TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Beef with Rick Shiels? He addresses on his new podcast

VtheGNMan

Good to see that so many people have such different opinions on this little golf drama, and are all conversing like adults. 👍 (Not sarcasm) 

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Don't disagree that that will give you information about one configuration of the club.   But just because the club is the fastest using a robot that doesn't mean it will be the fastest when it is in your hands.   There are multiple truths and you have identified one particular truth.  

Well actually yea. If its fastest with a robot butnot the fastest in your hands, then something is off… too much loft, etc. would need to make adjustments to maximize it. Or you just have a mental block and well… 🤷‍♂️

58 minutes ago, chisag said:

...  A robot will tell me little if anything. Even ball speed doesn't tell me much because trajectory, spin and swing speed can negate any increase in ball speed. That said it is good information to have and the more info the better. But as you said that info is not just technical aspects a robot can reveal but I wanna know how it plays. I remember the original remake of the Big Bertha and at that time it was the best feeling and sounding driver I had hit. A wonderful dense feel and muted sound. Some reviewers and especially younger wrx members commented how it just felt dead and lifeless compared to the explosive driver they had been playing so they really disliked it. One player looks at a Max head and thinks they can't hit something that large and the next guy thinks it gives them added confidence. 

... And while a robot can be very valuable and reveal many truths it cannot emulate average golfers swings. Just taking one over the top, out to in, face open, negative angle of attack, 89mph driver swing and if you change one of those variables like how open the face is, everything changes. Now the combination of incremental changes for that one swing has to be in the thousands if not millions. And we haven't even touched on shafts because unless you have carbon copy of Byron Nelsons swing, how you swing any given shaft cannot be duplicated by a robot, just the swing speed. 

No technology is helping that swing… truth 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Moose4282 said:

Well actually yea. If its fastest with a robot butnot the fastest in your hands, then something is off… too much loft, etc. would need to make adjustments to maximize it. Or you just have a mental block and well… 🤷‍♂️

Disagree.  The balance and weighting of the club can influence how you swing you might not  be able to generate the fastest swing speeds so you wouldn't get the fastest ball speeds.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Disagree.  The balance and weighting of the club can influence how you swing you might not  be able to generate the fastest swing speeds so you wouldn't get the fastest ball speeds.   

Sooo change the balance of the club… shafts, weights, grips… pretty standard stuff. If you are talking about cog placement… thats silly. Now i will say there can be placebo. For example if a club seems to not go left on a player, then they are more apt to swing harder because they dont fear that miss. Still doesnt invalidate a robot test to see of a face is faster or not

9 hours ago, Moose4282 said:

Sooo change the balance of the club… shafts, weights, grips… pretty standard stuff. If you are talking about cog placement… thats silly. Now i will say there can be placebo. For example if a club seems to not go left on a player, then they are more apt to swing harder because they dont fear that miss. Still doesnt invalidate a robot test to see of a face is faster or not

I am fine with robot testing but it really doesn’t help me as a player.  You have stated several times that fastest one a robot is fastest for a player.  Having tested lots of drivers including most of this years releases different drivers work better for player misses…One might be better high toe while another low heel.   I also know that  I swing different drivers at different speeds.  Sure I could customize the driver and maybe change increase speed but that doesn’t guarantee I would get same results as a robot.  Either way, robot testing is a valid test and can reveal information about a club.  That said, the intent of MGS testing is putting stock OTR configurations in a persons hands to see what works best for the masses.  They do this because 99% of all golfers purchase OTR without fitting.  Your last statement isn’t placebo, it is how people react to clubs.  

as for my evaluation, the Stealth has not been the “fastest” single top ball speed driver for me, but it was probably the most consistent for ball speeds when I miss hit the ball.  For me the Callaway and Cobra were faster based on single ball speed. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I can't speak to what was said on the main site as I don't know who/why what was said was said?

Whoever it was should step up. Staff is usually good about posting under their own handle. Making a comment like that behind a generic screen name is bush league and a huge disappointment. Not what I would have expected out of a site that claims to be all about truth and being transparent.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

TaylorMade massively overhyping a product? I don't believe you!!! /s

On a serious note, just my 30-mile view of this situation but MGS comes off quite petty, territorial and butthurt. Not a good look for MGS but that has been the rule rather than the exception of late. Which is why I find myself spending more of my time elsewhere. 

Was having a discussion with someone about the MGS perspective/visual/appearance  and this came to mind:

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

What you are missing is that a robot doesn't react to feel and looks;  it swings on the plane that is setup.  People react to feels,  I may leave the face open because of how it feels or because of visual queues hit snap hooks.  

Very True.  But Feel & Looks are a subjective review factors.  Ball speed, spin, distance are all numerical data points.

If you don't want to test forgiveness, then don't test mishits.  Set up the robot at 115mph for xstiff, 100 for stiff, 85 for regular and hit 25 shots with the standard set up and standard shaft.   I'll go on a very short limb and guess that the longest driver in that test would outsell the "most wanted" one.

There is a space out there in the golf influencer universe for someone willing to upset the OEM's.

ROGUE ST MAX 9* - Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65 Graphite stiff

GBB Epic Pro Tour 15* - Matrix Radix HD 7 stiff

Cleveland Mashie 20.5* - Miyazaki 5G Stiff

PXG O211 4-G - Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Callaway Mac Daddy CB 54* & 58* - KBS shafts.

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - PXG Multi-Material M16 Putter Shaft plumbers neck 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I am fine with robot testing but it really doesn’t help me as a player.  You have stated several times that fastest one a robot is fastest for a player.  Having tested lots of drivers including most of this years releases different drivers work better for player misses…One might be better high toe while another low heel.   I also know that  I swing different drivers at different speeds.  Sure I could customize the driver and maybe change increase speed but that doesn’t guarantee I would get same results as a robot.  Either way, robot testing is a valid test and can reveal information about a club.  That said, the intent of MGS testing is putting stock OTR configurations in a persons hands to see what works best for the masses.  They do this because 99% of all golfers purchase OTR without fitting.  Your last statement isn’t placebo, it is how people react to clubs.  

as for my evaluation, the Stealth has not been the “fastest” single top ball speed driver for me, but it was probably the most consistent for ball speeds when I miss hit the ball.  For me the Callaway and Cobra were faster based on single ball speed. 

This is almost certainly my professional background speaking here but... "time for some Robot vs. Hit Squad testing" 😆 We can neither refute nor support the claims without the data.  The challenge has been made; let's do this 👍.

Rock Em Sock Em Robots Gif GIFs | Tenor

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

23 minutes ago, Rob W. said:

But Feel & Looks are a subjective review factors.  Ball speed, spin, distance are all numerical data points.

My personal opinion on looks and feel is subjective.   How a person swings a particular club is what is being measured and the persons adaptation to everything about that club is what influences those numbers.  This is why different weighting, shafts, heads, and even how a club looks impacts how a club performs.  Ever said something like “this clubs looks really closed at address but I hit it so well” or “this club looks great, I don’t know why it performs poorly”.  

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Ever said something like “this clubs looks really closed at address but I hit it so well” or “this club looks great, I don’t know why it performs poorly”.  

That's why I play a 10 year old hybrid (only one that doesn't set up open) - but that's not on me 🙄😂

BTW.  In 15+ years of being an equipment fan boy there is only one marketing claim I can support.  The Ping G400max is the most forgiving driver ever.  I try to replace it every year and always go back to it. 

26 minutes ago, Rob W. said:

That's why I play a 10 year old hybrid (only one that doesn't set up open) - but that's not on me 🙄😂

BTW.  In 15+ years of being an equipment fan boy there is only one marketing claim I can support.  The Ping G400max is the most forgiving driver ever.  I try to replace it every year and always go back to it. 

That’s a whole other topic because forgiveness comes in different ways for different people. The g400 max wasn’t a good fit for me because the standard g400  produced better results. Others the lst is more forgiving because it’s knock’s off spin and improved launch characteristics. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The thing I have noticed most after watching every video review of the Stealth, not including robot testing as other than Moe Norman, we aren't robots, and every review and data set provided basically show that overall carry and total distance is down with this driver. There may be a reason the C4 was a flop 20 years ago and hasn't been revisited until now. This could be TM's C4 flop or it could be fan boyed in sales but fall off like the SLDR that fits merely a handful of people. Time will tell, but from everyone giving it an honest, real life, non robotic review, it just isn't that impressive. Maybe TM is just prepping for the rolling back of distance from clubs....

Edited by cardia10

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I am always a little chagrinned by golfers on golf forums complaining about hype and the marketing of golf clubs. Have you looked at new cars? Washers and dryers? Refrigerators? Audio/video equipment? Even buying stainless steel pots and pans you have to wade through the marketing of 1 ply, 3 ply or 5 ply and what about their bonding layers and or brand reputation makes them so much better. And this is just a stainless steel fry pan you put food in and cook, so really how different could they be? Fwiw, I ended up going with Misen and you can enjoy the "massively overhyped product" in the link below. I will say I am very happy with the purchase but had to compare all the top brands before making a decision. I would add I have always enjoyed Marketing and love reading between the lines before making my own decisions. 

... Capitalism promotes building a better mouse trap and hyping the he!! out of it. Did anyone need a Chia Pet? 🤣 As always it is the job of the consumer to research, try/demo and sift through the marketing. I imagine consumers might be a bit disillusioned to visit the TM website and see "We introduced a new driver. Made of Carbon and not Titanium. It tested well but it may or may not perform better than the driver you are playing. Email us for pictures". 

https://misen.com/pages/skillet-campaign?utm_content=TRYMISEN25&utm_price=57&utm_savings=18&utm_percent=25&msclkid=96764662b3e716ae27e52783020dc3a6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search+|+Brand+|+Misen+MC+CPA25&utm_term=misen+cookware

Yeah, but do your new pots and pans give you an additional 17 yards guaranteed?

For what it’s worth, I’m always a bit “chagrined” at the level of whataboutism the world has morphed itself into. Nicely done!

Suspecting there might be subtext here:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

For what it’s worth, I’m always a bit “chagrined” at the level of whataboutism the world has morphed itself into. Nicely done!

Nice to see you back here, hope you're doing well.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

maybe not 17 yards.... but...

can your DRIVER do that!? I didn't think so. 😉

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

maybe not 17 yards.... but...

can your DRIVER do that!? I didn't think so. 😉

Thanks now I’m hungry. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

MGS says that if you purchase a product linked to their site they get paid. OK, fair enough, but that also affects fair and balanced (sorry FOX) opinions. Money Money Money...the only person you can trust regarding anything is yourself and your decision.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... I am always a little chagrinned by golfers on golf forums complaining about hype and the marketing of golf clubs. Have you looked at new cars? Washers and dryers? Refrigerators? Audio/video equipment? Even buying stainless steel pots and pans you have to wade through the marketing of 1 ply, 3 ply or 5 ply and what about their bonding layers and or brand reputation makes them so much better. And this is just a stainless steel fry pan you put food in and cook, so really how different could they be? Fwiw, I ended up going with Misen and you can enjoy the "massively overhyped product" in the link below. I will say I am very happy with the purchase but had to compare all the top brands before making a decision. I would add I have always enjoyed Marketing and love reading between the lines before making my own decisions. 

... Capitalism promotes building a better mouse trap and hyping the he!! out of it. Did anyone need a Chia Pet? 🤣 As always it is the job of the consumer to research, try/demo and sift through the marketing. I imagine consumers might be a bit disillusioned to visit the TM website and see "We introduced a new driver. Made of Carbon and not Titanium. It tested well but it may or may not perform better than the driver you are playing. Email us for pictures". 

https://misen.com/pages/skillet-campaign?utm_content=TRYMISEN25&utm_price=57&utm_savings=18&utm_percent=25&msclkid=96764662b3e716ae27e52783020dc3a6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search+|+Brand+|+Misen+MC+CPA25&utm_term=misen+cookware

Listen all I know is a finger can poke a hole in 1/3/5/18 ply TP. Just stick with the 1 ply!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes

7FBDA49C-23E4-4D58-B40F-333EC25400F8.jpeg.4b66238a853425d059a2ad6ec3f6f465.jpeg

Is Jan 18th too soon to have a "post of the year" winner?

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Suspecting there might be subtext here:

Subtext or not, MGS going after any other party for any reason comes across as very petty and holier than thou.

I'm not even sure what Tony's point here would be. Any of the YouTube reviews take their jobs seriously, the reviews take them days to put together. They easily hit 200-300 shots with each driver they test. If one of them doesn't see any difference after 200 shots... How many more do they need to hit? 

Also, from as many as I've watched, they do often point out that different people will get different results and that all they can do is give their own feedback and opinion on any given product. 

At least twice in the last year Rick has even mentioned that the testing protocol that MGS uses vastly exceeds anything else available and is a real test where he is giving a review. 

I'm having to separate the forums from the blog lately. The forum is still one of the best spots, if not the best, for great discussion and content. The Blog however has become increasingly an echo chamber of less data and more opinion articles. I've actually ceased getting my information on product releases from the main page. I get it, they like Titleist golf balls, TM drivers, mizuno irons and fujikura shafts. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

3 hours ago, chisag said:

If this were a forum on cars, refrigerators or pots and pans we may be criticizing the over hype, but this is a golf forum   

11 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I'm having to separate the forums from the blog lately. The forum is still one of the best spots, if not the best, for great discussion and content. The Blog however has become increasingly an echo chamber of less data and more opinion articles. I've actually ceased getting my information on product releases from the main page. I get it, they like Titleist golf balls, TM drivers, mizuno irons and fujikura shafts. 

If John B writes it, I'll happily read it. Anyone else, however...

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game