TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Beef with Rick Shiels? He addresses on his new podcast

VtheGNMan

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... .... Fwiw, I ended up going with Misen and you can enjoy the "massively overhyped product" in the link below. I will say I am very happy with the purchase but had to compare all the top brands before making a decision........

Hey now....we all know that your results are only accurate for your kitchen environmental humidity (low moisture desert), on your specific burner type , with your fuel of choice and influenced by your exhaust fan at your altitude.....

I know my results will be waaay different given all those variables....  🤓

🤣

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Listen all I know is a finger can poke a hole in 1/3/5/18 ply TP. Just stick with the 1 ply!

I was a 1 ply user until the 'shortage' had me buying some two ply to stockpile.....

stumbled into a roll after a month or so and whhhoooooo baby.......lawdy lawdy that 2 ply is really livin' high and I ain't never going back!!  

@Lacassem ya only live once.....splurge on 2 ply!!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Personally I like both MGS and Shiels but in this case, forgetting whether the allegedly independent MGS should be so defensive in support of Taylor Made, and being disrespectful to Shiels, Shiels is not the only one suggesting very little difference in performance figures as both Michael Newton and Askgolfnut say the same. The latter however does talk about little drop off for off centre hits. Basically the Stealth will be one of several I will try in the next few months as I would never buy a club based just on the word of anyone 

Titleist woods, Mizuno Irons (nothing feels like a Mizuno), Vokey wedges, Odessey putter, Pro V1x ball.....simples

42 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

If John B writes it, I'll happily read it. Anyone else, however...

100%

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

19 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I was a 1 ply user until the 'shortage' had me buying some two ply to stockpile.....

stumbled into a roll after a month or so and whhhoooooo baby.......lawdy lawdy that 2 ply is really livin' high and I ain't never going back!!  

@Lacassem ya only live once.....splurge on 2 ply!!

(Not to hijacker’ this thread and turn it into a review on how to wipe you @$$ with cooshy trees) but I have truly found the 1 ply to be best 😂 the military has allowed me to save money on toiletries and spend it on overhyped golf equipment!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

(Not to hijacker’ this thread and turn it into a review on how to wipe you @$$ with cooshy trees) but I have truly found the 1 ply to be best 😂 the military has allowed me to save money on toiletries and spend it on overhyped golf equipment!

See, I think I end up using more then twice as many 1 ply sheets compared to when I use 2 ply. I think because I'm needing to use more of the roll on single ply, I end up saving on 2 ply. At least I like to think so. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

4 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Suspecting there might be subtext here:

At my index, that's only a little over 200 rounds of golf and about 3 years of play. Yeah, clearly not nearly enough to make a quality assessment 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Agree, disagree, or agree to disagree.   There are 3 winners here.

1- TW is getting free publicity for their new Stealth Driver, people are talking about it good, bad or indifferent.  This is what they want.

2 & 3 - Sheils and MGS, how many more eyes have visited their sites from the other b/c of this?   Would be interesting to see how many more views Shiels got this month b/c of this and many more visitors MGS got this month.   

My 2 putts…Sheils didn’t see much gain over last years tech and said as much, similar to when he tested the new Callaway Rogue Driver.   MGS poster states they saw gains for every MGS staffer that tested, no numbers were given so it has no validity to me.   Everyone’s ball speed  numbers went up…by how much, a just a couple MPH…10, 20 MPH?  No data was given and that IMO is disappointing from someone posting as MGS.

I do agree that MGS post seemed to want to point out that this is an envelope pushing new technology and could be tip of the spear for how golf clubs are made going forward.  Pointing out Shiels “meh” reivew of it seems unnecessary.

Edited by Joel C
word change

Keep swinging - JC

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811 XF (9°)

Wood(s): th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0341 XF (7w)

Irons:  :Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW

Wedges:   :Hogan: Equalizer II (56°, 60°)

Putter:  :ping-small: Zing Bronze

Ball:  image.png.5e3f3d4f8b31082a6504dff683a91313.png Tour X

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

They easily hit 200-300 shots with each driver they test. If one of them doesn't see any difference after 200 shots... How many more do they need to hit? 

Other than maybe rock Shiels what yt reviewer hits that many shots?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... I am always a little chagrinned by golfers on golf forums complaining about hype and the marketing of golf clubs. Have you looked at new cars? Washers and dryers? Refrigerators? Audio/video equipment? Even buying stainless steel pots and pans you have to wade through the marketing of 1 ply, 3 ply or 5 ply and what about their bonding layers and or brand reputation makes them so much better. And this is just a stainless steel fry pan you put food in and cook, so really how different could they be? Fwiw, I ended up going with Misen and you can enjoy the "massively overhyped product" in the link below. I will say I am very happy with the purchase but had to compare all the top brands before making a decision. I would add I have always enjoyed Marketing and love reading between the lines before making my own decisions. 

... Capitalism promotes building a better mouse trap and hyping the he!! out of it. Did anyone need a Chia Pet? 🤣 As always it is the job of the consumer to research, try/demo and sift through the marketing. I imagine consumers might be a bit disillusioned to visit the TM website and see "We introduced a new driver. Made of Carbon and not Titanium. It tested well but it may or may not perform better than the driver you are playing. Email us for pictures". 

https://misen.com/pages/skillet-campaign?utm_content=TRYMISEN25&utm_price=57&utm_savings=18&utm_percent=25&msclkid=96764662b3e716ae27e52783020dc3a6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search+|+Brand+|+Misen+MC+CPA25&utm_term=misen+cookware

This made me think of the movie Crazy People. It starred Dudley Moore as an advertising executive in a mental institution who gets some help from the other patients writing the slogans for his advertising campaigns. Everything the team dreams up is completely true. 

A0A25556-57C8-4272-864A-00E7A1B0E679.png.149023dcc005b895f09f09ea4c4c5b25.png

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

42 minutes ago, Joel C said:

2 & 3 - Sheils and MGS, how many more eyes have visited their sites from the other b/c of this?   Would be interesting to see how many more views Shiels got this month b/c of this and many more visitors MGS got this month. 

Interesting thought... reminds me of a similar event that went viral for a little while 🤣.  Which raises another question; who, if it wasn't Bryson or Brooks as a result of this drama, got the BIG PIP payout?

image.jpeg.0f8f38a5134094d8fc0d9e4d29c183e6.jpeg

I watch a lot of reviews on YouTube and that includes “No putts given “, Rick Shiels, James Robinson, among others. I clearly remember Rick saying MGS does true testing and he does reviews, big difference. Plus the vids we all watch are edited so more shots are taken than we see. We like watching these reviews because of the new shiny. Even extensive testing like MGS (appreciated as it is) wouldn’t change my mind without a fitting . Information from parties mentioned and others are awesome to have access to so we can try to get the best set possible for everyone’s personal needs. Even if one brand is clearly the best (unrealistic of course) there’s always someone who prefers another because performance will be better. The comment made about Rick Shiels was uncalled for, he does reviews. Don’t get on a high horse MGS, just keep up the good work and don’t worry about the reviewers.

Cobra F9 driver and 3 wood, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue regular flex 60 shafts in both. PXG 5 wood, Diamana S+ regular flex 60 shaft. Ben Hogan 4-PW irons, regular flex Recoil shafts, 70g. Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges, 48, 52, and 56 degrees, Recoil shafts. Scotty Cameron Futura 5S putter. Ping Pioneer bag. Garmin G80 range finder. Maxfli tour golf balls. 

1 hour ago, Joel C said:

MGS poster states they saw gains for every MGS staffer that tested, no numbers were given so it has no validity to me.   Everyone’s ball speed  numbers went up…by how much, a just a couple MPH…10, 20 MPH?  No data was given and that IMO is disappointing from someone posting as MGS.

The data (though extremely sparse) was in the blog post so I assume they didn't feel the need to repeat it. 

How does the TaylorMade Stealth driver perform?

With the pool of golfers that comes with Most Wanted testing, we’ll have a much better sense of how Stealth stacks up. Out of the gate, in our range session with Trackman and TaylorMade TP5 balls, we saw exceptional results.

These days, I typically hover around 158 mph ball speed. With the Stealth Plus, I repeatedly hit 162 and change (a personal best for me). Obvious (though not massive) mishits dipped to 158 mph or so while the total trash typically stayed above 150.

Our Harry Nodwell plays professionally. He’s typically in the 178 mph range but he repeatedly and consistently broke 180, including a personal best of 181.4.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Joel C said:

Agree, disagree, or agree to disagree.   There are 3 winners here.

1- TW is getting free publicity for their new Stealth Driver, people are talking about it good, bad or indifferent.  This is what they want.

My 2 putts…Sheils didn’t see much gain over last years tech and said as much, similar to when he tested the new Callaway Rogue Driver.   MGS poster states they saw gains for every MGS staffer that tested, no numbers were given so it has no validity to me.   Everyone’s ball speed  numbers went up…by how much, a just a couple MPH…10, 20 MPH?  No data was given and that IMO is disappointing from someone posting as MGS.

I do agree that MGS post seemed to want to point out that this is an envelope pushing new technology and could be tip of the spear for how golf clubs are made going forward.  Pointing out Shiels “meh” reivew of it seems unnecessary.

Didn’t think of it this way. Nice take 👍

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I miss the good old days where you just hire a professional long driver, film him smashing a half dozen bombs and then sell it after 11pm on PBS for $249.99

Hahahaha. “375 at least!” “Its not coming down”.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

11 minutes ago, Tyler86 said:

Hahahaha. “375 at least!” “Its not coming down”.

To be serious for a moment...

The Hammer driver folks were pioneers in attracting the propagandized golfer.  They knew there was that segment who would see this and think it has to work for me...Regardless of facts, people see what they want and believe the same.  

It cleared the path for the Killer Bee, Alien Wedge and even the tight lies...25 years later, despite the best efforts of small-time golf influencers and the MGS staff, there is a segment that will always remain inpentrable.  Facts won't matter when they choose their X brand driver even though the Y brand will be far better.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Other than maybe rock Shiels what yt reviewer hits that many shots?

I haven't seen them all, but I would bet a good steak dinner that Crossfield, Etches, TXG, Finch, etc all do. They are professionals making money off their reviews, they want to hit that club enough that they know what they are talking about. Even the non paid reviews done on this site hit hundreds of balls. Because we all want to put out a good review, paid or not. These guys are not just hitting 10 shots and calling that a wrap. They are reviewing what 10 drivers a year? They have the time and resources to hit 100's of shots. They are all given reviews of how they like the product. MGS MW is not a review, but a test. Calling out a reviewers opinion as invalid because they don't test the way you do is silly, they aren't trying to do what MGS does and aren't claiming that they are.  

All that aside, I'll echo what Rick said on his podcast, even if he did only hit 10 shots, if this club had crazy ball speeds why didn't he see them on the first one? You only get 1 swing on a tee box(hopefully). It needs to prove itself on hit 1.  But again, that really doesn't matter. I have an issue with MGS saying that your opinion isn't valid because you didn't do things their way.  If they said that to you, anyone on this forum or anyone else in the world that doesn't sit well with me. 

WITB:

This is social media doing what it does best... Bringing people together so they can murder each other...

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Gaming: Woods: Cobra Radspeed XB Driver, 3W, 5W, Cobra KING Forged TEC 4-PW, Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 48*/10* F Grind, 54*/12* D Grind, 60*/12* D Grind, Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 🙂

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I haven't seen them all, but I would bet a good steak dinner that Crossfield, Etches, TXG, Finch, etc all do. They are professionals making money off their reviews, they want to hit that club enough that they know what they are talking about. Even the non paid reviews done on this site hit hundreds of balls.

Alex hits a bunch of shots in his videos but I can’t see him hitting 200 shots per club especially they way he swings.

Its been a while since I’ve watched a txg video by I doubt Matt hits 200+ shots with a driver even though his swing is less violent than Alex’s swing. 

None of them show the number of shots they hit. But just because they are professional and want making money off their channels doesn’t mean they do things people thing they do. It’s about finding a way to get views and that’s usually by using titles that are or are close to click bait and using a good picture. 

Rick started out hitting 10 shots in his reviews and like others mentioned he talked about changing his method which the last time I watched any of his videos he was hitting some shots indoors (didn’t look like 100) and some on the course (combined didn’t look like 200+).

But again Rick is one person where as mgs has dozens of reviewers and several staff. The amount of data between mgs and any of the yt reviewers isn’t even close.

Yes the mgs reviewers hit hundreds of shots over the course of weeks. Not the same as Rick swinging away one day in his place and one day or same day on a course. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The amount of data between mgs and any of the yt reviewers isn’t even close.

Agreed. Lol, I didn't know we were debating this. Testing VS review. Absolutely. 

WITB:

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes the mgs reviewers hit hundreds of shots over the course of weeks. Not the same as Rick swinging away one day in his place and one day or same day on a course. 

Obviously you didn’t watch/listen to Shiels’ entire video. He literally talks about hitting balls with the Stealth over the period of more than a week, at a number of different facilities, weather conditions, indoors off a mat, outdoors, and from a hitting bay. 

Besides, in the original review video Shiels did that brought this whole thing to a head, Rick hits way more than 10 shots!!!

My overarching point to all this, there is obviously enough Kool-Aid to go around. MGS doesn’t need to perform drive-by’s on others in the same arena. 

14 hours ago, Thin2win said:

See, I think I end up using more then twice as many 1 ply sheets compared to when I use 2 ply. I think because I'm needing to use more of the roll on single ply, I end up saving on 2 ply. At least I like to think so. 

With two-ply you can turn it over and use the other side. 

12 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I haven't seen them all, but I would bet a good steak dinner that Crossfield, Etches, TXG, Finch, etc all do. They are professionals making money off their reviews, they want to hit that club enough that they know what they are talking about. Even the non paid reviews done on this site hit hundreds of balls.

Getting paid isn’t the point. MGS isn’t a charity, they’re making a living here too, even if there are also unpaid reviewers included. The question is how much if any money the source takes directly from OEMs. Golf Digest is the totally bought off by OEMs, I thought that’s what birthed MGS. We don’t really know what $ influence OEMs have on each YouTube golf channel, some have (Crossfield totally above board) and others we really don’t know. Some definitely get paid by golf apparel companies. Money? Equipment? T&E? As I understand it MGS does not take any $ from OEMs, not sure about buying the equipment (other than golf ball lab, they buy thru retail).

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

2 minutes ago, Middler said:

Getting paid isn’t the point. MGS isn’t a charity, they’re making a living here too, even if there are also unpaid reviewers included. The question is how much if any money the source takes directly from OEMs. Golf Digest is the totally bought off by OEMs, I thought that’s what birthed MGS. We don’t really know what $ influence OEMs have on each YouTube golf channel, some have (Crossfield totally above board) and others we really don’t know. Money? Equipment? T&E? As I understand it MGS does not take any $ from OEMs, not sure about buying the equipment (other than golf ball lab, they buy thru retail).

I'll just link this here for those to reference. Most of us know that companies such as Evnroll and Sub70 have been sponsors in the past and may still currently be? https://mygolfspy.com/advertise Either way this outlines their advertising packages and some options. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

13 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Calling out a reviewers opinion as invalid because they don't test the way you do is silly, they aren't trying to do what MGS does and aren't claiming that they are.  

That's the interesting thing - Rick is on record saying MGS has a much more thorough and rigorous testing protocol.  Looks to me like whoever wrote the MGS comment (might not even be a staff member) never heard him make that statement. 

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Getting paid isn’t the point. MGS isn’t a charity, they’re making a living here too, even if there are also unpaid reviewers included. The question is how much if any money the source takes directly from OEMs. Golf Digest is the totally bought off by OEMs, I thought that’s what birthed MGS. We don’t really know what $ influence OEMs have on each YouTube golf channel, some have (Crossfield totally above board) and others we really don’t know. Money? Equipment? T&E? As I understand it MGS does not take any $ from OEMs, not sure about buying the equipment (other than golf ball lab, they buy thru retail).

No, not the point of the MGS comment that started this discussion/debate, but by no means exclusive of product testing and how it might affect reviews.  You are absolutely correct that MGS is not a charity and needs to pay bills and make profit. How they walk the tightrope to do that and make product reviews as non-monetary influenced as possible I don't know.

I can say that my image of them, and why I place so much credence into their reviews, is based on two things.  First, that Adam founded the company (per his own story) for the explicit reason/purpose of providing the golfing community unbiased reviews of equipment.  And second, no less important to me, is that the testing is conducted by unpaid golfers whose ball striking prowess covers the range of amateurs like us.  Add to that the numerous forum product reviews on many of these same equipment, by "we the people", and that's the best I've ever found.

Adam does not strike me as someone who would start selling out his "Truth Digest" core principle.

Man, THREE threads in-a-row talking about Shiels and MGS and two weren’t even IN the “Shiels vs MGS” thread.

Good gracious. Aggravating.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

18 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Not saying they are accepting money, but they brought this melee on themselves. Attacking a reviewer who has said good things about mgs' methods because he said some mildly negative things, then giving an unnecessary defense of taylormade, when the review really wasn't bad (just tepid, as many have been about this product), is just terrible optics. Not sure why some of you don't see that. You can love this site without defending every single move they make. This was a screw up, period. And it gives the appearance, real or not, of too cozy a relationship with TM.

never mind. I had something written but I just can’t. I’m not doing this. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/