MGS Beef with Rick Shiels? He addresses on his new podcast

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... I am always a little chagrinned by golfers on golf forums complaining about hype and the marketing of golf clubs. Have you looked at new cars? Washers and dryers? Refrigerators? Audio/video equipment? Even buying stainless steel pots and pans you have to wade through the marketing of 1 ply, 3 ply or 5 ply and what about their bonding layers and or brand reputation makes them so much better. And this is just a stainless steel fry pan you put food in and cook, so really how different could they be? Fwiw, I ended up going with Misen and you can enjoy the "massively overhyped product" in the link below. I will say I am very happy with the purchase but had to compare all the top brands before making a decision. I would add I have always enjoyed Marketing and love reading between the lines before making my own decisions. 

... Capitalism promotes building a better mouse trap and hyping the he!! out of it. Did anyone need a Chia Pet? 🤣 As always it is the job of the consumer to research, try/demo and sift through the marketing. I imagine consumers might be a bit disillusioned to visit the TM website and see "We introduced a new driver. Made of Carbon and not Titanium. It tested well but it may or may not perform better than the driver you are playing. Email us for pictures". 

https://misen.com/pages/skillet-campaign?utm_content=TRYMISEN25&utm_price=57&utm_savings=18&utm_percent=25&msclkid=96764662b3e716ae27e52783020dc3a6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search+|+Brand+|+Misen+MC+CPA25&utm_term=misen+cookware

Listen all I know is a finger can poke a hole in 1/3/5/18 ply TP. Just stick with the 1 ply!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Suspecting there might be subtext here:

Subtext or not, MGS going after any other party for any reason comes across as very petty and holier than thou.

I'm not even sure what Tony's point here would be. Any of the YouTube reviews take their jobs seriously, the reviews take them days to put together. They easily hit 200-300 shots with each driver they test. If one of them doesn't see any difference after 200 shots... How many more do they need to hit? 

Also, from as many as I've watched, they do often point out that different people will get different results and that all they can do is give their own feedback and opinion on any given product. 

At least twice in the last year Rick has even mentioned that the testing protocol that MGS uses vastly exceeds anything else available and is a real test where he is giving a review. 

I'm having to separate the forums from the blog lately. The forum is still one of the best spots, if not the best, for great discussion and content. The Blog however has become increasingly an echo chamber of less data and more opinion articles. I've actually ceased getting my information on product releases from the main page. I get it, they like Titleist golf balls, TM drivers, mizuno irons and fujikura shafts. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... I am always a little chagrinned by golfers on golf forums complaining about hype and the marketing of golf clubs. Have you looked at new cars? Washers and dryers? Refrigerators? Audio/video equipment? Even buying stainless steel pots and pans you have to wade through the marketing of 1 ply, 3 ply or 5 ply and what about their bonding layers and or brand reputation makes them so much better. And this is just a stainless steel fry pan you put food in and cook, so really how different could they be? Fwiw, I ended up going with Misen and you can enjoy the "massively overhyped product" in the link below. I will say I am very happy with the purchase but had to compare all the top brands before making a decision. I would add I have always enjoyed Marketing and love reading between the lines before making my own decisions. 

... Capitalism promotes building a better mouse trap and hyping the he!! out of it. Did anyone need a Chia Pet? 🤣 As always it is the job of the consumer to research, try/demo and sift through the marketing. I imagine consumers might be a bit disillusioned to visit the TM website and see "We introduced a new driver. Made of Carbon and not Titanium. It tested well but it may or may not perform better than the driver you are playing. Email us for pictures". 

https://misen.com/pages/skillet-campaign?utm_content=TRYMISEN25&utm_price=57&utm_savings=18&utm_percent=25&msclkid=96764662b3e716ae27e52783020dc3a6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search+|+Brand+|+Misen+MC+CPA25&utm_term=misen+cookware

If this were a forum on cars, refrigerators or pots and pans we may be criticizing the over hype, but this is a golf forum   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I'm having to separate the forums from the blog lately. The forum is still one of the best spots, if not the best, for great discussion and content. The Blog however has become increasingly an echo chamber of less data and more opinion articles. I've actually ceased getting my information on product releases from the main page. I get it, they like Titleist golf balls, TM drivers, mizuno irons and fujikura shafts. 

If John B writes it, I'll happily read it. Anyone else, however...

• Like 5
  • Love 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:wilson_staff_small: D200 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... .... Fwiw, I ended up going with Misen and you can enjoy the "massively overhyped product" in the link below. I will say I am very happy with the purchase but had to compare all the top brands before making a decision........

Hey now....we all know that your results are only accurate for your kitchen environmental humidity (low moisture desert), on your specific burner type , with your fuel of choice and influenced by your exhaust fan at your altitude.....

I know my results will be waaay different given all those variables....  🤓

🤣

• Haha 2

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Listen all I know is a finger can poke a hole in 1/3/5/18 ply TP. Just stick with the 1 ply!

I was a 1 ply user until the 'shortage' had me buying some two ply to stockpile.....

stumbled into a roll after a month or so and whhhoooooo baby.......lawdy lawdy that 2 ply is really livin' high and I ain't never going back!!  

@Lacassem ya only live once.....splurge on 2 ply!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Personally I like both MGS and Shiels but in this case, forgetting whether the allegedly independent MGS should be so defensive in support of Taylor Made, and being disrespectful to Shiels, Shiels is not the only one suggesting very little difference in performance figures as both Michael Newton and Askgolfnut say the same. The latter however does talk about little drop off for off centre hits. Basically the Stealth will be one of several I will try in the next few months as I would never buy a club based just on the word of anyone 

• Like 3

Titleist woods, Mizuno Irons (nothing feels like a Mizuno), Vokey wedges, Odessey putter, Pro V1x ball.....simples

42 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

If John B writes it, I'll happily read it. Anyone else, however...

100%

• Like 3

WITB:

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

19 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I was a 1 ply user until the 'shortage' had me buying some two ply to stockpile.....

stumbled into a roll after a month or so and whhhoooooo baby.......lawdy lawdy that 2 ply is really livin' high and I ain't never going back!!  

@Lacassem ya only live once.....splurge on 2 ply!!

(Not to hijacker’ this thread and turn it into a review on how to wipe you @$$ with cooshy trees) but I have truly found the 1 ply to be best 😂 the military has allowed me to save money on toiletries and spend it on overhyped golf equipment!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

(Not to hijacker’ this thread and turn it into a review on how to wipe you @$$ with cooshy trees) but I have truly found the 1 ply to be best 😂 the military has allowed me to save money on toiletries and spend it on overhyped golf equipment!

See, I think I end up using more then twice as many 1 ply sheets compared to when I use 2 ply. I think because I'm needing to use more of the roll on single ply, I end up saving on 2 ply. At least I like to think so. 

• Like 3

WITB:

4 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Suspecting there might be subtext here:

At my index, that's only a little over 200 rounds of golf and about 3 years of play. Yeah, clearly not nearly enough to make a quality assessment 🙂.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Agree, disagree, or agree to disagree.   There are 3 winners here.

1- TW is getting free publicity for their new Stealth Driver, people are talking about it good, bad or indifferent.  This is what they want.

2 & 3 - Sheils and MGS, how many more eyes have visited their sites from the other b/c of this?   Would be interesting to see how many more views Shiels got this month b/c of this and many more visitors MGS got this month.   

My 2 putts…Sheils didn’t see much gain over last years tech and said as much, similar to when he tested the new Callaway Rogue Driver.   MGS poster states they saw gains for every MGS staffer that tested, no numbers were given so it has no validity to me.   Everyone’s ball speed  numbers went up…by how much, a just a couple MPH…10, 20 MPH?  No data was given and that IMO is disappointing from someone posting as MGS.

I do agree that MGS post seemed to want to point out that this is an envelope pushing new technology and could be tip of the spear for how golf clubs are made going forward.  Pointing out Shiels “meh” reivew of it seems unnecessary.

Edited by Joel C
word change
  • Like 9

Keep swinging - JC

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811 XF (9°)

Wood(s): th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0341 XF (7w)

Irons:  :Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW

Wedges:   :Hogan: Equalizer II (56°, 60°)

Putter:  :ping-small: Zing Bronze

Ball:  image.png.5e3f3d4f8b31082a6504dff683a91313.png Tour X

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

They easily hit 200-300 shots with each driver they test. If one of them doesn't see any difference after 200 shots... How many more do they need to hit? 

Other than maybe rock Shiels what yt reviewer hits that many shots?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 hours ago, chisag said:

This made me think of the movie Crazy People. It starred Dudley Moore as an advertising executive in a mental institution who gets some help from the other patients writing the slogans for his advertising campaigns. Everything the team dreams up is completely true. 

A0A25556-57C8-4272-864A-00E7A1B0E679.png.149023dcc005b895f09f09ea4c4c5b25.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

TaylorMade Supreme Hybrid Stand Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

PXG 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

Ping G30 19° 3 Hybrid w/Ping TFC 419H

Ping G25 4 - UW w/Ping CFS

Callaway Mack Daddy CB 54°/14° w/KBS 105 Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway MD3 58°/9° W Grind w/True Temper Dynamic Gold 

Evnroll ER11v 34” Evnroll ER11v Official Review

Snell MTB-Black or Maxfli Tour

Mileseey PF210 Laser Rangefinder

Clicgear 3.5+

42 minutes ago, Joel C said:

2 & 3 - Sheils and MGS, how many more eyes have visited their sites from the other b/c of this?   Would be interesting to see how many more views Shiels got this month b/c of this and many more visitors MGS got this month. 

Interesting thought... reminds me of a similar event that went viral for a little while 🤣.  Which raises another question; who, if it wasn't Bryson or Brooks as a result of this drama, got the BIG PIP payout?

image.jpeg.0f8f38a5134094d8fc0d9e4d29c183e6.jpeg

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

I watch a lot of reviews on YouTube and that includes “No putts given “, Rick Shiels, James Robinson, among others. I clearly remember Rick saying MGS does true testing and he does reviews, big difference. Plus the vids we all watch are edited so more shots are taken than we see. We like watching these reviews because of the new shiny. Even extensive testing like MGS (appreciated as it is) wouldn’t change my mind without a fitting . Information from parties mentioned and others are awesome to have access to so we can try to get the best set possible for everyone’s personal needs. Even if one brand is clearly the best (unrealistic of course) there’s always someone who prefers another because performance will be better. The comment made about Rick Shiels was uncalled for, he does reviews. Don’t get on a high horse MGS, just keep up the good work and don’t worry about the reviewers.

• Like 8

Cobra F9 driver and 3 wood, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue regular flex 60 shafts in both. PXG 5 wood, Diamana S+ regular flex 60 shaft. Ben Hogan 4-PW irons, regular flex Recoil shafts, 70g. Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges, 48, 52, and 56 degrees, Recoil shafts. Scotty Cameron Futura 5S putter. Ping Pioneer bag. Garmin G80 range finder. Maxfli tour golf balls. 

1 hour ago, Joel C said:

MGS poster states they saw gains for every MGS staffer that tested, no numbers were given so it has no validity to me.   Everyone’s ball speed  numbers went up…by how much, a just a couple MPH…10, 20 MPH?  No data was given and that IMO is disappointing from someone posting as MGS.

The data (though extremely sparse) was in the blog post so I assume they didn't feel the need to repeat it. 

How does the TaylorMade Stealth driver perform?

With the pool of golfers that comes with Most Wanted testing, we’ll have a much better sense of how Stealth stacks up. Out of the gate, in our range session with Trackman and TaylorMade TP5 balls, we saw exceptional results.

These days, I typically hover around 158 mph ball speed. With the Stealth Plus, I repeatedly hit 162 and change (a personal best for me). Obvious (though not massive) mishits dipped to 158 mph or so while the total trash typically stayed above 150.

Our Harry Nodwell plays professionally. He’s typically in the 178 mph range but he repeatedly and consistently broke 180, including a personal best of 181.4.

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

1 hour ago, Joel C said:

Agree, disagree, or agree to disagree.   There are 3 winners here.

1- TW is getting free publicity for their new Stealth Driver, people are talking about it good, bad or indifferent.  This is what they want.

My 2 putts…Sheils didn’t see much gain over last years tech and said as much, similar to when he tested the new Callaway Rogue Driver.   MGS poster states they saw gains for every MGS staffer that tested, no numbers were given so it has no validity to me.   Everyone’s ball speed  numbers went up…by how much, a just a couple MPH…10, 20 MPH?  No data was given and that IMO is disappointing from someone posting as MGS.

I do agree that MGS post seemed to want to point out that this is an envelope pushing new technology and could be tip of the spear for how golf clubs are made going forward.  Pointing out Shiels “meh” reivew of it seems unnecessary.

Didn’t think of it this way. Nice take 👍

• Like 3

Check out my reviews:

WITB: