MGS Beef with Rick Shiels? He addresses on his new podcast

This is social media doing what it does best... Bringing people together so they can murder each other...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Gaming: Woods: Cobra Radspeed XB Driver, 3W, 5W, Cobra KING Forged TEC 4-PW, Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 48*/10* F Grind, 54*/12* D Grind, 60*/12* D Grind, Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 🙂

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I haven't seen them all, but I would bet a good steak dinner that Crossfield, Etches, TXG, Finch, etc all do. They are professionals making money off their reviews, they want to hit that club enough that they know what they are talking about. Even the non paid reviews done on this site hit hundreds of balls.

Alex hits a bunch of shots in his videos but I can’t see him hitting 200 shots per club especially they way he swings.

Its been a while since I’ve watched a txg video by I doubt Matt hits 200+ shots with a driver even though his swing is less violent than Alex’s swing. 

None of them show the number of shots they hit. But just because they are professional and want making money off their channels doesn’t mean they do things people thing they do. It’s about finding a way to get views and that’s usually by using titles that are or are close to click bait and using a good picture. 

Rick started out hitting 10 shots in his reviews and like others mentioned he talked about changing his method which the last time I watched any of his videos he was hitting some shots indoors (didn’t look like 100) and some on the course (combined didn’t look like 200+).

But again Rick is one person where as mgs has dozens of reviewers and several staff. The amount of data between mgs and any of the yt reviewers isn’t even close.

Yes the mgs reviewers hit hundreds of shots over the course of weeks. Not the same as Rick swinging away one day in his place and one day or same day on a course. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The amount of data between mgs and any of the yt reviewers isn’t even close.

Agreed. Lol, I didn't know we were debating this. Testing VS review. Absolutely. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes the mgs reviewers hit hundreds of shots over the course of weeks. Not the same as Rick swinging away one day in his place and one day or same day on a course. 

Obviously you didn’t watch/listen to Shiels’ entire video. He literally talks about hitting balls with the Stealth over the period of more than a week, at a number of different facilities, weather conditions, indoors off a mat, outdoors, and from a hitting bay. 

Besides, in the original review video Shiels did that brought this whole thing to a head, Rick hits way more than 10 shots!!!

My overarching point to all this, there is obviously enough Kool-Aid to go around. MGS doesn’t need to perform drive-by’s on others in the same arena. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Thin2win said:

See, I think I end up using more then twice as many 1 ply sheets compared to when I use 2 ply. I think because I'm needing to use more of the roll on single ply, I end up saving on 2 ply. At least I like to think so. 

With two-ply you can turn it over and use the other side. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I haven't seen them all, but I would bet a good steak dinner that Crossfield, Etches, TXG, Finch, etc all do. They are professionals making money off their reviews, they want to hit that club enough that they know what they are talking about. Even the non paid reviews done on this site hit hundreds of balls.

Getting paid isn’t the point. MGS isn’t a charity, they’re making a living here too, even if there are also unpaid reviewers included. The question is how much if any money the source takes directly from OEMs. Golf Digest is the totally bought off by OEMs, I thought that’s what birthed MGS. We don’t really know what $ influence OEMs have on each YouTube golf channel, some have (Crossfield totally above board) and others we really don’t know. Some definitely get paid by golf apparel companies. Money? Equipment? T&E? As I understand it MGS does not take any $ from OEMs, not sure about buying the equipment (other than golf ball lab, they buy thru retail).

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

2 minutes ago, Middler said:

Getting paid isn’t the point. MGS isn’t a charity, they’re making a living here too, even if there are also unpaid reviewers included. The question is how much if any money the source takes directly from OEMs. Golf Digest is the totally bought off by OEMs, I thought that’s what birthed MGS. We don’t really know what $ influence OEMs have on each YouTube golf channel, some have (Crossfield totally above board) and others we really don’t know. Money? Equipment? T&E? As I understand it MGS does not take any $ from OEMs, not sure about buying the equipment (other than golf ball lab, they buy thru retail).

I'll just link this here for those to reference. Most of us know that companies such as Evnroll and Sub70 have been sponsors in the past and may still currently be? https://mygolfspy.com/advertise Either way this outlines their advertising packages and some options. 

• Like 5

⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

13 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Calling out a reviewers opinion as invalid because they don't test the way you do is silly, they aren't trying to do what MGS does and aren't claiming that they are.  

That's the interesting thing - Rick is on record saying MGS has a much more thorough and rigorous testing protocol.  Looks to me like whoever wrote the MGS comment (might not even be a staff member) never heard him make that statement. 

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Getting paid isn’t the point. MGS isn’t a charity, they’re making a living here too, even if there are also unpaid reviewers included. The question is how much if any money the source takes directly from OEMs. Golf Digest is the totally bought off by OEMs, I thought that’s what birthed MGS. We don’t really know what $ influence OEMs have on each YouTube golf channel, some have (Crossfield totally above board) and others we really don’t know. Money? Equipment? T&E? As I understand it MGS does not take any $ from OEMs, not sure about buying the equipment (other than golf ball lab, they buy thru retail).

No, not the point of the MGS comment that started this discussion/debate, but by no means exclusive of product testing and how it might affect reviews.  You are absolutely correct that MGS is not a charity and needs to pay bills and make profit. How they walk the tightrope to do that and make product reviews as non-monetary influenced as possible I don't know.

I can say that my image of them, and why I place so much credence into their reviews, is based on two things.  First, that Adam founded the company (per his own story) for the explicit reason/purpose of providing the golfing community unbiased reviews of equipment.  And second, no less important to me, is that the testing is conducted by unpaid golfers whose ball striking prowess covers the range of amateurs like us.  Add to that the numerous forum product reviews on many of these same equipment, by "we the people", and that's the best I've ever found.

Adam does not strike me as someone who would start selling out his "Truth Digest" core principle.

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Man, THREE threads in-a-row talking about Shiels and MGS and two weren’t even IN the “Shiels vs MGS” thread.

Good gracious. Aggravating.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

18 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Not saying they are accepting money, but they brought this melee on themselves. Attacking a reviewer who has said good things about mgs' methods because he said some mildly negative things, then giving an unnecessary defense of taylormade, when the review really wasn't bad (just tepid, as many have been about this product), is just terrible optics. Not sure why some of you don't see that. You can love this site without defending every single move they make. This was a screw up, period. And it gives the appearance, real or not, of too cozy a relationship with TM.

never mind. I had something written but I just can’t. I’m not doing this. 

• Like 6
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ.1 LAGolf P135 
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Western, NY - Go Bills!

5.1 Index

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Man, THREE threads in-a-row talking about Shiels and MGS and two weren’t even IN the “Shiels vs MGS” thread.

Good gracious. Aggravating.

It's this or talk about CC buying TXG 😂 

I blame Hawaiian golf and snow on the ground

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

12 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Alex hits a bunch of shots in his videos but I can’t see him hitting 200 shots per club especially they way he swings.

Its been a while since I’ve watched a txg video by I doubt Matt hits 200+ shots with a driver even though his swing is less violent than Alex’s swing. 

None of them show the number of shots they hit. But just because they are professional and want making money off their channels doesn’t mean they do things people thing they do. It’s about finding a way to get views and that’s usually by using titles that are or are close to click bait and using a good picture. 

Rick started out hitting 10 shots in his reviews and like others mentioned he talked about changing his method which the last time I watched any of his videos he was hitting some shots indoors (didn’t look like 100) and some on the course (combined didn’t look like 200+).

But again Rick is one person where as mgs has dozens of reviewers and several staff. The amount of data between mgs and any of the yt reviewers isn’t even close.

But why does this matter. Shiels isn’t saying he is hitting as many balls as MGS. 

He doesn’t need to hit as many in order to have enough of an experience to give an informed, accurate opinion based on what he experienced. 

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

Obviously you didn’t watch/listen to Shiels’ entire video. He literally talks about hitting balls with the Stealth over the period of more than a week, at a number of different facilities, weather conditions, indoors off a mat, outdoors, and from a hitting bay. 

Besides, in the original review video Shiels did that brought this whole thing to a head, Rick hits way more than 10 shots!!!

My overarching point to all this, there is obviously enough Kool-Aid to go around. MGS doesn’t need to perform drive-by’s on others in the same arena. 

You picked a piece of a comment that stated I haven’t watched his videos in years so the likelihood I listened his podcast is pretty low. But no I didn’t and won’t. Ricks content isn’t appealing to me anymore and there’s nothing I’ve learned or gained from him when I didn’t watch his videos. 

Ricks equipment knowledge is on or with what one can find from reading golf websites and his understanding of numbers pales in comparison to TXG and that of members on another forum who are and have done fittings for their career. He’s far from the best instructor on yt. 

MGs didn’t do a drive by. The comment they replied to brought up Rick, they then applied to reply to rick. Mgs didn’t bring Rick into the conversation he was already there. 

6 minutes ago, LICC said:

But why does this matter. Shiels isn’t saying he is hitting as many balls as MGS. 

He doesn’t need to hit as many in order to have enough of an experience to give an informed, accurate opinion based on what he experienced. 

It matters because the point of mgs rad about how many shots Rick hits compared to the data mgs has. They have 9000 shots 1/2 way thru 2022 most wanted driver testing, now add that to the the amount of data they have from previous years.

Not to mention the amount of analysis mgs does with that data compared to Rick.

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

This is where I really have a hard time with the guys alleging MGS is somehow taking backdoor cash.  Yes, they sell ad revenue and yes, they are transparent about the fact.  Nothing in this world is free, but to allege they are somehow influenced is bonkers.

I mean, Tommy Armour won the most wanted mallet in consecutive years...Tommy Armour...

Some folks just love themselves a good old fashioned conspiracy theory.

That's not what my post said, so not sure why you quoted me...are are you reinforcing?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Middler said:

That's not what my post said, so not sure why you quoted me...are are you reinforcing?

It’s literally complementing your post…not sure what’s confusing…

• Like 1

Western, NY - Go Bills!

5.1 Index

2 hours ago, Riverboat said:

It's about MGS taking an unprofessional and unwarranted shot at him, and unnecessarily coming to the defense of a company that has plenty of resources to defend itself, and the bad look that is for a group that claims to be totally independent and unbiased.

... One of my favorite lines from Nilsson's The Point came from The Rockman "You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear". I saw and heard MGS defend their actual findings concerning a brand new technology. I did not see or hear them defend any OEM. HUGE difference. 

• Like 7

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

34 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It’s literally complementing your post…not sure what’s confusing…

Apologies, I wasn't sure how to take your comment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Middler said:

Apologies, I wasn't sure how to take your comment. 

All good 😊 

You made a good point and it was worth propping up. 

• Like 2

Western, NY - Go Bills!

5.1 Index

3 hours ago, Thin2win said:

It's this or talk about CC buying TXG 😂