Jump to content

MGS Beef with Rick Shiels? He addresses on his new podcast


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, LICC said:

But why does this matter. Shiels isn’t saying he is hitting as many balls as MGS. 

He doesn’t need to hit as many in order to have enough of an experience to give an informed, accurate opinion based on what he experienced. 

Exactly. This isn't about who's testing procedure is better. Shiels acknowledged how good MGS' techniques are. It's about MGS taking an unprofessional and unwarranted shot at him, and unnecessarily coming to the defense of a company that has plenty of resources to defend itself, and the bad look that is for a group that claims to be totally independent and unbiased. Again, you can support a site without blindly supporting everything they say and do. The world has far too much of that today, in far more dangerous places than a golf forum. 

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

This is where I really have a hard time with the guys alleging MGS is somehow taking backdoor cash.  Yes, they sell ad revenue and yes, they are transparent about the fact.  Nothing in this world is free, but to allege they are somehow influenced is bonkers.

I mean, Tommy Armour won the most wanted mallet in consecutive years...Tommy Armour...

Some folks just love themselves a good old fashioned conspiracy theory.

That's not what my post said, so not sure why you quoted me...are are you reinforcing?

  • Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Middler said:

That's not what my post said, so not sure why you quoted me...are are you reinforcing?

It’s literally complementing your post…not sure what’s confusing…

  • Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5 / Testing Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Official 1/12 testers for 2022 L.A.B. Golf Putters

Western, NY

5.8 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Riverboat said:

It's about MGS taking an unprofessional and unwarranted shot at him, and unnecessarily coming to the defense of a company that has plenty of resources to defend itself, and the bad look that is for a group that claims to be totally independent and unbiased.

 

... One of my favorite lines from Nilsson's The Point came from The Rockman "You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear". I saw and heard MGS defend their actual findings concerning a brand new technology. I did not see or hear them defend any OEM. HUGE difference. 

  • Like 7

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-MT SR 
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec/4i FTx ... KBS TGi 85S
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It’s literally complementing your post…not sure what’s confusing…

Apologies, I wasn't sure how to take your comment. 

  • Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Middler said:

Apologies, I wasn't sure how to take your comment. 

All good 😊 

 

You made a good point and it was worth propping up. 

  • Like 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5 / Testing Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Official 1/12 testers for 2022 L.A.B. Golf Putters

Western, NY

5.8 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Thin2win said:

It's this or talk about CC buying TXG 😂 

I blame Hawaiian golf and snow on the ground

Nothing else to do till 6pm!!!!!! 🌺🌴🏌️

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... One of my favorite lines from Nilsson's The Point came from The Rockman "You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear". I saw and heard MGS defend their actual findings concerning a brand new technology. I did not see or hear them defend any OEM. HUGE difference. 

"It's really unfortunate that someone hitting 5-10 shots with a driver can impact a company that has worked 20 years to develop."

This is not a defense of MGS findings. It is an untrue, unwarranted, unprofessional attack on a person who has expressed admiration for MGS procedures. 

"This wasn't just words and an ad, they actually pushed an envelope and made something better and moved a technology forward for golfers. "

Again, no defense of MGS findings-- which nobody questioned to begin with, but virtually an ad for TM.

As you said, you see what you want to see, but I think I'd need some distorted glasses to not see these statements for what they clearly are. 

  • Like 2

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Golf equipment reviews remind me of hi fi equipment reviews back in the days when people bought LPs and CDs rather than streamed music on their telephones....and spent serious money on the equipment to play them.

One kind of reviewer talked about esoteric sound qualities (like "liquidity") in terms that nobody could understand,

and the other kind of reviewer said,

"There are a lot of great premium loudspeakers on the market today and

the "Wilson WATT/Puppy" is one of them."

Rick seems to be one of the latter, which makes him easier for me to understand.

  • Like 3

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

Golf equipment reviews remind me of hi fi equipment reviews back in the days when people bought LPs and CDs rather than streamed music on their telephones....and spent serious money on the equipment to play them.

One kind of reviewer talked about esoteric sound qualities (like "liquidity") in terms that nobody could understand,

and the other kind of reviewer said,

"There are a lot of great premium loudspeakers on the market today and

the "Wilson WATT/Puppy" is one of them."

Rick seems to be one of the latter, which makes him easier for me to understand.

Exactly, and there's a place and an audience for both. No need to be sniping back and forth. 

Also, what shiels and many point out is that differences between equipment (including the stealth) these days are very small. That's not an attack on the stealth or any other club, it's a fact. 

Using another music analogy there was a time when Fender and Gibson were head and shoulders above other guitar makers. If you paid less, you got very inferior products. Today, there are so many good guitars available for well under 500 bucks that unless you make your living playing them, the only reason to buy those brands is because you have always wanted one. That's all that shiels and the others are saying when they find that the differences in reputable drivers from the past 5 years or so are very small. If you want a new stealth, or rogue, or whatever, go get it, but it's not going to have an appreciable influence on most people's game. 

  • Like 3

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

"It's really unfortunate that someone hitting 5-10 shots with a driver can impact a company that has worked 20 years to develop."

This is not a defense of MGS findings. It is an untrue, unwarranted, unprofessional attack on a person who has expressed admiration for MGS procedures. 

"This wasn't just words and an ad, they actually pushed an envelope and made something better and moved a technology forward for golfers. "

Again, no defense of MGS findings-- which nobody questioned to begin with, but virtually an ad for TM.

As you said, you see what you want to see, but I think I'd need some distorted glasses to not see these statements for what they clearly are. 

 

... I think the responses have been pretty universal that MGS took an uncalled for cheap shot. Not sure why you keep bringing this up. 

... So if it had been Tour Edge or XXIO would you still feel offended? These are blogs meant for hard core equipment golfers so the nuts and bolts are much more important than the OEM making the product. Again, maybe my perspective is different as a reviewer but when I ran across a true technological breakthrough I was pretty excited to share it.

... When everyone was touting forward weighting after the "success" of the SLDR, Cobra moved weight low and to the very rear of the Fly Z and it changed the way drivers were produced. But Cobra engineers took it a step farther and offered an even heavier rear weight at 18gms that was a game changer for most average golfers. They called it a "Fairway Finder" and every engineer played the Fly Z with the exception of one ex D1 college player that used the LTD. I probably sold 25-50 of those drivers with my review and constant promotions anywhere I could influence a player to demo one. I was not promoting Cobra, I was promoting the Fly Z and the breakthrough in performance it produced. I have never promoted a single product anywhere near as much h as the Fly Z because it worked for such a wide range of players. In fact I was disappointed in the LTD because while it could be longer than the Fly Z on perfect center hits, LTD mishits were nowhere near as good and it was the opposite of a Fairway Finder. for me. Again, not a knock against Cobra, a knock of a product that did not work for average golfers. But of course you see what you want to see so you are free to believe whatever you want ... 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-MT SR 
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec/4i FTx ... KBS TGi 85S
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... I think the responses have been pretty universal that MGS took an uncalled for cheap shot. Not sure why you keep bringing this up. 

... So if it had been Tour Edge or XXIO would you still feel offended? These are blogs meant for hard core equipment golfers so the nuts and bolts are much more important than the OEM making the product. Again, maybe my perspective is different as a reviewer but when I ran across a true technological breakthrough I was pretty excited to share 

When you quoted me earlier, you included the part about the cheap shot, so I thought you were also defending that. Glad to hear you are not. 

Not sure why you think it's the TM part that upset me. I've played more TM equipment over the years than any other brand, so I have no issue with them. I also have no issue with MGS getting excited about a product in their own tests and reviews. The look doesn't become bad until you go out of your way to provide an unsolicited critique of someone else's review complete with a personal attack and a fan boy plug for that company in your comments. That is going beyond the norm. I'm okay that you're okay with that. Clearly, I and many others aren't. Just think MGS should be aware of that so they can consider it next time they think about taking this type of action. 

  • Like 1

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Riverboat said:

When you quoted me earlier, you included the part about the cheap shot, so I thought you were also defending that. Glad to hear you are not. 

Not sure why you think it's the TM part that upset me. I've played more TM equipment over the years than any other brand, so I have no issue with them. I also have no issue with MGS getting excited about a product in their own tests and reviews. The look doesn't become bad until you go out of your way to provide an unsolicited critique of someone else's review complete with a personal attack and a fan boy plug for that company in your comments. That is going beyond the norm. I'm okay that you're okay with that. Clearly, I and many others aren't. Just think MGS should be aware of that so they can consider it next time they think about taking this type of action. 

You really are reading stuff that isn’t there in the comment. They didn’t fanboy the brand or the club. They pointed out what they saw from the staff that hit it, talked about the technology and that they’ve never seen that type of ball speed increase before.

They also don’t take a cheap shot at Rick. They posted out his method and the difference in how much data they have compared to Rick.

People will see what they want to see and read especially when they already have a bone to pick with whoever is writing in this case those pointing out the comment about Rick all have made their qualms with mgs on various subjects knows in other thread over time. This gives you and them another opportunity to find fault and go after mgs staff.

 

  • Haha 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You really are reading stuff that isn’t there in the comment. They didn’t fanboy the brand or the club. They pointed out what they saw from the staff that hit it, talked about the technology and that they’ve never seen that type of ball speed increase before.

They also don’t take a cheap shot at Rick. They posted out his method and the difference in how much data they have compared to Rick.

People will see what they want to see and read especially when they already have a bone to pick with whoever is writing in this case those pointing out the comment about Rick all have made their qualms with mgs on various subjects knows in other thread over time. This gives you and them another opportunity to find fault and go after mgs staff.

 

It read like an unnecessary, unsolicited cheap shot at Rick to me as well. But i didnt take it as a Taylormade “fan boy” post either. Just someone excited about a new product’s results. 

  • Like 3

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't social media wonderful?  I really don't know what we would do without it.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2022 at 8:05 PM, bens197 said:

I miss the good old days where you just hire a professional long driver, film him smashing a half dozen bombs and then sell it after 11pm on PBS for $249.99

 

 

What in the heck is this?  Haha.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is quite a debate.  My take on every organization that does reviews is based on human nature.  If you're getting paid you are going to be biased.  That includes golf sites, truck sites, cars etc.  Sure there is valuable feedback and information gained from all sites with tests and reviews.  But if there's money involved and jobs then there will be bias.

That being said, I play what I like and not what anyone else likes or says I should play.  Only I can determine which is the best set of cubs for me.  My bag includes TaylorMade, Mizuno, Titleist and Scotty putter.  All of which are excellent and allow me to enjoy the game.

  • Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 woods, PXG 5 wood, TaylorMade Wedges, Mizuno irons, Scotty Cameron putter and TP5/ProV1x golf balls. 

Club Champ and Long Drive Champ.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Shankster said:

What in the heck is this?  Haha.  

Some kids who clearly have an amazing sense of humor. 🙂

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5 / Testing Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Official 1/12 testers for 2022 L.A.B. Golf Putters

Western, NY

5.8 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love to think "MYGOLFSPY" was simply a troller in disguise.  But, I think those comments are all vetted by someone or...something. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

:ping-small:        G400 Max, PX Evenflow Blue 6.0s, until the adapter comes loose again in 5 swings. 😥

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg PXV R. Aldila RIP 70 R; King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:wilson_staff_small: C300 cast irons 5-PW. Fujikura graphite R 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

 

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...