Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Do you play in a league?

Do you play in a league?   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently play in a golf league?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but have in the Past
    • No, but plan to in the future

I'm curious how many people play in a league and how many play casual rounds only.  I'm planning on signing up for my first weekly league this summer and would love to hear your experiences.  

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

I've played in a few leagues. The most recent ones I had two issues. 

The first was run by the course so no one was ever interested in getting to know the other players. Everyone showed up at their time, played 9 holes and left.

The second league was much friendlier guys, but I was in my early 30s and about 75% of the golfers were over 65. They would have out both before and after, have a few beers, play team events, and have 2 big cookouts. Though only 1 guy was interested in playing more than 9 a week. So I left.

I was also in a traveling league one year, and those guys represented everything wrong with golf. Every round was an 8-9 hour day. Overly complicated games every week, 6+ hour rounds, and most of the courses were an hour drive. Also most of league were reported as single hcps, but maybe 3 guys of 40 would break 90 in a given week. And everything played under strict USGA rules, hole out everything.

The best league was the one my dad brought me in, in high school. These guys would be there on time, play a serious round in under 2 hours, and then all hang out and a group of us go for dinner and beers (coke for me) after. There were a few guys my dad would play with on weekends and other outings too. Every week there were 2 games and skins. This is what I thought league golf was supposed to be, this is it manifest.

I've been disappointed with every experience since and I'm happy to just play with my friends. I joined these leagues looking to make contacts and find like minded and similarly skilled players and went 0 for 3. I'm done with leagues and will just play with my friends.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I played in golf leagues through work. Three out of the four companies I worked for had a golf league. For the most part they were all fun. Typicially 9 hole rounds handicaps were based on leabue play only. One league was single play. You were paired against a different person each week and accumulated points. 2 for a win and 1 for a tie. We played two six week sessions with an 18 hole scramble mid season. Beers, burgers and ribbing each other after every round.

Also played two man teams and accumulated points the same as above at the next company.

Currently our league disbanded at my current employer. It was a decent league for quite a few years but we had slightly offset shifts and some would go out earlier and turn in score cards. Never got to see everyone and no one hung around after. It just wasn't fun. I also moved in a sales role 7 years ago which requires travel so I couldn't make it every week. They also were not very receptive to make up rounds. 

Overall in 25 years of being in a league, 23 of them were a blast and I would do it again. Since they were work leagues you always had the opportunity to bust your co-workers chops before and after the day of play.

Now my rounds are mostly recreational. Either by myself, with friends, or some co-workers. I also take customers golfing and play in charity golf events.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I play in a company golf league and have met some great people on my team and others.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

We have a Men’s Golf Association at my club. We have a tournament every month and the first for the year is this Saturday. The Icicle Open. We probably will not have any real icicles but 40° and 25-30 mph winds will be a challenge. 

We have at least 1 tournament a month and also have a Wednesday night scramble. Since our club pro is female we tend to allow players in some tournaments that are not necessarily members of the MGA. Especially in the Wednesday Night Scrambles. 

There are also several “groups” at my club. These are chat or text groups where we have regular scheduled rounds. My group consists of 26-30 players. We play Wednesday and Friday afternoons and Saturday and Sunday mornings. Of course most of us have pesky jobs that sometimes interferes so there can be as few as 4 or more than 20 show up on any given time. There are 3 or 4 groups like mine. We are considered the fast group and tend to be the first of the groups that go out. We also usually have 2 bets of $10 per player per each bet. So $20 buy in. $10 handicap net score and $10 half of handicap skins. So a 13 handicap gets 6 strokes. Why not all? Don’t know. Everyone in my group is between a 2 and 14 handicap. 

All in all it is a lot of fun. Some of the tournaments like this one are pretty cheap, $40 entry fee. Wednesday Night Scramble is $30 plus $10 if you want to get in the team skins pot. Last year we set the record 12 under in a 9 hole 4 man scramble and won the skins pot that had been carrying over for 3 tournaments. I bought a Ping G425 7 hybrid with my winnings. We have them range up to $300. 

My teammate and I also won our flight on a three club tournament last year, and I believe we also played the worst in a Member-Member Tournament. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I did for about 5 years. Was a blast for several years. Most of the group was 50+ and struggled to get younger. I played a lot of golf those years and that league really boosted my game, learned a lot from the guys there and made some really good friends.

I ended up leaving because 1) the keague was not getting younger and was struggling to bring in more people. 2) Rule changes/league adjustments were rare, and it felt like the person running it blocked alot of that.

Refardless it was alot of fun and I would love to join a league again down the road but I’ve been enjoying playing earlier rounds during the week before work so once the kids are older I’ll for sure join another.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Was in that same league with @Lacassem.   It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the competitive aspect right from the start. I remember the first round I played being on the putting green and feeling like it actually mattered for the first time. 

it was a great competitive outlet since organized sports are harder to come by.  I had to leave the league during the first year of Covid as I wasn’t sure if I could commit to playing. Haven’t had a chance to try to rejoin since, but I’ve liked playing in the AM vs Afternoons too. If I end up joining a club I will absolutely play in another league. It’s good fun competition, and I learned a lot about myself as a player from it. 

if you’re at all interested I would give it a try! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I have never been able to. I rotated shifts(7a-3p, 3p-11p, & 11p-7a) every 28 days for 30 years, with changing days of the week off.  Always prevented me from joining one.  When I finally retire for good somewhere, I am looking forward to joining one.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I'm one of the very lucky people with an awesome wife who encourages me to play so I know I'm an outlier but last year I played in 2 leagues and was a sub in a third (that I may join this year)

Each league has a different format and also a different competitive atmosphere.

First league I played in was a 2 man scramble Friday night league.  This was more like doing something while drinking. While we all played by the rules, there was little in terms of prizes and at times we would end up drinking in the parking lot until 1am. Met some of my now great golf friends in that league.  I still play in it as a nice happy hour style league but as I got better at golf I wanted to test myself a little more so in came the second league.

Last year I was a co-founder of a Monday night league.  This one we decided to make individual score and wanted something that was competitive but fun. We played by the rules, called people on rule infractions (in a respectful way), and were able to play individual side games in our groups. Had some optional side games for the entire league(CTP, net/gross skins, etc) that were inexpensive to enter too. Could not have asked for a better group of guys. Was not as heavy on the drinking as Friday but we would get a good crew hanging out after the round to shoot the poop after the round. This coming year it is actually the most requested league to join at our course. 

The league I was a sub in is the most prestigious at our course.  It's a Wednesday 2 man better ball league that uses a modified stableford scoring with score targets and some weird math. This one causes the most drama at the course.  Being a 2 man better ball, some of the "better" players would purposefully get a double bogey if their partner scored well and then submit it to GHIN making their handicaps seem higher than they are.  But this is the only league that the course officially runs and has the biggest trophy that is displayed in the clubhouse so everyone wants to win. 

The people in the league mean everything. You have to set the tone early and bring in people that can change the tone if needed.  Is it a competitive league?  Beer league? Is it run the right way by the commish...is he ever guilty of crony-ism?   Unfortunately it can get annoying fast. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

I have played in "evening 9 hole" leagues in the past.  As much as anything, it was an excuse to play more golf ;).  Currently, I am in my course's Men's Club which holds weekly events most weeks, and also organizes the larger events (two day tourneys throughout the year such as the Club Championship).  The most fun I have is playing with a group of guys every Sunday - 2 or 3 tee times depending on availability - kick in some cash and low net takes the pot.  Plus non-carry over skins.  Not really a league, but a regular game.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I play in a nine hole league on Tuesday nights in summer... it's my excuse to play golf... some guys take it very seriously, but most are just out for fun.  We calculate handicaps to try to make play "fair"

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I loved playing in an after work twilight league when I was young.

The trash talking lasted from one week all the way to the next.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

This year will be my 4th year in this particular work league and I've played in two others in the past. To me, the best thing about it is it gets me out once a week, otherwise there is a good chance I'd only get out once or twice a month due to other commitments. I was a supposed to start in a second league last year, but it ended up being canceled due to covid (mostly older guys who didn't want to commit). There is another work league that has pretty frequent subbing opportunities. I'm going to make sure I'm on the official sub list this year.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I play in a league and it’s one of the best golf decisions I’ve ever made. I don’t know how normal the format is, but there are like 13 of us on a team. I was brought in by another buddy, but I’ve made a ton of friends. And now there is a regular group text where it’s easy to find a 4 some almost any time; weekdays and weekends. 

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2