Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2022 Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z 220 Official Driver Launch

Golfspy_CG2

THE NEXT GENERATION OF STABILITY:

INTRODUCING MIZUNO’S ST SERIES METAL WOODS 

ENGINEERED TO DELIVER MORE PERFORMANCE, MORE OFTEN. 

Mizuno, the Japanese equipment manufacturer founded in Osaka in 1906 introduces the latest ST Series of metal woods with the ST-X and ST-Z drivers offering exceptional consistency – The next generation of stability. 

Once ball speed is maximized with launch angle and spin rates optimized, the final route to elevated driving performance is greater consistency. Step up the Next Generation of Mizuno's ST Series, the new ST-Z 220 and ST-X 220 – Engineered to produce the most efficient drives and highest ball speeds...more often. 

The ST-Z and ST-X drivers offer exceptional stability and consistency from off-center strikes. This is facilitated by a 40% expansion of the carbon-sole area and thinning out the Titanium portion, alongside a doubling of the stabilizing back weight. 

"Any twisting or deflecting at impact due to an off-center hit is an energy loss and varies launch conditions,” says Mizuno’s Director of R&D David Llewellyn. “By working with the prior ST driver platform and familiar materials, we were able to find several adaptations to impact the internal weighting. Creating far more stable tendencies in both the ST-Z and ST-X." 

Finding greater consistency and distance from off-center strikes delivers improved performance. 

"By early 2021, with the vast majority of tour players we tested, the ST Series drivers were able to improve on their current driver for ball speed, looks and feel,” says Mizuno’s Director of Product Chris Voshall. “The occasional barrier to getting a driver in play was the distance drop off from off-center strikes. Our engineers isolated and tackled that last dimension with the new ST-Z and ST-X. We're now seeing the results – ball speed drop-offs are negligible, and we’ve massively tightened the overall ranges of launch and spin."

Mizuno ST-Z 220 

Straight – Low spin 

With a balanced toe/heel carbon construction and central back weight, Mizuno's ST-Z driver encourages a low spinning, efficient, straight ball flight. The modern, ground-hugging 460cc profile is both confidence-inspiring and appealing to elite players.  A heavier, 20g back weight creates a deeper center of gravity for more efficient performance, more often. 

"The ST-Z is the most played of all our drivers. It’s a modern driver for players who have grown up hitting long straight bombs rather than shaping the ball. The addition of a 20g back weight also makes it an exceptionally forgiving option,” says Chris Voshall. 

The ST-Z driver features Mizuno’s Z-Axis design with weight evenly distributed across toe and heel, encouraging a low spinning stable straight flight. A highly resilient forged SAT2041 Beta Ti face and multi-thickness CORTECH design produce increased ball speeds. 

Mizuno's Harmonic Impact Research has built sound into the design, delivering vibration patterns elite players associate with a ‘solid’ feel. The optimized Wave Sole delivers an additional contribution to ball speeds, particularly from low on the clubface while 4 degrees of loft adjustability allows for fine-tuning of launch and trajectory.

Availability: Right hand – 9.5 and 10.5 degrees.

Left hand – 9.5 degrees only.

MIzuno ST-X ST-Z Pic .jpg 

Mizuno ST-X 220

Draw Bias – Mid Spin 

A confidence-inspiring, draw-biased driver with heel focused weight location, the ST-X will appeal to players seeking a higher, right to left ball flight. 

With higher spin rates than its ST-Z counterpart, the ST-X, will suit those with moderate swing speeds, needing help producing a more extended ball flight. A new 20-gram heel biased back weight creates a deeper center of gravity for more efficient, longer drives. The ST-X is also available as a J-Spec option with ultra-lightweight HeLIUM NanoCore shaft for seniors and those with slower swing speeds. 

“For a lot of golfers, the modern low spinning driver design preferred by tour players is a serious distance killer,” says Chris Voshall. “The ST-X’s extra spin, slight draw bias and a higher flight will add driving distance for a surprising number of players.” 

The ST-X delivers exceptional stability from off-center strikes via an expansion of the carbon sole area by 40% and thinning out the Titanium portion, alongside a near doubling of the stabilizing heel/back weight. 

Featuring Mizuno’s X-Axis design, weight is focused deep in the heel, encouraging a higher draw bias flight. With a rounded 460cc profile, the driver offers a higher launch and mid spin performance. A highly resilient forged SAT2041 Beta Ti face and multi-thickness CORTECH design produce increased ball speeds. 

Mizuno's Harmonic Impact Research has built sound into the design, delivering vibration patterns players associate with a ‘solid’ feel. The optimized Wave Sole delivers an additional contribution to ball speeds, particularly from low on the clubface while 4 degrees of loft adjustability allows for fine-tuning of launch and trajectory.

Availability: Right hand – 10.5 and 12 degrees.

ST-Z 220 Driver: $449.95

ST-X 220 Driver: $449.95

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Man Mizuno has come a loooonnng way in the looks department in just a few years.  Both of those look every bit as premium as a TM, Cally, Cobra, or Titleist Option to me.  I'm sure if people give these a shot a lot of them will end up in their bags.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I know Mizuno is a good golf company but I NEVER see anyone on the course with Mizuno clubs.....its strange.  All I see is Callaway, TaylorMade and Titleist for the most part.  I see older guys with PING but thats about it

Rocking some Mizuno HM Pros this year, first Mizuno clubs ever, but they are indeed smaller than the big 4\5 so it is a bit more rare. Still make great stuff and this driver looks great will always be worth a hit if one is in the market.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

3 hours ago, Tsecor said:

I know Mizuno is a good golf company but I NEVER see anyone on the course with Mizuno clubs.....its strange.  All I see is Callaway, TaylorMade and Titleist for the most part.  I see older guys with PING but thats about it

I see quite a bit of them around our area, and in fact I've just ordered 3 sets of Hot Metals and one set of the 221's in the last month for customers. 

Where on earth are you? While I don't know anyone with Mizuno woods (maybe that's what you meant?), Mizuno irons aren't at all uncommon anywhere I've ever played. Obviously Mizuno wants to gain a foothold in woods and putters now too. At least they don't have blue crown/body woods anymore, that was a hard no for me. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Last years driver was so sneaky good and underrated. If they have improved it they will have something really good. 

I wonder if it is a regional thing. Lots of Mizuno out here. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I see quite a bit of them around our area, and in fact I've just ordered 3 sets of Hot Metals and one set of the 221's in the last month for customers. 

I'd agree in part.  Most of the better guys I've played against or with have some Mizuno irons but woods are not very popular. Very VERY common to see those other brands though because of their marketing and pushing product year on year.  Mizuno has been trying, and from what we hear now too, to bring their quality of other products up to par with the irons they've always produced.  Hopefully this is a step in the right direction. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

7 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

I'd agree in part.  Most of the better guys I've played against or with have some Mizuno irons but woods are not very popular. Very VERY common to see those other brands though because of their marketing and pushing product year on year.  Mizuno has been trying, and from what we hear now too, to bring their quality of other products up to par with the irons they've always produced.  Hopefully this is a step in the right direction. 

Yep, I was speaking in terms of the irons.   And I agree drives much less, I think we sold maybe 4 last year, but we did sell several of Fli Hi hybrids, those were very good.  Wedges and Putters not so much, but the putter coming this spring is very intriquing and a bit different for them. 

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yep, I was speaking in terms of the irons.   And I agree drives much less, I think we sold maybe 4 last year, but we did sell several of Fli Hi hybrids, those were very good.  Wedges and Putters not so much, but the putter coming this spring is very intriquing and a bit different for them. 

I have a feeling that Mizuno even knew that in the past and is making a real effort to bring those up to the same levels.  Will they do it?  I can't say... But I will say the T22 wedges are pretty good, the putters have a ways to go, the new Fli Hi Utility looks amazing and can't wait to hit it, and from what everyone is saying about the woods they've come light years.  It would be nice for it all to come together because I'm one of those people that grew tired of the Callaway and Taylor Made juggernaut machine year in and year out. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

57 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

It would be nice for it all to come together because I'm one of those people that grew tired of the Callaway and Taylor Made juggernaut machine year in and year out. 

+100. My next driver/woods won’t be Callaway and TM has been off my radar for years. That’s just me, obviously a majority of players disagree.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Hoping to try the Z to see what it can do. Would be awesome if it turned out to be a Ping G400 with added distance!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Hoping to try the Z to see what it can do. Would be awesome if it turned out to be a Ping G400 with added distance!

Same dude…This is one I am following on the upcoming most wanted…

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I love my ST-180, and the fact that it's blue, but this plays more to the general bell curve of the modern player. Likely a sneaky good performer.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I game last years STZ and it is without a doubt the best driver I have had. I fully agree with the sentiment of if people just tried them they would love them but that's not the case. The range near me has two stand bags full of last years STZ and STX they have reduced the price from $400 to $270 which is a steal considering the new one is $450 and there really isn't much to change from last year to this year aside from the change of an internal weight to external. 

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

• 1 month later...

Can’t wait to hit all 3 at my driver fitting: the Z has me especially intrigued! Don’t know if anything will beat out my G410 LST, but on paper the Z is a strong contender!

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

The STZ 220 driver is another solid step forward for Mizuno in this category. I love the one I have and it is currently in a bit of a battle to see if it makes the bag vs. a driver that costs way more. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 1/14/2022 at 11:51 AM, Tsecor said:

I know what you are saying.  I was playing TM forever then played Mizuno for the first time.  Never going back now.

TaylorMade SIM2 woods, PXG 5 wood, TaylorMade Wedges, Mizuno irons, Scotty Cameron putter and TP5/ProV1x golf balls. 

Club Champ and Long Drive Champ.