TESTERS WANTED! ×

Old Driver vs New Driver Struggles

New member alert! haha I have a circa 2007 Cobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with an Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft and am having a really hard time finding a new driver to replace it. The feeling of all the new drivers (2021 model year) are so different compared to my current club that I struggle to hit all of the newer clubs. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a case where I need to simply bite the bullet and buy something and then get out practicing to get comfortable with the new technology? I'd love to hear the groups thoughts on this.

cobra-x-speed-pro-d-10-5-vs-proto-65-stiff_1_e693729cf5b4236f519581b42da55240.jpg

Avid recreational golfer with a 9 handicap, looking to make major equipment upgrades this year

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra S2 3-Wood 15° with Fujikura Regular flex 65g shaft

Founders Club Hybrids (3 & 4) and Irons (5-PW) with Regular shaft

Cleveland Golf - Wikipedia          50° and 56° CG14 with Zip Groves and 8° & 11° bounce with Wedge Flex shaft

60° REG.588 Tour Action with Wedge Flex shaft

Home - TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Ghost TM 110 Putter 34"

undecided | DevpostUndecided on what Golf Ball to use this year

Haven’t had that issue. But if you are just out hitting drivers and not doing a fitting it could be simply the combo you are hitting doesn’t fit you.

If you are looking to upgrade find a good fitter and let them find what works best for you. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, CanadaMike said:

New member alert! haha I have a circa 2007 Cobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with an Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft and am having a really hard time finding a new driver to replace it. The feeling of all the new drivers (2021 model year) are so different compared to my current club that I struggle to hit all of the newer clubs. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a case where I need to simply bite the bullet and buy something and then get out practicing to get comfortable with the new technology? I'd love to hear the groups thoughts on this.

Welcome:

1.  New drivers are different and as a result they will feel different when you swing.   If you want the same feel,  you shouldn't update.  Feel is what you experience in your hands as well as what you hear. 

2.  Don't know what you mean by struggle;  is it hitting in the simulator/net that is difficult?  Ideally, you shouldn't just buy something.  You need to either find a fitter to help you figure out what combination works better than what you are playing now.   Always take your current driver when evaluating another driver so you can compare.  How are you evaluating new drivers?    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

23 hours ago, CanadaMike said:

cobra-x-speed-pro-d-10-5-vs-proto-65-stiff_1_e693729cf5b4236f519581b42da55240.jpg

Recently went through a similiar process. Hadn't played since 2015 and my clubs were all circa '99-'04. Had never really liked graphite shafts or the giant,  ultra light driver heads when they first started popping up back then. Which is why i put a steel shaft on my Hawkeye VFT when i bought it new...

Then i start playing again over the summer and couldn't swing that club anymore. I guess i was just in better shape back then and could get that heavy shaft through the strike zone. My brother gave me a Titleist TS3 and like you, i was worried about how i would gel with it but first swing was a 290yd+ bullet that landed center cut and until the weight cartridge broke inside the head, i was more than happy with how it performed for me...

...now if i could just get my hands on the TSi3 i ordered the first week of december...🤬   🤣

But i agree with what was said above. Find a fitter that has multiple demo versions of the latest and greatest and find something that feels good and works for you.

I see you're in Canada, you don't happen to live near Toronto, do you? One of the best fitters in the game is located there... TXG... Tour Experience Golf | High Quality Golf Equipment | Premium Builds – TourExperienceGolf (txgstore.com)

Edited by brutal brutus

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I agree that feel is subjective and if I was to go through a proper fitting and know the club I am buying performs better I would likely get used to the feeling relatively quickly. You may be correct that I haven't had the right head and shaft combo that was right for me so everything I tried felt off. As far as evaluating new clubs, my only experience is going into the big box store (Golf Town) and hitting 10 shots with 6 different drivers. One of my goals for this year is to try and attend a few demo days at my local clubs so that I get to try more clubs in an outdoor setting. As far as good fitters go, I live near Calgary so we unfortunately don't have a TXG yet. We have Modern Golf, Golf Tec and a few local companies. I am sure any of those options would do a decent job and get me into something that fits better. I feel like I am probably losing a lot of distance and forgiveness off the tee with my current driver.

Avid recreational golfer with a 9 handicap, looking to make major equipment upgrades this year

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra S2 3-Wood 15° with Fujikura Regular flex 65g shaft

Cleveland Golf - Wikipedia          50° and 56° CG14 with Zip Groves and 8° & 11° bounce with Wedge Flex shaft

44 minutes ago, CanadaMike said:

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I agree that feel is subjective and if I was to go through a proper fitting and know the club I am buying performs better I would likely get used to the feeling relatively quickly. You may be correct that I haven't had the right head and shaft combo that was right for me so everything I tried felt off. As far as evaluating new clubs, my only experience is going into the big box store (Golf Town) and hitting 10 shots with 6 different drivers. One of my goals for this year is to try and attend a few demo days at my local clubs so that I get to try more clubs in an outdoor setting. As far as good fitters go, I live near Calgary so we unfortunately don't have a TXG yet. We have Modern Golf, Golf Tec and a few local companies. I am sure any of those options would do a decent job and get me into something that fits better. I feel like I am probably losing a lot of distance and forgiveness off the tee with my current driver.

Going to a demo day is a good option. 

Without numbers you won’t know for sure but you can watch ball flight and tell. If the ball gets to its peak then continues going up aka ballooning then falling out of the sky you have to much spin. That could be swing, club or combo of both.

If it’s kind of line driving and doesn’t get too much height you don’t have enough launch. If it also knuckles and drops out of the sky not enough spin

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 1/14/2022 at 8:08 PM, cnosil said:

2.  Don't know what you mean by struggle;  is it hitting in the simulator/net that is difficult?  Ideally, you shouldn't just buy something.  You need to either find a fitter to help you figure out what combination works better than what you are playing now.   Always take your current driver when evaluating another driver so you can compare.  How are you evaluating new drivers?    

That was my question. Less distance? Higher dispersion? Lower/higher launch/spin? Looks? Feel? Other? If any big name 2021 driver doesn't perform as well or better than your 2007 Cobra driver (all titanium?), I'd say you need to give it more time or get fitted as others have suggested. Tech has definitely improved 2021 vs 2007.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

41 minutes ago, Middler said:

That was my question. Less distance? Higher dispersion? Lower/higher launch/spin? Looks? Feel? Other? If any big name 2021 driver doesn't perform as well or better than your 2007 Cobra driver (all titanium?), I'd say you need to give it more time or get fitted as others have suggested. Tech has definitely improved 2021 vs 2007.

The largest struggle was with dispersion and the feel of it. They all felt so light and I lost all feeling of where the clubhead was at impact, I felt I really needed to slow down to gain a consistent strike and at that point the distance was less. I think I will go the fitting route and see if they can recommend some better options to help me transition from the old tech to the new stuff.

Go to Club Champion and spend $50 to compare your driver to a new one. If your driver is working for you, KEEP IT!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

18 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

Go to Club Champion and spend $50 to compare your driver to a new one. If your driver is working for you, KEEP IT!

That's now $175 FWIW (I am not a fan of CC). 

https://clubchampiongolf.com/pricing

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Hopefully with the right combo you will come to enjoy all the new technology and how it benefits you. Based on shaft it can make the head feel lighter or heavier based on the balance point in the shaft. Their are also heavier driver heads such as the g425. Obviously use demo days or a fitting but some things to keep in mind 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

3 hours ago, CanadaMike said:

As far as good fitters go, I live near Calgary so we unfortunately don't have a TXG yet. We have Modern Golf, Golf Tec and a few local companies. I am sure any of those options would do a decent job and get me into something that fits better. I feel like I am probably losing a lot of distance and forgiveness off the tee with my current driver.

Sounds like you need to take the Mrs on a "vacation" to Toronto...😉

Edited by brutal brutus

2 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

He’s in a Canada there’s no CC there and he’s not near their newly acquired txg facilities.

he can do the same at a demo day for free.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:48 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Haven’t had that issue. But if you are just out hitting drivers and not doing a fitting it could be simply the combo you are hitting doesn’t fit you.

If you are looking to upgrade find a good fitter and let them find what works best for you. 

Excellent advice!

WITB  -  Mizuno driver and irons and EVNROLL putter or SEEMORE putter depending on the day.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He’s in a Canada there’s no CC there and he’s not near their newly acquired txg facilities.

he can do the same at a demo day for free.

49 minutes ago, T McKinnon said:

Excellent advice!

+2.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

You can stay with the old tech, but you're giving up 15 to 20 yards on miss hits . Today drives you can hit them all over the face and still be in play and about the same distance as a center hit. No one is making you give up your driver, so I don't understand the question. I don't miss any of my old drivers other then Callaway Diablo and if I want to, I can go on Ebay and get one for $75 in great condition .but I'll stick with my Rogue . 

If you really really want a new driver you can find one. DO NOT SETTLE for something, get what you feel is right for your hands, swing, and pocket book. I am advocate for Sub70. I have there irons and haven't hit their driver but I have read read good things about them. MSG had a test on that driver, look up the reviews. 

I myself haven't found a driver that can out duel my current driver. That said I really am not looking for one either but I do hit them when I get a chance.  

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

It sounds like you have either a swingweight or a shaft bend profile issue if you can’t feel where the club head is during your swing. 

If it is a swingweight issue and the head feels too light you can either add lead tape as a quick fix or use heavier screw in weights if the driver head has that capability until you get to the point where you can feel the head.

It could be a shaft issue.  Either the new shafts you are trying are more counterbalanced causing the head to feel light or the bend profile and/or stiffness you are accustomed to is different than the shafts you’ve been trying causing a different shaft loading sensation making it difficult for you to time your swing and release.

Getting the specs off of your current driver is a good starting point to compare against.  Length, lie angle, loft, swing weight, head weight, shaft weight, shaft stiffness, shaft bend point and/or EI curve if available.

Good luck in your search for a new driver.

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

It's just about a guarantee you'll find a driver/shaft combination better than your current 2007 model.  the current tech is definitely better than that.  Having said that, finding the proper combination can take time, unless you're going to a fitter.  You can do like  i did, sort of hit different clubs with different shafts a few at a time at Golf Galaxy, pay attention to the spin and dispersion #'s, and you'll see for yourself what works best after a while (of course, you may need to do some research to know what your proper spin #'s should be for  your attack angle, but that's all part of the process)

1 hour ago, Hoyoymac said:

It sounds like you have either a swingweight or a shaft bend profile issue if you can’t feel where the club head is during your swing. 

Isn’t always a swingweight/shaft profile issue.  I personally am unable to feel,a club head during the swing or a shaft loading/unloading.  Shafts simply just feel slightly different to me and not really in a way that I can describe.  It is simply how the vibrations feel in my hand.   I always wonder what good or bad is supposed to feel like.   How does it perform; isn’t that what really matters?      Putters seem to be a different story, I can feel when the putter is fighting my stroke

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Golfzilla70 said:

It's just about a guarantee you'll find a driver/shaft combination better than your current 2007 model.  the current tech is definitely better than that.  Having said that, finding the proper combination can take time, unless you're going to a fitter.  You can do like  i did, sort of hit different clubs with different shafts a few at a time at Golf Galaxy, pay attention to the spin and dispersion #'s, and you'll see for yourself what works best after a while (of course, you may need to do some research to know what your proper spin #'s should be for  your attack angle, but that's all part of the process)

Spin #s and aoa are a very small piece of the puzzle and not nearly as significant as other launch monitor numbers Ball speed and launch are a start more so than aoa and then how that impacts decent angle.

Also nobody needs to do any research. Flightscope has an optimizer that will allow a person to lug their numbers in with a simple google search of “flightscope optimizer”

Ping has put this chart out that’s been posted on this forum and others

F009A875-FF49-4EF1-8155-DBD675771CB7.jpeg

On 1/14/2022 at 3:58 PM, CanadaMike said:

I had that driver. It remains one of my favorite drivers I've ever owned, and in the years after replacing it, some of my friends kept asking my why I ever switched from it. 

I'm no fitter, but that one was the "better player" option, so maybe try sticking with the more compact drivers in your next trial -- something like a TSi4 (technically smaller than the Cobra but might still fit your eye). Short of an actual fitting, it'll just be a lot of trial and error. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

9 hours ago, Hoyoymac said:

If it is a swingweight issue and the head feels too light you can either add lead tape as a quick fix or use heavier screw in weights if the driver head has that capability until you get to the point where you can feel the head.

It could be a shaft issue.  Either the new shafts you are trying are more counterbalanced causing the head to feel light or the bend profile and/or stiffness you are accustomed to is different than the shafts you’ve been trying causing a different shaft loading sensation making it difficult for you to time your swing and release.

Getting the specs off of your current driver is a good starting point to compare against.  Length, lie angle, loft, swing weight, head weight, shaft weight, shaft stiffness, shaft bend point and/or EI curve if available.

Good luck in your search for a new driver.

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Spin #s and aoa are a very small piece of the puzzle and not nearly as significant as other launch monitor numbers Ball speed and launch are a start more so than aoa and then how that impacts decent angle.

Also nobody needs to do any research. Flightscope has an optimizer that will allow a person to lug their numbers in with a simple google search of “flightscope optimizer”

Ping has put this chart out that’s been posted on this forum and others

F009A875-FF49-4EF1-8155-DBD675771CB7.jpeg

3 hours ago, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

I had that driver. It remains one of my favorite drivers I've ever owned, and in the years after replacing it, some of my friends kept asking my why I ever switched from it. 

I'm no fitter, but that one was the "better player" option, so maybe try sticking with the more compact drivers in your next trial -- something like a TSi4 (technically smaller than the Cobra but might still fit your eye). Short of an actual fitting, it'll just be a lot of trial and error. 

That you for the great advice and information! I really appreciate everyone's different perspectives and thoughts on this topic. My main goal with getting a new driver is to maintain a relatively consistent distance even with slightly off-center hits. I will take a look at the smaller driver heads as well because that may help with the transition. Does anyone know a good resource that shows the new driver dimensions? (ex. face length and height, head length and width, etc.), I would be curious which new drivers are most similar in shape to my Cobra.

15 minutes ago, CanadaMike said:

That you for the great advice and information! I really appreciate everyone's different perspectives and thoughts on this topic. My main goal with getting a new driver is to maintain a relatively consistent distance even with slightly off-center hits. I will take a look at the smaller driver heads as well because that may help with the transition. Does anyone know a good resource that shows the new driver dimensions? (ex. face length and height, head length and width, etc.), I would be curious which new drivers are most similar in shape to my Cobra.

Wouldn't it be easier to just go to the store and see which ones fit your eye? I assume you have some brand preferences as well, we don't know those. I've never heard of someone trying to find a new club literally using measurements, but you're more than welcome to do so. There might be shapes that perform and feel better than your 2007 Cobra, those R&D peeps have been tweaking trying to make clubs better all this time.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

57 minutes ago, Middler said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just go to the store and see which ones fit your eye? I assume you have some brand preferences as well, we don't know those. I've never heard of someone trying to find a new club literally using measurements, but you're more than welcome to do so. There might be shapes that perform and feel better than your 2007 Cobra, those R&D peeps have been tweaking trying to make clubs better all this time.

Great point, and I definitely wouldn't shop based solely on measurements. The issue I face is that my local shops don't carry all of the heads available so it makes it tough to see the differences or to know what is out there because they all look the same online. I am leaning more towards going to a number of demo days and then book a fitting as I believe that will address most of the concerns and issues I have.

1 hour ago, CanadaMike said:

Each of the manufacturers websites. Other than g400(will only be able to find on secondary marker) the tsi4 and the TaylorMade 300 I’m not aware of any less than 460cc

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Other than g400(will only be able to find on secondary marker) 

Depends on where you look.  I was in my local golf shop yesterday picking up some new spikes and they had 4 brand new G400 drivers.  

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Depends on where you look.  I was in my local golf shop yesterday picking up some new spikes and they had 4 brand new G400 drivers.  

Interesting. Haven’t looked in awhile but hadn’t seen one in forever. I may need to get a hold of one of those 

Might want to check out the TaylorMade mini driver...

300 Mini Driver | TaylorMade (taylormadegolf.com)