Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Autoflex SF405 Iron Shafts

pbclub

As stated, this is my experience with the Autoflex iron shafts. A few things: I am 59 with shoulder and elbow problems that have limited my swing speed. I am a 6 handicap. I am at present about 92mph with driver. I tried the Autoflex driver shaft. After messing around unsuccessfully with a Maverick head I put on my G425 Max head and have never looked back. I hit it amazing. Longer and straighter; everything as advertised. It revolutionized golf for me. For once a golf gimmick that actually worked. It is worth every penny to me. Average drive gain was 20 yards. 

I bought some G425 irons (thankfully right before the shortage) and love the results, but I hate the feel. I think part of the feel is the graphite shafts. They are very clunky at impact. 

On a holiday shopping high I decided to treat myself to 3 Autoflex SF405 iron shafts. They arrived in 2 days (I am close to the dealer) and I decided to use them on my G425 Wedge, 9 iron and 8 iron. Per Autoflex I tipped 3" for the wedge, 2.5 for the 9 and 2 for the 8. I then removed the heads from the Ping shafts and matched the length for each and butt cut them. I used Golf Pride Align +4 grips. 

So yes, I paid $600 for 3 golf club shafts. I am blessed and fortunate to be able to afford to do that. God bless the USA for making it possible.

Boy, am I glad I did.

The performance gain was evident on the first swing. Every shot straight and long. I gained 10 yards on each club. Probably from the increased trajectory. The G425s were wonderful at helping me get the ball up in the air. With the Auto flex shafts the ball flew even higher and with an obvious increase in ball speed. I cannot say how happy that makes an old golfer!

The feel is similar to the driver. You can feel the load and unload of the shaft through the swing. It is a very light shaft (I think 52 grams) so my swing speed feels faster. It for sure feels softer through impact but also with a spring effect. The previous clunky feeling is gone with a duller impact. Cast with never feel as nice as forged. 

I have no idea what the swing weights are. Everything feels fine. 

For reference my previous distances: Wedge (set G425 wedge) 110 yards now 120+. 9 iron was 120 now 130+ and 8 iron was 130 now about 145. This has caused adjustments upwards in my bag. 

A couple of thoughts on Autoflex. The driver shaft made me a better golfer. In the same way Gforce trainer flexes so does the Autoflex. Both require an even tempo and unhurried direction change. They also require an inside move to impact. I had to adjust my swing to the shaft to make it work for me.

As a slow swing speed player, the adjustment helped my overall game as well. I believe it was not just the distance gains I got form the shaft, but the feeling of the slot it introduced me to. That bled into all my clubs and my handicap dropped dramatically last season. I mean 8 points. 

If you are a strong golfer who hits it a ton. You probably don't need Autoflex. If you are a sub 100 mph swinger and can somehow get your hands on one, do it. I am super excited for the 2022 season. 

I hope this all made sense. Thanks for your time. 

I tend to believe Autoflex helps slower swing speed players more than high swing speed players.

12 hours ago, pbclubdude said:

I had to adjust my swing to the shaft to make it work for me.

Hmmm that's interesting - basically the opposite of what a club fitter would be trying to do! But good to hear you had a positive experience with the shafts .. you've probably already ordered more! 😉 .. and btw 59 isn't "old" 🙂 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Hmmm that's interesting - basically the opposite of what a club fitter would be trying to do! But good to hear you had a positive experience with the shafts .. you've probably already ordered more! 😉 .. and btw 59 isn't "old" 🙂 

Haha thank you. I play with a lot of younger folks so sometimes 59 seems old. 

As far as me adjusting to it, I knew my swing was not optimal to begin with. I knew it was the indian not the arrow. Really it came down to me leaning how to use it properly. Once I did it changed my game on so many levels. Golf went from frustrating with the occasional good shot to shooting in the 70s on a regular basis. Everything improved. 

I did end up changing out my three wedge shafts (Taylormade Milled Grind Black) from stiff Dynamic Gold to Elevate 95 regular flex. I had pretty much the same experience although on a smaller scale. I was concerned too much shaft flex would impact my short game, but it's been fine. On full swing I gained several yards and more spin. 

The temptation to get some Autoflex shafts for my hybrids and fairway woods is certainly there. I am sure I will take the plunge later in the spring. The performance gain is addictive. With driver I hit every fairway my last round. Every tee shot long and with a baby draw. Imagine that!! It never gets old.

It really comes down to "How much would you spend to hit it straighter and longer"? If I put a driver in front of you that could make you hit it 25+ yards longer and straight guaranteed, but it was $1300, would you buy it? I would.