Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Unofficial Review - Srixon ZX5 Irons

fixyurdivot

20 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Great writeup!  I expect great things from you this year at the PNW MGS meetup!!

Thanks Kenny.  I purposely kept this review short and to the point. I'm playing as well and as consistently as ever have.  Hopefully we'll get some other spies to join us this year... the 4th Annual PNW MGS Meetup.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

That was some of the best  reviewing I've seen to date - right up to the part where you went head covers. You never, never leave your head covers on for a picture. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

9 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

That was some of the best  reviewing I've seen to date - right up to the part where you went head covers. You never, never leave your head covers on for a picture. 

There is a photo of them "Full Monty" as well 🙂.

I’m glad to hear you like them and had to smile a little when reading the intro and your mention of the original bag; those clubs are such great pieces of  nostalgia.

As far as the 5’s go, I haven’t hit them but really loved the look at address.  I really appreciate the squared off design of the entire line and like you said where they look small and play big, they certainly appear to be a club that would fit well into a player’s forgiveness category.  

Nice work, play well!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

11 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Head covers just went on my irons tonight when they went in my Club Glove travel bag... only time I use them.  I got new ones!  Martha bought a set to put on her new PXG 0211 DC irons; they didn't fit, but they fit my MacGregors perfectly.  My old covers fit the PXGs fine.  Apparently, club covers don't fit the high toe wedges like my Callaway PM Grind.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Head covers just went on my irons tonight when they went in my Club Glove travel bag... only time I use them.  I got new ones!  Martha bought a set to put on her new PXG 0211 DC irons; they didn't fit, but they fit my MacGregors perfectly.  My old covers fit the PXGs fine.  Apparently, club covers don't fit the high toe wedges like my Callaway PM Grind.

Once you start using them, you'll see the wisdom and they'll be no turning back. Why limit the fun and fashion statements to woods and putter? 😁

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Once you start using them, you'll see the wisdom and they'll be no turning back. Why limit the fun and fashion statements to woods and putter? 😁

I want people to see my battle worn 20-year old MacGregor VIP muscle backs and fear me... at least until they see my first swing! 🤣

Trying to keep shiny new irons... well, shiny and new looking is impossible.  Once I get a slight ding, then I don't see the need to keep putting covers on.  Take care of them and they will age well.  It's a different look, but one I like.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I want people to see my battle worn 20-year old MacGregor VIP muscle backs and fear me... at least until they see my first swing! 🤣

Trying to keep shiny new irons... well, shiny and new looking is impossible.  Once I get a slight ding, then I don't see the need to keep putting covers on.  Take care of them and they will age well.  It's a different look, but one I like.

Yeah, I know, several spies have informed they are "tools not show pieces" ...yadda, yadda, yadda 😆.  But, I'm telling you, nothing emotes fear from the competition like the guy who shows up at the tee with masked irons.  Except for the beauty marks I put on them from ball strikes, these ZX5's are getting pampered. removing and replacing is now part of my pre/post shot routine 👍.

• 3 weeks later...

Great review! 
I am currently playing the Z585 irons and am looking to upgrade into the ZX5. It seems as though they align very well to the prior generation but would be interested in some comparison between the two. 

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 12:17 PM, No3PuttLaLa said:

Great review! 
I am currently playing the Z585 irons and am looking to upgrade into the ZX5. It seems as though they align very well to the prior generation but would be interested in some comparison between the two. 

Thank you.  I purposely delayed doing the review so I had plenty of game time with them.  When I first started my search for new irons (which is how I stumbled onto MGS in 2018), I saw the reviews on the Z585/785's and how well they scored in forum and "most wanted" tests.  Unfortunately, the fitter in Bozeman did not carry Srixon 😐. As for how they might compare directly to their predecessors, my guess is very close - as in throw a hat over the data.  I think the AI variable face thickness and groove design are the most significant changes but, like so many next cycle offerings, the differences are small.

Find your way to this years PNW Spy Meet-up and try mine 👍.

Great review!  I think you've inspired me to do one of the irons I'm gaming.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

3 hours ago, Puttingmatt said:

Not certain if I consider these game improvement or players distance?

That said, they are a good looking iron ,

Quite a change from the 585's.

For a good many irons, the lines have been so blurred between the traditional design categories, I feel we need a new "players improvement" category to define these (at least with standard lofts). As I've said, they look small but play big.  For those who have a big aversion to the "elephant ear on a stick" look, they should be on the list to try.

• 1 month later...

Outstanding review...

This is a picture of my Florida bag and I couldn't be happier. The ZX5's are a solid design with amazing feel, workability, and the distance is outstanding (Getting 180+ carry from a 4I). They can get a little dinged up but not bad considering I play and practice 7 days a week now and walk 90% of the time.

Definitely a solid investment imo... 

Florida Bag - Srixon ZX5.jpg

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Gaming: Woods: Cobra Radspeed XB Driver, 3W, 5W, Cobra KING Forged TEC 4-PW, Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 48*/10* F Grind, 54*/12* D Grind, 60*/12* D Grind, Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 🙂