Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Another Course Bites The Dust-Georgia

Headhammer

Well Its Official.  The National Golf Foundation came out with their 2021 report.   Only 130.5 golf courses closed in 2021.   I was trying to find out what exactly the nature of the courses that closed were, Daily Fee, Muni's or Private.  But I couldn't find the specifics listed.  Presumably you have to become  a member of the NGF at one of three levels, $295, $595, or $5995 for a year, to read the WHOLE REPORT.

So if you believe them this is good because its down from 164 courses last year.   I looked it up they have been saying its a supply and demand correction since it started in 2006.   I sure hope their right. For the record, I don't think they are.  I can see "public" golf getting hard to come by, in the future.  Likely not to affect me but I think its coming.

Edited by stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

St. Louis just lost Quail Creek, a Hale Irwin design in a South St. Louis County Park. A disagreement over funds to upgrade the course and the management left.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

1 hour ago, HDTVMAN said:

St. Louis just lost Quail Creek, a Hale Irwin design in a South St. Louis County Park. A disagreement over funds to upgrade the course and the management left.

That stinks. I played in a golf tournament at that course a few years ago. I wanted a logo ball but they were out at the time. Then they moved the tournament to Forest Park for the last two years and I never got back to Quail Creek to pick one up. I usually stay in Fenton when I'm in town. I should actually be there toward the end of the month. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 2/28/2022 at 4:59 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That stinks. I played in a golf tournament at that course a few years ago. I wanted a logo ball but they were out at the time. Then they moved the tournament to Forest Park for the last two years and I never got back to Quail Creek to pick one up. I usually stay in Fenton when I'm in town. I should actually be there toward the end of the month. 

If you stay in Fenton play Birch Creek, off I-44 at the Union exit, about 20 minutes south. One of the best courses in the St. Louis area. $35.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

3 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

If you stay in Fenton play Birch Creek, off I-44 at the Union exit, about 20 minutes south. One of the best courses in the St. Louis area. $35.

Thanks, I'll check it out. 

4 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

I also played Tapawingo several times and Pevely Farms. They were pretty good. Just don't play Tapawingo after a heavy rain. That course floods from the river nearby. 

• 4 weeks later...

Vegas lost a gem back in December when Royal Links shut down for housing.  This has been a trend the last few years with Silverstone, Badlands, Black Mountain and now Royal Links closing.

Now word just came out that Desert Pines is next on the chopping block soon for housing/parks.  With water at a premium and demand for housing up, Vegas will probably lose 1/3 to 1/2 of the remaining courses in the next 20 years.

• 2 months later...

Out my way from Atlanta (I'm in Douglas County) we have have a very good course - West Pines, and a terrific course in The Frog.  The Frog is regularly listed in the top 10 public courses in the state.  I play at West Pines (6800 from the tips) for $41/round with cart.  The Frog is around $60. 

I do agree, though, that public golf around Atlanta is lacking.  I really got spoiled when I lived in Orlando for 10 years.  You could play a different excellent course once per week and never play the same one twice in a year.  All public (or semi-private), and all under $100 (most under $60).

:callaway-small: BB Epic 10.5 turned down to 9.5. Stiff - Driver

:755178188_TourEdge: 3W - Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge: EX-9 3 & 5 hybrids, stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth irons, 5-PW, AW, Dynamic Gold Stiff

:vokey-small:SM6 56-degree SW, and 60-degree wedge

:ping-small: Zing Putter w/Winn NTP midsize grip

:taylormade-small: Tour Soft

Wish list - Sub70 699 pro irons, Titleist TSI 3 driver

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, Violinguy said:

Out my way from Atlanta (I'm in Douglas County) we have have a very good course - West Pines, and a terrific course in The Frog.  The Frog is regularly listed in the top 10 public courses in the state.  I play at West Pines (6800 from the tips) for $41/round with cart.  The Frog is around $60. 

I do agree, though, that public golf around Atlanta is lacking.  I really got spoiled when I lived in Orlando for 10 years.  You could play a different excellent course once per week and never play the same one twice in a year.  All public (or semi-private), and all under $100 (most under $60).

I lived in the Marietta area back in the 80's and early 90's. Public golf was not great back then and it's terrible in the Atlanta area now. I have played The Frog several times and always loved the course. From where you are, you could almost drive to Alabama and play some of the RTJ Trail courses.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

GREAT NEWS!!!  ONLY 50 COURSES CLOSED IN FIRST HALF OF 2022

That's right, and the NGF has even better news, they predict only 95 will close for the year..."depending on how things go".  And if we just can't take anymore good news, the trend has continued that 90% of the closures were of "daily use facilities", and good riddance to the 36 courses who closed this year whose peak rate was less than $40, who needs you, the number of "private courses" actually increased last year.

Pardon my sarcasm, but I think the Covid boon gave some places a reprieve of a year or two.  All of my local courses say rounds are down in 2022, and I'm just wondering as they continue to go down, which one of my local courses will be next!

BUT DON'T WORRY ITS STILL JUST A LEVELING OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND.. ACCORDING TO NGF!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 6/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, Violinguy said:

I second the Frog on the west side. I live in Florida by my company's office is on the East side of Atlanta so I'm up there quite a bit. 

Also on the southwest side (10 minutes west of the airport) is Wolf Creek. Never packed there and just very peaceful to play. It's out in the "boonies"

East side of Atlanta you have the Stone Mountain resort (Marriott property) which has 2 nice courses, Stonemont and Lakemont. There are some really pretty views on on both tracks.

Perhaps my favorite hidden gem on the East side is Cherokee Run out in Conyers/Covington area (about 25 minutes from downtown). There is not a single flat lie on this course. It is very hilly and woody but a lot of fun (and a lot frustration) to play!!

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 1:36 PM, tony@CIC said:

I read a news article about a month ago (Golf Digest?), that last year there was a much lower percentage of golf course turnover to development than in pervious years. But it wasn't but a week later that I also read that the California legislature want to push conversion of munis to housing. 

As long as golf is viewed as an elite sport , municipal courses are a target as they are not for “everyone”.  So that will force golfers to join private clubs. Hence, it is a self fulfilling prophecy. 1st tee can’t change that perspective fast enough. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH