Another Course Bites The Dust-Georgia

Headhammer

28 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I'll bet they're looking at RE tax potential - most likely more $$ from houses then golf course land. 

Of course it's all about the dollar. And even if it passes not all muni's will be gone, they are just removing their carve out and allow development of the land. I am not going to pretend that there isn't a housing shortage however like most things the powers that be are not attacking the correct way. Hell if they keep going with the water they way they are and the drought continues there will be so much land available to build on it will make your head spin. With that scenario everyone in the world will be paying outrageous prices for food so there will be no money for golf anyway. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Having lived in CA in the 70's and early 80', with absolutely no interest in doing so again, I'm not sure why this interests me save for the fact that I love golf and don't like the trend. That a bill aimed at "all" public owned golf courses was even drafted for consideration is lunacy.  We're not talking about a particular course where the trade study pencils out and clearly justifies a closure, but rather a carte-blanche, they serve no purpose/value decision.

Bill proposes all California municipal golf courses convert to housing (usatoday.com)

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Having lived in CA in the 70's and early 80', with absolutely no interest in doing so again, I'm not sure why this interests me save for the fact that I love golf and don't like the trend. That a bill aimed at "all" public owned golf courses was even drafted for consideration is lunacy.  We're not talking about a particular course where the trade study pencils out and clearly justifies a closure, but rather a carte-blanche, they serve no purpose/value decision.

Bill proposes all California municipal golf courses convert to housing (usatoday.com)

That was last year.  Do we know what the current status is?

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I live in Los Angeles and it is practically impossible to secure a tee time (even for a single) on any of the decent LA municipal courses. It is all about the $$$. City “leaders” want to convert to homeless housing. Imagine historic Rancho Park GC, formerly site of the LA Open prior to it being move to Riviera CC converted to a homeless shelter full of drug-addicted, mentally ill people, with feces everywhere. LA is a joke and spiraling downward which at this point is hard to do. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Probably based on the inaccurate perception that golf is an elitist activity and the muni's serve only the 'well to do'  

• Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

That was last year.  Do we know what the current status is?

@THEZIPR23responded above that the bill never got traction but that it's likely to resurface.  I'd bet money on the latter.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

@THEZIPR23responded above that the bill never got traction but that it's likely to resurface.  I'd bet money on the latter.

Found this article...

https://www.desertsun.com/story/sports/golf/2022/01/29/california-bill-ab-672-convert-municipal-golf-courses-affordable-housing-could-re-filed/9241307002/

I just don't see Torrey Pines or anything in the Palm Springs area that brings in tourists being turned into affordable housing.  

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Found this article...

https://www.desertsun.com/story/sports/golf/2022/01/29/california-bill-ab-672-convert-municipal-golf-courses-affordable-housing-could-re-filed/9241307002/

I just don't see Torrey Pines or anything in the Palm Springs area that brings in tourists being turned into affordable housing.  

Well, that may be great for the Palm Springs area but what about the average Joe living near the major city areas?  I mean if it's about providing low income housing, why not Palm Springs (rhetorical)?  This is the inconsistency (and overt hypocrisy) in these type arguments that bother me.

Anyway, don't want to head down the politics path so I'll just say that I hope course closures anywhere around the country are few and far between.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 3:28 PM, jdennish said:

Love my private course up in Cartersville, Cartersville Country Club. Some of the best greens in the state. 2 of Golf Digest top teachers in the Nation are out of CCC. You always see PGA, LPGA and Korn Ferry players out at the course. Hidden gem, I have been a member for almost 25 years.

How much does that membership cost? Nothing us regular folk can pay.

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 project x LZ 60 6.0 handcrafted shaft

CallawayEpic Flash 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

Callaway Big Bertha 19' irons 4-AW

Titleist SM7 Jet black with TT onyx black s400 shaft 50°

Callaway MD4 black 54° sand wedge

Callaway PM19 60° tour grey

Odyssey Toulon San Diego putter

1592935174442966599406225697326.jpg

Some people did parents did better than others.

I grew up poor never been to a country club

never played the game until I got out of the marine corps.

I all ways though,that country club people always had somebody do their dirty work for them.

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

Well Its Official.  The National Golf Foundation came out with their 2021 report.   Only 130.5 golf courses closed in 2021.   I was trying to find out what exactly the nature of the courses that closed were, Daily Fee, Muni's or Private.  But I couldn't find the specifics listed.  Presumably you have to become  a member of the NGF at one of three levels, $295, $595, or $5995 for a year, to read the WHOLE REPORT.

So if you believe them this is good because its down from 164 courses last year.   I looked it up they have been saying its a supply and demand correction since it started in 2006.   I sure hope their right. For the record, I don't think they are.  I can see "public" golf getting hard to come by, in the future.  Likely not to affect me but I think its coming.

Edited by stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

St. Louis just lost Quail Creek, a Hale Irwin design in a South St. Louis County Park. A disagreement over funds to upgrade the course and the management left.

• Sad 1

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter/1996 Original Odyssey (not Callaway) Dual Force Rossie Blade

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

1 hour ago, HDTVMAN said:

St. Louis just lost Quail Creek, a Hale Irwin design in a South St. Louis County Park. A disagreement over funds to upgrade the course and the management left.

That stinks. I played in a golf tournament at that course a few years ago. I wanted a logo ball but they were out at the time. Then they moved the tournament to Forest Park for the last two years and I never got back to Quail Creek to pick one up. I usually stay in Fenton when I'm in town. I should actually be there toward the end of the month. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

On 2/28/2022 at 4:59 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That stinks. I played in a golf tournament at that course a few years ago. I wanted a logo ball but they were out at the time. Then they moved the tournament to Forest Park for the last two years and I never got back to Quail Creek to pick one up. I usually stay in Fenton when I'm in town. I should actually be there toward the end of the month. 

If you stay in Fenton play Birch Creek, off I-44 at the Union exit, about 20 minutes south. One of the best courses in the St. Louis area. $35.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter/1996 Original Odyssey (not Callaway) Dual Force Rossie Blade

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

3 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

If you stay in Fenton play Birch Creek, off I-44 at the Union exit, about 20 minutes south. One of the best courses in the St. Louis area. $35.

Thanks, I'll check it out. 

4 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

I also played Tapawingo several times and Pevely Farms. They were pretty good. Just don't play Tapawingo after a heavy rain. That course floods from the river nearby. 

• 4 weeks later...

Vegas lost a gem back in December when Royal Links shut down for housing.  This has been a trend the last few years with Silverstone, Badlands, Black Mountain and now Royal Links closing.

Now word just came out that Desert Pines is next on the chopping block soon for housing/parks.  With water at a premium and demand for housing up, Vegas will probably lose 1/3 to 1/2 of the remaining courses in the next 20 years.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Out my way from Atlanta (I'm in Douglas County) we have have a very good course - West Pines, and a terrific course in The Frog.  The Frog is regularly listed in the top 10 public courses in the state.  I play at West Pines (6800 from the tips) for $41/round with cart.  The Frog is around $60. 

I do agree, though, that public golf around Atlanta is lacking.  I really got spoiled when I lived in Orlando for 10 years.  You could play a different excellent course once per week and never play the same one twice in a year.  All public (or semi-private), and all under $100 (most under $60).

• Like 1

:callaway-small: BB Epic 10.5 turned down to 9.5. Stiff - Driver

:755178188_TourEdge: EX-9 3 & 5 hybrids, stiff

:Hogan: BH-5 irons, 4-PW, stiff

:vokey-small:SM6 56-degree SW, and 60-degree wedge

:ping-small: Zing Putter w/Winn NTP midsize grip

:srixon-small: Soft Feel golf ball

Wish list - Srixon ZX5 or 7 irons, Sub70 699 pro irons, Callaway Jaws gap wedge, Vokey gap wedge

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, Violinguy said:

Out my way from Atlanta (I'm in Douglas County) we have have a very good course - West Pines, and a terrific course in The Frog.  The Frog is regularly listed in the top 10 public courses in the state.  I play at West Pines (6800 from the tips) for $41/round with cart.  The Frog is around $60. 

I do agree, though, that public golf around Atlanta is lacking.  I really got spoiled when I lived in Orlando for 10 years.  You could play a different excellent course once per week and never play the same one twice in a year.  All public (or semi-private), and all under $100 (most under $60).

I lived in the Marietta area back in the 80's and early 90's. Public golf was not great back then and it's terrible in the Atlanta area now. I have played The Frog several times and always loved the course. From where you are, you could almost drive to Alabama and play some of the RTJ Trail courses.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff 

Irons: :cobra-small: 4 - PW King Forged Tec with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 or Maxfli Tour

GREAT NEWS!!!  ONLY 50 COURSES CLOSED IN FIRST HALF OF 2022

That's right, and the NGF has even better news, they predict only 95 will close for the year..."depending on how things go".  And if we just can't take anymore good news, the trend has continued that 90% of the closures were of "daily use facilities", and good riddance to the 36 courses who closed this year whose peak rate was less than $40, who needs you, the number of "private courses" actually increased last year.

Pardon my sarcasm, but I think the Covid boon gave some places a reprieve of a year or two.  All of my local courses say rounds are down in 2022, and I'm just wondering as they continue to go down, which one of my local courses will be next!

BUT DON'T WORRY ITS STILL JUST A LEVELING OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND.. ACCORDING TO NGF!

• Sad 1

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow