TESTERS WANTED! ×

2022 Titleist Official New AVX Golf Ball Launch

Golfspy_CG2

TITLEIST INTRODUCES THE NEW AVX GOLF BALL

Longer distance, improved short game spin, very soft feel

Fairhaven, Mass. (January 19, 2022)  Titleist introduces the third generation of its AVX golf ball, improving upon short game spin and control, increasing driver distance, and providing even softer feel. The original AVX was engineered by Titleist in 2018 as a performance alternative to its flagship Pro V1 and Pro V1x by offering the lowest flight, lowest spin and softest feel of the three premium offerings. The new AVX reflects further advancements in the brand’s industry-leading multi-component technology with additional breakthrough results for golfers who prioritize distance and extremely soft feel in a urethane covered golf ball.

Flight, Spin, and Feel are three key performance attributes we evaluate during our green-to-tee fittings and golf ball selection,” said Frederick Waddell, Director of Golf Ball Product Management, Titleist. “AVX provides a low flight, low spin, exceptionally soft feel alternative to Pro V1 and Pro V1x. With these three golf balls, plus Pro V1x Left Dash, every golfer that prioritizes performance can find a precise fit for their game.”

“With new AVX, we focused on what AVX golfers are asking for: improving upon the already incredible distance and feel that golfers love, while enhancing greenside spin,” added Waddell. “We achieved this by softening the urethane cover to achieve greater short game performance, while adding a new core formulation for speed, and new aerodynamics for flight stability and more distance.”

AVX is a premium, technologically advanced golf ball, and the golfers who play it choose AVX because it gives their specific game a performance advantage.

“All components of a golf ball are connected when it comes to performance,” said Mike Madson, Director of Aerodynamics and Research Engineering, Titleist. “When we set out to increase distance and enhance greenside spin, we looked at every layer of the golf ball for improvements. New AVX includes improvements to the core formulation, cover and aerodynamics. The dimple pattern is an area of constant innovation.  We continuously design and test new dimple configurations so we can match an aerodynamic pattern specific to the golf ball construction. With AVX, the 348 catenary dimple pattern is optimized specifically for the low flight window of AVX to produce maximum distance.”

2022_AVX_3.jpg

2022 AVX PERFORMANCE AND TECHNOLOGY: The NEW Titleist AVX golf ball has been reengineered to deliver unmatched performance in a low compression, multi-layered construction through proprietary core, cover and aerodynamic technologies:

 NEW REFORMULATED CORE generates high speed and low long game spin to drive more distance with exceptionally soft feel.

-  Increases stiffness of the outermost portions of the core

-  Keeps the center of the core soft

-  Incrementally decreases driver and long game spin

-  High Flex Casing layer promotes high ball speed and low spin on long shots for enhanced distance

 NEW SOFTER COVER contributes to increased greenside spin and control.

-  Specific formulation developed by Titleist R&D, and precisely and exclusively cast by Golf Ball Operations.

-  Increases the soft (urethane cover) over hard (high flex casing) differential which contributes to improved short game and greenside spin.

 NEW 348 TETRAHEDRAL CATENARY AERODYNAMIC DIMPLE PATTERN delivers a piercing, low trajectory while providing a consistent ball flight on all shots.

-  7 dimple sizes

-  Part of the Pro V1 and Pro V1x evaluations that started in 2013

-  The new pattern is longer and more consistent

-  Designed exclusively for the low flight window of AVX

TitleistAVX_2.jpg

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY: $49.99 MAP | AVX is offered in both white and high optic yellow, and will be available in golf shops worldwide beginning February 4, 2022. AVX golf balls can also be customized through the My Titleist customizer at:  https://www.titleist.com/custom

MANUFACTURING EXCELLENCE: AVX is made by Titleist associates at the company’s state-of-the-art Ball Plant 3 manufacturing facility in New Bedford, Mass. to the highest performance and quality specifications in the industry. By owning every step of the golf ball making process, Titleist ensures the most consistent performance ball to ball, and dozen to dozen.

TITLEIST GOLF BALL FITTING AND EDUCATION: The Pro V1, Pro V1x, Pro V1x Left Dash and AVX are differentiated based upon flight, spin, and feel. Compared to the flagship Pro V1, the new AVX flies lower, spins less and feels softer for most golfers. AVX has similar spin off driver and long irons and lower spin on short irons and wedges. Golfers are encouraged to determine for themselves which TITLEIST is best for them, and offers four different options to get fit:

• Online Golf Ball Selection Tool
  • Golf Ball Internship Program
  • Virtual Consultations
  • Tour Level Fitting

To learn more and find the best option for you, visit:  https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-ball-fitting

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

$50 feels kinda steep for these, IMO. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

7 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Yeah, Especially with ProV's selling for $49 on many retail sites now, even though they are MSRP of $52 I believe.,   I guess they could have gone with $44 but, I think there are two thoughts.   Not wanting to bastardize the sale of Tour Speeds and also staying with the thought that AVX really is another ProV despite the different name.   

Those are just my thoughts as a ball consume and someone that tries to figure out pricing strategies, not anything I've heard officially. 

Yeah the price seems high, but not as high as the Tour Speeds. I think the Tour Speeds are way too high, there is not enough of a discount to drop down and play those. Just pay for the ProVs.

Are any tour players using the AVX? Not that it matters to me but it would legitimize them as a premium alternative to ProV1/x.

I typically like a harder golf ball but I actually enjoy playing these because they don't feel as soft as Chromesoft which I don't like at all.

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

When's the price drop on the current model??? 😜

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

23 minutes ago, TBS said:

Yeah the price seems high, but not as high as the Tour Speeds. I think the Tour Speeds are way too high, there is not enough of a discount to drop down and play those. Just pay for the ProVs.

Are any tour players using the AVX? Not that it matters to me but it would legitimize them as a premium alternative to ProV1/x.

I typically like a harder golf ball but I actually enjoy playing these because they don't feel as soft as Chromesoft which I don't like at all.

Last I heard, there was one LPGA player playing the AVX, but no PGA or Korn Ferry players with the AVX. 

I'll probably try the new AVX's just to see how they've changed, but I tried them last year and didn't really care for them.  Although with them costing $50 they would have to be really good in order to change from the ProV's, and I just don't see that happening.  

Softer feel is interesting. I thought the last release was a little soft.

More green side spin is a good thing and last release was an improvement over the original but wasn’t as good as the Prov1, better than prov1x left dash

Interesting that they don’t list the Prov1 left dot in their balls. Leads me to think it’s not going to be a normal release like left dash

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just what we need another $50.00/ Dozen golf ball.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Softer feel is interesting. I thought the last release was a little soft.

More green side spin is a good thing and last release was an improvement over the original but wasn’t as good as the Prov1, better than prov1x left dash

Interesting that they don’t list the Prov1 left dot in their balls. Leads me to think it’s not going to be a normal release like left dash

As someone that got 2 sleeves to test, they do spin more. I am a drop hop stop with V1X and other balls (and that's what happened when I would drop a V1X using same club, same greens, same day when testing last week in Boca), but these? I was able to get backwards spin on the green. Like many feet worth. I actually had to go beyond the pin on many shots for it to spin back after landing in the middle, and having them roll back to the front, or roll off (or into the traps) sometimes. 4 birds on the back once I figured THAT out. My brother wasn't too happy...  yet said this is the best he'd seen me play. I'll take it after 35 years playing golf with him! 

Mixed bag... Mizzy irons, Callaway Woods, Vokey Wedges, Odyssey putter

I’ve always like the AVX and seem to play well with it.   May have to actually buy a sleeve and try them out.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Imp said:

Titleist-AVX-golf-ball-4.jpg

Is it me, or does that look a bit off? 2-4 o'clock shallow, 8-10 o'clock thick? 

Nope,  but maybe my eyes are bad, but looks consistent all the way around to me.

I cant wait to try these. I play the 2020 AVX which fits my game (naturally high ball flight) like a glove. If there is a tiny more greenside spin while maintaining the low spin low ballflight, Titleist will have a winner for me.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM2 driver with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 wood: Taylormade SIM2 Max Driver with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

3 iron: Taylormade Sim UDI Diamana shaft

4-PW: Taylormade P790 Dynamic gold 105 VSS

GW: Cleveland CBX 50*

SW/LW: Taylormade MG3 Raw 54* and 58*

Putter: Odyssey 2 ball Ten Triple Track

Ball: Titleist AVX

On my '22 list of "to try".  Some interesting claims in the write-up, my mileage may vary.  

• '22 AVX
  • Srixon Diamond
  • '22 Chrome Soft LS

Will be comparing against my premium gamer (left dash), and lower cost gamer (Maxfli Tour).  We'll see.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

In all honesty, I think you're seeing the end of the AVX line with this release. As mentioned in the article, it feels like this and Left Dot can fill a similar space for Titleist on store shelves, and with the popularity of the limited Left Dot release, I could totally see that ball replacing AVX as leading to a Pro V1 only named lineup in 2023 once materials are more readily available.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

7 hours ago, Imp said:

Titleist-AVX-golf-ball-4.jpg

Is it me, or does that look a bit off? 2-4 o'clock shallow, 8-10 o'clock thick? 

The cover appears brighter on the left, which makes it appear thicker. Probably the lighting. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 1/19/2022 at 9:15 AM, russtopherb said:

Titleist premium balls (Prov1, Prov1x, -Prov1x, Prov1 Left Dot, AVX).  The AVX stands for the Alternative to the ProV1 and the Prov1X.  So I would say they are in line in the pricing.  I always stock up in the spring when you can purchase four dozen for the price of three thru Titleist's promotion and their accounts.  (Great deal at $37.50, during the promotion, based of MSRP $50.00.)      

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

8 minutes ago, ChuckZ said:

Titleist premium balls (Prov1, Prov1x, -Prov1x, Prov1 Left Dot, AVX).  The AVX stands for the Alternative to the ProV1 and the Prov1X.  So I would say they are in line in the pricing.  I buy mine in the spring when you can purchase four dozen for the price of three thru Titleist and their accounts.  Great deal.  

Rumor is that deal is dead for this year in case you or anyone is thinking of ordering balls.

Havnet had official confirmation yet but have been told by two shops 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Rumor is that deal is dead for this year in case you or anyone is thinking of ordering balls.

Havnet had official confirmation yet but have been told by two shops 

Hate rumors.  Shops do not make those decisions and do not know until release comes down from Titleist.  It has been a very successful promotion for Titleist.  Guess we have to wait and see.  Not in real need at this point.  With respect.     

22 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Nope,  but maybe my eyes are bad, but looks consistent all the way around to me.

It's off by my eye, and I looked at it in photoshop, and checked opposite sides with the ruler tool, thickest parts. Still have the cut ball? Take some calipers to it...  

Titleist-AVX-golf-ball-4.png

Edited by Imp

37 minutes ago, ChuckZ said:

Titleist premium balls (Prov1, Prov1x, -Prov1x, Prov1 Left Dot, AVX).  The AVX stands for the Alternative to the ProV1 and the Prov1X.  So I would say they are in line in the pricing.  I always stock up in the spring when you can purchase four dozen for the price of three thru Titleist's promotion and their accounts.  (Great deal at $37.50, during the promotion, based of MSRP $50.00.)      

Respectfully disagree. The AVX is not in the same category as the ProV1 regardless of how Titleist spins it. The makeup and characteristics of the ball are in the $30 range, not the $50. 

As others noted, the free ball deal is most likely not going to be happening. OEMs have no desire to give away product in a market situation where they're most likely going to be running short on stock due to materials shortages (not to mention higher raw material costs). 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

17 minutes ago, Imp said:

It's off by my eye, and I looked at it in photoshop, and checked opposite sides with the ruler tool, thickest parts. Still have the cut ball? Take some calipers to it...  

Titleist-AVX-golf-ball-4.png

I don’t think we are disagreeing that it could be off.  unless you know that the ball was photographed perpendicular to the camera it is just a guess; You would need the ball and calipers to verify. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t think we are disagreeing that it could be off.  unless you know that the ball was photographed perpendicular to the camera it is just a guess; You would need the ball and calipers to verify. 

"Still have the cut ball? Take some calipers to it...  " Yes. Correct.

6 minutes ago, Imp said:

"Still have the cut ball? Take some calipers to it...  " Yes. Correct.

Who are you addressing that comment to?   Unknown who has the ball and if they will even read Your comment. 

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Who are you addressing that comment to?   Unknown who has the ball and if they will even read Your comment. 

I quoted you, so I was responding to you.

In the post with the pic of the ball, I said, which you also quoted "Still have the cut ball? Take some calipers to it...  "

And that pic with the ball was quoting Golfspy_CG2, so he should get a notification, and also see both the pic, and the quote about the calipers. 

So, not really sure why you had to say, again, what I already said, that you need calipers... 😉

Just to be clear, you need calipers. And maybe he's still go the ball to measure. 😉

Now, if you're upset, re-read all the above, but with a Monty Python attitude. Hopefully, you'll laugh. 😉 Words on pages sucks. 

"So, he's not to leave the castle, unless he's with you... got it." *walks out*

4 minutes ago, Imp said:

I quoted you, so I was responding to you.

In the post with the pic of the ball, I said, which you also quoted "Still have the cut ball? Take some calipers to it...  "

And that pic with the ball was quoting Golfspy_CG2, so he should get a notification, and also see both the pic, and the quote about the calipers. 

So, not really sure why you had to say, again, what I already said, that you need calipers... 😉

Just to be clear, you need calipers. And maybe he's still go the ball to measure. 😉

Now, if you're upset, re-read all the above, but with a Monty Python attitude. Hopefully, you'll laugh. 😉 Words on pages sucks. 

"So, he's not to leave the castle, unless he's with you... got it." *walks out*

Not upset, Just trying to help you out since you’ve posted a couple of times asking for measurements.  Golfspy_CG2 is one of the forum moderators; he reposted the MGS blog post here to generate discussion.  He doesn’t have the ball.    Chris Nickel wrote the MGS article and I am pretty sure he doesn’t have the ball and photos were added in the editing phase; he occasionally reads the forum.  Based on the other pictures in the article my guess would be Tony Covey took the picture and may have the ball. Tony occasionally pops on here but probably less than 5% chance he sees you particular question.   Best best is to wait until Tony does a ball lab on the AVX and he reports on these type of errors.   

2 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

Hate rumors.  Shops do not make those decisions and do not know until release comes down from Titleist.  It has been a very successful promotion for Titleist.  Guess we have to wait and see.  Not in real need at this point.  With respect.     

Well the shop talks to the rep and the rep gets their information from headquarters. So if the rep tells the shop they won’t be doing the loyalty program in 2022 them there’s a good chance they aren’t doing it. Since there hasn’t been any official word from titleist as of now it’s still somewhat in the rumor category because it could change. Just like Ping did with the i525 release.

5 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Respectfully disagree. The AVX is not in the same category as the ProV1 regardless of how Titleist spins it. The makeup and characteristics of the ball are in the $30 range, not the $50. 

As others noted, the free ball deal is most likely not going to be happening. OEMs have no desire to give away product in a market situation where they're most likely going to be running short on stock due to materials shortages (not to mention higher raw material costs). 

We agree to disagree.  I have played the AVX and it is definitely in the premium ball category.  We will have to stick around and see how the ball deal plays out this year.  Keep your eyes open.