Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2022 Titleist Official New AVX Golf Ball Launch

Golfspy_CG2

2 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

We agree to disagree.  I have played the AVX and it is definitely in the premium ball category.  We will have to stick around and see how the ball deal plays out this year.  Keep your eyes open. 

Of course it is. People expect tour level balls to be played on tour. But most tour players aren’t looking for both lower launch and lower spin. The swap of the Prov1 and Prov1x has pros switching to the Prov1 and many have stayed with it as they brought the last version closer to the prov1x. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

We agree to disagree.  I have played the AVX and it is definitely in the premium ball category.  We will have to stick around and see how the ball deal plays out this year.  Keep your eyes open. 

I agree. I played the AVX last season and it is a premium ball. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

The AVX is a top shelf ball.  Had they named it ProV1A a lot of the conversations about it wouldn’t even be happening.  Since it doesn’t wield the ProV1 house name, it “doesn’t match up…” but it is still in the same category, it’s like this.

Ferrari with a Manual Transmission (ProV1)

Ferrari with an Auto (V1x)

Ferrari with a sequential transmission (AVX)

They are all Ferraris, and they are all awesome, but just a little bit different.

*disclaimer, I did absolutely zero fact checking to se if Ferrari has those transmission offerings.

The AVX is a premium ball.  I played it for the majority of the year. It performs exceptionally well.  I wish it were a little cheaper.  Through the MGS ball lab testing, it showed me that the Taylormade Tour Response and the Maxfli Tour are exactly what I am looking for in less spin and softer feel and in the same category as the AVX.  As each can be had for $15-$20 less than the AVX I have made the switch.  I will definitely buy a sleeve and try them out.

18 hours ago, cnosil said:

Not upset, Just trying to help you out since you’ve posted a couple of times asking for measurements.  Golfspy_CG2 is one of the forum moderators; he reposted the MGS blog post here to generate discussion.  He doesn’t have the ball.    Chris Nickel wrote the MGS article and I am pretty sure he doesn’t have the ball and photos were added in the editing phase; he occasionally reads the forum.  Based on the other pictures in the article my guess would be Tony Covey took the picture and may have the ball. Tony occasionally pops on here but probably less than 5% chance he sees you particular question.   Best best is to wait until Tony does a ball lab on the AVX and he reports on these type of errors.   

[Sarcasm] Oh, wow, didn't know that. [/Sarcasm] 

Again, you're lecturing me on stuff I already know, said, read, and making a comment that *it needs to be checked*. I would think the moderator has a connection to other staff to say "hey, check this out". 🙂 That's kinda how it works *here*, no? Someone finds something, it moves up the chain? I mean, this is a special corner of the internet for golf forums... 😉

Edited by Imp

Mixed bag... Mizzy irons, Callaway Woods, Vokey Wedges, Odyssey putter

1 hour ago, Imp said:

Again, you're lecturing me on stuff I already know, said, read, and making a comment that *it needs to be checked*. I would think the moderator has a connection to other staff to say "hey, check this out". 🙂 That's kinda how it works *here*, no? Someone finds something, it moves up the chain? I mean, this is a special corner of the internet for golf forums... 😉

you’ve got a couple of sleeves,  check yourself, and report back.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Imp said:

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 1 year later...

So I called my buddy who is a PGA Pro and the buy 3 get 4 is limited at locations and he’s only able to order 10 of the deals. The cost this year is $180 for the 4 dozen, plus tax, which for me will be 10%…. So, that comes-out to $49.50 a dozen, average, and I see them online for $55, so a $5.50 savings per dozen. My Ping Ballnamic recommendation at Ping HQ showed the AVX as the heavy favorite based-on my numbers from the fitting, but are they WORTH $50 a dozen?!?! Srixon’s deal is MUCH better, but they don’t have a similar ball, and I can get TP5/TP5X for less than $40/dozen.

The Wilson Triad was next best in my results, but there is a NINE yard distance off driver difference between AVX and Triad, and a 13.6 yard advantage off driver into the wind vs my Z Star… Ugh.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

8 hours ago, PMookie said:

Ping HQ showed the AVX as the heavy favorite based-on my numbers from the fitting, but are they WORTH $50 a dozen?!?!

Simple answer yes they are.

The more complicated answer is they are a great ball for the people they fit and having the best ball for you on the course can go a long way into scoring better. The value of that for the price is only something you or whoever is buying a product can determine.

For me the Prov1 has been the best ball for me, I could get into the prov1x if I want to hear a slightly louder sound on putts. I only venture into other balls if I’m just curious about trying them and I buy a dozen, but even that is limited to bridgestone and TaylorMade. 

I’ve tried Srixon balls on several occasions and they weren’t as good as Prov1 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1