TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shoulder Surgery and the Road to Recovery

fozcycle

Glad to hear you're getting out to play and on the downhill side of getting back to pre-incident game 👍.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 4 weeks later...

On vacay last week in Clarksville GA.  Played 3 times on some rigorous mountain courses.  My shoulder still has soreness which does restrict movement.  Working with dumbbells and therabands.  Not quite done.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I think I mentioned earlier I had major shoulder rotator cuff surgery March 9th 2021. PT is an on going thing even after being released from the PT and Doc. I recently had some spazzing in my right scapula I went back to PT for and after 2 sessions it was gone. My shoulder still doesn't have the strength before surgery and not sure I'll ever get it back. Any shoulder work I do taxes it pretty good but it doesn't hurt. range of motion is only about 80% as well as I sometimes have to move in a funky way to get a dumbell raised to do over head press. 

Keep moving and listen to your shoulder, it will tell you when its tired or hurting. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

2 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

I think I mentioned earlier I had major shoulder rotator cuff surgery March 9th 2021. PT is an on going thing even after being released from the PT and Doc. I recently had some spazzing in my right scapula I went back to PT for and after 2 sessions it was gone. My shoulder still doesn't have the strength before surgery and not sure I'll ever get it back. Any shoulder work I do taxes it pretty good but it doesn't hurt. range of motion is only about 80% as well as I sometimes have to move in a funky way to get a dumbell raised to do over head press. 

Keep moving and listen to your shoulder, it will tell you when its tired or hurting. 

I’m over 3 years from shoulder surgery and stayed with the exercises and it’s been great.  It does take time to heal and like you’ll hear do the rehab/exercises.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

36 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I’m over 3 years from shoulder surgery and stayed with the exercises and it’s been great.  It does take time to heal and like you’ll hear do the rehab/exercises.

This is the second major repair on the same shoulder. No idea what happened or why my shoulder decided to start hurting again. It slowly got worse and worse to where I couldn't lift a 5 LB DB or curl a 2LB DB.  

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

25 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

This is the second major repair on the same shoulder. No idea what happened or why my shoulder decided to start hurting again. It slowly got worse and worse to where I couldn't lift a 5 LB DB or curl a 2LB DB.  

Be careful don’t need a 3rd.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

36 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Be careful don’t need a 3rd.  

The next one will be number 4 shoulder surgery, I've had 3 total one on the left and 2 on the right.  No I do not want another

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

41 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

The next one will be number 4 shoulder surgery, I've had 3 total one on the left and 2 on the right.  No I do not want another

No you sure don’t!

Rick

Left Hand, 

The top of my right shoulder has been hurting since I used one of those extension poles/cutters to trim some dead branches.  I hope I don't have to go through what some of you guys have! May mine is just a tweaked muscle strain etc. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

The top of my right shoulder has been hurting since I used one of those extension poles/cutters to trim some dead branches.  I hope I don't have to go through what some of you guys have! May mine is just a tweaked muscle strain etc. 

Hope you don’t either.  It’s no fun.  Might have overextended while trimming.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Shoulder still has pain and stiffness, but I am swinging okay.  This week I see the Orthopedic Doc then take 15 players to Kissimee for four days of golf, a different course every day.  I am hopeful that my shoulder can handle 4 days in a row.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

The Orthopedic Doc cleared both my wife and myself from his care.  We are now free to move about the country!  It has been 10 months since the auto accident and we are just now feel8ng our old selves again.  I know I still have some shoulder pain so I will continue to exercise with weights and bands to remedy the pain.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:46 PM, fozcycle said:

The Orthopedic Doc cleared both my wife and myself from his care.  We are now free to move about the country!  It has been 10 months since the auto accident and we are just now feel8ng our old selves again.  I know I still have some shoulder pain so I will continue to exercise with weights and bands to remedy the pain.

Today was my last day of therapy…they were happy but saddened to see me go…..been going 2 to 3 times a week since early last October. Think I was there longest standing client….LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 12:15 PM, fozcycle said:

Today was my last day of therapy…they were happy but saddened to see me go…..been going 2 to 3 times a week since early last October. Think I was there longest standing client….LOL.

Keep up with your homework, stretches and strengthening of the shoulder and surrounding muscles.  There will be days days when you feel like you did when you were twenty, then days when you'll hurt, ache and wonder what the hell happened. Good luck and hit em straight. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

Thanks JFish, I am using a 3 lb dumbbell and the red and blue therabands 

Got my MRI results back...SLAP tear, and partial tear of the long head bicep tendon.  

Actually, I got into my record and downloaded the radiology report myself...haven't heard from my doc yet.  But, I'm likely going to just live with it rather than risk the surgery.  Sucks.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

46 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Got my MRI results back...SLAP tear, and partial tear of the long head bicep tendon.  

Actually, I got into my record and downloaded the radiology report myself...haven't heard from my doc yet.  But, I'm likely going to just live with it rather than risk the surgery.  Sucks.

Sounds like a reason to go back on the sauce to me.  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Yuck, good luck whatever you decide.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 4 months later...

Just got back from the VA after getting cortisone injections in both knees. Third time so I wonder how long it will last….1st time lasted 14 months, 2nd time 8 months.  I tried to get it done befor3 our two day tourney last week but, alas, could not get scheduled until this week.  The Dr is the same one for all 3 times so I was comfortable with him.

wondering how many times before they want to scope my knees.

44 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Just got back from the VA after getting cortisone injections in both knees. Third time so I wonder how long it will last….1st time lasted 14 months, 2nd time 8 months.  I tried to get it done befor3 our two day tourney last week but, alas, could not get scheduled until this week.  The Dr is the same one for all 3 times so I was comfortable with him.

Oh boy, loaded question.  When I 1st realized my meniscus was torn Doc asked cortisone or scope I chose cortisone.  Cortisone did nothing for me maybe 2 months.  Doc offered scope I chose Supartz lasted 5 months.  I asked for scope he said no, by that time there wasn’t a meniscus to trim was now bone on bone.  Went with GelSyn until I could get knee replacement but now we we’re into Covid era Docs we’re retiring in droves and no elective surgeries we’re allowed!!!  Finally got a good Doc, got in the schedule and replacement done June 2nd Yea!!!!   Great job, no real pain anymore and can walk.  The bad news is my left knee same problem starting.  Maybe next year get same Doc and same procedure, not messing with cortisone or GelSyn.   
I do take Meloxicam for inflammation and keeps knee from hurting.

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Same as the number of licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop

F1lUF.gif

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

Oh boy, loaded question.  When I 1st realized my meniscus was torn Doc asked cortisone or scope I chose cortisone.  Cortisone did nothing for me maybe 2 months.  Doc offered scope I chose Supartz lasted 5 months.  I asked for scope he said no, by that time there wasn’t a meniscus to trim was now bone on bone.  Went with GelSyn until I could get knee replacement but now we we’re into Covid era Docs we’re retiring in droves and no elective surgeries we’re allowed!!!  Finally got a good Doc, got in the schedule and replacement done June 2nd Yea!!!!   Great job, no real pain anymore and can walk.  The bad news is my left knee same problem starting.  Maybe next year get same Doc and same procedure, not messing with cortisone or GelSyn.   
I do take Meloxicam for inflammation and keeps knee from hurting.

Glad to know there is light at the end of the rainbow…..

In 2013 I had torn rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder and my left shoulder was repaired in 2016.  I have been having pain in my left shoulder this year and found out in August that I have a complete tear in the rotator cuff tendon again.  Lucky me gets to go through the 3 - 4 month recovery period with torturous physical therapy again.  I have scheduled the procedure for late November, so at least I won't be missing good golf weather here in Missouri.  The only good thing about this injury is I can still play golf relatively pain free up until my surgery.  

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

• 1 month later...

I am 3 weeks post surgery and progressing well.  The sling is very uncomfortable, but the pain has not been bad.  

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

51 minutes ago, David Leighton Reid said:

I am 3 weeks post surgery and progressing well.  The sling is very uncomfortable, but the pain has not been bad.  

It’ll keep getting better every day.  I know it’s been said a lot “do the rehab “.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 1 year later...

It's inspiring to see your determination to bounce back and get back on the course. I remember when my friend injured his shoulder playing basketball. He found this great website https://www.kevinkrusemd.com/carrollton-tx-shoulder-specialist/ while searching for options. He followed his rehab plan diligently and gradually got back into the game. Take it one step at a time, listen to your body, and don't rush the process. Your dedication will surely pay off.

Edited by DanielleRam