TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can anyone explain this video to me in layman terms

Goober

8 hours ago, Goober said:

Been watching a ton of this guys stuff. Like the baseball analogies. But just not grasping the concept I guess.Any simple thoughts please 

The simple answer: don’t watch YouTube golf instruction.   9:00 of rambling about multiple concepts with no real focus.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The simple answer: don’t watch YouTube golf instruction.   9:00 of rambling about multiple concepts with no real focus.  

+1 Exactly

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Oy, my head hurts, and I didn't get halfway through.  In my opinion, learning about the golf swing is fine, and really interesting at times, but it doesn't help you to improve YOUR golf swing.  For that, you need a good instructor to evaluate your golf swing, and suggest specific changes that you need to make, one or two at a time.  As for this particular video, there may be some good information, but you almost certainly don't have the skill to pick out and incorporate the things that will matter to you.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The first 2:48 of the video are pretty good.  He’s showing how the golf swing and swings/shots in other sports are quite similar.  But the video goes completely off the rails starting around 3:00.  He tosses out a few things that can go wrong, half complete thoughts on how things work and a few arguments with other instructors.  Hard pass on this video.

Mike Malaska (Malaska Golf) and Shawn Clement (Wisdom in Golf) have much better videos showing the similarity of the different swings and how paying attention to/feeling the movements (in say throwing a ball) can help one feel/understand/learn the golf swing.  

Malaska refers to this as “adjacency”.  In his book “I feel Your Pain,” he has a full section on it and talks about tennis, hockey, baseball and other sports and how one can transfer skills from those sports to golf.   

For under $30 buy Efficient swing from rebellion golf.

If you want free signup for the free version of athletic motion golf. The free portion has their YouTube videos and drills broken down by segment. 

if you want YouTube only Chris Ryan has some of the best organized content.

https://athleticmotiongolf.com/memberships/

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I do have to ask as this is in the back of my mind,  The OP has commented multiple times that people shouldn’t watch YouTube videos and are overthinking the game and then posts this saying he watches and learns from YouTube videos and wants an interpretation if this particular video.   Does anyone else find this puzzling? 🤔 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've never taken lessons, and for my own reasons, I have no imminent plans to. Maybe I don't belong on this forum.

I learned my basic golf swing from the DIYer's YouTube predecessor known as a book (Jack's "Golf My Way"). Since picking up the game last year after over a decade away, my iPhone's video camera has helped me identify some (lifelong?) swing flaws, and a few poignant YT vids have helped me where they are concerned. Add in a few non-swing related vids and podcast episodes, and I've finally manage to improve from the mid-high 90s down into the 80s on occasion (never broken 90 before September). Clearly there's crap YT content to beware of, and clearly I'm not intending to brag about anything, especially surrounded by so many better players, but hopefully that improvement continues in 2022.

As far as this vid is concerned, it seems disjointed and difficult to follow after the initial moments. On the positive side, though, his side-by-side comparison of the two swings that get into plane from different positions at the top (~6:20) was educational to me, showing a couple of examples of how a player can take a full backswing in different ways and bring it on plane in the downswing. I won't be applying any of that myself, but I still found it interesting.

6 minutes ago, Gusset said:

I've never taken lessons, and for my own reasons, I have no imminent plans to. Maybe I don't belong on this forum.

I learned my basic golf swing from the DIYer's YouTube predecessor known as a book (Jack's "Golf My Way"). Since picking up the game last year after over a decade away, my iPhone's video camera has helped me identify some (lifelong?) swing flaws, and a few poignant YT vids have helped me where they are concerned. Add in a few non-swing related vids and podcast episodes, and I've finally manage to improve from the mid-high 90s down into the 80s on occasion (never broken 90 before September). Clearly there's crap YT content to beware of, and clearly I'm not intending to brag about anything, especially surrounded by so many better players, but hopefully that improvement continues in 2022..

Not sure why you don’t think you belong on this forum as you didn’t specify.  The forum is made up of people that take lesson, people that are self taught, and any other approach you can think of.   Ultimately we are just here to talk golf, answer questions on where we have knowledge, and become “friends”.   There are disagreements approaches and strategies but we try to keep it civil. Everyone is welcome including new golfers who can’t break 150 to players playing competitive golf.  

id advise you to keep doing what your doing because it seems to be working.   

as for the video, yes there was lots of information I there to be gathered but it was very difficult to digest and explain what he was trying to communicate.   Basics were don’t rotate so much, there’s lateral movement like other sports…but not too much, in the transition you need to flatten your club, and you can transition to the downswing from a variety of club positions.   

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not sure why you don’t think you belong on this forum as you didn’t specify. 

I suppose I was just pushing back a bit against the initial responses in this thread (advising against watching YT golf instruction). Over-reaction on my part, my apologies.

5 minutes ago, Gusset said:

I suppose I was just pushing back a bit against the initial responses in this thread (advising against watching YT golf instruction). Over-reaction on my part, my apologies.

Sorry about that;   If you read my follow up response, the OP has been criticizing people for watching YouTube instruction.  

personally, my only caveat on YouTube instruction is that people look for tips to fix a problem and if you use the wrong tip you could go down a bad path.  For example, There are 100s of ways to fix a slice but pick the wrong one and you don’t fix the slice so many be now you have two problems and when you try the tip that would have fixed the first problem you are still slicing.   

we golfers are stubborn people 😂

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Sorry about that;   If you read my follow up response, the OP has been criticizing people for watching YouTube instruction.  

personally, my only caveat on YouTube instruction is that people look for tips to fix a problem and if you use the wrong tip you could go down a bad path.  For example, There are 100s of ways to fix a slice but pick the wrong one and you don’t fix the slice so many be now you have two problems and when you try the tip that would have fixed the first problem you are still slicing.   

we golfers are stubborn people 😂

I totally missed that. Wiping the egg off my face now. Also- indeed, yes, the world of YT advice and instruction is definitely a quagmire that has to be thoughtfully navigated. I can attest.

3 hours ago, Gusset said:

I'm one of those who will consistently advise against searching YT for instruction, I just believe its more likely to be harmful rather than fruitful.  Even if a player takes some good video of his swing, most of us are going to see "symptoms", but will not have the knowledge to be able to determine the root cause of those symptoms.  For every visible "fault" there might be a dozen different root causes, and hundreds of bits of advice to fix that "fault".  If going the self-diagnosis and instrucitonal video route has helped you, that's great, but I think you're probably the exception.

All of that aside, if you're a golfer you're welcome at My Golf Spy.  

Edited by DaveP043

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

I do have to ask as this is in the back of my mind,  The OP has commented multiple times that people shouldn’t watch YouTube videos and are overthinking the game and then posts this saying he watches and learns from YouTube videos and wants an interpretation if this particular video.   Does anyone else find this puzzling? 🤔 

This one came up on my YouTube quene.  But agree, I need to walk away from watching this stuff. I do like his baseball analogy ideas. But trying to conceive how i can achieve what he asks baffles me 

9 hours ago, Goober said:

This one came up on my YouTube quene.  But agree, I need to walk away from watching this stuff. I do like his baseball analogy ideas. But trying to conceive how i can achieve what he asks baffles me 

It’s hard to walk away;   Seems like a good thing; you’ll just try this one thing.   Then more show up in the suggested videos and you watch another.   Can’t even watch one 😂

To the OP - welcome - we have lots of divergent opinions on many things golf here - no big deal.  

I'm not a big fan of you tube videos but my current teacher makes them and I watch his because there's a consistency between what he i s teaching me in my video lessons.  He will recommend which of his videos to watch and which drills from those videos will work best for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

19 minutes ago, revkev said:

To the OP - welcome - we have lots of divergent opinions on many things golf here - no big deal.  

I'm not a big fan of you tube videos but my current teacher makes them and I watch his because there's a consistency between what he i s teaching me in my video lessons.  He will recommend which of his videos to watch and which drills from those videos will work best for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Perfect method for YouTube videos as they are chosen/recommended specifically for you and what you need to work on.  

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

It’s hard to walk away;   Seems like a good thing; you’ll just try this one thing.   Then more show up in the suggested videos and you watch another.   Can’t even watch one 😂

I came off very rude with some of my early comments on this forum. Forgive me for that. But have to say I am enjoying watching the many YouTube videos. It’s seems all of these instructors really have some solid agendas. But as you stated, have to find the one who meshes with your swing issues. I still think trackman data and a proper club fitting are priorities with good instructions 

17 minutes ago, Goober said:

I came off very rude with some of my early comments on this forum. Forgive me for that. But have to say I am enjoying watching the many YouTube videos. It’s seems all of these instructors really have some solid agendas. But as you stated, have to find the one who meshes with your swing issues. I still think trackman data and a proper club fitting are priorities with good instructions 

It happens don't worry about it.   We are all just trying to get better at a game that frustrates the heck out of us.       

I agree with you,  supplement my instruction with launch monitor information.   I am still in the fix big issue phase so seeing the data on a launch monitor just confirms some things.  

My takeaway from the first video is to use the lower body to initiate transition not your arms/hands and then use legs / ground to drive through the ball much like other sports activities. 

Without saying it he seemed to be trying to get across that sequencing and timing can get you from different backswing positions to a good impact position.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

16 hours ago, Goober said:

To me, club fitting and swing improvements are a chicken and egg kind of discussion, which one SHOULD come first will depend on where you are with your game and your clubs right now.  As for a launch monitor, I think its great for clubfitting, but for most instruction I'm not sure its that valuable.  For most golfers and most stages of swing improvement, seeing your ball flight will give you all the information you need to understand what your swing path and clubface alignment are at impact.  And of course this is different if you're not able to practice outdoors, you do need some feedback, just beating balls into a net isn't necessarily productive, unless you're simply working on drills and mechanics.

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

My takeaway from the first video is to use the lower body to initiate transition not your arms/hands and then use legs / ground to drive through the ball much like other sports activities. 

Without saying it he seemed to be trying to get across that sequencing and timing can get you from different backswing positions to a good impact position.  

I'm not sure I got far enough along to agree with you, or disagree.  But why the heck didn't he actually say what he means?  I know, the video would have been much much shorter, and maybe a shorter video wouldn't seem to have as much value to his viewers, but there's not much value in the gobbledygook word hash he uses.  Its better to be understood in 100 words than not understood in 1000 words.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

41 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

...As for a launch monitor, I think its great for clubfitting, but for most instruction I'm not sure its that valuable.  For most golfers and most stages of swing improvement, seeing your ball flight will give you all the information you need to understand what your swing path and clubface alignment are at impact...

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

To me, club fitting and swing improvements are a chicken and egg kind of discussion, which one SHOULD come first will depend on where you are with your game and your clubs right now.  As for a launch monitor, I think its great for clubfitting, but for most instruction I'm not sure its that valuable.  For most golfers and most stages of swing improvement, seeing your ball flight will give you all the information you need to understand what your swing path and clubface alignment are at impact.  And of course this is different if you're not able to practice outdoors, you do need some feedback, just beating balls into a net isn't necessarily productive, unless you're simply working on drills and mechanics.

Wishon and some others I’ve seen over the years have touched on this. Combining fitting while taking lessons is actually a good approach vice the chicken and the egg approach.

For the most part yes launch monitors for lessons are unnecessary same as a fitting. However the data is a good reference point at the start for the student to see what’s happening and then a confirmation for what the changes the instructor is having them make and how it correlates to the ball flight. While it may be too much for some golfers and those who like numbers work want it, it’s not inherently bad for lessons. In my experience golfers need to see numbers to trust the fitter or teacher. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I kinda enjoy the short to the point videos on YouTube. Some of the long ones are like watching a mini movie. But I guess they are really trying to drive their teachings home. 

Now I really want to play golf again and try some of this stuff. Stinks my last round was in late July. And with the snow on the ground I won’t play until May again. (Warm Weather Golfer Only here guys). If I’m not wearing a short sleeve golf shirt and shorts. Than I’m not out on the links 

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

As for a launch monitor, I think its great for clubfitting, but for most instruction I'm not sure its that valuable.  For most golfers and most stages of swing improvement, seeing your ball flight will give you all the information you need to understand what your swing path and clubface alignment are at impact.  And of course this is different if you're not able to practice outdoors, you do need some feedback, just beating balls into a net isn't necessarily productive, unless you're simply working on drills and mechanics.

Launch monitors are a tool that can be overused and in general I agree with your statements.   Some people;  myself included, can be argumentative or need to see more details; launch monitors can help show that you aren't doing what you think you are.  The biggest issue with launch monitors is that people chase numbers without real understanding.  An example where launch monitors were extremely beneficial for me was when I was working on my short game.  Via launch monitor data my instructor remotely confirmed that my clubface was closed to the path and it needed to be open to the path.   I was able practice and using a launch monitor to confirm that I was doing what my instructor wanted me to do and I could send data to my instructor for review.  This helped my build the feels that I needed to be more successful with my short game. 

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

An example where launch monitors were extremely beneficial for me was when I was working on my short game.  Via launch monitor data my instructor remotely confirmed that my clubface was closed to the path and it needed to be open to the path.   I was able practice and using a launch monitor to confirm that I was doing what my instructor wanted me to do and I could send data to my instructor for review.  This helped my build the feels that I needed to be more successful with my short game. 

This is an interesting use of a LM that I hadn't considered.  Actually two uses, application to short game, and remote instruction where the teacher can't see the ball flight.  My experience with remote instruction involves swing video, trying to improve mechanics, and using the video to evaluate success in making changes.  Ball flight wasn't an essential factor for the instructor to consider, the ball flight changes were a function of the success in changes to swing mechanics.  I think I mentioned earlier some thoughts about symptoms and root causes, the ball flight was essentially a symptom, the swing mechanics were a cause. 

Was this something that was not really apparent based on the ball flight on the short shots?  Or was it a tool the instructor used to confirm to you what he saw happening in your swing?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is an interesting use of a LM that I hadn't considered.  Actually two uses, application to short game, and remote instruction where the teacher can't see the ball flight.  My experience with remote instruction involves swing video, trying to improve mechanics, and using the video to evaluate success in making changes.  Ball flight wasn't an essential factor for the instructor to consider, the ball flight changes were a function of the success in changes to swing mechanics.  I think I mentioned earlier some thoughts about symptoms and root causes, the ball flight was essentially a symptom, the swing mechanics were a cause. 

Was this something that was not really apparent based on the ball flight on the short shots?  Or was it a tool the instructor used to confirm to you what he saw happening in your swing?

We did lots of things when working on my short game.  There were videos where he could see ball flight and there was LM data were we could evaluate what I was actually doing in the swing.   Symptoms were bad distance control, generally left, fat, and thin.   I'd send him some video hitting 50 yard shots and then launch monitor data hitting distances like 30, 40, 50, 60, 80.    As I got better, direction visually looked okay to me, but the face still wasn't in the right position.   With video,  you generally sent a few shots due to size,  with LM data,  I should send him a hundred shots where I hit random distances.   We never talked about you need to get to this number but talk about tendencies.