TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Wilson Triad Golf Ball !!!

RATOUR7

Agreed; I was chatting with Barba last night as he was heading into NYC to do this deal.  He wouldn't tell me WHAT it was, just that it was something.  I'll give these a spin, for sure.  (pun intended...)

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Based on the marketing,   I am too old to play this ball.    

That said, it does sound intriguing and since I like the AVX it might be a good fit. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched the James Robinson videos on this ball. Absolutely on my must try list

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Just had a dozen delivered. Could have had them Friday but was out all day. Hopefully I will be able to play on Saturday and give them a go. 

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, cnosil said:

That said, it does sound intriguing and since I like the AVX it might be a good fit. 

This marketing campaign makes me want to actively remove W/S from my bag, not add to it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

This is a really nice video about the ball and it's design. Really interesting how they keyed in on offcenter cores, dollars to donuts that's directly influenced by MGS. Properties like this are great and I wish there were more of them, because the whole campaign with Manolo is just so off-putting to me and feels like yet another marketing reach that isn't going to cut it.

So watching this video and reading about the tech in the Triad, isn't this similar to the claims from OnCore as it relates to perimeter weighting a golf ball? I'm not saying the tech is exactly the same, but this is an interesting claim you don't hear much about and could be a good differentiator for Wilson in the sapce and could give better claim to OnCore's tech. The CG story is interesting too, feels like that's in Maxfli's space. If Wilson exists between those two balls, I think they have a winner on their hands here.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

The idea of consistent density in all layers is interesting.  I would be surprised if Wilson is the only one to use that... but there seems to be some valid logic there...  I am looking forward to trying it... and fielding the comments from my playing partners...like I already do when I use my Maxfli Tours... (or anything that isn't a Titleist to be honest :))

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, cnosil said:

I also play the AVX and will try try the Triad.

love playing golf ,live in The villages area,Fl.

I'm sure I can play it... haven't found many mid to top tier that move the needle in any appreciable way.  It's just great seeing Wilson back in the thick of things. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

The ball seems very decent. The marketing is strongly Wilson kind of missing the point again.. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I purchased a dozen Triads about 2 weeks ago and gave it a try heads up with my regular ball the Snell Black

Was looking for a possible replacement in case of the nightmare scenario of Snell being kicked out of their manufacturing plant

Here is how it went for me:

I found the Triad to be very similar to the Snell in Distance , both off the driver, fairway woods, hybrids and the irons.

The feel off the putter was relatively the same but the sound was more muted when struck than the Snell Black

Very similar performance when chipping or hitting bunker shots.

2 big differences in the balls:

1. The Triad spins a lot off of my irons, a whole lot.  I hit a gap wedge that spun back 6ft and I am not a high spin player, the Snell backed up maybe a foot.  ON another shot I had a 9 iron back up 3ft when the Snell just hopped out the divot.   I had to adjust what club I hit into the greens because of the spin on the Triad.  It's not a bad thing, just not use to it.

2.  Would not play these in the wind.  I went out on another day when there was a good 10-15mph wind out.. The Snell IMO is the best ball in the wind and the Triad was falling well short of the Snell.  Especially with irons.  Every shot into the wind was well short of the green with the Triad and on the green with the Snell. Would play Snell or the Z-Star on windy days.

Overall a good ball, was very pleased.

It will not replace my Snell Black but it is a possible replacement in the event of TM going nuclear on Snell.

Driver: Cobra RadSpeed 9.5*

5 wood: PING G425 16.5*

Hybrid: PING G410 22*

Irons: PING G 400 5-UW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54*/ Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter: PXG Closer 34'

Ball: Wilson Triad

I have a dozen arriving tomorrow, and will be putting a sleeve in my bag to test against the OnCore VeroX1 which is my #1 golf ball right now (and has been for about 9 months).

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Was an ok experience for me.  Very straight off the tee, could get them to stop on the green when flushed with my irons, but no wedge spin from inside 100 yards for me.  I typically spin the heck out of the ball and just couldn’t get a grip on these for some reason; might have just been one of those days.

I did have to replace a few during the round that I did happen to catch clean.  If it went in a bunker, the paint was toast on the way out.

Wilson is on to something with this one, just not my cup of tee.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9, Evenflow Black 6.0 75g

Woods: Callaway Rogue 3 and 5 Aldila Synergy

Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 4 Aldila Synergy

5-PW: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal, Nippon Tour 105 Stiff

Cleveland Wedges (mix of CBX2, Zip Core, and RTX depending on the course)

Odessey 2 Ball TEN Stroke Lab Putter

Titleist Pro V1 

I played 14 holes with the Wilson Triad ball yesterday (planned on only playing 9 holes, but the weather was way too nice for February in Eastern PA, despite some light rain earlier in the day, so I played until dark).  For me, this ball plays very much like the OnCore Vero X1 ball that I have been playing for the last 9 months .... pretty straight, decent spin, mid to mid-high trajectory, and semi-soft, but not too soft off the putter face.  I only missed three fairways off the tee, and not by much on any of those three, and for February the distances that I was getting were pretty darned good (230-235 yards with my driver off the tee, 210 with the 4-wood, 148-152 with the 7-iron, and 110 + a hair with PW). For reference, these distances are about 2 to 5 yards longer with the PW and 7-iron, about normal for the 4-wood, and a few yards longer than usual with the driver.  Feel on chips, pitches and partial shots is very good.  The one area of disappointment is durability; by the time that I had completed 7 or 8 holes, the cover was showing some scuff marks (I didn't blade any shots, and no contact was made with trees or cart paths, just two shots out of fairway bunkers and one from a greenside bunker).

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried them too

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Great video @McGolf! The dispersion on the Triad was eye opening. Pretty solid consistency. 

Oh and yeah I've had a few balls make that half rotation into the cup after I thought it was going to stay on the lip, I don't want to get robbed of that 😆

Great job on that Jim, thanks for doing it and sharing.  WE are supposed to be one of Wilsons Triad preferred locations, so I'm looking forward to taking part in the launch of the ball and of course trying it myself.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Solid review @benb1989. Thanks for taking the time to post the writeup along with the pics. Sounds like it's an all-around solid performer.

1 hour ago, benb1989 said:

Despite having purchased the balls over a month ago yesterday was the first round I have played since they were delivered, and I was very impressed. Thought id give sharing my thoughts a go.

Distance

I have been using the tour speeds or Tour B X and have found these to be around the longest balls for me, I was expecting the Wilson to be a bit shorter but there wasn't any difference, I was constantly around the same area distance wise I would expect to be, and on one hole I carried a bunker, just short of the green, which I haven't carried for a long time. Distances with my irons was normal as well. 

Driving

So the distance was good, but I purchased the ball to hit more fairways. Well, I didn't lose a ball, played the whole round with the same ball, which is a miracle. I did go into the trees, but was not as far in as I have been on other days. My drives normally are either straight or left to right, and when they go left to right its enough to put me into the longer rough or trouble. With these balls I found they were not moving anywhere near as much, in fact the only time I got into trouble right was when I aimed to the right of a tree off the tee and was aiming a bit too far right and the ball bounced into the long rough, I didn't slice one drive into trouble

Iron Shots

Nothing out of the ordinary if I am honest. Nothing jumped out at me positive or negative. If anything the ball flight looked better, but the end result was what I would expect. Didn't notice any more or less spin into the greens

Short Game

Felt great off the face and was suited to my short game. From 60 yards in, the 3/4 - 1/2 swing with my 56 is my go to shot and the ball done what I am used to my golf balls doing, bounce and roll up towards the hole. I have never played with a lot of spin with my short and its not something I really look for in a ball. As long as the ball is not like a rock which will bounce and shoot off it will work for me.

Putting

I noticed a big difference here. The ball felt great off the putter and it may have just been a good putting day but it rolled lovely and I holed more puts than I normally expect too. My brother, who I was playing with commented on the roll of the ball compared to his a few times. Only one round but was very impressed.

Durability

The ball held up remarkably well. I used the one ball for the whole round. I hit a tree, a cart path and had a couple of bunker shots and I would still use the ball again. I tend to find the Tour speed scuff, but these Triads seem a lot more durable. 

Im playing again tomorrow, so hopefully much of the same. 

IMG_20220323_192228.jpg

IMG_20220323_192301.jpg

IMG_20220323_192228__01.jpg

IMG_20220323_192255.jpg

IMG_20220323_192152.jpg

IMG_20220323_192158.jpg

Very nice review.   Thansk for posting, has me looking forward to them.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have tried these and they are ok... Nothing super spectacular to me. I like the regular staff ball more. Plus, while I am a fan of manolo. The marketing around this ball is as terrible as the name. 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

38 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I have tried these and they are ok... Nothing super spectacular to me. I like the regular staff ball more. Plus, while I am a fan of manolo. The marketing around this ball is as terrible as the name. 

What did you like/not like about them?  How was the Staff Model better for you?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

4 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

What did you like/not like about them?  How was the Staff Model better for you?

It is just mediocre at everything. Feel is softish which is not my preference. Comparative distance was on the shorter side for me. Spin was ok but seems lower. 

the staff is better at basically everything. I can see some not liking it because it is pretty firm. It is longer, and spins more. 

18 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I was also unimpressed with the sleeve I put in play last week.  The conditions weren't great, but my issues were with wedges.  The cover didn't hold up on wedge shots and the cover had a crease in it after a single shot.  

• 4 months later...

Played the Triad on a whim today, they had some next to the register at check in. I enjoyed to ball a lot. It played to the same distances as I play the MTBX with no issues. Maybe a little straighter flight. I was shocked at how well it held greens for me, lot of drop and stops with my mid irons. The course was very wet today from dew, not soft though. Took 16 holes to dry out. Im not sure that the MTBX would have spun that well, that wet, FOR ME. Not a fan of it being a Wilson, but I bought a dozen anyway. Gotta see how they play when its dry. Played 16 holes with one ball. It saw 5 sand traps. Held up very well.

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

• 9 months later...

Stopped using the ball for a while as local shops did not have any stock, then we came into winter, I just use cheap distance balls in the winter, the greens are so soft so spin into greens is irrelevant for me. The weather has picked up and its a bit drier so I picked up a box of Triads in the week and have put the ball back into to play for the last 2 rounds. 

I was an idiot for not going back to it sooner. 2 rounds, lost 1 ball and that was because I went too long on a dog leg so run out of room and went into the trees. The biggest difference is without a doubt off the tee, its long and from my experience a lot straighter, my putts appear to roll better as well, which was a playing partner commented on.

2 more rounds this week so hopefully more of the same

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1