Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Seven wood anyone?

HAC

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?

Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

See if you can find a G410 7 wood anywhere.  That model is one of the easiest FW to hit ever.  I will have mine in tbr bag for 3 years in April.  Unheard of for any club of mine.  Ha 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, HAC said:

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?

Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

I have a Cobra F7 7 wood. For me it sits quite closed and feel like it will go right on me (I'm a lefty) however it has been a good club for me when I have put it in play. Was easy to hit, rails were good for less then perfect lies and enough adjustability to dial it in with loft sleeve and weight ports front and back. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I had a Heavenwood for quite a long time and it was money for me. Loved the ballflight and soft landings that it had. Recently replaced it with a HyWood to have better performance off the ground. Old club was 21* and the new one is 18*. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I acquired a 7 wood last year as a Fathers Day promotion by Patriot Golf.  All I paid was shipping ($33).  It is great for 165 yards then choked up for 150 yards. This replaces my 5 iron as it gets the ball up and has been very consistent.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I did exactly that. I swapped out a hybrid for a 7 wood. I picked up a new Cobra King F6 on a close out. Plenty of adjustability and its my 185/190 club. Hasn't been out of the bag since I got it. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I have a brand new Ping 425 Max 7-wood sitting in my bag waiting for spring to arrive.  I got a full bag fitting, courtesy of my son, last June and the fitter 
'frankensteined" a 7-wood with a 5-wood shaft that I hit well from all kinds of lies.  Unfortunately, it took until a couple of weeks ago to come in.  It will be my 200'ish club.  Can't wait to get it on the course. 

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

7 Wood?  YES.  My favorite club in the bag.  I am currently a little wood heavy in my bag, but if I had to drop one, it would be the 5w... the 7W is nearly as long, and I can hit a few different shots with it (high and soft into greens from 175, choke down to hit it 165, consistent layup shots on par 5's, etc.).  I consider it my secret weapon.  I find myself wishing Srixon made a 9w.

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

My 3h has been my weakest spot in my bag for two hybrids now, so I've kind of given up on hybrids and went back to a 7w. Actually, I just went to my club fitter and when I showed him my Arccos data the improvement of my 7w was what he first commented on. My Ping G20 3h had an Arccos "Smart Distance" of 209 yds; when my Sim2 Max 7w has a Smart Distance of 222 yds and gaps better with my new-for-2021 4i of 209 yds. 

Edited by Dog Faced Pony Soldier

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

I've been hitting a Ping G 7 wood for several years now and I'll never go back to a hybrid or long iron again.  I also have a Callaway heaven wood, but I adjusted it to play more like a five wood and it's my go-to club from the fairway.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Count me in as a part of the 7 wood crowd - 

It's far easier to hit than a 21 - the only issue is that it is difficult for me to flight down.  I also game a 9 wood BTW but that would be impossible to find left handed.  I think the 7 wood is doable.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yessir, made the switch to a 7 wood this year and I am extremely happy.   For me it was how easy it was to hit as compared to my driving iron.  I could never hit hybrids consistently enough to keep one in my bag and my 7 wood filled the gap in my bag perfectly. 

Keep swinging - JC

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811 XF (9°)

Wood(s): th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0341 XF (7w)

Irons:  :Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW

Wedges:   :Hogan: Equalizer II (56°, 60°)

Putter:  :ping-small: Zing Bronze

Ball:  image.png.5e3f3d4f8b31082a6504dff683a91313.png Tour X

Been Thinking about getting a 7W as have been thinking about. Stuffing my 5 I & replacing w/ 7W. 

Started hitting HRH's 7W last year >Real Good< Somehow a String was attached. Geez; always is HRH's!!

Anyway going to 7W & a 5 HyBird!! Am now dreaming AH-Ching - AH-Ching with my fellow Fossil Friends!!

Love my Mizuno (EZ) 7 wd - a favourite!  It's getting mighty beat up - and am thinking of replacing it (Mizuno).  The new Mizuno woods don't list a 7, but the 5fw is adjustable to 21deg!  I'm going to try it as soon as weather allows.  Also the new Fli-Hi's - supposedly better/more forgiving than the older ones - and four are available!  An older Fli-Hi was my low line-drive on windy days. 

Absolutely in the 7 wood crowd.  So easy to get in the air and control the flight.  Dump the 3 hybrid, you will be glad.

Cobra R9 Driver, Titleist TS 2 5W, Mizuno 7 wood, PXG 3 hyb. Cobra One Length 5-PW, New Level 50 and 56 wedges, SeeMore Putter

I went to the 7 wood years ago as I had a hard time finding/hitting a hybrid I liked. Went for a 3 wood fitting and the guy ended up fitting me for the 7 wood, Titleist 917F2. Love this club for 175-190 yard shots.

Baton Rouge Louisiana

PXG Gen 6 Driver 10.5 Project X Cypher 50 5.5

Callaway Rogue X irons

Donor

Vietnam Veteran 69-70

Sounds like everybody who answered is in a good 7w.  I think some guy on PGA Tour uses one.  Gretsky's drinking pal.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Ironically enough, I just got back from the driving range where I demoed a Calloway Big Bertha 24 degree (5) Hybird; I usually carry a 7 wood.  I was hitting both clubs the same distance and about the same trajectory.  My opinion is to keep what I have when it performs just the same as something else you have to buy. 

Started playing late in life, but as I got older I found that golf is a much better activity than a lot of things old folks get into, plus I meet some of the nicest most interesting people!

Now considering one to replace my old Wilson M3 Hybryd.

If it's good enough for Tommy Fleetwood and other pros then it'll be in my bag.

Do any PGA players use a 7-wood?

Image result for tommy fleetwood 7 wood

Among them are Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, Max Homa, Louis Oosthuizen, Ian Poulter and Tyrrell Hatton. Jason Kokrak also had a 7-wood in the bag when he won the 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge at Colonial Country Club.1 Jun 2021

Srixon ZX7 Driver Hazardous Smoke Stiff Shaft 

Titleist TSR 15* Fairway wood , Diamana Blue Stiff Shaft 

Srixon ZX , 5 Wood , Hazardous Smoke Reg Shaft

Titleist TSR 21* Hybrid Diamana Blue Stiff Shaft

Taylormade P770 5-A Wedge Irons , KBS Tour Stiff Shafts

Cleveland RTX 5 Zipcore  Wedges 54* & 58* DG Spinner Shafts

Tayormade Spider X Blue Putter

Titleist 14 Way Sta Dry Stand / Carry Bag

Srixon Z Star Xv Ball Yellow

Moonwood (LOL), only kinda joking. I don't have one, but I played around with one and kinda liked it. 

WITB; VLS Driver, Srixon ZX 3 wood, Snake Eyes 3, 4 and 5 hybrids, TA Irons, Callaway Jaws High toe 54 and 58, Cobra Agera Armlock Putter. Trust Aurora Golf Balls. 

23 hours ago, HAC said:

So i play both a seven and even a 9 wood on occasion. Depends on the course, conditions, and your playing style. The woods have higher MOI then irons and they land softer. i have found them to be easier, more forgiving, and longer then comparable irons. I know people want workability, but i'm willing to sacrifice that in order to get a better score. 

doug frazier

I picked up a used Ping Rapture 7 wood last year to replace my 21* hybrid that I had a love/hate relationship with.  It goes about 225 for me and I probably hit it better than any other club in my bag.  Never had a 7 wood before but I can't see this one leaving my bag.

Driver: Cobra:cobra-small: LTDx LS 10.5*   Hzrdus Red 60 6.5

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Mini 1.5   Hzrdus Smoke Green 70 6.5

7 Wood: PXG 0211   Matrix Ozik Black Tie 80x

Irons 4-U: :ping-small: I E1  PX 6.5  Maroon Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: Gorge 54* and Tour-S 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft 8  43" Armlock

Hope you guys might help.  I have been looking into getting a 7 wood as well but i haven't had time to get fit or even hit one in a monitor.  As i have never owned one, i don't have a clue on the distance i would hit one.  I have a 100 mph driver swing and i hit my titleist Tsi3 4 hybrid 200 yards.    I am a 5-6 handicap now.

I have a 5 wood i rarely use and don't it much further than my 4 hybrid which has a Tensei White 90gr stiff shaft.  I am just wondering if a 7 wood might fly as far as a 5 but higher. I can't seem to find a 5 wood i like.  Would a 7 wood be redundant with my 4 hybrid?  i know its tough to answer but maybe someone hits the ball the same length as i do that might give me an idea.

Edited by Marnold2000

To merely call Hayden Christensen wooden, is an affront to puppets everywhere…

I wanted to put a 7 wood in the bag to change out with my 3 driving iron. I ended up going with a Apex 3 hybrid, dropped it to 20* and had it shafted with a 5 wood length shaft. I played a round since having it made. The only shot I had with it was piped. Not upset with the choice but I still think about that 7 wood slotting in there. 

A 7 wood?  You bet!  Over the years I've had several but until now none were adjustable.  I now have a Cobra King F8 adjustable 7-8 wood and never looked back.  It's turning out to be that mid range utility club covering 160-180 yards depending on set-up for the course I'm playing.  I dropped a 5H for it.  I've been known to carry a 25 deg 9 wood as well.  I find the shorter woods easier to hit in most places than the hybrids.

GPS111