TESTERS WANTED! ×

Seven wood anyone?

HAC

So, my new 7 wood is an Epic Flash Sub Zero 5 wood I adjusted to 20 degrees- I couldn’t resist as it was on sale on CPO for $120 in average condition- looks great for average. Can’t wait to see what it can do. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

Love my 7 wood. It’s awesome.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 2 months later...

My research so far has been as follows.  So far, XXIO and PXG have come to my club for demo days.  I liked the XXIO seven wood a lot but it went too far.  Does not sound like a problem, but I am looking to fill a gap.  The XXIO 7 wood went as far as my TaylorMade 5 wood.  Just bought the 5 wood last year and like it a lot, so not looking to replace it.  Hit the PXG 7 wood well and the correct distance.  Definitely a contender.  I have plans to go to demo days for Callaway and Ping (also make left-handed 7 woods, TaylorMade and Titleist do not).  I also took a lesson yesterday to work on hitting the hybrid I have better.  So, I am on dual tracks here.  It is a couple of weeks until Callaway comes, so I can use that time, plus more if necessary to see if I will stick with what I have or get a new club.  Anyway, been fun demoing clubs and so why rush.   Thanks for all the help.  Keep the comments coming.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

I play driver, 5 wood and 7 wood.  I just ordered a new Rogue Max 7 with Adila Rogue White 30 MSI 60 Graphite.  I may put a strong 3 wood in the bag and drop one of my 3 wedges depending on course, but this should do for now.  I think.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 9* | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 34" stock shaft

On 5/5/2022 at 7:39 PM, HAC said:

My research so far has been as follows.  So far, XXIO and PXG have come to my club for demo days.  I liked the XXIO seven wood a lot but it went too far.  Does not sound like a problem, but I am looking to fill a gap.  The XXIO 7 wood went as far as my TaylorMade 5 wood.  Just bought the 5 wood last year and like it a lot, so not looking to replace it.  Hit the PXG 7 wood well and the correct distance.  Definitely a contender.  I have plans to go to demo days for Callaway and Ping (also make left-handed 7 woods, TaylorMade and Titleist do not).  I also took a lesson yesterday to work on hitting the hybrid I have better.  So, I am on dual tracks here.  It is a couple of weeks until Callaway comes, so I can use that time, plus more if necessary to see if I will stick with what I have or get a new club.  Anyway, been fun demoing clubs and so why rush.   Thanks for all the help.  Keep the comments coming.

Well, tested a Ping seven wood yesterday.  Liked it also.  So, after I try the Callaways (about a week and a half from now), I will have a tough decision to make.  Liked both PXG and Ping and will have to choose between them (and maybe the Callaway).  What was impressive about the Ping is I feel like I was swinging very poorly yesterday in warming up.  For a couple of reasons, just did not have any legs.  But, I still hit the 7 wood well.  Still, I liked the PXG also.  

•  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

1 hour ago, HAC said:

Well, tested a Ping seven wood yesterday.  Liked it also.  So, after I try the Callaways (about a week and a half from now), I will have a tough decision to make.  Liked both PXG and Ping and will have to choose between them (and maybe the Callaway).  What was impressive about the Ping is I feel like I was swinging very poorly yesterday in warming up.  For a couple of reasons, just did not have any legs.  But, I still hit the 7 wood well.  Still, I liked the PXG also.  

You will have a tough decision.  I like the PXG 7W, but the Callaway is better choice for me.  I was more consistent, in that I never hit a hook (... and I never hook!) like I did occasionally with the PXG.  It may have been the shaft.  The Project X Cypher is a better fit than the MMT that I tried in the PXG.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

You will have a tough decision.  I like the PXG 7W, but the Callaway is better choice for me.  I was more consistent, in that I never hit a hook (... and I never hook!) like I did occasionally with the PXG.  It may have been the shaft.  The Project X Cypher is a better fit than the MMT that I tried in the PXG.

When I was demoing the PXG, I tried a lighter shaft that actually felt better but where I was hooking (and/or pulling) the ball but with the shaft listed I was hitting the ball pretty well.  PXG actually has a store in Northern Virginia that I might go to in order to try everything out if I decide to go that way.  PXG Fitting Locations - Find a Golf Club Fitter Near You | PXG  I would still buy from my club to give the club the business.

• Bridgestone B X.

4 hours ago, HAC said:

I came down the PXG 7w and Ping as well, tested Titleist Tsi2 too and that club and I did not get along.  Distance with the PXG and Ping were about the same as was dispersion of the shots I took.  The PXG just gave me more confidence behind the ball...not sure why that was because the numbers where basically even.   I went on that feeling and never looked back.  Love my PXG 7w.

Both were great clubs for me based on my testing so IMO you cant go wrong with either. 

Keep swinging - JC

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811 XF (9°)

Wood(s): th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0341 XF (7w)

Irons:  :Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW

Wedges:   :Hogan: Equalizer II (56°, 60°)

Putter:  :ping-small: Zing Bronze

Ball:  image.png.5e3f3d4f8b31082a6504dff683a91313.png Tour X

Probably one of two things:  Swingweight not right for the length; or it's the shaft in your 3 hybrid that is causing the inconsistency.  Play around with the swingweight or get the right shaft for you.  

PXG Gen 2  80211X driver w/AXE Mystic 5 shaft S Flex

Taylormade M1 3w w/AXE Superlite FW shaft, S Flex

Sonartec 3 and 4 Hybrids w/AXE Hybrid shafts, S flex

Maltby TS-1's, 5-GW w/AXE Rapid Taper Shafts, S flex soft stepped

Maltby DBM wedges, 60/56 w/AXE Clasic RT Spin Wedge shafts

I swapped my mizuno 4 hybrid for a ping 7 wood. Never looking back

Driver        Ping G430

Fairway      Ping G400

Hybrid       Ping G400    

Irons          Mizuno 921

wedges      Titlest Vokey

Putter         ER8

Got Cleveland 7W [like Head profile] re-shafted with a Senior Flex & so far, so good. For some strange reason find hitting this 7W better than was hitting 5Iron & 3 & 5 Hybirds had in my Bag. But, it is tough being a "Senior" as even now thinking  about putting HRH on Waiver's!! Eventhough she can cook on occasion!!

More golfers should consider getting fitted for a 7 wood.  I play the Titleist TSi2 21° (7 wood), which launches high without missing left (Hook) vs hitting hybrids.

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

On 1/23/2022 at 5:02 PM, HAC said:

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?

Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

I still use an old Cleveland 7 and occasionally a 9

I carry a Ping G400 driver; a G400 17.5 5 wood and the best club in my bag ..... a Ping G400  20.5  7 wood.  You will never get the 7 wood out of my bag.  Just my adjusting my grip, I have found a club that can be used as a 5 wood all the way down to a 4/5 iron.  Get yourself a 7 wood and find out how versatile it is.

NC Golfer

I'll toss in an additional option / idea.

I have gone through a complete swing change that is getting better with my irons but really created problems with my long clubs.  My solution was a 4 hybrid (195-220) and 5 hybrid (185-205) and yes I know those ranges are way too big but I never know who is showing up to the course that day or what kind of swing I will deliver.  This golf game is a real struggle.

Here is the new / additional option . . . these two hybrids were Cobra ONE length - the length of a 7 iron.  WOW!  These are glorious.  My old Titleist hybrids are sold and my 5 wood (went 230-240 when perfectly) and 3 wood (went about the same as the 5 wood) have been left in the garage.  I don't even play with 14 clubs because I would rather hit one of these comfortable 7 iron length hybrids than risk a horrific shot from one of the woods.  The worst that will happen is that the shot is less than great and they are short or I pull it left which in full disclosure is still a possibility . . . but still . . . they are amazing and so much less stressful.

Hopefully my swing will continue to improve and I can put my 3 or 5 wood back in for off the tee or 5 pars but playing from the whites . . . I am doing just fine currently. 

Cobra ONE Length hybrids . . . think about it.

Driver: TaylorMade M1
5W: TaylorMade M4
4h:
:cobra-small: One Length 25*
5-GW:
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, Project X 5.5
Wedges:
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* S, 58* D, True Temper Wedge Flex
Putter:  Evnroll 
 ER5 Black Hatchback
Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x when with others who can spot / Callaway Bold Superhot when alone or T off near driving range (so I can find my ball)

I dropped my hybrids and went with a Callaway Epic Max Heavenwood (20* loft and 43” length). This is the easiest to hit fairway metal that I have played. I can choke down and get a controlled high 170 yards carry shot or use full length and get up to 190 yards carry. Either way, there isn’t much roll out due to the high trajectory. I dropped a 19* hybrid & a 5 metal when I added the Heavenwood. In fact I don’t have a hybrid in my bag. No looking back for me with the versatility of the Heavenwood.

To fill in the gap between my driver and Heavenwood, I just added a Cobra LTDx adjustable loft 3 metal. I bumped the loft from 15* standard loft up to the maximum 16.5*. This gives me a club I can carry 190 yards and get another 15 or so yards run out.

Still looking for first hole in one

Considering the same as I am in between 180-200 yds. Had a Callaway Seven Heaven years ago. Might do it again.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

Good discussion.  I have Taylor Made Sim 5, 7 and 9 woods that I love.  5 wood is my favorite club off the deck.  Typically pair it with 7 wood and leave 9 at home…I use the 9 (and leave 7 home) on a few regular courses with certain length par 3’s if hitting into the wind…it is then the perfect club.  I can typically hit the 7 almost as far as the 5.  I find the 7 useful under three conditions.  1.  If my swing is just not feeling right on some day, I might use the 7 over the 5…more confidence in it.  2.  If I want a slightly higher ball flight and ball coming into green at a steeper angle of descent…so I can hopefully “stick it” on the green better.  3.  And, this is my favorite use, if I am on the first cut of rough off the fairway and the grass is a bit long, I can get the ball flying out of the rough easier with the 7…..it may be a mental confidence thing and not a real 5/7 wood difference from the first cut.  I have all three as I also have yet to find the magic of the so called “easier” hybrids…..but that is a goal of mine this year.  Long story short…I love my 7 wood.

Many courses I haunt have one or more 190 -210 yd. par 3s. My 7-wood, a Cobra, lets me hit a high fade that distance. The hybrids [I've tried a number of them] don't give me the same control of that shot; visually they show a stronger appearing draw bias at address, even the "pro" versions. I will change out the 7 wood with a 21 deg. hybrid for the same distance depending on the course/wind. I hit the hybrid lower with small draw as the 'normal' flight. 

As always, your mileage may vary.

Steve Smith

I have a Ping G425 7 wood. I like it because it complements my hybrids (6 and 4). It has a high trajectory and is great for par threes where you have to carry bunkers etc. I have a slow swing speed (80) so my distances are 6H -- 135, 4H -- 150, and 7W -- 160. 

I went to the RogueST MAX 7 W this year and it it as far as my 4 Hybrid. I like most on here was inconsistent with the hybrid. I hit the 7 about 170 and high with a soft landing. I am looking at my 5 W because I really don’t seem to use it much.

OldGuyGolf

I purchased a Callaway EPIC Heaven wood (7) about two months ago and I can honestly say I've had the best results with a new club I've ever had in my life.  I'm a low ball hitter and a 3 wood or a 5 wood never get up very high for me, hence I had forever given up on dropping anything into a green from a distance and have it stay on.  The 7 wood has been a godsend, hitting greens from 185 to 200 yards like the ball was dropping from the clouds.  Loved it so much a got a 9 wood a month ago.  Same thing, 170-180 yards dropping in from the sky and sticking. No need for Christmas gifts this year, Santa already took care of me.     

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges