TESTERS WANTED! ×

Seven wood anyone?

HAC

Gobucs@att.net 

I have a Callaway Mavrik 7 wood.  Super easy to hit...I use it from 175-185.  Also have a Mavrik 9 wood (even easier to hit) 165-175 and a Mavrik 4 wood 200-210.  I have an 88mph swing speed and use reg shafts 3/4" under

I had a lot of difficulty hitting hybrids consistently.    I usually would over draw them or hit them two low.   I took my hybrids out of my bag and replaced them with Srixon ZX 5 wood and 7 wood.   I am much more consistent in terms of direction and ball flight.    I have not lost any distance and am striking the ball much better!

Titliest TS2 Driver, 3 Wood, 19, 21, 23 Hybrids, Muzuno Irons, Titlest Wedges, Odyssey Lab Stroke Putter

I have an Adams Golf Blue 21 deg #7 Fairway wood and love it.  The perfect 190-200 club for me and the ball comes off the face really clean.  I have a Titleist Tsi 3 wood and Ping Hybrid and between the three I can cover the 190-240 range.

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

I bought, and play an older model Cleveland Launcher 7 wood and it's one of the best things I ever did. Long, and I can draw or fade this club on demand. I highly recommend you give a 7 wood a try.

Anyone have experience with the Cleveland Hy-Wood? There's another thread with people absolutely in love, and it feels like a similar-kind club - easy to hit, fills all kinds of options. I have a 7-wood I recently threw in my bag (got suckered into a 3-5-7 set from a DTC thing - a story for another day), but it is CRAZY easy to hit, and I've used it all over: tee on long par-3s, fairways, rough, even once from an impossible lie behind the green nested in tall grass - just putted it and stuck it to 2 feet. 

Big fan, ultimately, but curious (mostly because I have a sneaking suspicion my DTC/mail-order club isn't really optimized) about other options in the same arena. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

On 1/24/2022 at 11:02 AM, HAC said:

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?

Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

I am playing strong lofted 5 (16.5 - off deck 215-230m), 7(19.5 - off deck 200-215m) and 9 (22.5 - off deck 185 - 200m) wood now and it is so much easier.  I even dropped using my 3 wood as I can not create enough compression and height and distance.

Driver: Titleist 905R, 9.5 degrees with a Graphite Design AD DJ 6 Stiff shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 585.H, 17 degree with a Graphite Design AD DJ 6 Stiff shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 503.H, 19 degrees with a Graphite Design AD DJ 6 Stiff shaft

Irons: Titleist 660 with True Temper Stiff shafts (3 - PW)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 6: 51 degrees 12 bounce, 55 degrees 14 bounce and 60 degrees 10 bounce

Putter: Titleist Monterey 33 inch shaft

On 1/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

See if you can find a G410 7 wood anywhere.  That model is one of the easiest FW to hit ever.  I will have mine in tbr bag for 3 years in April.  Unheard of for any club of mine.  Ha 

Exactly what I have, love my 7 wood, replaced my 3 hybrid with it, it’s now my favorite club in the bag, it can do so many things. 

I love the look of the white heads on the old TaylorMade R11 FWs. Got a 7W on EBay last summer to replace my custom fit 5i and I've never looked back. Right now it is my favorite club in my bag and that's saying something as I ❤️ my wedges.

I'm also a senior golfer who has played for many many years and am now accepting the facts of growing older.

HAC,

I'd probably give up my putter before I'd give up my Callaway "Heaven Wood".  I am sure that my confidence in the club means a lot, but it is easy to hit and even if I miss it a little I can still find it.  I've never used another brand, so can't really compare, but mine with an Adila shaft does the trick on a pretty consistent basis.

Love my Callaway Heaven Wood (7 wood with 3 wood length shaft). Easy to launch higher and long.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash

Callaway Epic GGB Heaven wood

5 Hybid Callaway Rogue 

Callaway Rogue 5 – PW irons

Callaway Super Soft

Been carrying a Ping Tisi Tec 7 for years. 180-190 yards. Have a low iron trajectory so it helps a lot. Should be able to find used pretty cheap. Let my 23 yr old hit my Tisi 5 and he had me find him one hit it better than new stuff.

Driver-Ping G400 9° S shaft

3-wood-Ping G400 SFT 16° S shaft

5-wood-Ping TISI Tec 17° S shaft

5-SW Ping G400 Black R shaft

W2 Ping Nickel ISI 49.5°

Odyssey 2ball LH

I've toyed with a 7 wood numerous times, however I always end up back with a driving iron of some sorts. Off the tee the 7 woods in the past have flown just way too high and I have trouble hitting my windows with it.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I love my 7 wood. I also have a 4 hybrid and a 7 wood that are 10 yards apart. I use the 4 hybrid to keep it low when needed and the 7 wood to go high when needed. I can choke up and take 10 yards off of either club and open the 7 for an even higher shot that also goes 10 yards shorter. Wood is a Callaway Epic and the hybrid is a 2019 Big Bertha. Both are adjustable.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 5/5/2022 at 11:13 PM, zstokes said:

I play driver, 5 wood and 7 wood.  I just ordered a new Rogue Max 7 with Adila Rogue White 30 MSI 60 Graphite.  I may put a strong 3 wood in the bag and drop one of my 3 wedges depending on course, but this should do for now.  I think.

I will be testing Callaway 7 woods a week from Saturday.  You guys have me excited to try these out.

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

1 hour ago, HAC said:

I will be testing Callaway 7 woods a week from Saturday.  You guys have me excited to try these out.

I suspect if you need a club to launch high off the deck, and also tee off with maybe a little more than 4 iron distance, you'll be happy.  At least that's my profile.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 9* | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 34" stock shaft

I say go for it, I put a 7 wood in the bag and it's been the best thing I've ever done. they have a higher flight than a hybrid, more spin than a hybrid which helped hold greens alot better. I say do it. check out the tsi2

Jlo

TXG has a video out about this very topic this morning.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 9* | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 34" stock shaft

• 5 weeks later...

The Cleveland Launcher Halo 7 wood is so easy to launch and if you do hit it a little chunky the glide rails on the bottom are money.  Did I say it was lonnnnnnnnnnng too!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Ended up ordering a PXG 0311 Gen5 7 wood.  Got to demo it at my club and then went to a PXG store that is local (well, about 45 minutes away) to get fit (they are running purchase through my club so I just have to go 5 minutes away to get it).  Should get it soon, I hope.  Thanks everyone for all the help.  This thread has been tremendously helpful to me.  

Next decision.  Whether to replace my 6 iron with a 6 hybrid.  Don't expect to make that decision for a while.  Trying lessons first.

•  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 2:22 AM, ole gray said:

The Cleveland Launcher Halo 7 wood is so easy to launch and if you do hit it a little chunky the glide rails on the bottom are money.  Did I say it was lonnnnnnnnnnng too!

So you go from the 3-hy-wood to the 7?  Is the gapping any issue?  I currently have a 5-wood and 7-wood that I love hitting, but I hate my 3-wood (just for inconsistency-level).  Was thinking about adding the 3 hy-wood and keeping the 7, (so, 18-degree 3, 23-degree 7) and then just keeping my 6-PW (6 is 25 degree loft).  I've been worried about adding the 3 (my 5 is 20 degrees), but realized I don't NEED to keep the 5 in the bag if the gapping works out okay. 

TOO MANY THOUGHTS 😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

13 hours ago, Samsonite said:

So you go from the 3-hy-wood to the 7?  Is the gapping any issue?  I currently have a 5-wood and 7-wood that I love hitting, but I hate my 3-wood (just for inconsistency-level).  Was thinking about adding the 3 hy-wood and keeping the 7, (so, 18-degree 3, 23-degree 7) and then just keeping my 6-PW (6 is 25 degree loft).  I've been worried about adding the 3 (my 5 is 20 degrees), but realized I don't NEED to keep the 5 in the bag if the gapping works out okay. 

TOO MANY THOUGHTS 😉

No problem for me withe the hy-wood & 7 wood combo. I use my hy-wood for longer than 200 yard shots and it produces more of a piercing ball flight and roll. The 7 - wood produces those nice high shots that land like a butter fly with sore feet. I love having both in my bag and also the 7 wood with the rails on the bottom produces shots that go much further than you would imagine on those chunky shots. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Have used a 7 and 9 wood for over 20 years because they don’t run as much as an iron with the same distance in the air. Tried this because Vijay used a specially altered 7 wood back then. Their trajectories are higher than my hybrids with the same face degree.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:43 PM, billybogey said:

Been Thinking about getting a 7W as have been thinking about. Stuffing my 5 I & replacing w/ 7W. 

Started hitting HRH's 7W last year >Real Good< Somehow a String was attached. Geez; always is HRH's!!

Anyway going to 7W & a 5 HyBird!! Am now dreaming AH-Ching - AH-Ching with my fellow Fossil Friends!!

Got a Cleveland 7 W & am playing it real good!! Ditched all Hybirds & went with a "Rescue" Wood & 7W. 

Now if I could get my Driver to go on the Fwy. I definitely would be "Ticking Off" my Playing Partners!!

A few months back I joined the 7 wood club with a ping G400. The good shots had me hooked on the 7 wood performance capabilities. Although the shaft is a tad longer than a hybrid, distance wasn't much different, but the ability to send the ball to the moon and land like a marshmallow with a parachute was pretty awesome. My only complaint was that the Ping G400 sat too closed for me and did have a tendency to go left on the regular and found myself having to manipulate the shot too often. I then swapped the G400 for a cobra F8 5-6 wood and have the loft cranked to 21° and this thing has been everything I could hope for. Hits moon missiles with ease and sits square even with the loft maxed. It's a perfect par 5 2nd hitter and even off the tee when trying to navigate a minefield par 4. 

IMO the 7 or high lofted woods are worth every penny and deserve a spot in the bag. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Recently purchased a 5W 7W combo, PXG 0211 with Project X Evenflo CB regular shafts.  Trying to get the feel of 5hem….and they ar3 feeling very nice.

5CA46246-D2C6-431C-A70A-3F3F74D93BB8.jpeg

4F04A7BA-0BA7-460B-BC70-D64A1AF85922.jpeg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Yes 7 wood for sure! I got a TM last year at my buddy’s member guest event. I took the 4 iron out of the bag. I can really move it either off the tee or from the fairway. I have a M2 5 wood and hardly hit it. I think a nine wood might be next. I never liked the looks of a hybrid. 

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

I then swapped the G400 for a cobra F8 5-6 wood and have the loft cranked to 21° and this thing has been everything I could hope for.

That exactly what I did just last week, only have 1/2 round on it. But that club went from an afterthought to a “what have I got here?” club. I kinda bought it on accident on eBay when I put a $50 bid on it so I could follow, but nobody ever bid again, so I got it. It’s beat up, but functions perfectly. Now it’s my 175-180 moonshot. 

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Take a look at the Callaway Apex UW, it's something of a cross between a fairway wood and a hybrid.  I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, but it could become a go to club for me.

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

On 1/23/2022 at 3:02 PM, HAC said:

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?

Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

It could be the shaft in your 21* hybrid just needs to be spine and FLO aligned. I did this work for a playing partner and his hrbrid went from couldn't hit it to now being one of his favorite clubs. And it's a LOT less expansive to have the shaft aligned then it is to buy a new club that may or mayNOT work any better than what you have. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

8 hours ago, IONEPUTT said:

It could be the shaft in your 21* hybrid just needs to be spine and FLO aligned. I did this work for a playing partner and his hrbrid went from couldn't hit it to now being one of his favorite clubs. And it's a LOT less expansive to have the shaft aligned then it is to buy a new club that may or mayNOT work any better than what you have. 

What does spine and FLO aligned mean?  Thanks.

• Bridgestone B X.