Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Seven wood anyone?

HAC

I have had trouble for years hitting my hybrids so two years ago I did a full bag fitting and ended up with Callaway Epic 5w and 9w. I love them. I will be a "snow bird" this year so considering replicating my bag so I'm not traveling with it between Florida and New York.  Will strongly consider a 7w over the 9w in the second bag so my gapping is better (have a 6 iron which I hit about what the 9w does).

Titliest D2 Driver

Ping 16 and 19 degree hybrids

Callaway X-16 irons 3-PW (soon to be replaced)

Love my 7-wood. TS2 with a Diamana BF 70. I hit my 4 hybrid pretty flat, but the 7 launches like a 7 iron. I go 13.5, 16.5, 21 (turned to 20). Works for me.

TSR2  9* Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

TRS2 15* Ventus Velocore Red 7S

TS 21* Diamana BF 80S

TSI 23* Ventus HB 8S

Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 PX 6.0

Vokey SM6 Raw 48F/SM8 50F/56M/60M

SC X Fantom 5

Vessel Player 14 2.0

On 1/23/2022 at 3:02 PM, HAC said:

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?

Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

I've been playing an older Cleveland Launcher 7-wood for years and would never, ever let that club out of my bag. I suggest you latch onto a new 7-wood the first chance you get. The ball flight will be high, long, and land softly. You may get differing opinions but I strongly suggest you give it a try.

Posted just now

I've been playing an older Cleveland Launcher 7-wood for years and would never, ever let that club out of my bag. I suggest you latch onto a new 7-wood the first chance you get. The ball flight will be high, long, and land softly. You may get differing opinions but I strongly suggest you give it a try.

I think you are on to something.  I feel exactly the same way about my 23 degree hybrid and am also planning to demo a 7 wood as part of replacing my 2016 Calaway fairway woods this year..

15 minutes ago, GilB said:

Posted just now

After getting a lot of feedback here and demoing some 7 woods, I got a PXG 7 wood last summer and love it.  Hit it so much better than I did the 21 degree hybrid.  Makes me wonder if I should next replace my 6 iron with a hybrid or something like the Cleveland Halo or TaylorMade Stealth HD.  Always something to consider in my bag.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

I built a 7 wood a couple of years ago and all it did was go high. Last year I noticed my hybrids were not getting up. So I tried the 7 again. Magically it was great. I'm even trying a 9 wood this year. By the way I'm 79 and fighting club head speed loss.

Have had an Epic heavenwood for several years. Easy to hit, particularly off downhill lies. I also have a 5 wood shaft in the club. 

Note: in the GBB Epic line, the 7 wood is not adjustable whereas the heavenwood is. 

Edited by Beakbryce

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Realize this topic is well commented, so the OP might have all the info he needs, but I recently made the switch from a 3 hybrid to a 7W.  I did hit the 3H generally well, but I struggled with holding greens from about 200-210 out.  The ball flight was lower and very penetrating, and thus bounced and rolled a lot when landing.  Not great for holding a green if hitting an approach shot.  I demoed a Titleist TSR 7W and, once we got the shaft tuned in, I starting hitting beautiful, high shots that still flew a similar distance to the 3H, but landed much better.  Has a great feel to it, too.  So unless I find myself playing in really windy conditions where a lower ball flight is necessary to avoid ballooning, I doubt that 7 will leave the bag.  Good luck!

Mizuno ST200G driver, Diamana White stiff

Mizuno ST200 Tour Spoon 3 wood, Diamana White stiff

Titleist TSR 7 wood, stiff

Mizuno MP223 irons, 4-GW, Nippon Modus X-stiff

Edison Forged wedges, 55 and 59 degree, KBS Tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

On 1/24/2022 at 4:36 PM, Marnold2000 said:

Hope you guys might help.  I have been looking into getting a 7 wood as well but i haven't had time to get fit or even hit one in a monitor.  As i have never owned one, i don't have a clue on the distance i would hit one.  I have a 100 mph driver swing and i hit my titleist Tsi3 4 hybrid 200 yards.    I am a 5-6 handicap now.

I have a 5 wood i rarely use and don't it much further than my 4 hybrid which has a Tensei White 90gr stiff shaft.  I am just wondering if a 7 wood might fly as far as a 5 but higher. I can't seem to find a 5 wood i like.  Would a 7 wood be redundant with my 4 hybrid?  i know its tough to answer but maybe someone hits the ball the same length as i do that might give me an idea.

I have similar numbers (maybe a few mph slower driver at gamer speed, 6.5 index) and have been unhappy with my 5 wood last season.  It’s still the off season here but I go to the simulators regularly.  A couple months ago I spent a few sessions with a stealth 7 wood (PX red 6.0 shaft).  I compared to my 3 hy (g425, 19*) and 4 hy (cobra f9, 22*) and found that the 7 wood was easier to hit than my 5 wood, but more redundant to the 3 hy in terms of total distance (~215) but carried a little more and rolled out a little less.  I loved the high ball flight but I was hitting more pull draws/hooks than I liked so am sticking with the 3 hy and working on a new (to me) 5 wood and improving my fairway swing.  More specifically to your question - I think there’s a reasonable chance a 7 wood might be a good alternative to your 5 wood.  But as with anything in golf the ability to demo is key.  Good luck!

I had a 21 degree pxg that I was having trouble hitting. It was my 190-200 yard club. Went to a tm stealth 7wood as I already have the five and three woods. 
7 was really nice off the short grass and great in the rough. Off the tee it’s just flat out scary. 210+. 
65 and a swing speed of 95 with the driver. Never thought I would use a seven but glad I did. 

Witb= Rogue max LS driver

3wood 5 wood and 7 wood all first gen stealth. 
22 degree pxg hybrid 25 degree pxg hybrid  

6-pw Srixon zx5 mkII irons  traded in pxg 0211 from 4 years ago  

50-54-58 edel wedges with moveable weights  

labgolf putter with upgraded shaft  

thats 15 clubs  needless to say not all come to the course with me  

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?
Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

I have a 5 and 7 wood , both Ping. Older models. Not sure the number right off hand, but I hit them both pretty well. Since I don’t hit my long irons well, they work good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Bonilla

Just bought 910H 27° off eBay.  It's in mint condition, but it has got a Diamana Bassara 60 shaft in it.  A bit to flexible and flighty even for me.  I have also picked up a 2nd hand Diamana Kai'li 80 shaft that is just a half inch longer, which shouldn't affect things too much as long as I get the swing weight about right.

I haven't seen a 7 wood since the days of the Callaway Warbirds, (the Heaven Wood).  I would have thought the equivalent hybrid would have given the same, maybe better?

1 hour ago, KBO said:

Been playing 4 wood 16.5*  7 wood 21* for a couple of years now and absolutely love this set up

That’s the exact setup that is in my bag. Sometimes, I adjust the 7-wood one degree strong (to 20*) to give me a little more of a yardage gap if I have a 22* hybrid in my bag.

When I am walking and carrying my bag, I usually drop a couple of clubs to lighten the load. In those instances, I drop the 4-wood and just carry the 20* strong 7-wood or an 18-19* 5-wood. I also leave out my 5-iron and usually my 49* wedge, bagging just my 53* and 59* Edison wedges.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I bag a 7 wood as my primary long fairway metal almost all of the time.  If you like fairway woods, have any of you tried a 9 or even an 11 metal.  I think of a 9 as a money club much of the time.  There is getting to be a real battle in my bag between the 9 and 11 metal vs my 4 & 5 hybrids  

My 7 wood is the only club I haven't switched out of my bag in the last few years.  I've played with an Adams Blue 7 wood for many years now and it's the perfect 190-200 club for me.  Hits straighter than my 5 iron.  We have a 200 yard Par 3 on our local course and this is the perfect club to land it on the green and stay there!

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

I used to carry a 1,3 and 5 wood combo. I know, old school.  I picked up a Cobra Ltdx 7 wood and i love it. Long par 3's, long par 4's, and laying up on par 5's. I hit it straight and high about 190 carry. Ive pretty much eliminated the right side of the fairway with this club. I'm  going to adjust my 3 or 5 to a 4 wood loft and carry a 1, 4, 7 wood combo. 

What's in the bag.

•  Driver: Titleist TSi3 10° Mitsubishi Tensei AV SFW 55g S Flex.
  • 3W and 5W: Callaway GBB 15° and 18° Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 50g R Flex.
  • 7W: Cobra LTDx 22.5° HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g S Flex.
  • Irons: Titleist 718 CB 3-PW. 2° flat. True Temper AMT Tour White S300.
  • Wedges: Mizuno S23 2° flat. 52° and 58°. Dynamic Gold stiff.
  • Putter: Mizuno M Craft II. Cut to 33" with 13g heel and toe weights.
  • Ball: Titleist AVX.

I picked up a new PXG 0211 7 wood for $140 over the winter. Still on sale on site I believe.  Haven't had chance to hit it up here in cold weather but have dabbled in the 7 wood vs. hybrid experiment in the past.  Also a lefty so they can be hard to find in many OEM line ups. Ping & Callaway has always been kind to Lefties. I do like the Taylormade HL fairway woods though they do not come in lefty 7 wood. Buy it in a heart beat if they did. I do have Stealth HL 3wd which can be a rocket   but is presently getting a time out.  I have in the past switched between the 18* Cleveland "Hy-wood" & a Ping 7 wood. I think the 7 wood has been overall kinder to me for when you are supposed to use it but I like chipping with the hybrid more.  Probably testimony to my lack of short game.  I presently go 9* driver, 13+ 3 wood, 19* 5 wood & 21 degree 7 wood. I use the 3+ off some par 4's & when my driver is not listening to me. That line up I suspect will present some yardage gapping issues but we shall see when global warming comes to Wisconsin. I hate all the head covers in the bag but I guess you can tell a guys age by the # of head covers he carries... 

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

That’s the exact setup that is in my bag. Sometimes, I adjust the 7-wood one degree strong (to 20*) to give me a little more of a yardage gap if I have a 22* hybrid in my bag.

When I am walking and carrying my bag, I usually drop a couple of clubs to lighten the load. In those instances, I drop the 4-wood and just carry the 20* strong 7-wood or an 18-19* 5-wood. I also leave out my 5-iron and usually my 49* wedge, bagging just my 53* and 59* Edison wedges.

We have very similar bags , I recently pulled my 4 iron for a 4hb (21*) dailed down to 23* with the shorter shaft it fits the gap perfect. Also switched to the Mizuno 225's great clubs

TS 3 driver

TS2 3w

Mizzi mix

7 thru gap forged and 4,5,6 HMP

T20 wedges

Toulan Las Vegas putter

image1.jpeg.2d3d769347847586014282c210d5f275.jpeg

I had a 2nd shot of 175 yards to pin.  Water front, right and back of green with traps along left, oh ya it’s a very narrow green.  Hit the 7 wood right at pin hit front of green and rolled to within 8’…….missed the birdie putt😱

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

29 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I had a 2nd shot of 175 yards to pin.  Water front, right and back of green with traps along left, oh ya it’s a very narrow green.  Hit the 7 wood right at pin hit front of green and rolled to within 8’…….missed the birdie putt😱

Yeah, but that's what brings us back, that little bastard wouldn't fall. 😀 

Edited by MacTourney

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

2 hours ago, climberboy2000 said:

My 7 wood is the only club I haven't switched out of my bag in the last few years.  I've played with an Adams Blue 7 wood for many years now and it's the perfect 190-200 club for me.  Hits straighter than my 5 iron.  We have a 200 yard Par 3 on our local course and this is the perfect club to land it on the green and stay there!

I had been playing a first generation Callaway Epic 7-wood for at least 5-6 years, and even after the carbon crown cracked and split on it, I repaired it with dark gray high-impact epoxy. I bought a Sub 70 7-wood about 18 months ago, and although it was “OK”, it definitely couldn’t knock the old Epic 7-wood out of my bag. 

Another 7-wood experiment that I tried was a ladies Epic Speed 7-wood head that I shafted with a Ventus Red TR 70-Series shaft. It is better than the Sub 70 club, but there’s something about it that I don’t like. 

Finally, I think that I have found the replacement for my old Epic 7-wood! It’s actually a 20* Callaway Rogue ST “Heaven Wood” that I cut down by 1” and added a bit of lead tape low and back on the sole. It easily gives me 200-205 yards from decent fairway lies (my matching Rogue ST 4-wood gives me 220-225 yards on good strikes), and the trajectory is similar to what I have become familiar with using the Epic 7-wood.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, MacTourney said:

Yeah, but that's what brings us back, that little bastard wouldn't fall. 😀 

Yup!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I use a 7 wood. It goes a little farther than my similar lofted hybrid - probably due to longer shaft. I have played a 7 for many years and LOVE it. My only suggestion is to get one that is adjustable. There are not too many new ones that are adjustable, but you may find that you want to dial in your yardage to fit in between your other clubs. I have an old Cobra that I like and use. I also have a newer Cobra with the rails - I personally do not like the rails, so I stick with my old one.  I highly recommend that you give a 7 a try!

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

I love my cobra 7 wood.  Goes high and drops on a dime.  My swing speed can be times with a sand clock and I hit it about 140.  I carry no irons under a 7 iron and find the 7 wood easy it to hit.

6 hours ago, ElmMan said:

I use a 7 wood. It goes a little farther than my similar lofted hybrid - probably due to longer shaft. I have played a 7 for many years and LOVE it. My only suggestion is to get one that is adjustable. There are not too many new ones that are adjustable, but you may find that you want to dial in your yardage to fit in between your other clubs. I have an old Cobra that I like and use. I also have a newer Cobra with the rails - I personally do not like the rails, so I stick with my old one.  I highly recommend that you give a 7 a try!

Same here. My 7-woods all hit the ball farther than even the 19* hybrids that I own (about 12-15 yards more carry with the average 7-wood shot vs the average carry for the 19* hybrids).

The only hybrid that I have ever owned that would give me more distance than a 7-wood (and most 5-woods) was a 17* Tour Edge Exotics C721 hybrid that I reshafted with a Fujikura Ventus Blue 8-S shaft. That club was consistently good for 225 yards, but it has gotten to the point where that 87 gram S-flex hybrid shaft is too stout for me.

Edited by funkyjudge

Spoiler

My Cleveland Launcher 7 wood is my go-to fairway wood when I want to launch a long shot to the green. Along with its partner, my 9 wood, they are my favorite clubs for I can consistently nail a good shot from the fairway or low rough.

I presently have a Cobra Air X 11.5 offset driver, Cleveland Launcher 22* & 25* woods, Adams Super Idea 5h, Callaway Rogue ST4 4h, TaylorMade Stealth Irons, and a Scotty Cameron Putter.

*double post error

Edited by KOG

Driver Exotics EXS Pro with with Ventus Red TR stiff

3 Wood :Exotics CBX 15* w Fujikura Motore F1 70 Stiff

7 Wood: Great Big Bertha B23 w Adila RIP Gamma 60 stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w Prolaunch Axis red stiff

Utility Iron: Honma TR21x 5 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: Sizemore SB2

Sun Mountain C130 Bag