Seven wood anyone?

HAC

Now considering one to replace my old Wilson M3 Hybryd.

If it's good enough for Tommy Fleetwood and other pros then it'll be in my bag.

Do any PGA players use a 7-wood?

Image result for tommy fleetwood 7 wood

Among them are Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, Max Homa, Louis Oosthuizen, Ian Poulter and Tyrrell Hatton. Jason Kokrak also had a 7-wood in the bag when he won the 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge at Colonial Country Club.1 Jun 2021
  • Like 1

Taylormade 11* Sldr 460 , TP  67 X Stiff Shaft 

Ping G5 15* Fairway wood , Alilida Stiff Shaft 

Taylormade Superfast Burner 18* Rescue , Stiff Shaft

Wilson Staff M3 21* Hybrid , Stiff Shaft 

Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour 5-A Wedge Irons , KBS Tour Stiff Shaft

Taylormade ATV 56* Sandwedge 

Wilson Staff FG Tour 60* Lob Wedge 

Tayormade Rossa Inza Putter

Titleist 14 Way Stand / Carry Bag

Srixon Z Star Xv Ball

23 hours ago, HAC said:

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?

Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

So i play both a seven and even a 9 wood on occasion. Depends on the course, conditions, and your playing style. The woods have higher MOI then irons and they land softer. i have found them to be easier, more forgiving, and longer then comparable irons. I know people want workability, but i'm willing to sacrifice that in order to get a better score. 

doug frazier

I picked up a used Ping Rapture 7 wood last year to replace my 21* hybrid that I had a love/hate relationship with.  It goes about 225 for me and I probably hit it better than any other club in my bag.  Never had a 7 wood before but I can't see this one leaving my bag.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 5  Motore F3 7x

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Mini 1.5  Matrix Ozik Black Tie 80x

7 Wood: :ping-small: Rapture 20*  Fujikura Fuel X-stiff

Irons 4-U: :ping-small: I E1  PX 6.5  Maroon Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: Gorge 54* and Tour-S 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft 8  43" Armlock

Hope you guys might help.  I have been looking into getting a 7 wood as well but i haven't had time to get fit or even hit one in a monitor.  As i have never owned one, i don't have a clue on the distance i would hit one.  I have a 100 mph driver swing and i hit my titleist Tsi3 4 hybrid 200 yards.    I am a 5-6 handicap now.

I have a 5 wood i rarely use and don't it much further than my 4 hybrid which has a Tensei White 90gr stiff shaft.  I am just wondering if a 7 wood might fly as far as a 5 but higher. I can't seem to find a 5 wood i like.  Would a 7 wood be redundant with my 4 hybrid?  i know its tough to answer but maybe someone hits the ball the same length as i do that might give me an idea.

Edited by Marnold2000

To merely call Hayden Christensen wooden, is an affront to puppets everywhere…

I wanted to put a 7 wood in the bag to change out with my 3 driving iron. I ended up going with a Apex 3 hybrid, dropped it to 20* and had it shafted with a 5 wood length shaft. I played a round since having it made. The only shot I had with it was piped. Not upset with the choice but I still think about that 7 wood slotting in there. 

A 7 wood?  You bet!  Over the years I've had several but until now none were adjustable.  I now have a Cobra King F8 adjustable 7-8 wood and never looked back.  It's turning out to be that mid range utility club covering 160-180 yards depending on set-up for the course I'm playing.  I dropped a 5H for it.  I've been known to carry a 25 deg 9 wood as well.  I find the shorter woods easier to hit in most places than the hybrids.

GPS111

I have a 3, 5, 7(21°) wood and then a 23° hybrid.  I use the Hybrid mostly from the rough but I find the 7wood easier to hit and longer

:titelist-small: TS2 Driver 50g Regular Shaft

:wilson_staff_small: D7 3 Wood 15°,  D7 5 Wood 18°, D7 7 Wood 21°

:titelist-small: TS2 23 degrees hybrid

:titelist-small: T400 6, 7 Iron, :titelist-small: T300 8 - P, 48°

:wilson_staff_small: Wedges 55°, 60° 

:wilson_staff_small: "The L" Infinite Putter

:titelist-small: Players 4+ StaDry Carry Bag

:titelist-small: ProV1 / :bridgestone-small: BRX/S Golf Balls

M4 7HL. Without a doubt my favorite club. High, soft launch. Goes for miles. Also my favorite get out of jail club. Can hit low hooks or cuts really easily if I’m in the trees. 

I’ve played a 7 wood for several years.  I tried different ones with (TM, PING, CALLY) different shafts and lengths.  I find them much easier than hybrids or  long irons, but I’m a sweeper and woods work better for me.  You might lose a few years, but no big loss, only a few.  Highly recommend 7 wood. Heck buy a used one and give it a test run, you’ll like it. 

Ping g400 max driver

Cally 7 and 5 wood 

ping g400 irons

cleveland wedge

I carry both.  See my signature.

TXG Custom Cobra F9 9.5*,  Accra 140 M2 

TXG Custom Cobra F9 14.5* , Accra 140 M2 

TXG Custom Cobra King Ltd. Black 5-wood. 17.5*, Accra 140 M2 

TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 7-wood 21*, Accra 140 M2 

TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R

TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-PW, +1/2", 1* upright, UST Recoil  F3 soft stepped once 

TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/07, 56/10, 60/07, Nippon 950H Neo

TXG Custom PXG Bandon 34.5"

I'm Carrying 3,5 and 9 woods Ping 425s. The 9 wood replaces my 4 and 5 irons. Having some back issues Iwas trying to swing a bit easier and my long irons would only get 10 feet off the ground and then run for ever. Adding a 9wood helped me get the ball up in the air much easier and now that I'm able to swing harder I still love it. For me woods fly higher than hybrids and give me a better chance to hold a green from long distance. I still need to practice more to cover that 5 iron distance (195) but a full swing gets me 215 - 222 and fits in well with my 3 and 5 wood. 

I rediscovered the awesomeness of 7 woods this past season after being very frustrated with my 3 hybrid - hookapotomous. I dug up my old Callaway Steelhead 7 (with a steel shaft) and hit it so much better than the hybrids I’ve owned. Great for approaches from over 200 or when I need to hit a high ball over a tree. 

The only thing now is I’m considering updating to a newer model. I play the 410 3 wood in the flat setting, so I would love to get a Ping 410 or the Callaway Epic Flash.

Or I could stick with my “retro” steel shafted Steelhead… decisions, decisions. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping 425 Max; Rogue White 70

3 Wood: Ping 410; Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

7 Wood: Callaway Steelhead

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Titleist 53 degree, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Odyssey 10 Tour Lined; Seemore Z2

I switched from a 22 degree hybrid to a 7 wood last year.  I had one years ago and loved it.  I love the club.  Hit it higher than the hybrid, just as long or longer and could, generally, draw it less than the hybrid.  Works great out of the rough and really solid on long par 3's (I hit it about 200 yards - 60 year old 9 handicap) and it lands softly.  Great for laying up on par 5's as well. 

I live in NC, golf as often as possible, play the Amateur Players Tour when I can 

I plan on adding a 7 wood this spring like I use to have at one time.  I have Ping G410 woods and would like to match them but have not been able to find a new G410.  I should have ordered a 7 wood a couple of years ago.  May start trying out diff manufactures. 

Edited by CrazyGolfNut

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM9 52F & 56S wedges | Bettinardi BB45 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Titleist Pro V1 yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 12

:ping-small:  :titelist-small: :vokey-small:   :bettinardi-small:   :Snell:   :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

Absolutely - give it a go!

I was struggling with a players distance iron (the Ping i500) and too heavy/ stiff of a shaft, so was not getting enough height. I have never got on with hybrids, so that was a non-starter. So I switched to a set of Mizuno MP-18 MMC's and put the Neo Green shaft in stiff in them. Much better performance for all my irons (distance and height), but still struggled to get what I needed from my 4-iron - even in the Fli-Hi version. So, my fitter suggested a 7-wood, but of course, could not find one when I started looking last summer. I just kept browsing eBay and the stores (preferred TaylorMade to match my 3- and 5- woods) and luckily found one on Callaway's preowned site. It is a Sim-2 Max 7-wood with the blue Ventus in stiff. It has indeed become a money club in the few rounds I played before the season ended here in Ohio.

If I read what's in your bag correctly, you have Taylormade woods, so I would try to stay within the 'family'. I would bet you have immediate confidence with it and never go back.

Good luck!

In our Men’s Group the 7 wood has been the most popular addition to people’s golf bag over the last two years.  I added a never used older model Tour Edge XCG7 21 degree 7 wood to my bag a little over a year ago and it is by far the easiest fairway wood to hit off of the deck that I’ve ever had and decent off the tee as well.

According to Arccos with 285 rounds captured now and 20,800 shots the Smart Distance of my 7 wood is 209 yards and the Smart Range is 199-211 yards.

I also added a Taylormade SIM TI 19 deg. 5 wood that is lofted down to 17.5 deg.   Arccos Smart Distance is 224 yards and Smart Range is 214-226.  The 5 wood is definitely better off the tee than the fairway.

My confidence in the 7 wood taking on a long carry is much higher than using the 5 wood.  The 5 wood trajectory is much lower.  I would say I hit the 7 wood well about 8 out of 10 times and the 5 wood maybe 5 out of 10.

The higher lofted fairway woods have really helped my long game.  Better trajectory, more carry distance and similar total distance to the clubs they replaced. 

I also have a Tour Edge EXS 21 degree 4 utility Iron.  Great off the tee, but nothing but low bullets from the fairway.  A wonderful club if you have to hit a low runner under trees or into wind. But fairly one dimensional.

Edited by Hoyoymac
Misspellings

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Taylormade SIM Ti - 19 lofted down to 17

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Tour Edge C721 - 25

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades

Corey Paul Functional Art 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX