Seven wood anyone?

I dropped my hybrids and went with a Callaway Epic Max Heavenwood (20* loft and 43” length). This is the easiest to hit fairway metal that I have played. I can choke down and get a controlled high 170 yards carry shot or use full length and get up to 190 yards carry. Either way, there isn’t much roll out due to the high trajectory. I dropped a 19* hybrid & a 5 metal when I added the Heavenwood. In fact I don’t have a hybrid in my bag. No looking back for me with the versatility of the Heavenwood.

To fill in the gap between my driver and Heavenwood, I just added a Cobra LTDx adjustable loft 3 metal. I bumped the loft from 15* standard loft up to the maximum 16.5*. This gives me a club I can carry 190 yards and get another 15 or so yards run out.

Still looking for first hole in one

Considering the same as I am in between 180-200 yds. Had a Callaway Seven Heaven years ago. Might do it again.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter/1996 Original Odyssey (not Callaway) Dual Force Rossie Blade

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

Good discussion.  I have Taylor Made Sim 5, 7 and 9 woods that I love.  5 wood is my favorite club off the deck.  Typically pair it with 7 wood and leave 9 at home…I use the 9 (and leave 7 home) on a few regular courses with certain length par 3’s if hitting into the wind…it is then the perfect club.  I can typically hit the 7 almost as far as the 5.  I find the 7 useful under three conditions.  1.  If my swing is just not feeling right on some day, I might use the 7 over the 5…more confidence in it.  2.  If I want a slightly higher ball flight and ball coming into green at a steeper angle of descent…so I can hopefully “stick it” on the green better.  3.  And, this is my favorite use, if I am on the first cut of rough off the fairway and the grass is a bit long, I can get the ball flying out of the rough easier with the 7…..it may be a mental confidence thing and not a real 5/7 wood difference from the first cut.  I have all three as I also have yet to find the magic of the so called “easier” hybrids…..but that is a goal of mine this year.  Long story short…I love my 7 wood.

Many courses I haunt have one or more 190 -210 yd. par 3s. My 7-wood, a Cobra, lets me hit a high fade that distance. The hybrids [I've tried a number of them] don't give me the same control of that shot; visually they show a stronger appearing draw bias at address, even the "pro" versions. I will change out the 7 wood with a 21 deg. hybrid for the same distance depending on the course/wind. I hit the hybrid lower with small draw as the 'normal' flight. 

As always, your mileage may vary.

Steve Smith

I have a Ping G425 7 wood. I like it because it complements my hybrids (6 and 4). It has a high trajectory and is great for par threes where you have to carry bunkers etc. I have a slow swing speed (80) so my distances are 6H -- 135, 4H -- 150, and 7W -- 160. 

I went to the RogueST MAX 7 W this year and it it as far as my 4 Hybrid. I like most on here was inconsistent with the hybrid. I hit the 7 about 170 and high with a soft landing. I am looking at my 5 W because I really don’t seem to use it much.

OldGuyGolf

I purchased a Callaway EPIC Heaven wood (7) about two months ago and I can honestly say I've had the best results with a new club I've ever had in my life.  I'm a low ball hitter and a 3 wood or a 5 wood never get up very high for me, hence I had forever given up on dropping anything into a green from a distance and have it stay on.  The 7 wood has been a godsend, hitting greens from 185 to 200 yards like the ball was dropping from the clouds.  Loved it so much a got a 9 wood a month ago.  Same thing, 170-180 yards dropping in from the sky and sticking. No need for Christmas gifts this year, Santa already took care of me.     

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

Gobucs@att.net 

I have a Callaway Mavrik 7 wood.  Super easy to hit...I use it from 175-185.  Also have a Mavrik 9 wood (even easier to hit) 165-175 and a Mavrik 4 wood 200-210.  I have an 88mph swing speed and use reg shafts 3/4" under

I had a lot of difficulty hitting hybrids consistently.    I usually would over draw them or hit them two low.   I took my hybrids out of my bag and replaced them with Srixon ZX 5 wood and 7 wood.   I am much more consistent in terms of direction and ball flight.    I have not lost any distance and am striking the ball much better!

Titliest TS2 Driver, 3 Wood, 19, 21, 23 Hybrids, Muzuno Irons, Titlest Wedges, Odyssey Lab Stroke Putter

I have an Adams Golf Blue 21 deg #7 Fairway wood and love it.  The perfect 190-200 club for me and the ball comes off the face really clean.  I have a Titleist Tsi 3 wood and Ping Hybrid and between the three I can cover the 190-240 range.

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

I bought, and play an older model Cleveland Launcher 7 wood and it's one of the best things I ever did. Long, and I can draw or fade this club on demand. I highly recommend you give a 7 wood a try.

• Like 1

Anyone have experience with the Cleveland Hy-Wood? There's another thread with people absolutely in love, and it feels like a similar-kind club - easy to hit, fills all kinds of options. I have a 7-wood I recently threw in my bag (got suckered into a 3-5-7 set from a DTC thing - a story for another day), but it is CRAZY easy to hit, and I've used it all over: tee on long par-3s, fairways, rough, even once from an impossible lie behind the green nested in tall grass - just putted it and stuck it to 2 feet. 

Big fan, ultimately, but curious (mostly because I have a sneaking suspicion my DTC/mail-order club isn't really optimized) about other options in the same arena. 

Driver - :cobra-small: King Speedzone, 9 degrees, HZRDS Smoke 65g (two grams lead tape in heel)
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

On 1/24/2022 at 11:02 AM, HAC said:

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?

Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

I am playing strong lofted 5 (16.5 - off deck 215-230m), 7(19.5 - off deck 200-215m) and 9 (22.5 - off deck 185 - 200m) wood now and it is so much easier.  I even dropped using my 3 wood as I can not create enough compression and height and distance.

Driver: Titleist 905R, 9.5 degrees with a Graphite Design AD DJ 6 Stiff shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 585.H, 17 degree with a Graphite Design AD DJ 6 Stiff shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 503.H, 19 degrees with a Graphite Design AD DJ 6 Stiff shaft

Irons: Titleist 660 with True Temper Stiff shafts (3 - PW)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 6: 51 degrees 12 bounce, 55 degrees 14 bounce and 60 degrees 10 bounce

Putter: Titleist Monterey 33 inch shaft

On 1/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

See if you can find a G410 7 wood anywhere.  That model is one of the easiest FW to hit ever.  I will have mine in tbr bag for 3 years in April.  Unheard of for any club of mine.  Ha 

Exactly what I have, love my 7 wood, replaced my 3 hybrid with it, it’s now my favorite club in the bag, it can do so many things. 

• Like 1

I love the look of the white heads on the old TaylorMade R11 FWs. Got a 7W on EBay last summer to replace my custom fit 5i and I've never looked back. Right now it is my favorite club in my bag and that's saying something as I ❤️ my wedges.

I'm also a senior golfer who has played for many many years and am now accepting the facts of growing older.

• Like 2

HAC,

I'd probably give up my putter before I'd give up my Callaway "Heaven Wood".  I am sure that my confidence in the club means a lot, but it is easy to hit and even if I miss it a little I can still find it.  I've never used another brand, so can't really compare, but mine with an Adila shaft does the trick on a pretty consistent basis.

• Like 2

Love my Callaway Heaven Wood (7 wood with 3 wood length shaft). Easy to launch higher and long.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash

3 Wood Callaway XR16

5 Wood Callaway XR16

Callaway Epic GGB Heaven wood

4 Hybid Callaway XR16

Callaway Rogue 5 – PW irons

Cleveland Soft