Seven wood anyone?

3 hours ago, KevB_44 said:

Thanks---I just picked up a HeavenWood which I saw available locally.  It may be a better fit for me vs a 7W considering what I would like to accomplish with it.  I will give it a try soon.  thanks again

I now understand....   wow the heavenwood is just a treat.   I can't compare to a 7W because I never had one in my hands, but the heavenwood is just a pleasure to swing--smooth and workable.   I was able to do a lot with it --high and long and effortless.  I know this was at the range and it may not be so easy "when it counts", but I can see a lot of places and cases where this can be "the answer" off the tee on some holes or a long shot from the fairway.  

• Like 1
  • Driver-Callaway Rogue Max ST 9.5
  • Fairway - Callaway Epic Max 3W
  • Fairway - Callaway Epic Max Heavenwood 
  • Irons-Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW, 3 Driving Iron
  • Wedges- Cleveland RTX 54, 58
  • Putter- Evnroll ER5v Short Slant

• 3 weeks later...

I just went to Roger Dunn to swing some 7 woods, but they didn’t have many available for hitting. But they had a Halo, and that was such an easy club to hit, but it just went a little too far for what I was looking for. I think an epic max 7 wood will be the deal. They did have a “heavenwood “ and that was longer like the Halo. There was a nice ping 425 9 wood, but that was just a little short…

• Like 2

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 5-AW

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (second best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Updated my bag with PXG 0211 5 & 7 woods, dropped my 3 W and 9 W.  Am very happy with results as I only used my 3W a couple times per round. The PXG’s  are awesome.

• Like 2

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft & 0811 XF w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Titleist T300 48* GW w/Fubuki MV Senior shaft and SCOR 4161 54*/57* wedges V sole & Genius 10 shafts…Cleveland RTX Zipcore (54*/58*) w/DG Spinner wedge shafts on back burner for now.

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

So something I am noticing, it is hard to come back for stock 80g class shafts for 7 woods. You can direct order from callaway for one but PXG you cant unless you pay an upcharge.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer lite

My Reviews:

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I'm considering replacing my #4 Hybrid with a 7 wood. I had a Warbird Heavenwood and Divine Nine back in the 90's and loved them. Why I traded them is beyond me!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

Titleist Scotty Cameron '21 Phantom X 11.5 Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

I have been carrying a Titleist 7 wood, 915, after getting fitted by Titleist during a 3 wood fitting. I had not found a Hybird that I could hit until the 7 wood. Still in my bag today, not leaving anytime soon.

• Hmmm 1

Baton Rouge Louisiana

Callaway Rogue X irons

Donor

On 1/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Sounds like everybody who answered is in a good 7w.  I think some guy on PGA Tour uses one.  Gretsky's drinking pal.

He also has a 9-wood 😲

Wondering that too. I have a gap from 4 wood to my 4 hybrid, but i hit my old school callaway xr16 4 wood so well....

Callaway Epic Max driver

Callaway Big Bertha 3 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 4-6 hybrids

Callaway Mavrik Max 7-AW irons

Callaway MD 5 sand and lob wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab Doublewide putter

On 1/23/2022 at 5:02 PM, HAC said:

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?

Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

I have a LH Tour Edge 7 wood that I picked up USED few years ago.  Great club!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr   
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 1/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, HAC said:

Right now, I play a 5 wood and two hybrids.  I really like my 25 degree hybrid but am inconsistent with my 21 degree hybrid.  I am thinking of demoing a 7 wood this year to replace the 21 degree hybrid.  Has anyone done this and do they go about the same distance?

Note, my biggest issue in this is not too many companies make 7 woods in left-handed clubs.  So, we will see if this works out.  I usually end up with some shop credit over the course of the year as a result of senior events at my club, so the cost likely won't be too much if I do this later in the year.  Last year, I think I got about $200 or so for the cost of $35 joining the senior group - we have over 80 members of the senior group, but in a given week, generally only about 30 members play.  So, the guys who play these events regularly tend to come out ahead (the events are based on net scores and mostly as part of a team).

Callaway makes a Rogue 7 wood for left handed golfers.  I bought mine for a shot over water from a downhill lie from a 3 hybrid distance.  I can fly the 7 wood almost as far as I hit the 3 hybrid including a lot of roll.  Love it!

:callaway-small: Epic Driver

:callaway-small: Rogue 5 wood

:callaway-small: Rogue 7 wood

:mizuno-small: Irons Hot Metal Pro 4 - G

:titleist-small: Wedges 52 and 56

:ping-small: Putter Fetch

I went to my local club fitter and he replaced by my hybrids (3,4) with a 7 wood. I couldn't be happier!!! Not only was able to gain an extra wedge but absolutely love having a consistent 190yd club.

I've played 4 and 5 hybrids in the past, but misses were hooks and pulls.  After a year of better ball striking, I put a 4 utility build and 5 iron back into play.  I don't play the 7 wood from the rough, but love it from tight lies or off the tee.  Distances are 210-220.  No more hook misses and pulls are less than hybrids.

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag or MacKenzie golf baggolf bag:

:titelist-small: TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus VR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 stiff52.12F and 58.10S Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff 

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

On 1/23/2022 at 5:02 PM, HAC said:

Check out the Sims 7 wood I believe there is a left handed model

I use an 18⁰ Titleist TSi. Sort of 7 woodish. Hit it straight and high. Have hit it 240 yds., but usually in the 225 yd. range. My hybrid is a 22⁰ Taylormade SLDR. I hit it lower and usually with a slight draw. Hit it in the 185-200 yd. range. I'm a 9 handicap, 74 years old. Play Callaway Apex DCB irons, ping G400 driver, Cleveland Razor wedges. The TSi is my go to club. Love it.

The good and bad with my Srixon ZX 7 wood is that I can hit a boomerang hook with it when I need to... and I can hit a boomerang hook with it when I'm not trying to.  Haha. 

But it completely change my confidence in the middle of my bag.  A 7 wood is definitely worth a look if you aren't in sync with a hybrid, or want towering height for steep angles into tight greens.   

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Otto Phlex PLB 45 "L"
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • TaylorMade Stealth 5-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour / Titleist AVX

Hi All,

I have been using a Tour Edge 7W for the last two seasons.  I picked it up for two reason:

1.  Lack of elevation and distance with a 4 hybrid.

2.  A multitude of fairway bunkers on my home course.

What really closed the deal for me was a shot from a steep fairway bunker that landed on the green from around 160 yards out.  Quite a surprisinf result.

• Like 1

Reached out to sub70 about a potential build for me. Wont be buying until closer to the start of next season but want to be certain on what i am getting. The one thing that worries me is that is may be too spiny. I liked the PXG ones with the 3 adjustable weights (and the proto which had a forward weight) but they do not have any 80g shaft options that are not $200+.

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

My Reviews:

Talked with Jason today. When the time comes to order I’ll roll with the 7w in the Adila NV 85x shaft tipped an extra 1/4” to prevent hooks. Also came to the conclusion that I am hooking my hybrid because it is a soft stepped XS shaft. This makes me wonder if the tip stiffness of my irons is causing me the hooks in the longer clubs. May need a fitting check once my off-season of gym work and speed gains are done. 

• Like 1

My Reviews:

On 9/1/2022 at 6:32 PM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Reached out to sub70 about a potential build for me. Wont be buying until closer to the start of next season but want to be certain on what i am getting. The one thing that worries me is that is may be too spiny. I liked the PXG ones with the 3 adjustable weights (and the proto which had a forward weight) but they do not have any 80g shaft options that are not $200+.

If you're open to other brands, you might want to check with Tour Edge.  The E722 7wood is available with a number of no-charge shaft options, including the Tensei Blue 75 (77g stiff flex or 78g X flex).  They're currently $249 less 15% with promo code 2022CDGA15.  Srixon has some no-cost premium shaft options on the ZX 7wood, but they're currently out of stock on heads and couldn't say when or if they'd get more.  Ping just lowered the price of the G425 fairways to $249 as well, and they had a decent selection of shaft upgrades available.   

Edit:  just saw your most recent post.  Sounds like Sub70 has what you need.  

Edited by Hacker Rod
  • Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 8.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Yellow XS

TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver/2W 12.5*, Elements Chrome XS

Callaway Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila Rogue 95 MSI XS

Maltby KE4 Tour TC Hybrid 20*, KBS Tour Steel XS

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 5-SW, Project X LZ Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM7 60*/D

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback