Scratch male vs LPGA

• Riverboat changed the title to Scratch male vs LPGA

Nah it probably won’t shut men up about it, sadly. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:wilson_staff_small: D200 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

10 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

The best thing about the women's tournament this weekend? The celebs, including a bunch of scratch and near scratch male players, some former athletes like Derek Lowe and John Smoltz, played the same tees as the lpga pros. Lowe (.2 handicap) won among them, and finished 23 strokes BEHIND Danielle Kang. He would have finished 25th in a field of 29 lpga pros. Not one of the males managed even one round in the 60s. Kang had all 4. Maybe this will shut up guys who don't think lpga players are really that good. 

There's no doubt that the women really are good, but remember that this field included only players who have won a a tournament in the last two years.  This was definitely NOT an average LPGA field.  

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

There's no doubt that the women really are good, but remember that this field included only players who have won a a tournament in the last two years.  This was definitely NOT an average LPGA field.  

Right... so the average scratch golfer wouldn't even get close to a Top 25 finish and most likely wouldn't make the cut on any given week in the LPGA . They might not be dead last but they definitely wouldn't compete.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

12 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

And these weren't average scratch male golfers. Professional athletes used to performing under intense pressure would fare way better than the typical scratch guy, I'd wager. If I had a dime for every low handicap Joe who had told me he'd destroy the lpga players from "those short tees they play"... If this doesn't tell them they are idiots, I don't know what will. 

Even lpga tour winners have off weeks, and I'm sure the bottom 3 or 4 did just that, and Lowe barely beat them. If it's a full field, lots of lesser players have good weeks, and they beat him too. So in a full field, he maybe finishes what, 80th. Or most likely missed the cut along with the few he beat here. Sorry, there's no way to spin this for the grunting men who somehow feel it makes them more masculine to believe they could beat the best girls at this game.

And to clarify, nobody is saying the lpga would beat the pga from the pga tees. The very best men are stronger and would win easily. But it's time for the good local players to shut their mouths with their uninformed beliefs about the relative talents of the lpga.

• Like 6

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

10 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I don't get the argument in the first place. I'm assuming you read whatever Golf.com or Golf Digest (can't remember which) posted regarding the topic. Guys arguing they could score just as well if they could play from the forward tees... SMH. Thing is, LPGA players play from tees that are roughly the same distance if not longer to that of the average male golfer. The women are GOOD and it's just as simple as that. Anyone saying different isn't paying attention, and clearly has never been to an LPGA tournament (which are plenty accessible compared to PGA tourney's BTW).

Zactly!

• Like 1

😧 Wilson Triton

I think it’s great that the LPGA is getting both more respect as well as bigger prize purses.  They are truly impressive and entertaining to watch. I think elite amateurs playing along side them at last weekends tournament highlights how really good they are. 

• Like 3
  • :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :cobra-small: F-max 5 wood
  • :cobra-small: F9 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX2 Wedges 52/58
  • :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 4 chipper
  • :taylormade-small: Ardmore 2 putter
  • :titleist-small: ProV1 balls
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes

We have had LPGA players as members of our club from time to time including one who won multiple majors.  They have little trouble breaking par from 7,200 yards at sea level.  They are very good and if you gave them enough chances a woman would eventually make the cut in a PGA tour event - she wouldn't contend but she could make the cut.  That is saying a lot.

• Like 6

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

I always feel like the people that think a scratch golfer can win in the LPGA are the same people that think the best college football team can beat the worst NFL team.  The gulf between the two levels is much, much larger than you can really understand until you actually see it.  It was great to see the side by side comparison this weekend that will be a great reference to use in the the future whenever somebody runs their mouth.

• Like 3

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red  

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour (shares duty with 3I depending on the day)

:Sub70: 699pro - 3I Driving Iron KBS Tour (shares duty with the 2 hybrid depending on the day)

:Sub70: 699pro - 4I, 5I - 639CB 6/PW -- True Temper Elevate Elevate Tour

:taylormade-small: RSI2 -- 4/PW- Nippon Modus 115 (Testing)

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour 

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour 

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV Divide

Asking neanderthals to change their minds based on evidence is an exercise in futility.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 of the following:

Ping G425 Max

Callaway Epic Max 5 wood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

PXG 0311P Gen. 3  6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

14 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

I always feel like the people that think a scratch golfer can win in the LPGA are the same people that think the best college football team can beat the worst NFL team.  The gulf between the two levels is much, much larger than you can really understand until you actually see it.  It was great to see the side by side comparison this weekend that will be a great reference to use in the the future whenever somebody runs their mouth.

I totally agree with you Syks7.  This article from this weekend is a good summary.

https://golf.com/news/scratch-golfer-lpga-pros-handicap/

Scratch players regardless of their long driving skills just don't have same skills that the top 50 LPGA pros have on any given week.  If you go out and play a round at an LPGA Pro AM, you can see their golf games are just off the charts. It actually looks almost effortless, very different from PGA pros.  They also putt really well compared to most scratch players.

LPGA pros may not have the driving distances of a retired pro baseball players, but they still hit it pretty far and hit a lot of fairways in reg.  They also hit some fantastic long iron / hybrid shots.

• Like 3

:titelist-small:  TSi 3   9.0  AV Raw White 65 Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi3  15.0 AV Raw White 75 Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3 21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff 

:titelist-small:  4 iron 716 AP2 - DG 300 AMT Reg

Haywood  5-PW iron Signature - DG S300 Stiff

:taylormade-small:  52 - 09 Tour Preferred EF  - KBS Tour Wedge 

Haywood   56 - 12 KBS Tour Wedge

:taylormade-small:  60 - 10 Tour Preferred - KBS Tour Wedge 

:titelist-small:  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2

:srixon-small: Z-Star 

image.png.1cf0013c54bf0f68066ba2034c7799d0.png 

:Arccos: Official MGS Tester 2021

8 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

LPGA pros may not have the driving distances of a retired pro baseball players, but they still hit it pretty far and hit a lot of fairways in reg.  They also hit some fantastic long iron / hybrid shots.

I was having a really good time watching the driveable par 4 on Saturday when it was cold.  The ladies were hitting driver and either getting close or landing in the bunker on line with the flag.  The ams were hitting hybrids and woods cleanly but not nearly as on target as the ladies.

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour (shares duty with 3I depending on the day)

:Sub70: 699pro - 3I Driving Iron KBS Tour (shares duty with the 2 hybrid depending on the day)

I generally prefer to watch the LPGA, it is usually much more exciting. In the mens game a player shots a 10 under in the first round and is 4-5 strokes in front and unless they stuff up everyone then is trying to catch them. In the womens most of the time there are 3-4 players within a few strokes and the lead changes constantly. 

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Pretty sure that, if tasked with establishing a handicap from standard mens tees (which they already play, or even a pinch back), they'd end up with like +2 to +4 hcp, and the top like Nelly Korda, Danielle Kang, etc, more like +5.  

But then they also have tour experience which can't be measured with a handicap.  They'd smoke scratch players easily. 

So yea, put them up against a 0 or your local pro.  🤣

• Like 1

:ping-small:        G400 Max, PX Evenflow Blue 6.0s, until the adapter comes loose again in 5 swings. 😥

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg PXV R. Aldila RIP 70 R; King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:wilson_staff_small: C300 cast irons 5-PW. Fujikura graphite R 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

28 minutes ago, Firebird said:

I generally prefer to watch the LPGA, it is usually much more exciting. 

Me too.  I also very much enjoy that I can understand the shot they're playing.  The men hit the ball so far that sometimes I can't really conceive the angles they're playing.  With the LPGA I can actually see a shot that I might be able to play -- or at the very least attempt.

This discussion is always stupid. Just needs to be simplified by removing gender I guess... 

A +4 is going to beat a scratch player 90+% of the time or more. Especially a +4 based on tournament rounds vs a scratch with a lot of casual play and the odd gimme. 

• Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H and sometimes 5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

17 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

This discussion is always stupid. Just needs to be simplified by removing gender I guess... 

A +4 is going to beat a scratch player 90+% of the time or more. Especially a +4 based on tournament rounds vs a scratch with a lot of casual play and the odd gimme. 

It would be great if gender could be removed, but the guys we are talking about are always looking to somehow explain away the FACT that these women are better than they are. LPGA handicaps are not common knowledge, so their scores have to be because they play easier and shorter courses, and if these guys could just get the women on an equal paying field, they'd prove it. 

Mardy Fish is a +2.4. This means he would average about a 67 on my home course. He played the same tees as Danielle Kang this weekend and she beat him by about 30 strokes, and every woman in the field beat him. Argument over. 

• Like 4

😧 Wilson Triton

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bomber said:

Would love to see a combined tour event - reckon it's only a few years before it happens. LPGA players have been killing it the past 3-5 years.

They have had combined events on the European tour.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG