1099s and selling your unwanted golf equipment

So am looking at selling two putters which could cross the threshold of $600 but damned if I can produce evidence of what I paid. Wonder how that will work.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:bettinardi-small: Ben Hogan BHB5/:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

2 minutes ago, Titleist87 said:

So am looking at selling two putters which could cross the threshold of $600 but damned if I can produce evidence of what I paid. Wonder how that will work.

You'll get a 1099 for that and any other items you sell.    

So it will add to your income for the year, whether document any losses expenses etc will be up to you and your accountant, if you feel it's worth it.    If you only sell one club for $700 you'll get the 1099, but I doubt seriously it will affect your taxes greatly. 

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You know I have been watching this closely 😜

Fortunately getting notified of this early in the year will allow me to track my expenditures and sales, to see where I come out.   I did get a 1099 from paypal for 2021, let's just say I'm glad it's not in effect here until 2022.   Someone scared me and to me it was for 2021, but I confirmed with my tax preparer that i'm good for 2021 tax year.  But to keep track in 2022.

Probably 75% of my sales are on another forum, where I have a well established reputation, and usually sell to the same.  So I wouldn't be surprised as @RickyBobby_PR said, if I decide to limit my sales to those that have outstanding feedback and reputation, and go the friends and family route.  I would never consider that on Ebay.

Also I trade a fair amount in at our course, so that isnt' tracked, even thought I get less in value than selling. 

I don't go through too much equipment but to avoid the hassle I will be limiting my sales to local pickup only and strictly cash, no paypal, no venmo, etc....  

• Like 3

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

39 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I don't go through too much equipment but to avoid the hassle I will be limiting my sales to local pickup only and strictly cash, no paypal, no venmo, etc....  

I will build in a local no 1099 discount for an clubs I offer to sell to you 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Titleist87 said:

That is one of the things I am not sure about.   If you bought through paypal you can show what you paid.   If you bought new, you can probably indicate retail value as what you paid.   Going to be interesting how this all works out.   

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, Titleist87 said:

I will provide you with a bill of sale for any amount you would like. Maybe you can declare a loss and claim some depreciation.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour

7 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Dawg, you're a great member here.  Please don't steer near the political line, that's your 2nd post that has done so.  Even disclaiming them doesn't work 🙂

👍

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour

Much ado about nothing. An extra $600 a year on one’s income isn’t going to send them into another tax bracket. I sold $600 already this year on eBay and I have another shaft to go. It’s not going to stop me from selling and recouping money because even with the IRS tax I’m better off that trading on a new club. 

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

15 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I will build in a local no 1099 discount for an clubs I offer to sell to you 🙂

What my mind focuses on when i read that sentence and I get all twitchy!!!   😱

What i seriously wonder about is the decision to use $600 as a threshold.  How efficient can it be to have the IRS keeping track of such a low $ amount of millions of transactions for how much payback?  I'd think it would be more bang for the buck to set the threshold higher, like $5k, and make it a yearly amount rather than by transaction.

• Haha 1

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

What i seriously wonder about is the decision to use $600 as a threshold.  How efficient can it be to have the IRS keeping track of such a low $ amount of millions of transactions for how much payback?  I'd think it would be more bang for the buck to set the threshold higher, like $5k, and make it a yearly amount rather than by transaction.

It is a yearly amount.  $600 per year.  600 $1 transactions though PayPal will result in your receiving a 1099.   This is also the amount of income from a contract type job that would generate a 1099 for you.   My wife gets 1099s from her side jobs when she makes $600 from a particular company.  The IRS isn’t tracking the transactions, PayPal just reports that you had $600 in transactions this year just like you employer reports your income.  In prior years Many states had different thresholds; mine was 200 transactions or $20k. 

• Like 3

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

The $600 mark has been in place in many states for several years, this was for any income transaction via PayPal. Some had 200 transactions or $20k. It’s just now being standardized across the board for all states and it’s for any transaction that is income based. 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

If I understand it correctly, which is a big if.  I think it's exactly like CNosil says.  Say you are a  ful ltime contractor and happen to get a different gig each week from a different client.  And say each one pays you  $600,  that is a small amount to them.   But you will have earned over $30,000 that year, definitely enough to be considered taxable income.  

Now would it make sense, to require contrators or individuals to say any 1099 income under $5,000 in a single year doesn't have to be recorded on your taxes or can be entered on a line on the form that doesn't add to taxable income.   Yeah, that would be nice 🙂

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

It is a yearly amount.  $600 per year.  600 $1 transactions though PayPal will result in your receiving a 1099.   This is also the amount of income from a contract type job that would generate a 1099 for you.   My wife gets 1099s from her side jobs when she makes $600 from a particular company.  The IRS isn’t tracking the transactions, PayPal just reports that you had $600 in transactions this year just like you employer reports your income.  In prior years Many states had different thresholds; mine was 200 transactions or $20k. 

• Like 1

A little more detail on this. Not trying to go down the government talk route just providing another report on the reasoning. So don’t reply or @ me with politics.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-13/uncle-sam-wants-a-piece-of-your-side-hustle-in-irs-crackdown

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

If I understand it correctly, which is a big if.  I think it's exactly like CNosil says.  Say you are a  ful ltime contractor and happen to get a different gig each week from a different client.  And say each one pays you  $600,  that is a small amount to them.   But you will have earned over $30,000 that year, definitely enough to be considered taxable income.  

Now would it make sense, to require contrators or individuals to say any 1099 income under $5,000 in a single year doesn't have to be recorded on your taxes or can be entered on a line on the form that doesn't add to taxable income.   Yeah, that would be nice 🙂

In two weeks I will be back as an independent contractor (woo hoo!!!)  and will make sure to bill those one time customers $599.49 whenever possible !!  🤣  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

In two weeks I will be back as an independent contractor (woo hoo!!!)  and will make sure to bill those one time customers $599.49 whenever possible !!  🤣  

But if you do 2 of them you have reached the yearly threshold 

• Like 1

Black-market street sales.  Meet me at the so and so parking lot and bring cold, hard cash 👍.  Personally I get the massive losses in tax revenue over the past decade plus with the HUGE growth in e-commerce sales (think eBay store front businesses, etc.), but $600 threshold is, IMO, ridiculous.  I mean why $600 and not $1?  Add to that the issue with repeated forms of taxation a single item gets and you have the grounds for a great discussion.... on some other forum.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

So ultimately, just start a DBA, pretty easy in most states, and run your 1099 through your "business". This also allows you to deduct business expenses from those proceeds.

• Like 1

Found out some great news from my Tax Guy. If the income on the 1099 is a result of a hobby then it’s not taxable.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Found out some great news from my Tax Guy. If the income on the 1099 is a result of a hobby then it’s not taxable.  

Now the big question,  can I say that going to work is my hobby and any money I receive from that is not taxable  🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

That sounds great - but maybe get additional verification?

H&R Block says that hobby income must be reported as "other income" and since 2018 tax law, there is no place to deduct the hobby expenses.

Just a caution to verify.

• Like 2