TESTERS WANTED! ×

Range-to-Rounds ratio?

Do you put much thought into how much time you practice (range or just net in the yard) vs. playing a round?

Backstory: 2 kids with a net and 30-ish yard chipping area in the back yard that I use frequently. But with the cold weather (and especially kids) playing 18 is really tough. We have a 9-hole muni down the street that I think could be solid for practice this time of year. I'm a little worried about paralysis by analysis and developing a bad habit with the net that I don't notice right away. 

So, is there an optimal ratio for actually getting out and hitting shots on the course vs. practice? TIA.

Never paid attention to it and for me it was practice when free after work or on weekends where due to non commitments or personal commitments I couldn’t play.

Played as many holes as possible after work periodically to practice certain shots on the course or testing clubs or balls and play on weekends when possible.

Dropped from a mid hdcp to single digit that way including some lessons.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Everyone is different, however I noticed my scoring got significantly better when I spent less time at the range, and more time on the course. I prefer to walk nine holes on a par three course than bash balls at the range, and it usually works out to the same price as a large bucket and just a little bit more of a time investment.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I practice as much as I can, I'm grinding hard.  That said I'm in the same boat as you one kid, busy work schedule, and other responsibilities.  I generally can't spend more than an 2-3 hours at the range per week (some weeks much less) and play 18.  So, I've really been learning to practice with purpose for the last 6 months or so to get the most out of  the hours that I do get.

I spend a majority of my time at the range doing a lot of drills rather than just bashing away trying to groove my swing.    I'm working on teaching myself very specific 'feels'(for me that means overexaggerated portions of where I want to be at certain points in a swing) to build muscle memory and as of late I rarely hit more than a small bucket.  Of that I might hit 10 balls at full speed.  It seems to keep me from ingraining bad habits swinging full while also teaching my muscle memory the good parts that I'm aiming for.  I also spend a lot of time on short game pitching, chipping, and putting using a shag sleeve of 21 balls.  Same deal.  A lot of very specific drills focusing on feel.  When the grind and drills get to be too boring I'll switch it up and play practice rounds on a par 3 course or 9 hole exec.  It helps me work on my scoring clubs in real situations.  

I've dropped from someone struggling to hit 17 index scores to an average of 13 with the occasional 10-11 index round and it feels like I'm gaining speed.  The point of all of this is that it isn't the quantity of practice, its the quality of it.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

Typically I'm about 1:1 with range sessions to rounds. I play once on the weekend and do some range practice after work on one night. Though when I'm off work I play more rounds and my game gets better. It's hard to tell whether it's volume of golf making the difference or on-course play.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that hitting into a net doesn't really give you much feedback on your ball flight without a launch monitor. You can hit what feel like incredibly struck shots, when in reality they were delofted hooks.

Depending on the age and interest of your kids, you could include them in your play. I'm sure there are heaps of stories on here of how we got into golf. Mine was going with Dad to the local course and playing as many holes as we could in the last hour of sunlight.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

Probably 8:1 range over course.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I get to play twice a week with one of the days being a 27-36 hole round depending on time. Get to the range 3 days a week,b it only do full swings one day. I spend a majority of the time chipping and putting. My favorite is when the couple is not busy and I can practice around the green on course. There is no way at the practice area to replicate some of the situations you get into when playing.

During the season, I play almost every day. My practice is on the chipping and putting for 10-15 minutes a couple times per week. My typical warmup before a round is five or six chips and the same number of putts. Loosens me up and gets the green speed. If going on the road to play one of the tough Clublink courses, I double the warmup shots and May hit a few drives on the range to loosen up.

It’s I have aged, I would rather play than hit range balls. My older range rat friends get hurt far too often from hitting so many balls. 

Play everything from the hickory era to modern equipment.

I rather play than hit the range. Maybe three to four times a year I hit a bucket of balls. Typically it is because I'm trying out a new club. Typical golf day is get to the course, hit three drives on the range and if they are good right to the tee. My course is consistent on green speed so know the speed on chips and putts. 

A different course requires some chipping and putting before I head to the tee to get a feel for the greens.

I'm not a fan of hitting the range. Best practice is playing.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

10 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

One more comment... if you are going to spend time on the range, you need to do exactly the opposite of what most people do... they hit a few shots with each club, then hit 87 drivers. At least 1/2 of range time should be dialing in partial wedge distances. Then, when you are done, however much time you spent on the range should be spent chipping and putting. 

Yes, chipping and putting.   

There is a practice green I go to a lot and I spread 6 balls around it and have to get up and down with all 6 or I have to start over.   Spend a lot of time doing this.   Adds a little tension too, which is good.

I use to have practice to play ratio of 0.  I never practiced.   Then I got a SkyTrak and changed that ratio to 2:1  averaging about 10 hours of practice and 1.5 rounds a week during the pandemic.    I dropped my handicap 4 and was down by up to 7 for a while.   I do spend about 1/2 of my practice chipping, pitching and partial wedges.   I find practicing with a launch monitor way more effective than hitting into a net or even a range session with range balls. 

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro
18 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Everyone is different, however I noticed my scoring got significantly better when I spent less time at the range, and more time on the course. I prefer to walk nine holes on a par three course than bash balls at the range, and it usually works out to the same price as a large bucket and just a little bit more of a time investment.

Same here.  Other than using a chipping and putting green, I prefer to play a couple of the par 3/exec courses in the area for tuning up.  I'd say my ratio is 20:1 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

During reasonable temperatures for playing I probably average a 5 / 1 ratio of 'range' sessions / rounds played just because of time constraints.  The actual time spent on practice vs playing is much closer because my practice sessions are only about 1/2 hour at most.  

My range breakdown is probably 50 / 25 / 25 between 40 - 65 yard wedge practice in the backyard / 4 iron net session / putting.  

Very few driver sessions on a real range.  Maybe 5 - 10 range shots before playing to get loose and see what shot shape to play off the first tee.

In the cold winter months I will go for a month or more without playing but still do some net sessions to keep the swing flexibility and brief putting or wedge sessions if the temps touch 40 and we have sunshine.  I will also do indoor putting in the evenings to remember the setup / stroke routine and keep from being too bored.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

15 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I rather play than hit the range. Maybe three to four times a year I hit a bucket of balls. Typically it is because I'm trying out a new club. Typical golf day is get to the course, hit three drives on the range and if they are good right to the tee. My course is consistent on green speed so know the speed on chips and putts. 

A different course requires some chipping and putting before I head to the tee to get a feel for the greens.

I'm not a fan of hitting the range. Best practice is playing.

Maybe I should qualify a bit more. If I am posting for handicap I play with that in mind. Play it as it lies. If I am not, I am playing the course but in practice mode. Sometimes I will intentionally hit the ball into an area that will give me a challenge on the next shot. If I hit into a bunker I will sometimes move it to a harder location in the bunker or when chipping move the ball to a short sided downhill location. So in essence I am practicing but in real world conditions, not on a range with a bucket full of opportunities and marginal at best range balls. I have one shot at it this way and therefore a higher focus on the outcome.   

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Similar to what has been said, I think playing on the course simulates real world conditions (uneven lies, pressure, etc) that you can't always replicate on the range. I am fairly technical (read: obsessive) about my swing and I work with an instructor so I am typically trying to ingrain a feel or movement which requires range time. If your swing is more "feel" based and/or you don't often make changes to it then you are probably better served to get out on the course. When I am playing well and not working on something specific in my swing I try to play more. I also have two children under 3 so I had to get a net because I basically get 4 hours a week to play golf. I am likely to spend that as two 9 hole rounds or one 18 hole round rather than 4 hours at the range or even 2 hours at the range and 2 hours on course. 

19 hours ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that hitting into a net doesn't really give you much feedback on your ball flight without a launch monitor. You can hit what feel like incredibly struck shots, when in reality they were delofted hooks.

So far that hasn't been my experience. Albeit, I am only about 2 months into my net journey, I tend to favor using a set of 1970s blades (not my gamers) into the net because I can feel EXACTLY where I hit those on the face. True, I could be pulling them or hooking them but I am also filming my swing and tracking my path. So not perfect but I think you can get to a certain skill level and feel when you are hitting it like crap or flushing it or somewhere in between.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Agree with all the guys saying short game practice is very important.

24 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Similar to what has been said, I think playing on the course simulates real world conditions (uneven lies, pressure, etc) that you can't always replicate on the range. I am fairly technical (read: obsessive) about my swing and I work with an instructor so I am typically trying to ingrain a feel or movement which requires range time. If your swing is more "feel" based and/or you don't often make changes to it then you are probably better served to get out on the course. When I am playing well and not working on something specific in my swing I try to play more. I also have two children under 3 so I had to get a net because I basically get 4 hours a week to play golf. I am likely to spend that as two 9 hole rounds or one 18 hole round rather than 4 hours at the range or even 2 hours at the range and 2 hours on course. 

Definitely agree on play being better for real world conditions and learning how to score.  One of the reasons I've really started to enjoy the Par 3 courses for practice, beyond the fact that they seem to be the only courses that are not fully stacked, is that it's all scoring clubs with very small greens.  140 yards max on the one near me.  Which means 9 iron or lower on ever hole. 

Also, it's worth trying the Tiger worst ball practice method during a practice round.  Hit two balls.  Pick the worst shot.  Hit two balls from there.  Pick the worst shot.  Rinse repeat.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

32 minutes ago, vandyland said:

......I tend to favor using a set of 1970s blades (not my gamers) into the net because I can feel EXACTLY where I hit those on the face. ......

I have been using my late 70's Palmer Standard 4i for net sessions and I can tell you exactly where the strike was on the face!  If i hit it thin enough my fingers will really feel it in this cold weather!!  😱  Using the longer iron helps my concentration level to get a good swing / strike and the blade gives great feedback.  I sometimes hit my gamer 7i with the Mevo to get club speed and ball speed patterns and to see where my swing is at in relation to mid season speeds.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

20 hours ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

This ^^ 

I would say hitting in to a net is better than not swinging at all, but be very careful to avoid practicing bad habits.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:42 AM, Ty Webb1 said:

Do you put much thought into how much time you practice (range or just net in the yard) vs. playing a round?

Backstory: 2 kids with a net and 30-ish yard chipping area in the back yard that I use frequently. But with the cold weather (and especially kids) playing 18 is really tough. We have a 9-hole muni down the street that I think could be solid for practice this time of year. I'm a little worried about paralysis by analysis and developing a bad habit with the net that I don't notice right away. 

So, is there an optimal ratio for actually getting out and hitting shots on the course vs. practice? TIA.

I dropped about 10 strokes when I diverted range time to playing 9 hole rounds on a local muni about 3-4 years ago. Unless you are working on a swing change or other technical work (which can be done without a ball), more reps on course will always result in a better golf game by actually playing golf and managing your way around the course. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Interesting to see people say they got better by just playing golf on the course. Curious if this is purely rounds by the rulebook or is it practice on the course hitting different shots, taking multiple chip/pitches or putts.

While I think learning course management by playing a lot and seeing what one can or can’t do from certain lies or having objects in the way, I’m not convinced purely playing more makes one better, if that was the case the number of golfers who don’t break 100 or even 90 would be a lot lower. I know people that play 3x a week on the same 2-3 courses and shoot the same scores nearly every round and none of them are getting below 85 consistently.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Interesting to see people say they got better by just playing golf on the course. Curious if this is purely rounds by the rulebook or is it practice on the course hitting different shots, taking multiple chip/pitches or putts.

Both. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While I think learning course management by playing a lot and seeing what one can or can’t do from certain lies or having objects in the way, I’m not convinced purely playing more makes one better, if that was the case the number of golfers who don’t break 100 or even 90 would be a lot lower. I know people that play 3x a week on the same 2-3 courses and shoot the same scores nearly every round and none of them are getting below 85 consistently.

I often play two ball as a single both back home in MT and here in AZ; particularly early and late season.  Well, heck, even peak season on a couple of courses in MT 🙂.  If course play/time allows, I will sometimes take some extra shots from various distances and thick rough.  I do the same for bunkers... might as well amortize the raking effort.

Mashing balls on a range, even at targets and focusing on specific arrows in the bag just does not do it for me.  I prefer the visual look/feel of taking shots on the course. I find that works better for me and I have seen positive results in lowering scores on all the courses I play.  Different strokes for different folks... see what I did there? 😉

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Been reading this thread people seem to be play actual rounds skip the range but say practice short game and putting.  Isn't practicing short game and putting at the short game area really the same as range time?    People advocate for playing because of the variety of shots and having to focus and getting a score or hitting shots from different positions on the course   Why can't this be done on the range?   There is no requirement to stay in one spot,  you can hit a variety of shots,  you can play games and keep score.   The problem isn't range time,  but unfocussed range time.   

I hit lots of balls doing most wanted testing, but it really doesn't help my game because I am basically just beating balls but technically I could say I get lots of range time. 

I did improve my short game by hitting balls at MGS on their launch monitor.   I did improve my distance putting by using my ExPutt simulator.  I don't think I could have effectively worked on those skills during a round of golf.  Yes the short game work could be done on a par3 course which isn't very convenient for me.  

To answer the OP question, you are in a position where you have limited time so I would do whatever helps you enjoy the game.  If I were you,  i'd practice short game shots in the backyard and do some putting drills in between your rounds of golf. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

People advocate for playing because of the variety of shots and having to focus and getting a score or hitting shots from different positions on the course   Why can't this be done on the range?   There is no requirement to stay in one spot,  you can hit a variety of shots,  you can play games and keep score.   The problem isn't range time,  but unfocussed range time.   

Exactly. 

Being from Cleveland I hit the range a bit more than most early on to get my swing in order quickly. I play here and there during the winter in simulator but not much recently. Once the weather turns consistently I generally play more in the course and hit the range for fine tuning or to get some swings in while saving a few bucks when I don’t have a ton of time 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

29 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Every player is different. I'm not advocating that nobody ever use the range. And yes, focused range time is better than unfocused. 

But the question is what is the best use of time for most players, given that most players have limited free time. For beginners, the range is a great place to groove a swing and later to dial in distances. But for those who have been at it awhile, range time is going to result in very small improvements for very large investments of time and energy. Short game,  on the other hand, is a place where most players can see meaningful improvement with smaller time investments. The object of the game is to get the ball into the hole in as few strokes as possible, so short game practice and on course play, both of which involve actually holing out, are usually more valuable in learning to score than hitting ball after ball at targets and never finishing the deal. 

I love it when a range rat friend hits a bomb down the fairway, follows it with a lovely looking 7 iron that just misses the green, then chips to 12 feet and misses the par putt. Meanwhile, I drive it way right, punch a 5 iron through trees to 45 yards short of the green, pitch to 8 feet, and sink the putt for par. And then they complain that they "played the hole better" than me, but I had a par and they made bogey. I say, no, you hit pretty shots, I played golf. There's a big difference. Someone who scored lower than you, by the very definition of the game "played better golf" than you.  I've beaten many a player who hits pretty shots by double digits, and it never gets old. 

You learn to score by scoring. 

But if that range rat friend decides to spend more time on their short game they will be hitting pretty shots and scoring. Generally being able to hit the fairway is going to lead to lower scores. There are two sides to every argument. I have friends that play great scramble golf and I have friends that can work the ball whatever way they want. The friends that play whatever shot they want have much higher ceilings for their golf game.

29 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I love it when a range rat friend hits a bomb down the fairway, follows it with a lovely looking 7 iron that just misses the green, then chips to 12 feet and misses the par putt. Meanwhile, I drive it way right, punch a 5 iron through trees to 45 yards short of the green, pitch to 8 feet, and sink the putt for par. And then they complain that they "played the hole better" than me, but I had a par and they made bogey. I say, no, you hit pretty shots, I played golf. There's a big difference. Someone who scored lower than you, by the very definition of the game "played better golf" than you.  I've beaten many a player who hits pretty shots by double digits, and it never gets old. 

You learn to score by scoring. 

What you described is managing poor shots to  avoid double or worse.     The approach you described for both scenarios were correct; you brought up this pretty concept; which isn't what I would advocate for range time.    If you are beating that player by double digits,  he needs to practice pitch/chip shots to get closer than 12 feet as that was his only problem on that hole.   If the players you are playing with makes that type of comment he isn't a golfer and needs to learn how to play golf;  I have never told someone that had a lower score that I played the hole better.   Ultimately what you are describing is called course management;  you learned it on the course and now with Mark Brodie's published work you can learn that without stepping on the course;  you learned it on the course over years of playing.   Range time isn't to lean to hit "pretty shots"  it is to learn to be effective.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I used to be almost 1:1 range:course, now I rarely hit the range before I play, and my scores and other stats haven’t changed at all. Unless I am working on something specific, I don’t hit the range - but then I’m not a pro. Most of my practice is chipping, pitching and putting - keeping those skills sharp seems to help me more than the range. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys