Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2022 Chromesoft Release Today (1/28/22)

RDel90

I've been an X LS guy last half of last year. Excited to hear fellow Spie's experience with the 2022 models. Are us "amateur hours" - Manolo - good enough to notice the claimed improved spin performance? I plan on playing some of the X LS vs Bridgestone Tour B X. 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

There's another thread on it, but I would say, unequivocally, yes. The difference between the 2021 XLS and the 2022 version is pretty noticeable, in a very good way (IMO)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Hmm didn’t see the other thread. I saw the MGS review. I plan on buying a box of each to go along with some ProVs and Maxfli Tour X I already have and look at some numbers on my home setup.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Just gotta scroll down more 🙂

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Just picked up a box today. 

I’m looking forward to trying the ‘22 LS: I feel like every release I’m retesting the same balls lol. Yet again, it’ll come down to:

Tour BX

-Provlx or •Provlx( although I had zero luck finding either in stores last year)

Chromesoft xls

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Specifically to Callaway balls - how am I able to distinguish the newest/latest generation of Callaway balls from earlier build dates.  From everything I've read on My Golf Spy I doubt I'd buy earlier generations of Callaway balls even if they were 50% off.  The golf ball quality tests that My Golf Spy performed on so many brands really swayed me into buying Titleist.  Excellent consistancy means something to me.  With that said, if MGS says Callaway has invested many millions into creating a manufacturing process that will ensure a great performing ball day in and day out - I'll give it a try.  All I care about is playing my best golf.

But, how do I recognize the newest balls.

17 hours ago, Joegolf1956 said:

Specifically to Callaway balls - how am I able to distinguish the newest/latest generation of Callaway balls from earlier build dates.  From everything I've read on My Golf Spy I doubt I'd buy earlier generations of Callaway balls even if they were 50% off.  The golf ball quality tests that My Golf Spy performed on so many brands really swayed me into buying Titleist.  Excellent consistancy means something to me.  With that said, if MGS says Callaway has invested many millions into creating a manufacturing process that will ensure a great performing ball day in and day out - I'll give it a try.  All I care about is playing my best golf.

But, how do I recognize the newest balls.

I search and look at the box. There are slight changes.

Here is the previous generation box vs the new 2022. You can see the graphics are different. Just looking at the balls themselves, I don't think you can visually see any differece.

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Golf Balls product image

21CWYU2022CHRMSFTGBLL?wid=1400&fmt=pjpeg

5 minutes ago, RDel90 said:

I search and look at the box. There are slight changes.

Here is the previous generation box vs the new 2022. You can see the graphics are different. Just looking at the balls themselves, I don't think you can visually see any differece.

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Golf Balls product image

21CWYU2022CHRMSFTGBLL?wid=1400&fmt=pjpeg

If the balls n the box are an indicator,  they have big differences,  the bottom has the chevron and the top has the ball name.  From what I have seen every generation of ball has some slight tweak…don’t, logo appearance, look of the balls name.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If the balls n the box are an indicator,  they have big differences,  the bottom has the chevron and the top has the ball name.  From what I have seen every generation of ball has some slight tweak…don’t, logo appearance, look of the balls name.  

Here’s a ball from the box I just picked up from the PGA Tour Superstore. No chevron on the 2022s like the picture….box matches though. I’ll have to see if I still have a prior Gen in the bag. 

91DB0836-13B4-4F93-B38D-A3E0CC11F3A7.jpeg

17 minutes ago, RDel90 said:

Here’s a ball from the box I just picked up from the PGA Tour Superstore. No chevron on the 2022s like the picture….box matches though. I’ll have to see if I still have a prior Gen in the bag. 

If you go to callaways site and look at the ball pictures from last year to this year you can see that they have added/changed the markings outside the name of the ball and changed the name of the ball.   You can find the 2021 models under clearance.    

he is the non triple track example.  

image.png.4cb0caa90995928585cfd84c89a9aed7.png

image.png.277652a1c07b5cb728aa5c810a83c036.png

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If you go to callaways site and look at the ball pictures from last year to this year you can see that they have added/changed the markings outside the name of the ball and changed the name of the ball.   You can find the 2021 models under clearance.    

he is the non triple track example.  

image.png.4cb0caa90995928585cfd84c89a9aed7.png

image.png.277652a1c07b5cb728aa5c810a83c036.png

Like titleist the alignment aid changes year to year 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1