Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts Γ—

GOING TO THE MASTERS IN APRIL!!

tarrantian

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Β 

Staying with buddies at a place near Columbia SC (Lake Murray), our tix are for the first round and we'll be playing in the vicinity before and after our trip to AugustaΒ (Our rental is about an hour away)...

Haven't done too much research into courses in the vicinity where we are staying, but hoping to get some suggestions here.

Also would love any other 'tips and tricks' for those that have been to Augusta.Β 

Thanks guys!!

Β - Ian

:taylormade-small:Β Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (FujikuraΒ Vista Pro 65S)Β 
:taylormade-small:Β Stealth 2 Plus 3 FairwayΒ 15.0D (FujikuraΒ Vista Pro 65S)Β 
:taylormade-small:Β Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (FujikuraΒ Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small:Β Stealth Irons (KBSΒ C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW)Β Golf PrideΒ CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small:Β My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters*Β (CustomΒ / KBSΒ CT Tour) - Golf PrideΒ :taylormade-small:Β Pistol
:taylormade-small:Β My Spider Tour X3 Putter*Β (CustomΒ / KBSΒ Black PVD) - SuperStrokeΒ Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)Β :taylormade-small: TP5Β Golf Ball
:Clicgear:Β 4.0Β Push Cart /Β :skycaddie:Β SX550 GPS /Β :bushnell:Β ProX3 Laser Rangefinder
Β 
(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

37 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm no help on courses. Once I get to Columbia I keep a going to Myrtle. But I have been to the Masters several times. My suggestions:Β  Β Sorry this will be lengthy.

Get there early and get a good parking spot up close. Leave you cell in the car of your goingΒ  to be walking back to the car when you get to security. Thursday - Sunday no cameras. Once through security hit the big merchandise building get your stuff and head back to the car and drop it all off. Be sure to get a ticket lanyard. Keeps your ticket nice for a keep sakeΒ  and from losing it. You have to have it on display. This place is packed later in the day when people are leaving. I mean packed with people with lists for others and trying to resell on ebay. Now apply sunscreen, put on a wide brim hat and spikless golf shoes. Why you ask? The grass is slick when damp. I've had buddies go down at the course with their nice white shorts. You might be sitting on a hillside so watch the color shorts or pants your wearing. Now back through security. The range will be on your left you can stop for a bit to watch some players warm up.Β  You definitely want to see the entire course. Pictures and TV doesn't do it justice. Take your time. Pick a spot, sit in the stands for a bit watch some groups go through and move. Pick up a tee time sheet and a map when you first get in. If there are some groups you want to really see it is best to get ahead of them. Get to the stands and grab a seat and wait for them to come to you. All the stands have dedicated Marshall's they will let you know when you can get up to a seat.. No motion is allowed when players are on the green or tee box. Don't bother trying to follow anybody you won't see crap. Last time I went, there was a literal sea of people following Tiger. You could see and hear them from a hole or two away. Looked like a tidal wave coming.

Keep hydrated lots of people pass out from huffing around the course, out of shape and not hydrating. Practice rounds the players will interact. From Thursday on its their job and they won't even look your way.

Food is cheap and very good, lines go fast. Each line has the same food. Pick the shortest. All drinks come in collector's cups. Some people don't save them but leave some on top of trash cans for others. So if you want to bring home 6 and you only had three drinks in those cups you can pick up 3 more. Water bottles have the Masters label on them as well. Bathroom lines are long but get on it anyway it goes really fast. There are people inside the bathrooms to direct you to your required place of business. You can get on a line 30 people deep and be in and out in 5 minutes. The line never stops moving. They got their sh_t together. Pun intended.

If by chance you want to get something you forgot to purchase there is another small shop on the right near the exit. Look for it on the way in so you know where it is.

When you use one of the fairway crosswalks meander a little to the side where its not trampled. The feel of the fairway under you feet is amazing.Β  Note that heckling will get you thrown out. There is zero tolerance there. I've seen them toss out a few. Not that you are but stay away from any who are to prevent any mistaken identification. Drunks are common as the beer is cheap too.

You will have a great time.

Wow Tom, thank you so much for this - Really amazing advice...

I've always worried about the hecklers, more my reaction to them and the possiblity of violence LOL. Happy this is not the case with the patrons at Augusta. Amazing advice around cell phones, hydration, attire, etc.Β 

Thank you so much for this!

:taylormade-small:Β Stealth Irons (KBSΒ C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW)Β Golf PrideΒ CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small:Β My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters*Β (CustomΒ / KBSΒ CT Tour) - Golf PrideΒ :taylormade-small:Β Pistol
:taylormade-small:Β My Spider Tour X3 Putter*Β (CustomΒ / KBSΒ Black PVD) - SuperStrokeΒ Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)Β :taylormade-small: TP5Β Golf Ball
:Clicgear:Β 4.0Β Push Cart /Β :skycaddie:Β SX550 GPS /Β :bushnell:Β ProX3 Laser Rangefinder
Β 

Should have added - Looking for any golf recommendations in the general vicinity of Lake Murrray, Batesburg-Leesville. Doesn't seem to be much, but also (either on our way down or home) willing to pay for showcase courses as well...

For perspective, we're driving down primarily via Interstate 77 from Ontario, Canada.

Thanks again.Β 

Β 

I’ve only been once in 1989, so I can’t top the great advice Tom gave you above. Having first round tickets is probably a very good thing, it’ll be a little less crowded and chaotic. I’ll only echo you won’t believe the place in person, TV doesn’t begin to do it justice - the manicured beauty, the living history and the extreme contours. Soak it all in while you’re there. I apply every year without success, I only hope to go again at least once.Β 

I don’t know courses near Lake Murray (even though I have family on the lake). It may be a little out of the way off I77 and too far from where you’re staying, but I highly recommend Pinehurst #2 or #4, Pine Needles or Mid Pines.

Or if you want to see the most unique good course in the world, Tobacco Road. If you consider TR, watch a couple videos first. There isn’t another course like it I’ve seen, and it looks harder than it actually is IF you’ve studied the holes a little in advance. Everyone I know who’s been there either absolutely loves it or hates it, no one falls in the middle (IOW watch a video to decide, skip to 7:45 for the actual course).

Β 

• Titleist TSR2 11Β° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5ΒΊ HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21ΒΊ HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTxΒ Midsize
  • MizunoΒ JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Enjoy!

Β 

Edited by Headhammer

Driver: :cobra-small:Β Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood:Β :cobra-small:Β King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids:Β :cobra-small:Β SpeedzoneΒ Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons:Β :cobra-small:Β Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1:Β PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter:Β :odyssey-small:Β Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Check out Timberlake Country Club. It's member owned but offers public tee times and it's right on Lake Murray. Has good ratings.

:titleist-small:Β Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small:Β 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small:Β 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R FlexΒ 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R FlexΒ 

:cobra-small:Β 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small:Β Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small:Β AgeraΒ 35"

image.pngΒ Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

9 hours ago, Middler said:

I’ve only been once in 1989, so I can’t top the great advice Tom gave you above. Having first round tickets is probably a very good thing, it’ll be a little less crowded and chaotic. I’ll only echo you won’t believe the place in person, TV doesn’t begin to do it justice - the manicured beauty, the living history and the extreme contours. Soak it all in while you’re there. I apply every year without success, I only hope to go again at least once.Β 

I don’t know courses near Lake Murray (even though I have family on the lake). It may be a little out of the way off I77 and too far from where you’re staying, but I highly recommend Pinehurst #2 or #4, Pine Needles or Mid Pines.

Or if you want to see the most unique good course in the world, Tobacco Road. If you consider TR, watch a couple videos first. There isn’t another course like it I’ve seen, and it looks harder than it actually is IF you’ve studied the holes a little in advance. Everyone I know who’s been there either absolutely loves it or hates it, no one falls in the middle (IOW watch a video to decide, skip to 7:45 for the actual course).

Β 

Thanks Middler - Great advice, Pinehurst and Tobacco are definite considerations. Really appreciate the advice!!

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Check out Timberlake Country Club. It's member owned but offers public tee times and it's right on Lake Murray. Has good ratings.

Thanks Tom!! I'll check it out...

Β 

18 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Thanks Tom!

Β 

Have a great time!Β  Great advice Tom.Β  I know if it were me, I'd definitely need to go back to the car to store my purchases.Β  I don't even want to think about the dollar figure that I might put down in the pro shop!

Certainly on my bucket list as probably every golfer on Earth and if I don't get picked for the draw (most likely that I won't) I plan to buy tickets for my 40th in 2027.Β  My birthday is in Mid April as well so it works out pretty well.

Driver:Β Β image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid:Β :titelist-small:Β TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 HybridΒ :titelist-small:Β 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -Β Β :titelist-small:Β T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:Β Β :titelist-small:Β T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:Β Β :titelist-small:Β Vokey SM6 49*Β  SM8 54*Β 

Lob Wedge: Β image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:Β  Β :scotty-small:Β Phantom 5.5 34"Β  Β  Β Β Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"Β  Β  Β  Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

You will never forget the experience! If you are lucky and get in the first wave you can put your chairs at the eighteenth green. Leave them no one will move them. At least that’s the way it was when I went.

in Aiken, you may be able to play the Reserve club as they accept outside play. It’s a Nicklaus course and it is in every aspect a championship course. Aiken golf club is a public course. Neat because of the history. Many PGA pros from the area cut their teeth on it. I lived at the Reserve Club for many years. Sage valley is another great course. Walking and caddie is required. You won’t regret playing it.

Β 

1 hour ago, Jay Vecchiarelli said:

You will never forget the experience! If you are lucky and get in the first wave you can put your chairs at the eighteenth green. Leave them no one will move them. At least that’s the way it was when I went.

in Aiken, you may be able to play the Reserve club as they accept outside play. It’s a Nicklaus course and it is in every aspect a championship course. Aiken golf club is a public course. Neat because of the history. Many PGA pros from the area cut their teeth on it. I lived at the Reserve Club for many years. Sage valley is another great course. Walking and caddie is required. You won’t regret playing it.

Β 

Thank you Jay - I'm checking out courses this weekend. Appreciate the advice my friend!!

Β 

I think at the Masters last year they started an only one re-entry per ticket holder policy. So only send one guy back to the car with the merchandise. Just in case you need a couple runs back to the car during the day for stuff.Β  I would check and see if they are still doing that.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from my trip - Too much to say, but it was exactly as hoped (The chair thing is a bit of a myth, we planted ours adjacent to the 11th green 12th tees, came back from following Tiger and some @ss was in my chair, couldn't get to it until later when the crowds thinned and kicked him out LOL)...

Felt like Field of Dreams - "Is this heaven?"

Good times.

- Ian

(Attached photo w/my friend Sham)

THE MASTERS 2022 (SMALL).jpg

Β 

On 2/4/2022 at 7:20 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I think at the Masters last year they started an only one re-entry per ticket holder policy. So only send one guy back to the car with the merchandise. Just in case you need a couple runs back to the car during the day for stuff.Β  I would check and see if they are still doing that.

You are correct. The other option is to use the complimentary shopping bag check service next to the shop. The line to drop off wasn't bad and the pick up took a minute max.

:Sub70:Β 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small:Β V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70:Β 699U 3 (19.5*)Β 

:Sub70:Β  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) withΒ :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small:Β JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL:Β ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3Β 

:1590477705_SunMountain:Β 2023 2.5+ /Β :nike-small:Β University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy:Β Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope:Β Pro L2

On 4/11/2022 at 9:26 PM, tarrantian said:

Just got back from my trip - Too much to say, but it was exactly as hoped (The chair thing is a bit of a myth, we planted ours adjacent to the 11th green 12th tees, came back from following Tiger and some @ss was in my chair, couldn't get to it until later when the crowds thinned and kicked him out LOL)...

Felt like Field of Dreams - "Is this heaven?"

Good times.

- Ian

(Attached photo w/my friend Sham)

THE MASTERS 2022 (SMALL).jpg

Your photo is much better than mine. I was on the mat on the other side and the photographer did not get the logo flowers...he zoomed in too much.

:Sub70:Β 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small:Β V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70:Β 699U 3 (19.5*)Β 

:Sub70:Β  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) withΒ :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small:Β JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL:Β ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3Β 

:1590477705_SunMountain:Β 2023 2.5+ /Β :nike-small:Β University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy:Β Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope:Β Pro L2

• 10 months later...

I got Tickets for the Wednesday practice session for 2023. Trying to figure out where to stay without paying an arm and a leg! I will be taking the week off and driving from Chicago but not yet sure if I will be heading up from Florida or not. So where to stay? Aiken? Columbia? Macon?

1 hour ago, lefty110golf said:

I got Tickets for the Wednesday practice session for 2023. Trying to figure out where to stay without paying an arm and a leg! I will be taking the week off and driving from Chicago but not yet sure if I will be heading up from Florida or not. So where to stay? Aiken? Columbia? Macon?

I stayed in Aiken the last few times.Β 

15 hours ago, lefty110golf said:

The time I went I stayed an hour away.Β  Β The difficulty is that you are waiting until now to make reservations; when I went,Β  I made mine months in advance.Β Β 

Β 

Driver:Β  :ping-small:Β G400 Max 9* w/ KBSΒ Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small:Β TS3Β 15* Β w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:Β  :titelist-small:Β 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β :titelist-small:Β 915HΒ  24* Β w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid PrototypeΒ  Β  Β  Β Β 
Irons:Β  Β  Β  :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge: Β :titleist-small:Β 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:Β  Β Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:Β Β :odyssey-small:Β Milled Collection RSX 2,Β :seemore-small:Β mFGP2,Β :cameron-small:Β Futura 5W,Β :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:Β  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Β 

You could stay around Columbia or even Greenville, SC. Drive would be a bit long, but Greenville is a great town. Better golf options too if you’re looking to play.Β 

"Where'd it go?"Β  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.pngΒ Gen 2Β  0811 XF 10.5*Β  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.pngΒ Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:Β Β Tour B JGR 15*Β  Β Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:Β  Tour B JGR 19* & 22*Β HybridΒ UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:Β  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)Β  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small:Β CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)Β  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATIΒ Β Mamo Putter 33"Β  Super Stroke Football League 3.0Β Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.pngΒ PRO Member

Β 

Β 

Β 

18 hours ago, lefty110golf said:

We stayed at a home rental via VRBO in Lake Murray, west of Columbia and about an hour from Augusta…

In hindsight, the place was awesome but a bit in the middle of nowhere - Kind of shocked at the minimal golf options, but considering the area likely gets tourist activity only once a year somewhat understandable.

We had such a great trip and we found courses that fit the bill regardless - Just can’t get over how cold it was on Masters Saturday (we were there on the Thurs when the weather was beautiful)…

While the 3rd was being played we were playing a course near Columbia and were unprepared for the Canada late fall-like temps we were playing in LOL.

Enjoy!!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• 2 weeks later...

Moved to house on Lake Murray last fall. Yes, we have neighbors that rent their house via VRBO or Airbnb. The drive to Augusta is about 1:15. I play Timberlake because it's closest course to my house & a great design (Willard Byrd). Course conditions are steadily improving but still a work in progress. Back 9 greens new last summer. Front 9 to be renovated this summer. Bermuda grass tee to green. How much of the Bermuda grass is not dormant depends on how much warm weather preceeds Masters week. Other courses to consider are Oak Hill & Mid Carolina.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk