TESTERS WANTED! ×

Grip Alignment and a little surprise....

I picked up a used set of G410's for SWMBO recently and the heads, shafts and grips are all in great shape.  However, the CP2 grips were not lined up at all or in any consistent way.  And they were even twisted during install so even if the bottom happened to be lined up the top was twisted out of alignment.  As someone who has regripped thousands of clubs, that drives me crazy!  They need to be lined up and consistent!!  

So being cheap and hating to see a good grip go to waste I removed them today with no problem and no mess, ready to be put back on..... and found an interesting extension on the butt end of the shafts.....

IMG_20220130_132422835_HDR.jpg.dd884bd15ac8442ee4c344a4b85c57bd.jpg

My guess is they made some home made graphite extensions and did their best to seat them in the end of the shaft before putting on the grips.  The graphics on the shaft don't align with the head like you generally see with factory installs.  So maybe they swapped in shafts that were about 1/2" short and this is the strategy to get them back to standard.  They are not loose at all so I am inclined to leave them alone.  Now the decision on which side of the grip gets hidden...

IMG_20220130_132556739_HDR.jpg.672b8f60edd95b9e6538e298e75f3eae.jpg

or...

IMG_20220130_132529682_HDR.jpg.643892e27901be67dd80396a02906a1b.jpg

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I picked up a used set of G410's for SWMBO recently and the heads, shafts and grips are all in great shape.  However, the CP2 grips were not lined up at all or in any consistent way.  And they were even twisted during install so even if the bottom happened to be lined up the top was twisted out of alignment.  As someone who has regripped thousands of clubs, that drives me crazy!  They need to be lined up and consistent!!  

So being cheap and hating to see a good grip go to waste I removed them today with no problem and no mess, ready to be put back on..... and found an interesting extension on the butt end of the shafts.....

IMG_20220130_132422835_HDR.jpg.dd884bd15ac8442ee4c344a4b85c57bd.jpg

My guess is they made some home made graphite extensions and did their best to seat them in the end of the shaft before putting on the grips.  The graphics on the shaft don't align with the head like you generally see with factory installs.  So maybe they swapped in shafts that were about 1/2" short and this is the strategy to get them back to standard.  They are not loose at all so I am inclined to leave them alone.  Now the decision on which side of the grip gets hidden...

IMG_20220130_132556739_HDR.jpg.672b8f60edd95b9e6538e298e75f3eae.jpg

or...

IMG_20220130_132529682_HDR.jpg.643892e27901be67dd80396a02906a1b.jpg

Wow, what we find when we do a little digging??

I'm guessing here but maybe the misaligned shaft graphics could be that the previous builder did some spining/FLOing/pureing thing?  So the resultant "top" of shaft doesn't align with the graphics, thus isn't the same from club to club.

Looks like the one shaft extension didn't get installed deep enough, and they trimmed it anyway, ugh.

If it were me, I'd take out that one ugly shaft extension, and replace it with something a little cleaner.    

Our SWMBOs deserves the best, don't they?   👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

Edited by SlowNLow
typos, AD/HD

That’s a bit of a surprise I would say. The one extension looks a little crooked to me. But the club could just be on an angle. The all white wraps would be cool! Maybe some custom Ferrules to match some colorful grips, nothing but the best right!!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Custom Ferrules?!?!  You guys are tough....She already has top shelf G410 irons, G410 driver, TM Spider putter, Callaway & TM fairway and hybrids has a Sun Mountain C130 bag, plays ProV1's and has a cart cover & heater for winter play so I don't think she is slumming it when it comes to golf equip!!  😆

I double & triple checked each extension to make sure it was securely in the end of the shaft and not at all loose, then I barely trimmed it so it was squared off.  Added some layers of tape to build it up to her preferred feel and put the grips back on in the chosen alignment....All lined up & looking good!  

IMG_20220130_171821944_HDR.jpg.0842ce99447167a946d9f57716948b2e.jpg

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

17 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Custom Ferrules?!?!  You guys are tough....She already has top shelf G410 irons, G410 driver, TM Spider putter, Callaway & TM fairway and hybrids has a Sun Mountain C130 bag, plays ProV1's and has a cart cover & heater for winter play so I don't think she is slumming it when it comes to golf equip!!  😆

I double & triple checked each extension to make sure it was securely in the end of the shaft and not at all loose, then I barely trimmed it so it was squared off.  Added some layers of tape to build it up to her preferred feel and put the grips back on in the chosen alignment....All lined up & looking good!  

I agree, they came out looking good, but.....

One day, you might sell those clubs and somebody is going to pull the grips and see that shaft extension and ask, "who did this???"  

Then again, some might say, "so what".  🙈🙉🙊

Your SWMBO does have some nice gear.    

• 2 weeks later...

@Shapotomous those turned out fantastic.. sounds like My SWMBO, I'll get her almost anything she needs (which isn't much) it allows me to play more.. LOL 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.