TESTERS WANTED! ×

R11 TP vs R11s vs RBZ

RookieBlue7

The forgiveness is about equal, the SFTP 2.0 v2 may get the slight nod. In still dialing in the feel for the Phenom though, it's monster long when hit flush. The shaft, though, transitions at a different place in the swing. It's definitely more of a shaft that you've gotta put a hard effort into clearing the clubhead, at least more so than the SMOOOOOOTH Talamonti I'm accustomed to. I have to rip at it with the Phenom, which prevents my miss of letting off and flipping. I can step on it (no choice) and I don't get handsy. I've hit some kraken like drives with it though.

I'm waiting on the new prototype shaft I have to cure and I'll see how much it cuts spin in the R11 TP.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Did you find it to be more forgiving than the r11 tp? How was accuracy?

I'm just one guy, but I actually hit the R11s consistently straighter, and I think I prefer the feel, but it's marginal.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I have a version 2 LCG as well(well, did till I sold it to my cousin). It's the same launch as the one I'm gaming. It is, however, MUCH louder and the face is ever so slightly deeper. Nothing huge, but that is the difference.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 3 weeks later...

The RBZ was loud but the R11 s was equally loud. thought there was more of a hollow sound for the Rbz and the R11s sounds closer to a D2.

so today i tried the R11s Vs my current Vr pro in Px shaft. First thoughts was that the head actually feels pretty nice and was quite forgiving as compared to my Vr. there was definitely more forgiveness compared to my current when i didnt hit it clean in the middle for the R11s.

what made me very happy was the spin numbers. with the stock Rip shaft in the S flex my spin was in the 2600 region which is almost identical to my Px. however it was launching on average 14 degrees as opposed to 13 on my Vr.

All in all i think its a good driver. But for 440 bucks? hmmmm ill wait 6 months for the R11SS so i can pick up the R11S

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

The RBZ was loud but the R11 s was equally loud. thought there was more of a hollow sound for the Rbz and the R11s sounds closer to a D2.

so today i tried the R11s Vs my current Vr pro in Px shaft. First thoughts was that the head actually feels pretty nice and was quite forgiving as compared to my Vr. there was definitely more forgiveness compared to my current when i didnt hit it clean in the middle for the R11s.

what made me very happy was the spin numbers. with the stock Rip shaft in the S flex my spin was in the 2600 region which is almost identical to my Px. however it was launching on average 14 degrees as opposed to 13 on my Vr.

All in all i think its a good driver. But for 440 bucks? hmmmm ill wait 6 months for the R11SS so i can pick up the R11S

Forgiveness is up, volume is up, spin is same, launch is up, what about distance?

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Forgiveness is up, volume is up, spin is same, launch is up, what about distance?

i havent hit the R11 1st generation before so i cant say the R11s is longer.

but comparing it with my current driver, the distance is almost identical but on really solid strikes it is 10 yards shorter than my Vr pro.

the thing tt i wld lk to emphasize is on off centre strikes there is more pop from the R11s it is more forgiving than wut i have right now. but it is not longer

the stock shaft feels nice tho, RIPs a good shaft

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I especially like this review because it compares 3 generations of the same OEM offerings. That's really useful for folks thinking about upgrading or waiting until the next model comes out.

FWIW...since this review I have tested out (although absolutely non-scientifically) all the heads RookieBlue reviewed along with the R9 Supertri as well. I used the same shaft (Aldila Proto-By-You) for all 4 heads. The R11 was best combination of accuracy and distance for me. The Supertri a very close second, RBZ third, and the R11S dead last (I just could not get a feel for the head, and did not like it much).

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again for the review, and hope to see some more single OEM reviews.....either "official" or unofficial" :)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I've wagered back and forth and back and forth since this initial review. In that time, I've finally settled on my driver for the season (including testing an R11 DOT in that time span).

Where did I end up? I've got an RBZ Tour in my bag and it's there to stay for a while anyway.

In The Bag

I am almost glad I didn't read this before I went shopping 2 weeks ago. I was playing an Adams Speedline with an OEM regular stiffness shaft that I purchased when I first came back to playing. At the time I was 50lbs heavier and in terribly fitness. Swing speed in the low 80's, short backswing hampered by shoulder damage, poor flexibility. I was a 38 year old guy with a swing more like an out of shape 50 year old. The old speed line was very good to me for a year and half, but over the last year, I shed the weight, got back out on the road running, cycling and rehabbing the shoulder. 50 lbs and 800 combined miles later, the Adam's was getting uncontrollable. Where I used to be consistent at 220-240 with a 5-10 yard fade, now I was 210-250 with anything goes draw to fade in a 30 yard swath.

Needless to say the broad side of the barn was safe from intentional impact. It sure felt like I was simply over powering the shaft and the head was all over the place. A rainy afternoon found me looking at new drivers, new shafts for the old driver. I really didn't have a strong opinion, so I hit a local shop that had a broad range of clubs, a launch monitor and a couple of gentleman that used to work the Ping nFlite center.

Because of their background, we started with the Ping g20, but quickly ended up looking at the Taylormade R11, R11s, and the RBZ Tour.

Why? well, 50 lbs and a lot of fitness changes, I find myself with a swing speed between 105-108. Needless to say, the regular shaft wasn't cutting it anymore.

45 minutes later, I walked out with an RBZ Tour running the OEM extra stiff shaft. It was a very tough call between the stiff and extra stiff. From what little I know, apparently my hands come through fast enough that though I was on the borderline swing speed wise, the compression was high enough that the extra stiff was justified.

What is interesting is that my take on the R11, R11s and the RBZ Tour is almost identical to the OP. The R11 and the R11s are great, and IMO are the better head in the right hands, but the RBZ Tour is just that little bit more forgiving. The one thing that I found to be the most noticeable area for this is that the RBZ tees up a little lower, because a miss that strikes below center still launches well, and makes for an very forgiving 'miss'.

After a couple of rounds with the RBZ Tour, I have no functional complaints. I do not particularly like the white head, but for the playability, I will live with it happily.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Archived