TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stealth carbon face durability?? (Post PGA show pics from Reddit)

TBS

21 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

For the record,  I tried to scratch the face with my fingernail yesterda with more than enough force than anyone find any normal reason to do so, and was unable to make any sort of mark. 

Forget the fingernail....

We need a real stress test....smear some peanut butter on it and give it to your dog to chew on for a while then see what it looks like!!  🤣

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Looks like it made a mark, can you feel the indent?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

38 minutes ago, TBS said:

This should be pinned. Thank you for your high tech test! (A little tongue in check, but a claim that needed to be addressed!)

Seems like I may have fallen victim to some TM hating trolls. From the sound of it Stealth is holding up as a solid driver that is a potentially big step forward when it comes to new tech.

Well, I should clarify it was a human finger nail, not a robot fingernail.  I've spoken to many industry experts  and I have heard that human finger nail testig, is more relatable than robot fingernail testing.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 hours ago, Manavs said:

Reposting the usga rules as written as a courtesy.  

Yes it left a mark. 

Screenshot_20220131-154048_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Thanks for doing that test and posting the video.  Very interesting.    As I read the rules, I wonder how they interpret the word "significant"?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I rarely order the "new" clubs every year.  CT is maxed and therefore ballspeed can only do so much.  What they can get better is retaining ballspeed across the face and keeping the ball in play across the face.

Stealth had me interested because of the weight savings, until I read that most of that savings was used up building the bracing for the new face, so they basically save 4 grams.  So no big weight savings to increase the MOI to help keep the ball in play across the face, and from what I have seen the ball speed isn't super special across the face either.

I am struggling to see a huge improvement in what SIM2 could do.  Sure most of the reviews I have seen are showing lower spin compared to other drivers, but I want my spin in the 2500 range and have that with my current driver.

Will I try the Stealth, LTDx, and new Rogues?  Absolutely, but I am not seeing anything in reviews that are showing any massive improvement and it will probably be a waste of time for me since I am pretty well fit in my driver already.

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

9 minutes ago, Golferplus1 said:

I rarely order the "new" clubs every year.  CT is maxed and therefore ballspeed can only do so much.  What they can get better is retaining ballspeed across the face and keeping the ball in play across the face.

Stealth had me interested because of the weight savings, until I read that most of that savings was used up building the bracing for the new face, so they basically save 4 grams.  So no big weight savings to increase the MOI to help keep the ball in play across the face, and from what I have seen the ball speed isn't super special across the face either.

I am struggling to see a huge improvement in what SIM2 could do.  Sure most of the reviews I have seen are showing lower spin compared to other drivers, but I want my spin in the 2500 range and have that with my current driver.

Will I try the Stealth, LTDx, and new Rogues?  Absolutely, but I am not seeing anything in reviews that are showing any massive improvement and it will probably be a waste of time for me since I am pretty well fit in my driver already.

Lots of people including the reviewers are seeing swing speed increase which has the potential to increase ball speed and no drivers aren’t maxed out. There’s an article written by mgs staff that dives into this.

i wish people would do more reading and stop repeating things that have been shown to not be true. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Lots of people including the reviewers are seeing swing speed increase which has the potential to increase ball speed and no drivers aren’t maxed out. There’s an article written by mgs staff that dives into this.

i wish people would do more reading and stop repeating things that have been shown to not be true. 

I wish people wouldn't assume what I have or have not read, and would actually read what I posted themselves.

Having a very good friend that was a patent attorney for a top golf company I have learned quite a bit.  

Can drivers get better?  Yes they can, is there some super material that could stay below the required ct mandated by the USGA and produce higher ball speeds, there very well could be. It is not here currently, in last years releases and not in this years releases.  Can they figure out how to increase ball speed on more places on the face?  Again, yes.  Can they figure out a way to make the head swing faster, again yes.  That doesn't change the smash factor multiplier to get from a CT to ballspeed.  I can also train to swing faster and increase ball speed.  THAT IS NOT WHAT I SAID.  I said they have not figured out how to trick the CT measurement and produce higher ball speeds and basically get to a higher smash factor.

Can they make center strikes produce much bigger smash factors than they do currently?  If a new material is discovered or made that can fool CT and increase ball speed, sure.  That material is not in any head this year from all of the testing I have seen.  So yes ballspeed is currently maxed because there is not a material out right now that can stay below the CT and produce a big increase in ball speed.

Can they lower spin?  Again yes.  Can they do other things to make drivers better?  Sure, as I said IN MY FIRST POST, yes they can.  Please show me how the great and powerful OZ will stay below the CT and increase ball speed in some magnificent way, because until that happens yes drivers are maxed out as far as ball speed on SS hits.

Edited by Golferplus1

Clubs in great standing

• Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

6 minutes ago, Golferplus1 said:

I wish people wouldn't assume what I have or have not read, and would actually read what I posted themselves.

Having a very good friend that was a patent attorney for a top golf company I have learned quite a bit.  

Can drivers get better?  Yes they can, is there some super material that could stay below the required ct mandated by the USGA and produce higher ball speeds, there very well could be. It is not here currently, in last years releases and not in this years releases.  Can they figure out how to increase ball speed on more places on the face?  Again, yes.  Can they figure out a way to make the head swing faster, again yes.  That doesn't change the smash factor multiplier to get from a CT to ballspeed.  I can also train to swing faster and increase ball speed.  THAT IS NOT WHAT I SAID.  I said they have not figured out how to trick the CT measurement and produce higher ball speeds and basically get to a higher smash factor.

Can they make center strikes produce much bigger smash factors than they do currently?  If a new material is discovered or made that can fool CT and increase ball speed, sure.  That material is not in any head this year from all of the testing I have seen.  So yes ballspeed is currently maxed because there is not a material out right now that can stay below the CT and produce a big increase in ball speed.

Well said! 

I have hit mine over 200 times, zero marks so far. Love this driver so far.

Srixon ZX7 Mk II Irons 5-9

Titleist U505 2 Iron 

PING G430 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland 3 Wood

2024 Calloway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond Driver with Oban shaft

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Putter

Taylormade 2024 TP5x 

9 hours ago, bellairemi said:

I did try the fingernail test on the edge of a demo Stealth face.  You could say it left a mark but definitely not an identation.  In fact I was able to buff out the mark pretty easily.

That is basically what the MGS staff told me yesterday about their trying the fingernail test.   I’m still not convinced on way or the other;  I would expect to see more posts about face damage if this was a significant issue.   But at this point all we can do is wait and see.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

44 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That is basically what the MGS staff told me yesterday about their trying the fingernail test.   I’m still not convinced on way or the other;  I would expect to see more posts about face damage if this was a significant issue.   But at this point all we can do is wait and see.  

I saw a few posts on wrx about the face damage but they seemed to come from dirty/Sandy range balls or someone hitting near the very bottom of the face on the heel

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I saw a few posts on wrx about the face damage but they seemed to come from dirty/Sandy range balls or someone hitting near the very bottom of the face on the heel

I posted this point in the main Stealth thread: sandy ranges/courses in the South and the potential for that sand to pit the face. As they say, “It will all come out in the wash.” 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

51 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I posted this point in the main Stealth thread: sandy ranges/courses in the South and the potential for that sand to pit the face. As they say, “It will all come out in the wash.” 

I saw that yesterday. Simple solution is to clean the range balls before one hits them with the stealth 

Watch the PGA guys warm up, they'll rake balls over to hit with Irons and wedges, and sometime three woods and hybrids.

However I have never seen a single once pull balls off the ground and tee up to hit their driver.  Most of them are tossed a ball by their caddy, or pull one out of a bag to hit with the driver.  So even on Metal faced woods this is probably a good idea, I imagine even more so on the carbonwood face.

Am I intrigued by the carbon wood?  Yep.  However just like brand new cars I never buy the first model year.  Carbon wood saves a bunch of weight from the weight of the face, however they lose a bunch of it in the bracing.  In future iterations those weight savings will be more pronounced as they will better brace that face and reuse that weight somewhere else, a savings of 4 grams isn't game changing.  

Sure the face may lower spin, but so can the design of a head and quite a few other things.  Maybe the combo from the carbon wood lowers spin in a way that the rest of the weighting makes it the best driver for me, but it isn't some super out of the blue just game changing difference.

Every three years or so there is a club produced that for my swing and delivery makes a big difference.  Last year the Epic Max LS was that head.  Almost as forgiving as the G400 Max, and yet a lot lower in spin to hit my window more often.  I will try the TM, Cobra, Mizuno, and Cally releases this year, but I don't expect a ton of difference from what I currently have.

Clubs in great standing

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I saw that yesterday. Simple solution is to clean the range balls before one hits them with the stealth 

There are range balls that should be cleaned before hitting with irons ... even PING's Indestructotanium 😬.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

26 minutes ago, d.lama said:

I did a similar thing to one the other day, barely put any pressure on the face, and it left a mark. How this passed for release and meeting rules is perplexing.

Did it leave a permanent indentation in the face or just a mark that buffs out??  

On 1/30/2022 at 10:42 PM, TBS said:

Did anyone else see this on r/golf over the weekend? Here is what the face of the Stealth looked like after the PGA show. Here is a link to the full post with more pics. 

image.png.c41b88ff4a305353b19361a2fa8567bf.png

I know that it took a ton of shots but any markings on the face concern me. There were a number of comments of people who had fittings with them already that were surprised with the number of markings. Is this something to be concerned about? I know carbon fiber can be very strong but I also know that if there is any damage to it, it becomes extremely weak and compromised. 

That was on a driver used at the Graphite Design booth for testing of GD shafts. I suspect that the driver hit as many golf balls in one day as an average golfer would hit in a year (maybe even more).

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

16 hours ago, BeansGuy said:

I have hit mine over 200 times, zero marks so far. Love this driver so far.

I play golf with a guy who has been using a new Stealth driver the last three weeks. He also plays in an indoor simulator league once a week and practices at least once a week. He let me hit a few shots using his Stealth driver last night and it looked absolutely pristine—not a single mark on it.

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

What I don't understand is what all the fuss is with this new driver. I watched a few video reviews on this driver and it did NOT show any signs of "Increased" ball speed nor a distance gain over the last model. So why all the hype? NO Gain, just MORE money out of your pocket?  NOT my idea of a good idea. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

1 hour ago, IONEPUTT said:

What I don't understand is what all the fuss is with this new driver. I watched a few video reviews on this driver and it did NOT show any signs of "Increased" ball speed nor a distance gain over the last model. So why all the hype? NO Gain, just MORE money out of your pocket?  NOT my idea of a good idea. 

I agree.  I was intrigued by the Stealth driver and was certainly wanting to hit it, but I saw no increase in overall performance, and a rather disappointing loss of accuracy vs. any driver that I have hit over the last couple of years. I doubt very seriously that I will become an owner of this driver model.

Right now, I have two drivers that I really like:

1.) Sub 70 849 Pro @ 9* loft with a UST Mamiya Proforce V2 Black shaft.

2.) Titleist TSi1 @ 10* loft that I bought as clubhead only because it was a shop demo. I have this one shafted with a brand new Fujikura Ventus Blue TR shaft.

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

2 hours ago, IONEPUTT said:

As with any club,  it works well for some and not for others.   I saw an additional 6 MPH of ball speed over my current driver and more forgiveness across the face.   Roughly 12-15 more carry yards. 

2 hours ago, IONEPUTT said:

I think the fuss was initially that it represents a new paradigm in design that may very well move the needle as further refinement of this technology is done.  While the other OEM's may not agree, TM suggests that the limits on refining titanium face drivers to get additional gains has peaked... as in no more meat on the bone.

Then the fuss shifted to a MGS statement that all of their testers saw the highest ball speeds ever.  That wasn't being seen by a handful of other noted YT testers such as Rick Shiels.  This then spilled over into a not so friendly exchange between MGS and Rick.

Just as those embers were going cold, the "marred face" (does it or dosen't it?) discussion ensued.  And yes, there have been just about as many saying little gains as no gains based on what I've seen.  Like so many of these new drivers, those currently playing competing product lines, that are within a few product release cycles in age, aren't likely to see eye popping gains.

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

As with any club,  it works well for some and not for others.   I saw an additional 6 MPH of ball speed over my current driver and more forgiveness across the face.   Roughly 12-15 more carry yards. 

Now that is eye popping 👍.  Looks like the G400 is on notice?

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Then the fuss shifted to a MGS statement that all of their testers saw the highest ball speeds ever. 

Just to clarify,  it wasn't their testers,  it was the staff that visited TaylorMade.  

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Now that is eye popping 👍.  Looks like the G400 is on notice?

It is.   Have a few drivers on the list; based on my most wanted results, that I will go test a little more.  

3 hours ago, IONEPUTT said:

You might want to go over to wrx and read some reviews. There’s several who have gained ball speed and distance including one guy who was fit at the kingdom and gained 23 yards of carry. 

Not to mention that many of the online reviewers gained club head speed but most if not all of them ignored that fact and don’t have the knowledge to dive into that.

For some new drivers may provide better performance and for others they may not. It’s why people need to test for themselves to see if what’s being marketed is true for them or not