TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is Phil Mickelson Golf's Version of Gordon Gekko?

Golf2Much

35 minutes ago, LICC said:

Agree. The worst is not his criticism of the PGA Tour, but the comments that came out from Shipnuck about knowing how horrible are the Saudis but still being ok taking the money.

His statement yesterday just made things worse. This is not about golf needing change. This is about Phil selling out to make even more money.

Phil always tries to play things like he's the smartest guy in the room. 100% backfired on him here.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

Phil always tries to play things like he's the smartest guy in the room. 100% backfired on him here.

image.gif.fc43d624019972849c095540be8e8242.gif

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

18 minutes ago, LICC said:

Agree. The worst is not his criticism of the PGA Tour, but the comments that came out from Shipnuck about knowing how horrible are the Saudis but still being ok taking the money.

His statement yesterday just made things worse. This is not about golf needing change. This is about Phil selling out to make even more money.

Well, to be fair, Phil does believe that the PGA's revenue stream is unfair to the players.  I can't say for certain that his continued pokes at Jay Monahan et.al. are the catalyst for Jay's announcement to the players yesterday, at the mandatory meeting (Honda Classic), that more money is heading their way, but one could argue the case.  Heck, even Chamblee stated last night that HUGE increases are heading to tour golfers - though that may be more the influence of gambling related revenue?

Make no mistake that I dislike the manner in which Phil has gone about this.  I mean aside from Tiger, I suspect he's made more money having been part of the PGA than anyone else... and by a wide margin.  Perhaps Norman's WT venue was just a handy tool for leverage but the way he's gone about using it is simply a scorched earth tactic. Maybe he is also dealing with some unknown personal challenges that contributed to his chosen path?  Pat Perez's comments certainly suggested there may be something going on in his personal life.

Anyway, at this point in the saga, I'm still hopeful Phil finds his way through this and comes out a better person for it.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

33 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, to be fair, Phil does believe that the PGA's revenue stream is unfair to the players.  I can't say for certain that his continued pokes at Jay Monahan et.al. are the catalyst for Jay's announcement to the players yesterday, at the mandatory meeting (Honda Classic), that more money is heading their way, but one could argue the case.  Heck, even Chamblee stated last night that HUGE increases are heading to tour golfers - though that may be more the influence of gambling related revenue?

Make no mistake that I dislike the manner in which Phil has gone about this.  I mean aside from Tiger, I suspect he's made more money having been part of the PGA than anyone else... and by a wide margin.  Perhaps Norman's WT venue was just a handy tool for leverage but the way he's gone about using it is simply a scorched earth tactic. Maybe he is also dealing with some unknown personal challenges that contributed to his chosen path?  Pat Perez's comments certainly suggested there may be something going on in his personal life.

Anyway, at this point in the saga, I'm still hopeful Phil finds his way through this and comes out a better person for it.

Agree with this take.  I've always been a huge Phil fan.  Loved the "Go For Broke" style, even when it sometimes backfired.  I disagree with the "He's a fake..." opinions.  I saw him genuinely interact with my son (any many other people, young and old) in person at the Tour Championship several years ago and it cemented what I had hoped was true about Phil.

My opinion on this deal is that he was trying to use Norman and the SGL as leverage to gain concessions from the PGA Tour which would have benefitted him, but also all of the other players.  Of course it's about money; it always is about money at some level.  He shouldn't have confided in Shipnuck.  Not because Alan is a bad guy in this, but because Phil should have played his cards WAY closer to his vest.  It'll tarnish Phil a bit for a while, may cost him a chance to be a Ryder Cup Captain, which would be a shame, but ultimately it won't be much of a story in a year or two.  Tiger has crawled out from under some pretty shady stuff, Phil will too.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

11 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

Agree with this take.  I've always been a huge Phil fan.  Loved the "Go For Broke" style, even when it sometimes backfired.  I disagree with the "He's a fake..." opinions.  I saw him genuinely interact with my son (any many other people, young and old) in person at the Tour Championship several years ago and it cemented what I had hoped was true about Phil.

It's great that Phil was awesome with your son, gives him a nice memory to have. But doesn't change the fact that his "fake" persona has been called out for years and this whole debacle just cements it even more. Great golfer, certainly a personality, but he's really showed his true colors here. Who a person is when he's not directly in front of the public often tends to be a more realistic version of them. And we're seeing that here. 

Well that was quite an 'apology' he made. It's interesting that he plans to step away a while to get his life back in order. Mote it sisn't take long for KPMG to drop him. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

11 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

It's great that Phil was awesome with your son, gives him a nice memory to have. But doesn't change the fact that his "fake" persona has been called out for years and this whole debacle just cements it even more. Great golfer, certainly a personality, but he's really showed his true colors here. Who a person is when he's not directly in front of the public often tends to be a more realistic version of them. And we're seeing that here. 

True but we've seen that with other big name golfers and many, many other public personalities.  Not making excuses for Phil but there does seem to be different standards used in the court of public opinion.  Their people who, like all of us, have flaws and make poor choices.

41 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

My opinion on this deal is that he was trying to use Norman and the SGL as leverage to gain concessions from the PGA Tour which would have benefitted him, but also all of the other players.  Of course it's about money; it always is about money at some level.  He shouldn't have confided in Shipnuck.  Not because Alan is a bad guy in this, but because Phil should have played his cards WAY closer to his vest.  It'll tarnish Phil a bit for a while, may cost him a chance to be a Ryder Cup Captain, which would be a shame, but ultimately it won't be much of a story in a year or two.  Tiger has crawled out from under some pretty shady stuff, Phil will too.

I see how the changes he wants would benefit him and a handful of other players, but not all the other players. The things he wants, like shared media rights, would probably hurt the majority of the players.

46 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

+100, lots of people are great actors. “Sincerity is the key to success. Once you can fake that you’ve got it made.” Groucho Marx

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I don't think this has been about money other than money being a way to keep score.  I think Norman and Mickelson are interested in power and the golf world is the place they think they can wield it. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I guess Phil will be a little busy with the time he's taken off from the tour to "reflect" on his PGA Tour and Saudi comments.   This week he was dumped by KPMG, Amstel and Workday.   Then late today Callaway "paused" their relationship with Mickelson (no longer paying him).  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

On 2/5/2022 at 9:38 AM, Middler said:

+1. He’s played the PR game well all along.

I think he has played pretty good golf during his career.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Damn if he isn’t getting his teeth kicked in sponsor-wise this week.  Callaway and the American Express now giving him the boot too.  Not saying he didn’t have it coming though…

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Phil really did stick his foot in his mouth and came across extremely poor with his comments about the money given the country that is financing it.  

With some of the discussion points coming out about the PGA Tour I've heard some things I never knew and it has me searching for more info...Like....

How are the pro's independent contractors but there is a pension plan for them and how is it legal for the tour to ban them from playing on another tour...that sounds 'exclusive' and more 'employee' than 'independent contractor'.   

How is the PGA Tour a non-profit with all the sponsorship money, TV money, ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. resulting in about a $70M annual net income and $1.2 Billion in assets.

Phil mentioned the requirement to pay the PGA tour a licensing fee for televising an exhibition match which was not put on by the PGA Tour.  I can't believe that would be true or wouldn't the PGA, US Open and Masters also have to pay that TV licensing fee as well?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

12 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Phil really did stick his foot in his mouth and came across extremely poor with his comments about the money given the country that is financing it.  

With some of the discussion points coming out about the PGA Tour I've heard some things I never knew and it has me searching for more info...Like....

How are the pro's independent contractors but there is a pension plan for them and how is it legal for the tour to ban them from playing on another tour...that sounds 'exclusive' and more 'employee' than 'independent contractor'.   

How is the PGA Tour a non-profit with all the sponsorship money, TV money, ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. resulting in about a $70M annual net income and $1.2 Billion in assets.

Phil mentioned the requirement to pay the PGA tour a licensing fee for televising an exhibition match which was not put on by the PGA Tour.  I can't believe that would be true or wouldn't the PGA, US Open and Masters also have to pay that TV licensing fee as well?

Yes, those statements raised the same questions for me as well 🤔. As with so many things in the world of big business, consistency and easy explanations are the exception to the rule.  Phil may very well end up being remembered most as the star witness for Norman/LIV efforts to break-up the PGA.

19 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

The Tour is an "association", and th2 players choose to become members.  That choice gives them certain privileges, and requires certain things from them.  You can read some stuff about the rights and responsibilities of each side here:

https://qualifying.pgatourhq.com/static-assets/uploads/2019-2020-pga-tour-handbook--regs-09_10_19.pdf

In my mind, the players ARE independent contractors, up until the point where they decide to become members of the PGA Tour.  Up until that point, they can play in any event they want, go anywhere in the world, produce and market their own media, all of that.  Of course, if they want to play a PGA Tour event, they may have to go through Monday qualifying.  If they want to play the US Open, and they're not on one of the pre-qualified lists, they have to start the qualifying process at square one.  And I wouldn't bet that these independent contractors are going to be playing for big prize money, at least until the Saudi tour really does get going.  So players have voluntarily decided to become PGA Tour members, and give up some of those freedoms in return for inclusion in the very lucrative PGA Tour competitions.  The tour has seemingly made choices that will benefit the majority of players, the Daniel Bergers and Charlie Howells, rather than the small minority that form the top 10, or that are famous because they were once in the top 10.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 2/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, jlukes said:

Phil has always been out for himself. He’s a politician that always leaned into his phony “man of the people” vibe. 

FIGJAM is finally exposing himself for what he’s always been 

FIGJAM----- You have been hanging out on WRX haven't you?????

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

One thing that was pointed out at the start of this thread. You can not compare the earnings of people like Palmer and Nicklaus across the board to Phil and Tiger. To properly do so you have to add in the rate for inflation.

Me personally I am not into politics. Now I do vote for our leaders But in the golf world I do not hate on a player because of his equipment or other sponsors. I do not explore enough to point out or even think about things like the mentioned "Dirty Nike money" I mean I know it is fact but I do not think about it. 

Now I like watching Phil play "Army Golf" right left and getting out of trouble and somehow pulling it off. Now personally I do not approve of what is going on now with him. I have heard what he said and I think personally he may have mental problems for what ever reasons. But I think in his position with all the sponsors etc he should have kept his mouth shut. In this case I think he may have put his mouth in gear before engaging his brain. I just selfishly hate that now we may not be able to watch him play as much like I said he is exciting to watch for me

And Rev and MPR are going to love this--- This comes from me who these days has to constantly ask the Lord to put his arm around my shoulder and his hand over my mouth. Yeah I have stepped off in it quite a bit in the past and put my foot in my mouth. Now days since my accident and getting older I have gotten worse. I have had to pray that 3 or 4 times a day every day. My wife says in all seriousness I did hit my head harder than the Docs think----- And yes on this last paragraph I am not being funny in any way I am being as serious as a heart attack. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'll bet the long term $$ impact from sponsors for Phil will be greater than any $$ earned from the new Saudi league. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

19 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I'll bet the long term $$ impact from sponsors for Phil will be greater than any $$ earned from the new Saudi league. 

Maybe, but Emirates Airlines could soon be adorning his polo shirt sleeves and LIV replacing KPMG on his hats, so that should help a little.

Emirates Airlines logo and icon, Emirates Airlines brand colors - logotyp.us

LIV Golf Investments | LinkedIn

On 2/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, jlukes said:

Phil has always been out for himself. He’s a politician that always leaned into his phony “man of the people” vibe. 

FIGJAM is finally exposing himself for what he’s always been 

Fake politician is the most accurate take I've heard in a while.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Maybe, but Emirates Airlines could soon be adorning his polo shirt sleeves and LIV replacing KPMG on his hats, so that should help a little.

Emirates Airlines logo and icon, Emirates Airlines brand colors - logotyp.us

LIV Golf Investments | LinkedIn

Maybe - but after he was quoted calling them bad MF'ers who kill homosexuals and executed Jamal Khashoggi, I would imagine they don't like him nearly as much as they did a few weeks ago. 

Big question is if PXG has the same bonus structure for the Champions tour ($1 mil if you win with the driver...) because Phil would love to chase that money and it would be true irony for Phil and Bob Parson to become friends. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

FWIW, I don't think Phil loses his "lifetime" contract with Callaway over this. They have so much tied into him that I think they'll take this "pause" and wait for things to calm down. We won't be seeing him in any ads for quite some time, however Callaway has sunk so much into him over the years that I don't think they'll walk away entirely. I could be very off with this, but when you have a relationship that's got so much history with someone who's tied into the brand as much as Phil is, it's tough to sever that relationship.

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Nope. It’s a name hes earned. His fellow golfers and members of the media refer to him by that title as well

Oh yeah I know the story-- I was yanking your chain some you know I am like that🤣

G

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Yep I was thinking the exact same thing

G

47 minutes ago, TBS said:

Maybe - but after he was quoted calling them bad MF'ers who kill homosexuals and executed Jamal Khashoggi. I would imagine they don't like him nearly as much as they did a few weeks ago. 

Big question is if PXG has the same bonus structure for the Champions tour ($1 mil if you win with the driver...) because it would be true irony for Phil and Bob Parson to become friends next. 

I do not think that will happen due to Mr Parsons being an ex Marine

G

17 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

FWIW, I don't think Phil loses his "lifetime" contract with Callaway over this. They have so much tied into him that I think they'll take this "pause" and wait for things to calm down. We won't be seeing him in any ads for quite some time, however Callaway has sunk so much into him over the years that I don't think they'll walk away entirely. I could be very off with this, but when you have a relationship that's got so much history with someone who's tied into the brand as much as Phil is, it's tough to sever that relationship.

Just depends on the "morals clause" if there is one in the contract--- IMHO Callaway has maybe taken the "pause in the relationship" to reflect on the legal ramifications on nixing the contract. Then again I may be totally in left field past the parking lot on that. I know some people have gotten totally stupid on the subject of Callaway and Phil. Have seen some on FB saying they will never buy or play Cally equipment again because of Phil. IMHO that reason is totally silly and child like

G

Callaway is in a bind. I don't think they want to lose Phil, but with the other sponsors breaking away, if they don't do something they risk looking like they're supporting the Saudis by being the outlier. "Pause", rather than "break", lets them see how the PR develops. 

(Edit for grammar.)

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Social media and the court of public opinion, at times, has some not so nice parallels with Salem, MA in 1692 😐 .

Phil hasn't committed crimes against humanity but rather made some poor decisions and comments in his attempt to change PGA policies he does not agree with. NFL, MLB, and NBA players have unions to battle for policy changes they wish to see.  Based on what I understand of how the PGA players operate under the PGA, they are somewhat on their own to enact changes (i.e. Hoffman's latest issue on rules). I'd be very surprised if no other PGA players agree with what Phil is trying to get changed.  I'd be surprised that he's not had these discussions with fellow players leading up to the mess. Of course, at this point, none would likely state as such simply because of the toxic situation; but I suspect a number of them support the idea.

Throwing this out as for perspective... which often gets lost in the social media feeding frenzy.