TESTERS WANTED! ×

What goes on in your head when you slice?

Hey all!

I’m doing research for a golf book and wanted to know:

What are the words you find yourself saying to yourself after an ugly slice?

What are the feelings you have? Where do you feel them?

Those little phrases that bounce around in your head… Destroying your game…

This new book is going to have targeted exercises and routines based on exactly what you’re experiencing - So the more specific the better.

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Interesting…

That's one word to describe it 😆.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

At first, self-loathing, then quickly concern for my fellow man takes over and I try to access if anyone within the county is in danger.   If so, I scream "fore", if not I will mutter a couple words that the moderator would blip out.   

Then I watch the ball until it comes to a stop or it disappears into the abyss where I try to fix on exactly where it disappeared.   I'm usually off by ten yards.   At this moment, self-loathing returns.

Snap hooks are equally as bad.   Just don't last as long.

Physically, my forehead gets hot.   Seriously,  I've noticed that when I play badly, my forehead is hot (not a fever).    But no, applying something cool to this spot doesn't turn things around,  need to cool down from the inside out, if you know what I mean.

Depends on the group I'm with, to be honest. 

My normal playing partners, I tend to joke about it along the lines of "looks like I'm playing a power fade today." 

For some who make me way too competitive, I'll think "shoot" and get in my head. 

Overall, the average tends to be alon the lines of "ah well, let's figure out the next shot."

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I tend to use 'Navy words'

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

I used to be a huge slicer with the driver, but have totally fixed it.................................... now I have a straight left pull! What used to go through my head is I didn't turn on the ball and then I'd spout a few expletives. 

Edited by Headhammer

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Samething that goes thru my head when I hook a shot, block one, thin or chunk one which is pretty much nothing and I just worry about the next shot when I get to my ball

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Same. My miss is a hook and pretty much always has been. 

I used to have a huge slice or pull left.  I decided I didn't want to play that way and that if I couldn't eliminate it, I would give up the game.  That was 20 years ago.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

16 hours ago, mattthegolfer said:

Hey all!

This new book is going to have targeted exercises and routines based on exactly what you’re experiencing - So the more specific the better.

I’ve thought about this question for a few days and find myself wondering what the angle of your book is going to be.   Also, based on comments people don’t always hit a slice as their bad shot.  Since you focused on slice, I am guessing you are targeting you mental health/mental preparation book on the newer golfer who, typically slices.

so let’s go down the general bad shot route.  What I internalize really depends on where in the round it happens or if I have been hitting that shot frequently during the round.  What I say out loud will depend on who playing partners are and how comfortable I am around them.  I don’t have any particular phrases, just mostly expressions of mental frustration.  

the real question I think you should be asking is what do you do as you are preparing for the next shot.  Are you mentally in the right place and is that last shot gone from your mind.  These are the types of things that Bob Rotella discusses in his books and the mental preparations that Scott Fawcett talks about in DECADE via the teachings of Brett McCabe.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

for me it is usually saying something not nice to myself.  then after i calm down i tell myself to stop being lazy and follow through.

when i was younger my slice happen because i cleared my lower body too quick and my arms couldn't catch up.  now i slice when i'm lazy and don't clear my body and follow through.   i go over the top and don't clear fast enough.....lazy swing.

15 hours ago, SlowNLow said:

At first, self-loathing, then quickly concern for my fellow man takes over and I try to access if anyone within the county is in danger.   If so, I scream "fore", if not I will mutter a couple words that the moderator would blip out.   

Then I watch the ball until it comes to a stop or it disappears into the abyss where I try to fix on exactly where it disappeared.   I'm usually off by ten yards.   At this moment, self-loathing returns.

Snap hooks are equally as bad.   Just don't last as long.

Physically, my forehead gets hot.   Seriously,  I've noticed that when I play badly, my forehead is hot (not a fever).    But no, applying something cool to this spot doesn't turn things around,  need to cool down from the inside out, if you know what I mean.

@ the rest of yous... THIS is an example of a good response. 😉 lol

52 minutes ago, mattthegolfer said:

What problem did you run into AFTER you fixed your slice/pull? 🙂

LOL  As a beginner golfer at age 45, I had all kinds of problems.  I thought I could play this game by watching others and just playing.  I was wrong.    It wasn't until I took lessons that I eliminated the slice.  The lessons also fixed other problems, but not all.  I've been working on my swing for 25 years.  By concern at the moment is an inconsistent strike on the ball.  With the driver my tendency is to hit low on the club face.  Ball goes straight-ish, but not my usual distance.  With irons my tendency is to hit fat-ish, which also loses distance.  Generally, these issues arise at the most inopportune times (corollary to Murphy's Law).  🙄  My feeling is frustration because I know I can execute the shots.  If I play another ball, the results will usually be perfect.  I call that my "dumbass shot"... as in "Well, why didn't you do that the first time Dumbass?"

I can usually let the frustration go by the time I get to the next shot, but if I string several poor strikes in a row, the frustration mounts and my game goes south for the rest of the round.  I tend to "give up" because I know that I will not be able bring the score back to my usual number.  I am not a golfer that makes many birdies... if any.  A good game for me requires eliminating doubles or worse and using my short game to salvage pars or only get a bogeys.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

"Gambling is illegal at Bushwood, Sir, and I never slice!"

Seriously, that's what I think of.  I play well over a hundred rounds a year and, for the most part, the only slices I hit are intentional for recovery purposes.  But maybe a half a dozen times a year I'll get a little bit too close to the hosel and, UGH!  There it is!  And, yep, the Judge Smails quote is the first thing that goes through my mind.  

21 hours ago, mattthegolfer said:

Hey all!

Doesn't matter whether it's a slice, hook or sky ball - the first words are WTF. Then after calming down I quickly review my notes on my phone so that the same doesn't happen on the next hole. Note; using this approach I can generally quickly diagnose what happened and how to correct. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

9 hours ago, Paul Hedrick said:

I tend to use 'Navy words'

For those of you unfamiliar with 'Navy words', they were the vernacular of US Navy personnel when I served.  Not suited for mixed company.  When I first separated, it took me a long time to get past it.  Now as I age, and getting closer to retirement, I find myself slipping back into that way of talking, especially when I slice!  LOL

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

With irons I am working on not coming over the top. With the driver being a longer club (and me being about 5'-9") the swing plane is flatter and it is much easier for me to come from the inside. So I tend to draw the ball if I am coming from the inside or pull it if I get over the top. My preferred shot shape is to start the ball down the right side and draw it to the middle of the fairway. I have a target line where I focus on a spot several feet in front of the ball. 

If after contact I see the ball fading to the right, I have made the connection that I forgot to focus on my target. So somewhere between my take-away, backswing and down swing, my mind wandered and I lost sight of my target point in from of the ball.

I have also made the observation that if right before impact I have that target point on my mind then I have the clubface in a good position to keep the ball in or near the fairway. So to me it comes down to concentration. In my youth I would just swing at it and wondered why it usually faded or sliced.

Honestly a little depressed that it continues to happen.  But I tend to try and focus on my next shot once I find my ball. 

Driver- Ping G425 SFT set at 9deg, Even Flow Project X 6.0-S 65g shaft cut 1/2 inch shorter

2 Hybrid- Ping G425 

3 Hybrid- Cleveland Launcher HB

4-PW- Mizuno JPK 921 HM

GW- Cleveland CBX

SW- Cleveland RTX-3

LW- Taylormade RAC Bkack

Putter- Odessey DFX #7

Ball- Taylormade Tour Response/Striped 

I used to get mad and hit my club on the ground with some added expletives. 

Now I understand I will never be good enough to get mad and it’s more fun to have fun. So, if the ball is going deep in the hazard, I’ll wave and say goodbye. Or I make a self deprecating joke. I still get mad in my head especially if I’m having a good round but I immediately try to change my thinking to make a bogey and keep playing. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

18 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Same. My miss is a hook and pretty much always has been. 

Same here, so when I do, I say what the hell was that!?!?

My WITB:

Driver - Taylormade SLDR TP 10*

3 Wood - Tour Edge CB2 15*
Irons - Wilson Staff V2 4-pw

Wedges - Wilson Staff 54* & 58*
Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

Ball - Wilson Staff Duo Spin or Soft

The first thing that pops into my head is how can I do that again?

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Lol, not again!

Worst thing for me is to try to diagnose what went wrong, which can quickly get me on track to snap hook or otherwise mishit for the remainder of the round. I'm better off if I just try to slow my swing down or quiet my movement. For me the big push-slice comes from trying too hard to load up and getting blocked, and if I try too hard to correct it I end up going over the top and snap hooking left from that.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex

I usually think to myself, “you idiot, you know better.” Slice is rare for me. 

The snap hook on the other hand, “son of a mother ******” “hopefully thats the only one today”. Snap hooks are my miss but not to common.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

23 hours ago, mattthegolfer said:

Hey all!

Words after an ugly slice?  Not too many, usually its some sort of self-analysis.  

Feelings?  Used to be heart-felt angst that could easily get me down.  As they are much less frequent, it is a self realization that “bad shots happen”, now it’s time to figure how best to resolve. 

Where do so feel them? Sometimes a gut punch, others it’s just “oh well” and it’s gone.  

Slicing was my life when first starting.  Through live and learn and some good instruction, slicing is less an issue these days.  Power fades (controlled slices) are more the norm for me.  The game for me is about enjoying the moments and memories.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls.