What goes on in your head when you slice?

Nothing good. Usually WAY too many swing thoughts that generally screw things up.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

With irons I am working on not coming over the top. With the driver being a longer club (and me being about 5'-9") the swing plane is flatter and it is much easier for me to come from the inside. So I tend to draw the ball if I am coming from the inside or pull it if I get over the top. My preferred shot shape is to start the ball down the right side and draw it to the middle of the fairway. I have a target line where I focus on a spot several feet in front of the ball. 

If after contact I see the ball fading to the right, I have made the connection that I forgot to focus on my target. So somewhere between my take-away, backswing and down swing, my mind wandered and I lost sight of my target point in from of the ball.

I have also made the observation that if right before impact I have that target point on my mind then I have the clubface in a good position to keep the ball in or near the fairway. So to me it comes down to concentration. In my youth I would just swing at it and wondered why it usually faded or sliced.

I used to get mad and hit my club on the ground with some added expletives. 

Now I understand I will never be good enough to get mad and it’s more fun to have fun. So, if the ball is going deep in the hazard, I’ll wave and say goodbye. Or I make a self deprecating joke. I still get mad in my head especially if I’m having a good round but I immediately try to change my thinking to make a bogey and keep playing. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

18 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Same. My miss is a hook and pretty much always has been. 

Same here, so when I do, I say what the hell was that!?!?

My WITB:

Driver - Taylormade SLDR TP 10*

3 Wood - Tour Edge CB2 15*
Irons - Wilson Staff V2 4-pw

Wedges - Wilson Staff 54* & 58*
Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

Ball - Wilson Staff Duo Spin or Soft

The first thing that pops into my head is how can I do that again?

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Lol, not again!

Worst thing for me is to try to diagnose what went wrong, which can quickly get me on track to snap hook or otherwise mishit for the remainder of the round. I'm better off if I just try to slow my swing down or quiet my movement. For me the big push-slice comes from trying too hard to load up and getting blocked, and if I try too hard to correct it I end up going over the top and snap hooking left from that.

• Like 1

I usually think to myself, “you idiot, you know better.” Slice is rare for me. 

The snap hook on the other hand, “son of a mother ******” “hopefully thats the only one today”. Snap hooks are my miss but not to common.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

23 hours ago, mattthegolfer said:

Hey all!

I’m doing research for a golf book and wanted to know:

What are the words you find yourself saying to yourself after an ugly slice?

What are the feelings you have? Where do you feel them?

Those little phrases that bounce around in your head… Destroying your game…

This new book is going to have targeted exercises and routines based on exactly what you’re experiencing - So the more specific the better.

Words after an ugly slice?  Not too many, usually its some sort of self-analysis.  

Feelings?  Used to be heart-felt angst that could easily get me down.  As they are much less frequent, it is a self realization that “bad shots happen”, now it’s time to figure how best to resolve. 

Where do so feel them? Sometimes a gut punch, others it’s just “oh well” and it’s gone.  

Slicing was my life when first starting.  Through live and learn and some good instruction, slicing is less an issue these days.  Power fades (controlled slices) are more the norm for me.  The game for me is about enjoying the moments and memories.  

WITB? :taylormade-small:10.5deg SLDR (R flex),  :taylormade-small:3HL/17 SLDR Series (R flex),:taylormade-small: 5/19 SLDR Series (R flex), :taylormade-small: 4h/22 SLDR Series (R flex), :callaway-small: DIablo graphite shaft irons (5 (R flex), 6-PW (A flex)), :cleveland-small: CBX 50, 54,& 58 wedges - graphite, :odyssey-small: White Iron 5 putter.   

9 minutes ago, Jim N said:

Lol, not again!

Worst thing for me is to try to diagnose what went wrong, which can quickly get me on track to snap hook or otherwise mishit for the remainder of the round. I'm better off if I just try to slow my swing down or quiet my movement. For me the big push-slice comes from trying too hard to load up and getting blocked, and if I try too hard to correct it I end up going over the top and snap hooking left from that.

Yes, that's the worst thing to do.  Sometimes a bad swing just happens; pros do it and move on.  When we start diagnosing on the course, make a change; we don't trust our swings end up struggling the whole round.  Been down that road.  Just set up as you practiced and play what you have for the day.  Figure it out afterwards.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Air!! Goes In One Ear & Out the Other!!

A 4 Letter Word that starts with F...!!

Emotion That is Red in Colour!!

Am certain you will be a Successful Short Story Writer!!

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

That's one word to describe it 😆.

It goes along well with…

”BALL!!!”

and 

“Oh, FFS Alan, what the …. Was that?”

when it is on purpose…

”Bubba would have loved that”

• Haha 1

I don't typically slice the ball.  It's probably best if I don't share what goes through my head at that moment when one creeps into my game.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at N) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*)-- Mitishibishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 19* and 24* -- Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R +1/2 inch 3* up

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 52*, 56* and 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX  

:Arccos:

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

7 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Doesn't matter whether it's a slice, hook or sky ball - the first words are WTF. Then after calming down I quickly review my notes on my phone so that the same doesn't happen on the next hole. Note; using this approach I can generally quickly diagnose what happened and how to correct. 

That's so true.  In the first few seconds after processing result, I feel like after all of this time of playing decent golf, I reverted back to infancy. Whaaat just happened?

Remember infancy? we were all a mess back then.

One thing I'd like to add, one skill that goes unappreciated in golf is being able to find our golf ball after a horrible shot. Huge stroke saver.

Edited by SlowNLow
  • Like 1

My first thought when my brand new ball starts veering to the right is "WHY?". I immediately start thinking through my swing checklist and wonder what I didn't do correctly.

I believe someone else mentioned this too but I get a little hot temperature wise sometimes too. Strange but it's happened a few times. Especially on the first tee when there always seems to be a crowd watching me tee off. 

Typically it’s my tempo. I get to quick not allowing my  shoulders and hips to turn. Or I really emphasize the over the top swing. I can be heard a few times referring to myself in the third person which can be comical 

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

I usually say something like “come on Ben” or “you moron” if it’s really bad. Then I’m immediately in “can I find it” mode then try to move on to “how do I minimize the damage here?” mode 

• Like 1

A good friend's response is "Where in the world did that come from?".

He is not playing right now for medical reasons but thanks for reminding me of the great response.