TESTERS WANTED! ×

Unofficial Review - Sub70 699 Pro Utility Iron

TylerC31

Intro: 

As someone who struggles with non-driver tee shots, I've tried a lot of different clubs on shorter, tighter tee shots that driver where driver isn't an option. My default ball flight is a draw, and I don't hit fades very well, adding an extra layer of complexity on dogleg rights. I was watching some guys on instagram one day and decided that I should try a utility iron off of the tee. After reading the MGS most wanted utility iron testing, I decided to go with the Sub70 699 pro as a highly-rated value option from a company I had been hoping to try out. 

My Game: 

As I said in the intro, I almost exclusively hit a draw. My club path is fairly inside the ball from growing up playing baseball. Driver SS hovers between 118-122 most days. I tend to hit the ball pretty high with more spin than I'd like. The courses I play in and around Athens, GA are either wide open and very long (UGA) or shorter and tighter at some of the local courses. The driving iron was aimed more at the local courses. 

My Order: 

I ended up choosing the 17* 2 iron laying 1* flat with a graphite HZRDUS black x-stiff shaft and a lamkin crossline oversize grip. The total ended up being $130 and I was told to expect custom orders to take 2 weeks. 

First Impressions: 

The club came well ahead of the estimated delivery date, arriving in a little over a week. The club came well-packaged in a box filled with a handwritten note from the owner, a ball marker, and some stickers. The club was bubble-wrapped and in perfect condition. The club itself is beautiful. It is a muted satin finish with clean lines. The club doesn't appear to be too bulky while standing over the ball. 

On the Course: 

As soon as I got the club, I had to go to the course and test it out. On the range, I immediately noticed the difference in ball flight the club gave me. The ball was a lower, left-to-right fade ball flight that complimented the rest of my bag perfectly. The club provides good feedback, as I could tell almost exactly where I hit every shot based on the feel. The sound is a muted thwack, giving the impression that the club head is very solid. It does not feel any heavier than a normal iron, as I felt like I could take an aggressive swing with it every time I stepped up. On the course, the club played exactly as it seemed it would on the range. The distance settled in somewhere around the 5-wood range off the tee, though this was with me taking very aggressive swings. The most notable performance aspect was that mishits from low on the face still did quite well, producing a very straight, low ball flight with ample run out, staying in the air long enough to help cancel out some of the mishit. The club has stayed in my bag for the past two months now and has consistently performed this way. Of note, the only time I use this club is off of the tee as I have not found myself in many situations where I would use this club from the fairway. 

Final Impressions: 

Overall, I would recommend this club as a great value option. I have not ever hit other utility irons to compare it to, but compared to the hybrids I have replaced with this club, this is perfect for someone who desires a more tee-oriented club that will not produce high hooks. For the price, I would be hard-pressed justifying other utility irons over this one, especially if it is your first time trying to put one in your bag. This club costs about half of what other highly-rated utility irons do and still offers quality club construction, good shaft options, and a large array of grips. Overall, this club lives up to the hype. 10/10 would recommend to anyone looking for this profile of club. 

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 9.41.45 AM.png

Driver: Callaway  Paradym Triple Diamond (8) - Accra Tour Z RPG Tour M5+

3-Wood: Stealth 2 (15) - HZRDUS Black 6.5

5-wood: Paradym Triple Diamond (18.5) - Accra Tour Z RPG Tour M5+

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5

Wedges: Mizuno T24 Copper (50), Cleveland RTX Zipcore (56,60)

Putter: Odyssey Triple Track Eleven

Not the kind of club that a hacker like me would ever need, but good info and nice to see you've found something that works just right for you!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 2/6/2022 at 12:32 PM, cksurfdude said:

Not the kind of club that a hacker like me would ever need, but good info and nice to see you've found something that works just right for you!

They have a regular 699U that is really easy to hit. I tried quite a few different ones and it’s the easiest one to hit I tried.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

• 1 year later...

Mine is on the way - ordered on Monday.  I am curious, are you still using this utility club? 

I don't play too often anymore and have never been comfortable with my 3-wood. This would replace it. I like supporting new and upstart companies and have a Sub 70 putter, which I love. I believe they make really good quality equipment and would be interested to hear your thoughts over year later!  

Thank you, Rob Kimball (Belmont, NC) 

Rob Kimball 

Titleist 917D2

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 

sub 70 699 pro v2 utility

Mizuno MP-25 irons 

Kirkland wedge set (SERIOUSLY, they are great!) 

Sub 70 Sycamore 8802 style putter 

Ordered the 4 iron, liked the fact that the shaft I was fit to in my irons was a no charge upgrade and no or minimal charge for my standard grip as well. Getting tired of the massive G700 head on my frankenstein 4/DI. 

Intrigued with the idea of the 15 degree 2 iron which the website mentions has some minor bulge and/or roll on the face... But doubt I have the swing speed and ball striking skill most days to use it effectively. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0