TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Body Is Least Responsible for Squaring The Clubface According To Athletic Motion Golf

AMG seem to have some proof that shows it's an apparent myth about the clubface being squared by body from around P6- P7.

So the idea that the clubface must be square to the club path by P6 and then let the body rotate to square the clubface by impact is highly questionable.

Edited by Wildthing

Another example that the talking heads on tv have no clue what they are taking about in the swing. One of the few that does is Duval.

Shows that they aren’t holding lag and that arms moving down and right arm is extending as the wrists lose angle this morning holding lag

also demonstrated by Monte on his recent instagram post 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZmkPmIpw8d/?utm_medium=copy_link

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Another example that the talking heads on tv have no clue what they are taking about in the swing. One of the few that does is Duval.

Shows that they aren’t holding lag and that arms moving down and right arm is extending as the wrists lose angle this morning holding lag

Lag is the single biggest myth in golf. Mark Crossfield’s biggest pet peeve is how there are still coaches, publications and analysts that preach lag

37 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Lag is the single biggest myth in golf. Mark Crossfield’s biggest pet peeve is how there are still coaches, publications and analysts that preach lag

Yep and so many golfers try and chase it based on some 2d images the “experts” show or go off what a pro says they feel/do. Sergio says he feels like he pulls on a chain but I’ve seen several instructors show his swing and he’s not even close to doing that and is doing the same thing Monte is showing in the video.

Just another reason I tune out most of the tv commentary when watching golf

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I'm confused about your post as this thread isn't about lag.

9 hours ago, Wildthing said:

I'm confused about your post as this thread isn't about lag.

It was an additional comment because if you listen to the video they talk about the wrist angle losing set. So while it addresses the body not squaring the club it also demonstrates that they don’t hold lag. Trail elbow is extending and wrists are uncocking. Therefore I’m pointing out it’s another examplE about the myth of holding lag

Its a good video that shows a lot about how the swing works from setup to impact and not just that the body isn’t what squares the club face but how the chest, hips, arms and wrists work together in the swing.

It’s also a good video demonstrating that there isn’t one way to swing and that what one type of swing does will need to be different from what a different swing does. A DJ swing vs a Rory swing vs a JT swing vs a Rickie Fowler vs a Matt Wolff. All of them have different swings and use the the chest, hips, wrists and arms differently 

On 2/6/2022 at 1:17 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

It was an additional comment because if you listen to the video they talk about the wrist angle losing set. So while it addresses the body not squaring the club it also demonstrates that they don’t hold lag. Trail elbow is extending and wrists are uncocking. Therefore I’m pointing out it’s another examplE about the myth of holding lag

Its a good video that shows a lot about how the swing works from setup to impact and not just that the body isn’t what squares the club face but how the chest, hips, arms and wrists work together in the swing.

It’s also a good video demonstrating that there isn’t one way to swing and that what one type of swing does will need to be different from what a different swing does. A DJ swing vs a Rory swing vs a JT swing vs a Rickie Fowler vs a Matt Wolff. All of them have different swings and use the the chest, hips, wrists and arms differently 

I don't think many tour pros hold lots of lag by the time they get to club horizontal (P6) in the downswing , but I suspect they have quite a significant amount by P5.5 (see frame image below of club position)  when the 'In Plane MOF'  (black line) takes over the angular acceleration of the club (ie. one may call this the point of 'Release').  I also think that they are losing lag by a very small amount from top of the backswing P4  to P5.5 but they are definitely not casting from the top . However, they might feel as if they are releasing from the top but they aren't actually losing any significant lag angle.

image.png.60f221be5bd1bcab064e5bf5bd814514.png

Edited by Wildthing

38 minutes ago, Wildthing said:

I don't think many tour pros hold lots of lag by the time they get to club horizontal (P6) in the downswing , but I suspect they have quite a significant amount by P5.5 (see frame image below of club position)  when the 'In Plane MOF'  (black line) takes over the angular acceleration of the club (ie. one may call this the point of 'Release').  I also think that they are losing lag by a very small amount from top of the backswing P4  to P5.5 but they are definitely not casting from the top . However, they might feel as if they are releasing from the top but they aren't actually losing any significant lag angle.

image.png.60f221be5bd1bcab064e5bf5bd814514.png

The video on this thread shows them releasing their wrist set starting at p4 into 5 and almost 1/2 by p6. The trail arm is starting to unfold and the wrist is moving from whatever their maxed into incoming and adding some amount of bow. What I said about the concept of holding lag is exactly that, none are holding or increasing lag they are doing the opposite, yet we see amateurs and talking heads in golf broadcasts talking about holding lag or increasing it on the downswing. Which isn’t what happens.

so yes per the chart, the video in this thread and others I’ve posted in the lpga thread all show what I’ve been saying for about two weeks that speed doesn’t come from the men holding lag and the women not being strong enough to do that, or that holding lag in general doesn’t happen and amateurs need to let that concept  go

1 hour ago, Goober said:

That was a good video. As it comes to holding lag. I would personally think it would require the most nimble; strongest of strongest golfers alive. No way one can hold off the forces of releasing at club at 100 plus miles an hour 

Nobody is trying to hold lag except the amateurs who listen to the quacks on tv who push that thought despite it being debunked for years especially as 3d came into the picture. The video in the Instagram link I posted shows exactly how the wrists move and at no time is there an attempt to hold lag. 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nobody is trying to hold lag except the amateurs who listen to the quacks on tv who push that thought despite it being debunked for years especially as 3d came into the picture. The video in the Instagram link I posted shows exactly how the wrists move and at no time is there an attempt to hold lag. 

Seems so futile. And I think it would lose speed and accuracy. 

9 hours ago, Goober said:

Seems so futile. And I think it would lose speed and accuracy. 

Monte is a long drive champion and at his current age still reaches 120mph swing speed and is the same movement that is described in the amg video and every other video that amg and many other instructors cover.

It’s the way the golf club shallows. 

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Monte is a long drive champion and at his current age still reaches 120mph swing speed and is the same movement that is described in the amg video and every other video that amg and many other instructors cover.

It’s the way the golf club shallows. 

I know guys who are extremely steep. That can flat out annihilate a golf ball. So this steep vs shallow stuff is kinda mush to me. But I’m sure Montez and the guys I know who do so well in our state and local events have perfect impact 

37 minutes ago, Goober said:

I know guys who are extremely steep. That can flat out annihilate a golf ball. So this steep vs shallow stuff is kinda mush to me. But I’m sure Montez and the guys I know who do so well in our state and local events have perfect impact 

There’s lots of ways to skin a cat and the golf swing is about matchups. Gary Woodland and Brooks are steep and have to compensate with some different side bends and hip stalling then some club manipulation to get to impact and post impact to hit the shot shape they want. Even rory has some stalling in the swing. Then there’s Rickie who is laid off and goes some what steep in transitions because it’s hard to go from how laid off he is to a shallower shaft. They all have above average speed.

What the AMG video (even though the focus was on what happens at p6 to impact) and Monte are demonstrating is what has been referred to for many years as dropping into the a lot or the magic move.

Monte posted recently on Instagram that he still fights the pulling of the shaft which is what causes steepness. Trying to hold lag will cause the steepness and over the top. While being steep isn’t the end of the world it’s not the most efficient/effective way and the concept of holding lag is a debunked one that nobody that is good is doing and something too many amateurs think is how swing speed is gained. 

Here’s Poulter on the range watch his wrist at the top and his arms. He’s not getting super shallow which is what most ams think needs to happen when in reality the shaft just needs to shallow a little from where it is at the top.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZejvpWps9e/?utm_medium=copy_link

I really like the AMG guys.  I think they do an awesome job trying to debunk some of the myths and explain what is a very complicated set of data in a meaningful and digestible way.  I wish they did or were able to share some of the names of the players they use, but they do a good job explaining the "type" of swing the player has (or in this case is labeled as having).  

Personally I know everytime I'm at the range (and am feeling dumb) and I "try" to hold my lag I hit a terrible shot.  haha  Helps me to remember that those old adages are out of date.  Just like when we finally learned about all the ball flight laws with trackman that took a while for the talking heads to wrap their head around too.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

I really like the AMG guys.  I think they do an awesome job trying to debunk some of the myths and explain what is a very complicated set of data in a meaningful and digestible way.  I wish they did or were able to share some of the names of the players they use, but they do a good job explaining the "type" of swing the player has (or in this case is labeled as having).  

Personally I know everytime I'm at the range (and am feeling dumb) and I "try" to hold my lag I hit a terrible shot.  haha  Helps me to remember that those old adages are out of date.  Just like when we finally learned about all the ball flight laws with trackman that took a while for the talking heads to wrap their head around too.  

I wish they would share the names too. Even when they drop hints with the players wins or stats I’m like man I’m not digging thru wiki it pga tour website just tell me.

What I like about their content is it’s a mix of instruction, technical aspects of the swing especially the pros vs ams and then some quick hit content for a drill or two if you have problem x.

Sasho Mackenzie was on the Fit for Golf podcast and went into great detail and provided links to an actual study of hundreds of golfers about the wrist hinge being the biggest contributor to swing speed and a large correlation between wrist angle halfway down in the swing (between P5 and P6) and clubhead as well as ball speed. "Holding" lag may not be the ideal concept, but releasing your wrist hinge early in the downswing and around transition significantly limits your clubhead speed at impact. "Holding lag" likely came around as a concept because it is far more common for amatuer golfers to flip or throw the club from the top and lose lag compared to those who manage to hit the balls with excess "lag" and somehow hold the golf club off from releasing. Feeling the opposite is a common approach to fixes in golf. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Here is the link to to 'Fit For Golf' podcast.

Episode #28 - Dr Sasho MacKenzie - Wrist angles & club head speed | Listen Notes

Casting - bad

Actively Holding Lag- bad

Too much lag maybe by increasing your hand speed - bad because you won't have time to release those angles by impact.

It has to match up with the capability of the golfers unique biomechanics to create and release lag optimally to generate the best clubhead speed.

Edited by Wildthing

Going back to that AMG video , I think its important to confirm the point in  DJ's downswing where they measure how open his clubface was to the club path . 

Check these 2  images below from some videos I saw on you-tube.  I superimposed some of the clubhead positions from the top of the backing to about 1 feet into the downswing, then drew a yellow line to approximate the clubface sweet spot path.  The red arrows are what I perceive to be the normal to the clubface  as best I can using these 2D images.

If AMG measured the angle between the red and yellow lines at the top of the backswing it would be the clubhead position on the furthest left .  You can see that it's almost 90  degrees and approximately correlates with their measurement of 88 degrees. I suspect some viewers of that AMG video (even myself) assumed that the bowing of DJ's wrist didn't close the clubface relative to the clubhead path but that was a only for the 1st foot of the downswing.  If you look at the furthest right clubhead image, the red arrow normal to clubface hasn't changed its orientation that much in space but look how the yellow clubhead path has changed. That change in clubhead path has caused the angle between the red arrow and yellow path line to reduce significantly. Therefore I think AMG should have recorded another measurement about 15 inches into the downswing to show how a change in clubhead path caused the clubface to close relative to the path (not any grip roll in the fingers to change the orientation of the clubface).

I know this is not an accurate analysis using 2D images compared to 3D (because of parallax) but its only for about 1 foot in the downswing.

image.png.e611096dc024bab11c98ea468386107b.png

AMG also posted a video linking lag and club head speed to how quickly the player accelerates from the top. Basically, the longer the hitter the sooner his hands reach maximum speed in the downswing. In other words, there is no passive dropping of the club into the slot. It is a hard and fast move. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

16 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

AMG also posted a video linking lag and club head speed to how quickly the player accelerates from the top. Basically, the longer the hitter the sooner his hands reach maximum speed in the downswing. In other words, there is no passive dropping of the club into the slot. It is a hard and fast move. 

I believe I posted that video in the thread about lpga hip speed or whatever that thread title was.

7 hours ago, Wildthing said:

Here are some more images that show the sweet spot path (red line) in the backswing , while the green line is the downswing for about 1 foot.

image.png.b3fdf9e5d84e3fad7d4b727834ed49e6.png

I've enlarged a section of the green line image below:

image.png.a8fadc5b2f9249816fc7735fa050b60d.png

So with that closed of a face at the top. DJ, has to rotate his body open like crazy In the transition. Which will give him an open face feeling. Being that closed would be a disaster for people who have little body rotation. Some may never be able to emulate that in a million years 

1 hour ago, Goober said:

So with that closed of a face at the top. DJ, has to rotate his body open like crazy In the transition. Which will give him an open face feeling. Being that closed would be a disaster for people who have little body rotation. Some may never be able to emulate that in a million years 

Exactly why mimicking a pros swing isn’t a great idea. Unless you move exactly like that pro you can’t do what they do. Dj holds the club off a bit with driver and has some manipulation in his body to hit the ball. 

15 hours ago, Goober said:

Not really because a bowed wrist like DJ when he unhinges his left wrist (ie. ulnar deviation) angulates the shaft back so that he has forward shaft lean approaching impact (which will deloft the clubface). But because he also has a strong grip , the club path will also tend to approach the ball too much from an inside path .  Therefore to counteract that problem (because he wants to fade the ball) and change the club path,  he supinates his lead forearm a little more than a golfer who would have a weaker grip (with a bowed wrist).

Hope that makes sense but to get an idea of what is happening, do the following:

Take a strong grip with the clubface square to the ball at address , then just bow your lead wrist like DJ and see what happens to the club . That will replicate (approximately) what would tend to happen in the downswing closer to impact where obviously your body parts will be differently orientated, but the arm and club unit would be in approximately similar positions.  You should see the club shaft in forward lean and the clubface approaching from a severe inside path . If you were DJ wishing to fade the ball , you would have to correct that inside path , so just supinate your lead forearm a bit and see what happens to the club path (it alters the club path to approach the club from a less inside path).

Basically, approaching impact with a bowed lead wrist coupled with a strong grip will deloft the clubface and create a more inside to out path. 

Edited by Wildthing

Another angle for DJ showing the clubface vs club path for a few inches into the downswing.  These images seem to contradict AMG measurements of 88 degrees open to club path and looks like the clubface is more closed to the club path , so something doesn't make sense . 

I asked Jon Sinclair whether his TPI database shows the same measurements as AMG/Gears and he confirms they are correct . This must mean the clubface must be almost normal to the swing path for a very small distance , maybe not even noticeable in these 2D video images.

PS.  Just got an email from Jon Sinclair and he looked at the you-tube video for the below image and said the following:

"When you look at the video you sent you can see Dustin’s driver head move laterally behind him which would put the face very close to 90 degrees to that path."

This means that AMG were correct to say that DJ's clubface was 88 degrees open to the path at the top of of his backswing but it was only for a few inches and only for an instant. Then it became closed to the path by about ~45  degrees .

image.png.e7b2ed2f9be105b79170eac18865a36c.png

Edited by Wildthing

On 2/12/2022 at 6:55 AM, Wildthing said:

Not really because a bowed wrist like DJ when he unhinges his left wrist (ie. ulnar deviation) angulates the shaft back so that he has forward shaft lean approaching impact (which will deloft the clubface). But because he also has a strong grip , the club path will also tend to approach the ball too much from an inside path .  Therefore to counteract that problem (because he wants to fade the ball) and change the club path,  he supinates his lead forearm a little more than a golfer who would have a weaker grip (with a bowed wrist).

Hope that makes sense but to get an idea of what is happening, do the following:

Take a strong grip with the clubface square to the ball at address , then just bow your lead wrist like DJ and see what happens to the club . That will replicate (approximately) what would tend to happen in the downswing closer to impact where obviously your body parts will be differently orientated, but the arm and club unit would be in approximately similar positions.  You should see the club shaft in forward lean and the clubface approaching from a severe inside path . If you were DJ wishing to fade the ball , you would have to correct that inside path , so just supinate your lead forearm a bit and see what happens to the club path (it alters the club path to approach the club from a less inside path).

Basically, approaching impact with a bowed lead wrist coupled with a strong grip will deloft the clubface and create a more inside to out path. 

I have to really try this when all the snow melts. So basically he is pressuring the shaft with a closed counter winding pressure the entire swing? His positions in slow motion are text book. Maybe the best I’ve ever saw of any tour play past or present. But for the common folk like me. I would honestly be afraid of hooking it off the planet.

18 hours ago, Goober said:

I have to really try this when all the snow melts. So basically he is pressuring the shaft with a closed counter winding pressure the entire swing? His positions in slow motion are text book. Maybe the best I’ve ever saw of any tour play past or present. But for the common folk like me. I would honestly be afraid of hooking it off the planet.

I would too but I can't really bow my wrist so keep it either flat or neutral.  If I tried to bow my lead wrist , I'd tend to do something called circumduction  (ie. a mix of flexion and ulnar deviation that rotates the wrist counterclockwise) which would close the clubface way too much and probably cause an early release too .  Completely unnatural for me and could cause injury to my weak wrists, especially at impact.

Edited by Wildthing

On 2/14/2022 at 8:51 AM, Wildthing said:

I would too but I can't really bow my wrist so keep it either flat or neutral.  If I tried to bow my lead wrist , I'd tend to do something called circumduction  (ie. a mix of flexion and ulnar deviation that rotates the wrist counterclockwise) which would close the clubface way too much and probably cause an early release too .  Completely unnatural for me and could cause injury to my weak wrists, especially at impact.

I would be worried about people emulating this who are over the top steep golfers. With an in grained move like that. The excessive closed face would be a disaster. But again .. I wonder if the body would adapt and produce a nice inside out swing with a draw over time? Knowing it has to make these compensations to keep it in play 

40 minutes ago, Goober said:

I would be worried about people emulating this who are over the top steep golfers. With an in grained move like that. The excessive closed face would be a disaster. But again .. I wonder if the body would adapt and produce a nice inside out swing with a draw over time? Knowing it has to make these compensations to keep it in play 

The body is going to react to where the club face is on every swing. It’s why we all have some sort of compensation in our swings. Some less than others who have more face control throughout the swing. Even DJs swing has body compensations for his swing. He’s just spent way more time than most amateurs working on his swing. People would be surprised how many of the best don’t have perfect swings. Even Adam Scott who everyone considers the perfect swing actually moves away from the ball in his backswing because of where his balance points are and has some slight stall to compensate for clubface positioning

So if someone was going to put on the time to try DJs motion eventually they will develop movement to hit the ball in the direction they want. Will it be optimal? Doubt it.