Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putting routine. Tap/lift. Ground/forward press

I have alway ground the putter and forward press no problem. Learning new  technique  tap the putter and lift  Seem to work well for last few times I was out playing. I went back to my old method forward press and I got yippy   I feel like I have to stick to one method or another they are mutually exclusive   Anyone experience the same?   

In 25 years or so of playing golf I’ve had no where near the amount of changes you have made just in the last year even when I was first learning the game and was super wristy with the putting stroke.

Yes sticking to a method is going to be better than constantly changing. But that method has to be what works for your stroke. The forward press was one thing I used to do and it wasn’t my best putting. It’s a good move to start the putting motion. 

My putting improved a lot once I watched the Pat O’Brien putting videos and combined that with a lesson. Haven’t changed that in 7 years 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I sort of do a tap and lift, but multiple times while i get settled and then hit my putt. Didn't even know that was a thing. Just something i naturally did. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

For 57 years I’ve grounded the putter, no press, no tap, no lift - but I’m not recommending anything. I make sure I’m relaxed, and my wrists don’t move at all (that I know of). But whatever works, putting is probably more an individual thing than any other golf stroke? I know some players experiment more or a lot, again whatever works for each of us. It seems most pros don’t change putters or their methods often unless they run into the yips or other putting afflictions.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Yea I been forward press and feel that I’m twisting the putter open 

However the advantages is I feel I have better rhythm and forward roll when I forward press. When I get to longer length putts it’s seem like I open the face so I been lifting the putter as a trigger to start the motion on the longer putts 

I was practicing today and I think I can still FP and lift during my preputt routine. 

I'd recommend just getting into a routine where you're thinking as little as possible by the time you stroke your putter. It sounds like there's a lot going through your head even when you're using a routine that's familiar to you. What's helped my game the most with my driver and irons and what's always been the trick with my greenside wedges and putter (my best club) is getting it down to a series of less than 5 words, none of which focus on mechanics.

Driver/irons: I just say/think "cowboy" (a joke from my partners about my particular stance that works to keep me from swaying) and "grip" (to make sure I'm not death-gripping the club) as I set up, then "tempo" as I swing to make sure I'm focusing only on my tempo. 

Putter: I have kept the same routine for a long time to lock in my line, so once my line is picked, I set up while saying/thinking "chicken" (I stick my left elbow out to lock my motion, which my partners call me chicken winging it), "point" (to confirm the point that I'm aiming at a few feet in front of me), and "tempo" as I putt since by that point I should only be worrying about pace. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching putting tips from Seve Ballesteros

on YouTube. And he makes putting very simple 

5 footers. SBST. Eyes over the ball symmetrical  backstroke and follow through

15 feet. More arc longer length stroke

30 feet use more wrist in the stroke, not one piece.  Distance more important than line

On 2/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, Riverboat said:

Doesn't sound simple in the least. I love seve, but that would be a nightmare for me. It's basically 3 different strokes. I'll stick with one stroke that just gets shorter as the putt gets shorter. Or at least thinking of it that way. 

I do use his synopsis of the game all the time to calm my mind on the course... I hit the ball, I go find it, I hit it again. 

He also had the greatest explanation of a 4 putt ever when asked to explain it after the round... I miss, I miss, I miss,  I make. 

Agree that a standard putt stroke say for 5 feet and just making the same stroke and lengthening the stroke for longer putts would be easier way to play.  
I find that after a certain length say at 40or 50 feet  I can’t lengthen the stroke any further, I have to apply more tapping energy to the ball for distance by using more hand and wrist 

Read an article on putting once and it suggested you should have a repeatable routine. Mine is, I practice the putt, looking at the hole, 3 times; step up to the ball, ground the club, forward press, execute. 👍

Edited by Lkt4gs