Phil Doubles Down

Addicted2Golf

Orlando Sentinal

Anybody know what two drivers he's playing this time?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

He says the second one doesn't go as far, isn't that what a 3 wood does? Why doesn't he just hit low 3-woods?

The article says that he is bagging a 3w too. The second driver is probably lower loft to deal with the wind. Could be 6.5* He would lose distance with the lower loft, but the ball flight would be low enough to fight the wind.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

The article says that he is bagging a 3w too. The second driver is probably lower loft to deal with the wind. Could be 6.5* He would lose distance with the lower loft, but the ball flight would be low enough to fight the wind.

I think he already uses a 6.5* driver. Maybe the shaft is different. I guess he must have taken out a wedge to make room. Everyone always says how talented Phil is, why doesn't he use that talent to hit low shots with his existing driver rather than handicap his short game? I really just don't understand him.

• SPY VIP

I think he already uses a 6.5* driver. Maybe the shaft is different. I guess he must have taken out a wedge to make room. Everyone always says how talented Phil is, why doesn't he use that talent to hit low shots with his existing driver rather than handicap his short game? I really just don't understand him.

Call me crazy, but maybe he tried out this bag of sticks prior to the tournament and got better results. Barring the lack of driver at Torrey, Phil seems quite good at adjusting the tools for the course.

I have watched Phil with a wedge, he is a freakin wizard. And from the wrong side of the ball.

Volvo Intorqueo

Yeah, the article mentioned he took out a wedge - probably his 64 degree.

I'd imagine Phil hits either one of his drivers longer than his 3 wood. So that's probably why he doesn't just bag the 3 wood in lieu of the second driver. I understand the point on wind. We have a ton of wind here. If you're into the wind, then you're screwed if you normally launch moon balls. That is part of the reason why I went with a 9 degree driver instead of my normal 10.5 because the wind was eating me alive on long par 4's and 5's.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

I'd imagine Phil hits either one of his drivers longer than his 3 wood. So that's probably why he doesn't just bag the 3 wood in lieu of the second driver. I understand the point on wind. We have a ton of wind here. If you're into the wind, then you're screwed if you normally launch moon balls. That is part of the reason why I went with a 9 degree driver instead of my normal 10.5 because the wind was eating me alive on long par 4's and 5's.

That and you are an animal.

Stats for Phil's bag should be up somewhere. I'll try my searching luck...

Volvo Intorqueo

I guess I understand why he is doing it, I just wonder why he doesn't just do it with his swing, rather than his equipment. I guess his swing is a little too fragile right now, he seems to be working on it pretty extensively.

Call me crazy, but maybe he tried out this bag of sticks prior to the tournament and got better results. Barring the lack of driver at Torrey, Phil seems quite good at adjusting the tools for the course.

I have watched Phil with a wedge, he is a freakin wizard. And from the wrong side of the ball.

Yeah, I posted a video of it to my site when I did a review of his DVD last year:

Phil's Secrets of the Short Game Review

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I guess I understand why he is doing it, I just wonder why he doesn't just do it with his swing, rather than his equipment. I guess his swing is a little too fragile right now, he seems to be working on it pretty extensively.

He's never been an accurate driver of the golf ball. That has been up and down his entire career. He's gone on some real hot streaks though when his driver is on. I think he is all but unbeatable when he's playing from the short grass and putting decent (same as Tiger).

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I read an article...I think it was on golf.com that said he had a FT-9 that was the normal/high trajectory driver to let the ball ride the wind and a FT-5 that was the low trajectory stick to keep it under/penetrate through the wind.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)

919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)

KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)

KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33"

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

I read an article...I think it was on golf.com that said he had a FT-9 that was the normal/high trajectory driver to let the ball ride the wind and a FT-5 that was the low trajectory stick to keep it under/penetrate through the wind.

That makes sense. He can't go much lower than the 6.5* he already uses.

Interesting. Why not go with the same model but just different lofts? Maybe Callaway's marketing team had a hand in club selection. ;)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I know that for me, adjusting my swing with the driver is about the last thing I would want to do; I'd much rather pull a wedge out of the bag and have to manipulate a different wedge to get more shots out of it. Maybe Phil's got the same thought process (since he and I are roughly the same, talent-wise ;) ) , since driving does seem to be his main weakness. Better to make the same driver swing 14 times and switch clubs if necessary than trying to perfect 2 driver swings.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I know that for me, adjusting my swing with the driver is about the last thing I would want to do; I'd much rather pull a wedge out of the bag and have to manipulate a different wedge to get more shots out of it. Maybe Phil's got the same thought process (since he and I are roughly the same, talent-wise ;) ) , since driving does seem to be his main weakness. Better to make the same driver swing 14 times and switch clubs if necessary than trying to perfect 2 driver swings.

You may have to change the shop to FIGJAM Woodworking. (fixed it)

So far no luck on locating today's bag specs.

Volvo Intorqueo

Interesting. Why not go with the same model but just different lofts? Maybe Callway's marketing team had a hand in club selection. ;)

I'm thinking its probably characteristics of the different models.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)

919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)

KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)

KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33"

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

You may have to change the shop to FIGAM Woodworking.

FIGJAM Woodworking does have a ring to it, and it is also my all time favorite acronym. This is going into the "Serious Consideration" box.

• SPY VIP

FIGJAM Woodworking does have a ring to it, and it is also my all time favorite acronym. This is going into the "Serious Consideration" box.

How did I forget the J?

Maybe you can title your boutique line of racks that. Nothing that fancy for the OTR.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

He's playing an FT9 tour authentic with Fubuki 73 x stiff and then FT-5 Tour authentic with a whiteboard 83 for the low guy

Any clue about the lofts?

Volvo Intorqueo

You may have to change the shop to FIGJAM Woodworking. (fixed it)

Don't laugh but I actually had to Google FIGJAM. Found this interesting piece..

Grouchy Golf Blog

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

He's playing an FT9 tour authentic with Fubuki 73 x stiff and then FT-5 Tour authentic with a whiteboard 83 for the low guy

Nice bit of detective work. Well done sir!!

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Thanks for the info. I, too, would be curious about the loft of each to see if the difference in flight is more a shaft & head (9 vs. 5) thing or if loft plays a role too.

How did I forget the J?

Maybe you can title your boutique line of racks that. Nothing that fancy for the OTR.

If nothing else, it would be a great thing to have carved/engraved into the front of one's putter rack. LOL.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

That would make a perfect engraved plate for a Phil fan. Or hater, depending on how you want to look at it.

Shiny chrome with his smug smiling face engraved next to FIGJAM

Full of lefty 8802's :)

As a Sun Devil, Phil does stretch that Alumni spirit for me sometimes...

Volvo Intorqueo

Here is an article from 2006 about why he did it back then.

If my memory is correct, I think he won the Masters the last time he did this. That in itself is enough reason for me not to second guess what he is doing.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

If my memory is correct, I think he won the Masters the last time he did this. That in itself is enough reason for me not to second guess what he is doing.

He did and he won a couple other tournaments but he took the other one out eventually, I just don't know why. There had to be a reason, I just don't know it.

Also, his normal driver is 6.5*, I don't know what the new one is. I can't imagine him going any lower than than though.

Archived