Michael Breed’s Notchback

I have been rolling my notchback for some time and putt well with it by my standards. The somewhat different shape without being drastic like a mallet fits my eye well. However, I have been toying with the “flowneck” style blades and like it. The notchback has a double bend neck and I was pondering what kind of specialty place I would need to send it to for that kind of modification when I saw this picture of Michael Breed and his notchback. 

I noticed it’s a Circle T so the putter itself is probably outside my budget, but Knowing others with much greater access than I have had the same thoughts as me has me ready to give it a go even if it means sacrificing my favorite putter for a Frankenstein experiment. Does anyone know a reputable business in the southeast that would do this kind of work? The putter is in fantastic shape so I wouldn’t need a whole putter makeover. Just the welding per say.

F5DC6BE7-ADDB-4891-9162-64545D59CEB4.png

You could call the scotty Cameron gallery to see if they can/will do it. I don’t recall being able to change the type of shaft as a customized option but you could also check that on the Scotty Cameron website. The downside is you will be without your putter for 3-6 months 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Something like this?

205160341_ScottyCameron.jpg.855479d235edb37d21c4b250ca72959c.jpg

WITB

Driver - Taylormade M6

3wd - Taylormade RBZ

Hybrids - Taylormade RBZ

Irons - Taylormade RSi1

Putter - Macgregor Smoothie

15 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You could call the scotty Cameron gallery to see if they can/will do it. I don’t recall being able to change the type of shaft as a customized option but you could also check that on the Scotty Cameron website. The downside is you will be without your putter for 3-6 months 

Yes sir that’s a long time to be without the beloved haha

5 hours ago, RickK said:

Something like this?

205160341_ScottyCameron.jpg.855479d235edb37d21c4b250ca72959c.jpg

Well that’s the same type of neck that’s on mine Rickk. In wanting it to look like the picture of the Circle T I posted. 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:21 PM, Abthompson07 said:

Does anyone know a reputable business in the southeast that would do this kind of work? The putter is in fantastic shape so I wouldn’t need a whole putter makeover. Just the welding per say.

These businesses seem to come and go because they are typically one man operations.  Bastain Milled was getting great reviews but apparently has gone out of business.  You could look at Ken Flannigan, Tom Slighter, Tour Quality Golf, East Coast Custom Putters.  Don’t have any experience with any of them but they are the names that pop up when searching.   

you say you don’t need a whole makeover,  but they may need too,  if you have a single or double bend, it may have a hole in the head that needs to be filled, then the new welded neck.   That is all hot work and may damage the finish of the putter requiring a refinish.  

you also seem to not be without the putter for very long; the typical turnaround will probably be 6-8 weeks or longer.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree with @cnosil. I used to follow Flannigan on social media and he seems to produce some quality work.

It will definitely require more time than it appears you're looking for. Even if the specific job for your putter didn't take long, these guys all have a volume of work already in front of them and in the case of Flannigan... last I knew he was producing his own putters as well. If you're really willing to risk modifying your Scotty, you might as well just look at another putter IMO. For the price of the work, I'm sure you could find something of a similar shape with a slant neck or flow neck to try alongside your gamer.

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag