TESTERS WANTED! ×

Miyazaki Kusala Indigo Shaft Review

Matt Saternus

Miyazaki Kusala Indigo Shaft Review

Indigo (7).JPG

Introduction

I've reviewed two Miyazaki shafts so far, and while I enjoyed both, neither was a fit for my swing. For this third review, Miyazaki sent me a true challenge to my gamer: the Kusala Indigo. With a profile that is very similar to my Diamana Kaili, will the Kusala Indigo steal a spot in my bag or wind up as another also-ran? Read on, spies…

Indigo (9).JPG

Notes, Feel, and Miscellaneous

Before you go any further, you need to know that the thing I love most about Miyazaki is the International Flex Code. If you haven't read my past Miyazaki reviews and need to catch up on what that is, click HERE.

The International Flex Code of the Kusala Indigo 72S that I tested is 5555. This means that the shaft is equally stiff across its entire length. This causes it to have a feel that is unlike almost anything else I've tried. Where most shafts have a discernible “hinge,” the Kusala Indigo feels more like a whip. The energy of the swing moves evenly down the shaft and explodes into the ball. In short: I've never had a shaft that felt this good.

Another interesting thing about the profile of the Kusala Indigo is that it is a near-match of the Diamana Kaili. If you check out this website HERE you can see the International Flex Codes for many different shafts from all manufacturers. The Kaili is rated as 5554, the Indigo is 5555. I imagine that this shaft was built to meet the desires of those (like me) who like the Kaili but don't care for how soft the tip feels. The other thing that I found interesting about this comparison is that while these two shafts have very similar codes, they feel nothing alike.

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not mention that this shaft is AWESOME looking. Most of the shaft is an inky-purple-blue color that is unlike anything else available. Near the top, the color transitions to some lighter blues with white graphics. The first time you pull this out of your bag, you will turn heads.

Indigo (10).JPG

Performance

As usual, I've broken the Performance section into two pieces: Data (launch monitor testing) and Real World (range and course). For the launch monitor testing, I put the Kusala up against my Diamana Kaili (70g), both in an R9 460 9.5 head. I hit 10 “good” shots with each shaft, changing frequently so that fatigue was not an issue, nor did I get grooved with one shaft to the detriment of fairness. I went through this process three times and averaged the two sets of data.

For anyone interested in the swing that produces these numbers: my clubhead speed is usually between 100MPH and 110MPH, my biggest problem is getting quick/out of sync from the top, and my miss tends to be a block right.

DATA

*Most metrics show low, average, and high. For dispersion, L represents left or hook spin, R represents right or slice spin.

Indigo: Ball speed: 158 Distance: 260-277-293 Launch Angle: 10.8-12.2-16.1

Backspin: 1821-2253-2900 Sidespin: 233 Dispersion: 6L-10R-25R

Kaili: Ball speed: 158 Distance: 257-278-293 Launch Angle: 9.0-12.3-13.9

Backspin: 1500-2372-3100 Sidespin: 260 Dispersion: 12L-6R-30R

ANALYSIS

You can see that the numbers for the Indigo were very similar to the Kaili, which you would expect given that they have such similar profiles. There are a couple of noteworthy differences:

1) The range of backspin was much tighter on the Indigo. To me, this is a good marker of consistency.

2) The dispersion was tighter on both the right and the left.

REAL WORLD RESULTS

Unfortunately, due to the golf season ending here in Chicago, I have only gotten one good range session in with the Indigo. That session seemed to bear out the results from the launch monitor: the Indigo produces a ball flight that is very similar to the Kaili, but a bit straighter. I will add more real world results to this thread as the weather turns.

Indigo (6).JPG

Value

The Miyazaki Kusala line retails for $250. As I said about the Kusala White, for those willing to pay the price, Miyazaki offers great performance and a wide range of fitting options and should definitely be on the short list for anyone looking to upgrade their shafts.

Indigo (4).JPG

Conclusion

With the Kusala Indigo, Miyazaki has taken a shaft that I loved (the Diamana Kaili) and made it noticeably better. The feel is improved and unlike anything else that I have hit. More importantly, the dispersion is tighter and the spin numbers are more consistent. The Kusala Indigo does have one more competitor to take down before it lands in the bag full time, but whether it does or doesn't, it is a remarkably good shaft.

Indigo (3).JPG

VISIT WEBSITE: http://www.miyazakigolfshafts.com/

FOLLOW ON TWITTER: http://twitter.com/#.../Miyazakishafts

FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.../Miyazakishafts

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 3 weeks later...

Neat review Matt.

One thing I did find when testing this shaft myself is that the more aggressive a swinger is, the better results they get. The straight flex profile doesn't seem to load up as nicely for the smooth swingers and the overall flex rating becomes an issue (IE a smooth swinger trying to use an Indigio seems to find better results with a R rather then a S for example in my experience).

All in all, I agree that this is a fanastic shaft for those it fits and they price isn't bad at all considering the quality is up there with the $350-$400 and up shafts.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived