Phoenix Open (Waste Management) - 2022

fixyurdivot

This week they head southeast to Phoenix for what is considered the biggest party in professional golf.  Originally started in 1932 as the Arizona Open and then renamed the Phoenix Open in 1935, it is the 5th oldest event on tour. The rowdy, well hydrated fans at the Waste Management (so appropriate) have become much of what makes this event. Now being touted as "the greatest show on grass" (umm... nah, not even close IMO), TPC Scottsdale always seems to look for ways to pump up the volume. Many of the top players are back to experience this unique venue. Brooks returns as the defending champion and attempts to become the 6th golfer to be a multiple winner of this event.  Also, did you know that both Phil Mickelson and Mark Calcalvecchia share the event scoring record at a whopping -28? 😲

Brooks Koepka back to winning ways at Waste Management Phoenix Open

The now infamous hole #16 (the loudest hole in pro golf)

2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open final results: Prize money payout,  leaderboard and how much each golfer won

Don't forget to pick your winner for this weeks pool https://runmypools.com/JRMPNWWF

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This week they head southeast to Phoenix for what is considered the biggest party in professional golf.  Originally started in 1932 as the Arizona Open and then renamed the Phoenix Open in 1935, it is the 5th oldest event on tour. The rowdy, well hydrated fans at the Waste Management (so appropriate) have become much of what makes this event. Now being touted as "the greatest show on grass" (umm... nah, not even close IMO), TPC Scottsdale always seems to look for ways to pump up the volume. Many of the top players are back to experience this unique venue. Brooks returns as the defending champion and attempts to become the 6th golfer to be a multiple winner of this event.  Also, did you know that both Phil Mickelson and Mark Calcalvecchia share the event scoring record at a whopping -28? 😲

Brooks Koepka back to winning ways at Waste Management Phoenix Open

The now infamous hole #16 (the loudest hole in pro golf)

2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open final results: Prize money payout,  leaderboard and how much each golfer won

Don't forget to pick your winner for this weeks pool https://runmypools.com/JRMPNWWF

I parred this hole from the third left bunker.... the year Tiger aced this hole.  When Tiger hit that shot, the crowd just roared, and when it went in the hole, the volume of the roar doubled!!

So, I told my buddies that when I teed off, I want them to yell.  I got a Rah, Yay, Yippee in low-key voices.  My ball went in the bunker.  I was disappointed, but when my sand shot came out and rolled up by the hole for a tap-in, well...

tiger-woods-fist-pump.jpeg.b490a8cb527de24b3d8abe5c89133439.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I know this is a controversial event.  I've come to enjoy the craziness of it.  Through time I've learned that a full season on the PGA tour brings a variety of different events/courses/conditions.  Very few players are able to perform well in all of those.  For me it's fun to watch them trying something different this one time a year.  Next week we get a classic course and then it's on to Florida where the windy late winter conditions often produce at least one tournament where par matters.  Plus more of the Euro's start showing up in the Florida swing which means stronger fields.  

• Like 5

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

44 minutes ago, revkev said:

I know this is a controversial event.  I've come to enjoy the craziness of it.  Through time I've learned that a full season on the PGA tour brings a variety of different events/courses/conditions.  Very few players are able to perform well in all of those.  For me it's fun to watch them trying something different this one time a year.  Next week we get a classic course and then it's on to Florida where the windy late winter conditions often produce at least one tournament where par matters.  Plus more of the Euro's start showing up in the Florida swing which means stronger fields.  

I like it too. I like watching the player/fan interaction on 16 as well 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

40 minutes ago, revkev said:

Having been to the WMPO a few times, once with a Course Marshal pass, the other 17 holes are pretty normal for a PGA Tour event.  For one hole it is a different event.  I think most players embrace it and enjoy the interaction... maybe distraction before the closing two holes.  

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hopefully those entering the pool see this but not everyone listed is in the field. Cam Young is currently the 2nd alternate

• Like 1

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

15 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I parred this hole from the third left bunker.... the year Tiger aced this hole.  When Tiger hit that shot, the crowd just roared, and when it went in the hole, the volume of the roar doubled!!

So, I told my buddies that when I teed off, I want them to yell.  I got a Rah, Yay, Yippee in low-key voices.  My ball went in the bunker.  I was disappointed, but when my sand shot came out and rolled up by the hole for a tap-in, well...

tiger-woods-fist-pump.jpeg.b490a8cb527de24b3d8abe5c89133439.jpeg

Ha! Last year I did the same but from the right bunker. It's crazy how different the course is without the grand stands. Especially hole #16. 

• Like 2

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Ha! Last year I did the same but from the right bunker. It's crazy how different the course is without the grand stands. Especially hole #16. 

RU making the long trek up north to watch in person?  That arena/stadium like setting is pretty crazy looking. 

3 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Hopefully those entering the pool see this but not everyone listed is in the field. Cam Young is currently the 2nd alternate

Yes, I saw that.  He was (or at least I thought so) as in the field the other day when I looked at FTx but noted his green check mark gone this morning.  That leaves me with 5 as of now. While I'm OTT about HV3 winning yesterday, I'm concerned he might WD from the WM... exhausted from the trip and hauling extra bags full of cash and hardware 😬.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

RU making the long trek up north to watch in person?  That arena/stadium like setting is pretty crazy looking. 

I've lived in the SE valley for nearly 30 years and have been to the WM twice. The 2nd time I went was with my dad about 12 years ago. He was in his 60's then. Some younger guy was with his friends and tried to pick a fight with my dad because he thought my dad stole his beer. My dad doesn't drink and he's as unassuming as they come. I was off getting a snack and came back to my pops surrounded so I quickly got involved. I was also very heavy into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai at that time and I was well prepared to turn this guy and 3 of his friends in side out.. that said.. I was prepared and willing, but wasn't there for a stupid altercation and was able to talk us out of it and got a cop involved. Pretty sure they got kicked out. The fact that it ever turned into what it was, was enough to change my mind about ever going again.

3/4 of the people that go don't give 2 turds about watching golf. They're only there to party, drink, and apparently pick fights. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of going but will definitely watch it on TV. 

• Like 2

MAXFLI  Tour CG

14 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yes, I saw that.  He was (or at least I thought so) as in the field the other day when I looked at FTx but noted his green check mark gone this morning.  That leaves me with 5 as of now. While I'm OTT about HV3 winning yesterday, I'm concerned he might WD from the WM... exhausted from the trip and hauling extra bags full of cash and hardware 😬.

I looked at the field Saturday he was first alternate, Sunday he was in, and now he is second alternate so who knows

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

24 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

I looked at the field Saturday he was first alternate, Sunday he was in, and now he is second alternate so who knows

Is this because of other late entries that took priority over his?

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

11 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I've lived in the SE valley for nearly 30 years and have been to the WM twice. The 2nd time I went was with my dad about 12 years ago. He was in his 60's then. Some younger guy was with his friends and tried to pick a fight with my dad because he thought my dad stole his beer. My dad doesn't drink and he's as unassuming as they come. I was off getting a snack and came back to my pops surrounded so I quickly got involved. I was also very heavy into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai at that time and I was well prepared to turn this guy and 3 of his friends in side out.. that said.. I was prepared and willing, but wasn't there for a stupid altercation and was able to talk us out of it and got a cop involved. Pretty sure they got kicked out. The fact that it ever turned into what it was, was enough to change my mind about ever going again.

3/4 of the people that go don't give 2 turds about watching golf. They're only there to party, drink, and apparently pick fights. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of going but will definitely watch it on TV. 

Sorry to hear of that experience... not something one would expect at a pro golf venue.  I have been to a number of PGA, LPGA and mini-tour events over the years and loved every one of them - well, the accessibility/viewing at Chambers Bay not so much.  The WM is one that I would never attend but rather watch from the safety of my home.  When the sale of alcohol becomes a primary focus of any venue, it runs the risk of people acting irresponsibly and being a distraction for those around them who came to watch golf... not inebriated fools.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, revkev said:

Is this because of other late entries that took priority over his?

I’m not sure. It was after Berger was already added to the field so I’m not sure who else was added since then

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yes, I saw that.  He was (or at least I thought so) as in the field the other day when I looked at FTx but noted his green check mark gone this morning.  That leaves me with 5 as of now. While I'm OTT about HV3 winning yesterday, I'm concerned he might WD from the WM... exhausted from the trip and hauling extra bags full of cash and hardware 

Mav McNealy has withdrawn from the field so we are one closer to Young playing. 

On 2/7/2022 at 2:04 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Sorry to hear of that experience... not something one would expect at a pro golf venue.  I have been to a number of PGA, LPGA and mini-tour events over the years and loved every one of them - well, the accessibility/viewing at Chambers Bay not so much.  The WM is one that I would never attend but rather watch from the safety of my home.  When the sale of alcohol becomes a primary focus of any venue, it runs the risk of people acting irresponsibly and being a distraction for those around them who came to watch golf... not inebriated fools.

And I'll come right out and say it.. I claim AZ as my home state so I feel I'm entitled to make such a statement.. there are a LOT of knuckleheads here. Pretty sure the AZ heat does something unusual to the human brain over time. And then you add alcohol..🤡 🍺🔥💣💥

• Haha 2

MAXFLI  Tour CG

There are more withdrawals recently then i can remember

• Sad 1

⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Surprisingly Hoffman and Berger are both still listed as in after withdrawing last week

• Hmmm 1

One of my favorite tournaments to watch. I enjoy the stadium like atmosphere and the interaction of players and fans. It wouldn’t be the same if this happened every weekend. The array of fans also is quite entertaining 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

7 hours ago, azstu324 said:

It's very different in July... nobody around!!  🤣   and CHEAP!!!

• Like 1