Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

POLL: Why do you want to be good at golf?

I used to play baseball and that came natural to me, throwing and catching the ball, fielding the ball, hitting too all felt easy. Once I stopped playing after HS I didn't do anything competitive/athletic. The pandemic although negative led me to play golf. It reignited the competitive bones in my body but one thing is that I am still learning and this does not come natural to me. Especially coming from a baseball swing to a golf swing it's a different beast. 

Just as baseball came natural to me I eventually want golf to feel natural to me, I think it all comes down to having control. I think that is my drive to get good so I can feel in control and actually shoot the shots I want to hit and start actually scoring decent. I'm not far from it but the journey is still beginning. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert

Wood: Nike VRS Covert 3 Wood

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro 3, Nike VR Pro Cavity 4-PW

Wedges: Nike SV Tour 52, 56, 60

Putter: Nike Ignite 001

Being good at golf to me is being "good enough" to the point where I am able to keep reasonably close to my playing partners, who practice and play significantly more than me. 

Golf is one of my escapes from the stress of daily life. It's a time where I can go out, enjoy nature (Utah is gorgeous and the views from most courses are beautiful), and just unplug from my phone, job, chores, etc for a few hours. 

When I can keep up with my playing partners in regard to pace and minimizing the hacking, it makes it far easier to just enjoy the conversations we have and the good company. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I will never be "Good" at golf. Better than when I started yes, better than 3 yrs ago, mostly. Once I came to the realization I will never be "good" at golf it became a lot more enjoyable. Better, yes I want to be better.. No-one wants to be Sh!tty at something they love, but better definitely..  I mostly want to enjoy my time playing, and getting better is more enjoyable than getting worse...

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

• 2 weeks later...

*second thought* to jump off being competitive. When I was younger the goal was to always beat my dad, then it was to beat other family members. Once you do it its always someone else. I remember seeing my uncles and dad play and always setting that goal to beat them. These days I am sure they feel that way about me now! Golf is the never-ending next goal I think. Shooting for that next milestone, its always being hungry for that next step but satisfied to an extent at the same time.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Great question!  For me, it's the challenge.  Many sports have always come pretty easy to me throughout my life.  Golf is the one sport that I struggle with the most.  It's the one sport that requires the most practice...("practice, practice...I don't need stinking practice").  When I played baseball, a lot of the motions were muscle memory and instant reactions, meaning if I saw a 96mph fastball I didn't have much time to think about swinging, I just swung.  In golf, I have all the damn time in the world to think about what shot do I want to hit, what club should I use, how hard do I swing, where do I want to land the ball, where is the clubhead in the back swing and on and on and on.  That is the challenge for me.  It's just wanting to be good to prove a point to myself I guess.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

For me its not about getting out there and playing 5 times a week in a mediocre fashion. So I go play twice a week and practice for the other three. I enjoy practising not as much as actually playing , but the 2 times I do go play are much more satisfying. I'm not in any one place to be a member , so I play where I can and usually play with the weekend type golfer who curses every second shot. I've been through that and practice has me to where I REALLY appreciate the work I put in. 

The other thing many weekend golfers go out and buy the latest equipment thinking they'll play better golf , but you need to be fitted and the only way to get fitted properly is to have a consistent swing, so they would be way better off getting lessons. 

So it all boils down to , I like to play but play well.

Pete

I really wish they hadn't canned the amateur tour.Thanks to [ractice, I'm almost to a point of a club change. First a driver fitting then irons.

Edited by peterg2000

In my      :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:

Driver:    :ping-small: G425 LST, set to 9.0, graphite stiff-flex,  Tour S 65 

3W:          Taylormade Jetspeed Stiff Flex

2H:           Taylormade Jetspeed Regular Flex  ( yeah I know got it on sale and love it as is)

3H:           Taylormade RBZ stiff flex

Irons:        Tatlormade RBZ steel stiff flex

Wedges:  :ping-small: GMax, Yellow Dot, CVS 70 graphite, PW, UW & SW, Ping Glide Dyla-Wedge (white color code)

Putter:     Odessey 

Ball:       Titlest ProV1x

Shoes:   :footjoy-small:

• 4 weeks later...

Try my hands at some Senior Tour qualifying events by 55 and maybe a couple try's for the US Open.

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Gaming: Woods: Cobra Radspeed XB Driver, 3W, 5W, Cobra KING Forged TEC 4-PW, Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 48*/10* F Grind, 54*/12* D Grind, 60*/12* D Grind, Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 🙂

I have gone through a variety of motivations in my life. I played high-school golf and wanted to qualify for the state tournament. After that I played in a few tournaments a year and wanted to play well. Even later I played only business golf scrambles and usually played the "A" spot. My teammates depended on me. Later it became a way to compete with myself. This has become the most rewarding era.

Now at age 78, for sometime now it has been a way of competing with aging. A losing proposition. But I have shot my age several times a year since age 73 and that is my goal for each round. But you need to keep moving to shorter yardages.

• 1 month later...

I certainly don’t play it often enough, but yes, I’d like to be better at it. Why? In my life I’ve only ever played tennis competitively at the high school level. I was too small for football or hockey, I couldn’t throw well enough for baseball, I didn’t have the patience to run for track or cross country, and my basketball game was shot after I hit my growth spurt. So I played tennis for 10 years, but I never really connected with it.

Golf is the first sport I ever truly became addicted to from day 1. It just seems natural that I’d want to be better at it.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

I don't want to be good at golf.  I want to be able to look at each round I play and say, "Today good enough."  I have been lucky to make some really good shots (no hole in one, yet), playing with some really good people, playing some beautiful courses, having some really good belly laughs on the course, and being able to go home to a really understanding wife at the end of the day.  If I get to the point where the goodness of the game is outweighed by the fact that the score isn't good enough, then I think I will have lost my desire to play and I would be able to walk away.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

I want to be able to pass the knowledge on to the kids I coach. I feel that if I'm not a good player or can't physically show them what certain things look like, I'm not an effective coach.

Also, I want to win my family's golf tournament. I'm already the low handicap guy and I need to shoot 2 rounds at just about even to win (FYI I've never shot a shore of even for 18 holes). So yeah, I need to be good at golf lol

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7