POLL: Why do you want to be good at golf?

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Much like @PMookieit is the last competitive sport for me. Organized sports are not in the cards anymore and the fact that it feeds my competitiveness is a necessity for my mental state (snowboarding does the same for me too) 

On top of that being able to adore a perfect tee shot, approach, chip, splash out of the sand or 30' putt....there is nothing else quite like it:

It doesn't happen all the time but when it does its the exact fix any of us need to keep coming back and trying to just get a few more of those jaw dropping, high fiving, fist pumping, Tiger Woods double arm scream to the sky when you do make those "top 10" plays. 

A big part of it to me. Even on a bad day (scoring), I always have a few really good shots, even a truly great one here and there (that even a pro would be happy with) - a chip in, sticking an approach, making a long putt, reaching a par 5 in two, etc. I don't know of another sport where an amateur can match a pro, even if only for a moment.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys
20 minutes ago, Middler said:

A big part of it to me. Even on a bad day (scoring), I always have a few really good shots, even a truly great one here and there (that even a pro would be happy with) - a chip in, sticking an approach, making a long putt, reaching a par 5 in two, etc. I don't know of another sport where an amateur can match a pro, even if only for a moment.

Tough part with other sports is you may never be facing that 98 MPh pitcher (I have and let me tell you what). Defending an all pro shooter or trying to outrun a 4.6 40 linebacker. But just like you said in golf you can hit a professional shot from time to time. It’s a beautiful thing

• Like 4

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ VS :cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Because I can't believe I'm not better at it.

• Haha 2
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

I’m a sports competitive person as is and if I get involved in something I’m usually 100% committed, so with golf I just want to get better especially when you play with better players. It’s also great where 100% of the blame is you and no one else ( sometimes the clubs are to blame😆)

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I am all about how golf is all on you. I love being able to improve and learn everytime I am out there playing. You can't be perfect and I love the mental side of the game.

I'm not proud to admit it but I do enjoy impressing my buddies and getting the W. 

• Like 1
  • Ping G10 3 Wood, 15.5°
  • Cobra Baffler, 3 hybrid 
  • Mizuno MP-67, 3-PW
  • Ping Glide Forged Pro, 52° & 56°
  • Evnroll, ER2

I was a gym class hero growing up.  Good enough to crush it in gym class but not good enough to play beyond high school in anything. 

Golf is the adult version of that.  So you could say I just never grew up..just adjusted to my age. 

But for real, it's this great combination of being able to be competitive while also being social.  Love me the club championships and club events but also love just going out and having a few bucks on the line and then enjoying a brew or two at the end.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

I played football for 21 years including college and professional. After that’s all said and done, there is a void to compete and be challenged. Hence where golf came in. It’s an opportunity to be active regardless of age and helps with the mental aspect of continuous improvement. 

• Like 4

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

All of the above, but most importantly, because of my obsessive, compulsive. competitive nature, I'm going to continue playing/improving until I get really good at it. And we all know that never happens. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My main goal at the moment is consistency and getting to single figures. Started playing properly last year on 22 and now down to 13.2 so going in the right direction.

Good or bad I enjoy being out on the course but the competitive side of me wants to be better.

There's a group of 8 of us that switch around and I'd like to be the best in the group. 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

I used to play baseball and that came natural to me, throwing and catching the ball, fielding the ball, hitting too all felt easy. Once I stopped playing after HS I didn't do anything competitive/athletic. The pandemic although negative led me to play golf. It reignited the competitive bones in my body but one thing is that I am still learning and this does not come natural to me. Especially coming from a baseball swing to a golf swing it's a different beast. 

Just as baseball came natural to me I eventually want golf to feel natural to me, I think it all comes down to having control. I think that is my drive to get good so I can feel in control and actually shoot the shots I want to hit and start actually scoring decent. I'm not far from it but the journey is still beginning. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert

Wood: Nike VRS Covert 3 Wood

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro 3, Nike VR Pro Cavity 4-PW

Wedges: Nike SV Tour 52, 56, 60

Putter: Nike Ignite 001

Being good at golf to me is being "good enough" to the point where I am able to keep reasonably close to my playing partners, who practice and play significantly more than me. 

Golf is one of my escapes from the stress of daily life. It's a time where I can go out, enjoy nature (Utah is gorgeous and the views from most courses are beautiful), and just unplug from my phone, job, chores, etc for a few hours. 

When I can keep up with my playing partners in regard to pace and minimizing the hacking, it makes it far easier to just enjoy the conversations we have and the good company. 

• Like 1

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I will never be "Good" at golf. Better than when I started yes, better than 3 yrs ago, mostly. Once I came to the realization I will never be "good" at golf it became a lot more enjoyable. Better, yes I want to be better.. No-one wants to be Sh!tty at something they love, but better definitely..  I mostly want to enjoy my time playing, and getting better is more enjoyable than getting worse...

• Like 1

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

• 2 weeks later...

*second thought* to jump off being competitive. When I was younger the goal was to always beat my dad, then it was to beat other family members. Once you do it its always someone else. I remember seeing my uncles and dad play and always setting that goal to beat them. These days I am sure they feel that way about me now! Golf is the never-ending next goal I think. Shooting for that next milestone, its always being hungry for that next step but satisfied to an extent at the same time.

• Like 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ VS :cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Personal challenge. Golf is great because it challenges you in so many ways, physically, mentally, and emotionally. I should be able to play for many more years, and I want get good and challenge myself against what this game can throw at you.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Great question!  For me, it's the challenge.  Many sports have always come pretty easy to me throughout my life.  Golf is the one sport that I struggle with the most.  It's the one sport that requires the most practice...("practice, practice...I don't need stinking practice").  When I played baseball, a lot of the motions were muscle memory and instant reactions, meaning if I saw a 96mph fastball I didn't have much time to think about swinging, I just swung.  In golf, I have all the damn time in the world to think about what shot do I want to hit, what club should I use, how hard do I swing, where do I want to land the ball, where is the clubhead in the back swing and on and on and on.  That is the challenge for me.  It's just wanting to be good to prove a point to myself I guess.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

For me its not about getting out there and playing 5 times a week in a mediocre fashion. So I go play twice a week and practice for the other three. I enjoy practising not as much as actually playing , but the 2 times I do go play are much more satisfying. I'm not in any one place to be a member , so I play where I can and usually play with the weekend type golfer who curses every second shot. I've been through that and practice has me to where I REALLY appreciate the work I put in. 

The other thing many weekend golfers go out and buy the latest equipment thinking they'll play better golf , but you need to be fitted and the only way to get fitted properly is to have a consistent swing, so they would be way better off getting lessons. 

So it all boils down to , I like to play but play well.

Pete

I really wish they hadn't canned the amateur tour.Thanks to [ractice, I'm almost to a point of a club change. First a driver fitting then irons.

Edited by peterg2000

In my      :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:

Driver:    :ping-small: G30 SFT, set to 9.5*, graphite stiff-flex,  Tour S 65 

3W:          Taylormade Jetspeed Stiff Flex

2H:           Taylormade JetspeedRegular Flex

3H:           Taylormade RBZ

Irons:        Tatlormade RBZ steel stiff flex

Wedges:  :ping-small: GMax, Yellow Dot, CVS 70 graphite, PW, UW & SW, Ping Glide Dyla-Wedge (white color code)

Putter:     Odessey 

Ball:       Titlest ProV1x

Shoes:   :footjoy-small:  DNA

• 4 weeks later...

Try my hands at some Senior Tour qualifying events by 55 and maybe a couple try's for the US Open.

• Hmmm 1

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Gaming: Woods: Cobra Radspeed XB Driver, 3W, 5W, Cobra KING Forged TEC 4-PW, Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 48*/10* F Grind, 54*/12* D Grind, 60*/12* D Grind, Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 🙂

Keep me out of the pub and stops me drinking! 

It's a great way to play with people of all different levels due to the handicap system.

• Haha 1

Fran Gibson