Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Looking for a low launch alterative to AVX

NC Golfer

The difference in low launch balls isn’t going to be that significant. If you are trying to lower ball flight you need to look to see if it’s launch or spin that’s causing the overall height aka peak height or apex.

Ones delivery and how much loft they add at impact is going to play a bigger role than the ball as is the club design.

i don’t know if I would consider the e6 a low launch ball but for the price it’s not a bad option to try 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

This one is gonna be tricky, IMHO. Most ionomer balls (read: cheaper) are high "launch," low spin. I put quotes on launch because launch angles within cover types are going to be very similar and what is usually meant is "trajectory." (If you're looking at the MGS Ball Test data, look at Peak Height, not Launch Angle.) Basically all ionomer balls will have markedly higher launch angles than urethane balls, but within the ionomer category, you won't see more than a degree of difference between them and within the urethane category, you won't see more than a degree of difference. If you're going to bring trajectory down on long/mid irons, what do you want in terms of spin? AVX is relatively low spin in the urethane category, but should still spin more than basically any ionomer ball. (**Depending on how you deliver the club, etc etc)

Spin considerations aside, looking strictly at money and low trajectory, the Kirkland is maybe your best bet. It spins like a mother and, for me, balloons, thus defeating the lower trajectory. The next two that come to mind are the Wilson Duo Professional (~$30/doz) and the Srixon Q-Star Tour ($35/doz). There are plenty of tour-level options that will give you that flatter trajectory (the B-stone Tour B line comes to mind as well as the Wilson Staff Model) but those are pretty much all going to be more than $40/dozen.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I also gave up on the AVX.  To pricy and titliest free speech decisions are a no go for me.  The best alternative I found for similar feel is the Taylormade  Tour Response.  $34.95 per dozen.  According to the MGS ball test the Tour Response shows a peak height off a irons to be .5 foot higher trajectory at the mid swing speed. It also shows it to be slightly less spin of the iron and longer by 2 yards.

21 hours ago, LowSwingSpeed said:

Have played several times with the 2022 AVX. Completely different ball than the 2021 - more spin off driver and feels much firmer, more like last year's PV1X. One thing is the same - will not stop like the PV1. Tempted to just go back and play SuperHot 55s.

strange because this version of the AVX is suposed to be softer and lower spinning off the long clubs....

get your hands on some left dots and see what you think

Golf is cool

• 5 months later...
On 2/8/2022 at 12:57 PM, Rhinosparky said:

I also gave up on the AVX.  To pricy and titliest free speech decisions are a no go for me.  The best alternative I found for similar feel is the Taylormade  Tour Response.  $34.95 per dozen.  According to the MGS ball test the Tour Response shows a peak height off a irons to be .5 foot higher trajectory at the mid swing speed. It also shows it to be slightly less spin of the iron and longer by 2 yards.

Free speech decisions? They're a private company making a decision to not put divisive phrases on golf balls with their logo. I'm okay with their policy - they also banned crazy left wing phrases about violence toward police officers. I imagine you can probably find a third party (such as a tattoo parlor) to put Lets Go Brandon on your balls. 

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

On 2/8/2022 at 12:57 PM, Rhinosparky said:

They won’t let you out Tiger on a ball either. I was surprised they met me out one of Arnie’s mottos on a ball several years back.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1