Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2023: Want To Be a MGS Forum Tester? Read Here!

GolfSpy_APH
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

DO NOT APPLY WITHIN THIS THREAD FOR TESTING

Want to make your own review on a product and follow our testing template? This is a generic template to follow, however uses the same star rating system that any of the "official reviews" will have for this season and moving forward. (half stars are okay as well). The generic template gives you the opportunity to be a little more creative while following the same general template we will use for any and all official tests.
Here it is: Member Review Testing Template

Please please use the search function before creating a new thread as many of these products/reviews can be posted into existing threads. We can add in a front end message like this one to the top of the thread linking your review to make it more visible on request as well. This helps us keep the forum cleaner and without too many repeating threads. 

Have more questions? Reach out to myself @GolfSpy_APH or any of the other mods via our staff page: Forum Staff 

2023 Update Post: HERE

For more information and data we have an independent study that was done by a member which can be found: HERE!

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Fighting a loosing battle there!

I would have thought the super big do not apply here would be close to enough, but there will always be those looking to just get free gear. 

Just look at the Nippon sign ups. About 450? So not bad, but nothing crazy. Compare that to Sub70 where we had 4000. Did anyone else notice that there was no IG post for Nippon? Also the blog post had 0 comments as it was buried by other news that day.

Main point IG brings on thousands of empty signups which is great for numbers and we hope that a few will read the beginning of this and get hooked, but the majority will see the word test and think here is sign up and not read anything about the actual how.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I would have thought the super big do not apply here would be close to enough, but there will always be those looking to just get free gear. 

Just look at the Nippon sign ups. About 450? So not bad, but nothing crazy. Compare that to Sub70 where we had 4000. Did anyone else notice that there was no IG post for Nippon? Also the blog post had 0 comments as it was buried by other news that day.

Main point IG brings on thousands of empty signups which is great for numbers and we hope that a few will read the beginning of this and get hooked, but the majority will see the word test and think here is sign up and not read anything about the actual how.

Not unusual...

7-13.jpg.pro-cmg.jpeg.de7c1984bf39ef579296646ba721c155.jpeg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

but there will always be those looking to just get free gear

I've been lucky enough to be selected a couple of times.  If those people understood the level of effort it requires to do the review properly, they would never volunteer.  This is not a complaint in any way, rather a compliment to all of the other testers who have done a great job in the past.  I hope I manage to live up to the expectations.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

51 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've been lucky enough to be selected a couple of times.  If those people understood the level of effort it requires to do the review properly, they would never volunteer.  This is not a complaint in any way, rather a compliment to all of the other testers who have done a great job in the past.  I hope I manage to live up to the expectations.

Great point Dave!  Fortunately we've had (or at least that I've seen) very few really poor efforts from testers.  But I think we can credit a good portion of this to the staff doing a good job selecting testers.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

There have been a few that took the goods and ran. But that gets them on the naughty list. Never to be chosen again. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

i am always looking to improve my putting   and this seems like a good way to test the lab theory and see if it improves my putting  

golfer/bowler/auctioneer

I’m on MyGolfSpy all the time, looking at everything here. This site is one of the reasons I looked at the Tommy Armour Impact No 2 putter, and after testing it, decided to purchase it. I would love to be involved in the testing and review phase on this site. 

John Stilson

Driver-G425 SFT

Hybrid-845 3h

Wood-Burner 2.0 3W

Irons-G425 5-9

Wedges-Vokey 50, 56, 60

9 minutes ago, flyingwedges said:

IMHO, your criteria is quite subjective, and focuses on self-promoters.  Accept names, randomly choose the short list, and go forward with testing. 

What in the initial post focuses on self promoters may I ask? It discusses forum engagement and being active. OEMs are proving gear at zero cost and in return they want to know the person receiving it will actively use it AND provide comprehensive feedback. It’s less of a risk to choose an active poster vs one with no bio, no profile pic, and little history. 

For the record I was chosen for a test within my first 6 mos of joining. I stayed engaged with the forum and other posters and that showed I would be able to provide active feedback. I have never once “self promoted”. Promoted my kids, sure 😆 But me? Nah. Just stay engaged and sign up for opportunities that you feel you would be a good fit for. That’s it. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

6 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

What in the initial post focuses on self promoters may I ask? It discusses forum engagement and being active. OEMs are proving gear at zero cost and in return they want to know the person receiving it will actively use it AND provide comprehensive feedback. It’s less of a risk to choose an active poster vs one with no bio, no profile pic, and little history. 

For the record I was chosen for a test within my first 6 mos of joining. I stayed engaged with the forum and other posters and that showed I would be able to provide active feedback. I have never once “self promoted”. Promoted my kids, sure 😆 But me? Nah. Just stay engaged and sign up for opportunities that you feel you would be a good fit for. That’s it. 

2nd that, selected after being active for about 2 months, and a pretty big test from ping may I add. Get engaged…..

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

46 minutes ago, flyingwedges said:

IMHO, your criteria is quite subjective, and focuses on self-promoters.  Accept names, randomly choose the short list, and go forward with testing. 

I'm going to agree with @russtopherb, @bens197, and @Lacassem on this. Testing opportunities are a lot of work and the OEM's and the forum are looking for people that are willing to put in the time and work to give their products a thorough and honest review. If the criteria were skewed toward self promoters, believe me, there are a lot of people who posted once that would have been selected. I would recommend going back to before the new sign up button and read some of the tens of thousands of comments that were examples of that. It's actually something I used to enjoy reading. 

The testing opportunities are a great way to drive new members to the site, I'm one of them. I was fortunate enough to have been selected for the 2018 SuperSpeed review after about 100 posts and am still active to this day. The testing opportunities are a great thing, but I can tell you that the community of golfers here beats that hands down. 

23 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

, but I can tell you that the community of golfers here beats that hands down. 

Except @fixyurdivot 😂😂. Jk bill but I’m never going to stop throwing these at ya when I have the chance 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

On 5/1/2022 at 11:18 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Of course as with all on the forum allowed to and happy you share your point of view even if I disagree. 

One of the things we do look at is ratio between posted content and reactions. This is in the hopes of getting testers that just don't post to get a high post count. Which again post count is looked at, but more so we try and look at how active a member has been recently. There are plenty that have well over a thousand posts, but maybe haven't actually posted in 6+ months. 

In the end we have an obligation to the OEM, HQ and the members to select testers who will provide us with good reviews. Even this year we had to call an audible and call in a backup as we had a tester not respond to being selected. It sucks as we hope and believe we pick members who will be able to provide good reviews, but sometimes life or other things happen which cause members to not be able to do so. 

To this extent we even have members messaging saying that they signed up, but won't be able to do a full review do to various reason and for us to not select them. Which is appreciated. 

I think we have a great system, but that is me. Even since coming on staff we have tweaked it a bit and added in some new things to make our life easier (player profiles) and hope that HQ can provide everyone with a great testing season this year. 

Your criteria is horrible.  Few would create a survey with such subjective criteria, as it provides invalid results. If the OEM wants a study that validates his opinion, he should do it himself. If you want true random sampling, then do random sampling.

On 5/1/2022 at 9:41 AM, sirchunksalot said:

I'm going to agree with @russtopherb, @bens197, and @Lacassem on this. Testing opportunities are a lot of work and the OEM's and the forum are looking for people that are willing to put in the time and work to give their products a thorough and honest review. If the criteria were skewed toward self promoters, believe me, there are a lot of people who posted once that would have been selected. I would recommend going back to before the new sign up button and read some of the tens of thousands of comments that were examples of that. It's actually something I used to enjoy reading. 

The testing opportunities are a great way to drive new members to the site, I'm one of them. I was fortunate enough to have been selected for the 2018 SuperSpeed review after about 100 posts and am still active to this day. The testing opportunities are a great thing, but I can tell you that the community of golfers here beats that hands down. 

The criteria will provide highly biased results.  I've built putters, fooled around with  a few designs etc, but I don't self promote and I don't blather on in 100s of threads to make myself feel important., as many here do.

On 5/1/2022 at 8:55 AM, russtopherb said:

A bio can be, and many times, is, puffery.  A photo means nothing. History?  Lots of folks here are filled with their own ego and post as though they know it all. I read so many posts that are filled with misinformation by posters, that I know entering into the fray would be pointless.   There are a few who post often, that are really knowledgeable, and they would be the ones I want testing my product.   If the OEM wants a survey with bias, they should pay for it themselves, and then post the results.

2 minutes ago, flyingwedges said:

A bio can be, and many times, is, puffery.  A photo means nothing. History?  Lots of folks here are filled with their own ego and post as though they know it all. I read so many posts that are filled with misinformation by posters, that I know entering into the fray would be pointless.   There are a few who post often, that are really knowledgeable, and they would be the ones I want testing my product.   If the OEM wants a survey with bias, they should pay for it themselves, and then post the results.

giphy.gif

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

9 minutes ago, flyingwedges said:

Your criteria is horrible.  Few would create a survey with such subjective criteria, as it provides invalid results. If the OEM wants a study that validates his opinion, he should do it himself. If you want true random sampling, then do random sampling.

6 minutes ago, flyingwedges said:

The criteria will provide highly biased results.  I've built putters, fooled around with  a few designs etc, but I don't self promote and I don't blather on in 100s of threads to make myself feel important., as many here do.

2 minutes ago, flyingwedges said:

Dang, didn't realize the thread was mistitled to "How NOT to become a MGS Forum Tester" 😉

But seriously @flyingwedges you are entitled to your own opinion and expressing it. I do think you're narrowly looking at the application of the term 'testing' though. What forum testing is, in my belief and own opinion, is a chance for those who are selected to offer practical knowledge and ideas as to how a certain product may or may not impact the regular player. Being a tester is about discussing how something does or does not help your game and if you believe it can impact people on a larger scale.

No one is saying this beats random seeding or blind testing. In fact, if you want qualitative testing with a set of people being a control group and how a set product performs, good news! The site has the Most Wanted Testing that does exactly what you ask across a myriad of player types and performance levels for a myriad of products.

Again, with all things on MGS, nothing here should be taken as a absolute for every single player, and I feel like that's something that gets lost sometimes in discussing these things. What works for some might not work for you. Take these as a starting point or a guideline for your own fitting experience. If you know what you want, great! If you want cold hard data to point a direction, that's here too! If you want advice from someone you think of as a buddy who you feel you identify with, that's here too! There's room for every type of data pot under this big tent, why exclude?

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

You must be talking about me!  I can' think of a more egotistical photo than my own, holding up my CC4 championship plaque doing my best Ricky Bobby impersonation.  A photo means someone took enough time to set one up, which we've seen correlated to someone sticking around and posting and being involved more often.  It also adds a bit of personality and helps me remember some folks. 

For many, this forum replaces other social media fronts and serves as a community of golf fans who like to talk about things (not always golf related) with some friends we've made here.  We've received a lot of feedback from OEMs that they like the way our testing is structured.  It leads to thoughtful engaging conversations with our membership and provides OEMs with a different kind of feedback.  They already have surveys and magazine ratings, this is different.  Quite frankly, the MGS Forum is different, and that's why I love it here, enough that I decided to apply to become a Moderator and help give back to a great community how I can.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Okay, but that is how the product evaluators are chosen.  MGS forum testing isn’t about validating the OEM opinion, it is about someone taking time to create a series of tests, assess a product, write up their opinion on how that product performs for them, and to highlight the good and bad aspects of the product.  It really isn’t random sampling.  

you are correct.  Not sure why you think the evaluation will be biased but you are entitled to your opinion; I am guessing you believe that people will falsely post positive reviews as you think that is what is expected once selected,  if that is your thought, it is a false assumption as there have been negative reviews of products.  

Posts, forum engagement, photos are a small indication if the person will follow through with the commitment they are signing up for but isn’t a guarantee as there are still people that take the product, provide no feedback, and are never heard from again.   Random would never work as I would guess 90+% of the people that signup to evaluate a product just want the product and would not provide the review.  the methodology selected seems to be working and in the majority of the cases, people follow through with well thought out reviews.  

The people that post on this forum do so as a form of conversation and with that people post their thoughts which could be right or wrong just like any other conversation that happens in the world.   I post my thoughts, opinions, and what I have experienced and try to caveat those opinions as just that my opinions as what I have seen may not apply to everyone.  For fact based information I try to provide a source so that people can see where i got that information from.  Maybe I am wrong on things and would personally like to hear from more knowledgeable people to explain what is wrong and help me learn more.  While you consider if pointless to get into those conversations, that is really what the forum is all about; engagement and education.   

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I'm honestly a little taken back with the response... however I'll bite.

For starters we don't want random sampling. We want member reviews which provide their experience with whatever the product is. We aim to spread most products around a variety of handicaps, ages, new and old members and more. 

It is by no means random that someone is selected. We as a mod team hand pick every single member that is selected for a test. That is no secret. 

Random sampling provides us with questionable results and a higher potential for no review to be completed at all. Giving the OEM no feedback. Even though it can still happen with our selection process it is much less likely. 

Members who are selected must first agree to the terms of accepting the product with the condition of providing a full review for the community. If they are not able to do so then we move to another person. 

Something a lot of members may not realize is we have several that sign up and when selected something in life happens and they have to back out. When we are told this ahead of time we remember that. In a good way. It is great when someone recognizes what these tests mean to the community. It is not a contest to be won, it is an obligation and commitment to the community to provide a in depth thorough review that will help others with potential future purchases or decisions. Someone who bails is also equally remembered, but in the opposite manner. 

Of course feel free to feel how you do and critique our system or the way we select our members, but we truly do have some great reviews posted on this site by our every day members that just enjoy being able to give back to the community by putting their all into a review. 

Random sampling is for contests, not member testing. We will leave the random sampling to instagram, twitter and other SM platforms who draw names from a hat to give away products. This is not a give away and not the way we do things here.

+ 100 to all of these

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

5 hours ago, flyingwedges said:

Heck I was apart of a review for in which things didn’t go as well as expected and the manufacturer didn’t like it so they decided not to submit a product for the yearly testing because of it. So biased I don’t think so! You obviously haven’t done any research before spouting off. Have your opinion as you should but because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it doesn’t work.

If the OEM’s felt the same as you, they wouldn’t be lining up to participate.  

So I’ll ask this instead since my reply was the only one you didn’t engage.

What would it take for you to change your mind based upon feedback from a cadre of some of this forum’s most active and reputable members and moderators?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 hours ago, flyingwedges said:

Were you worried your builds would fall flat on their face? That’s probably the case if you didn’t.

sorry Mods you can slap a warning on me now 😂

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

If the OEM’s felt the same as you, they wouldn’t be lining up to participate.  

So I’ll ask this instead since my reply was the only one you didn’t engage.

What would it take for you to change your mind based upon feedback from a cadre of some of this forum’s most active and reputable members and moderators?

yup pretty sure the OEMs know what they’re doing. Surprised they haven’t hired @flyingwedgesfor their R&D

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

7 hours ago, flyingwedges said:

I honestly don't see it as feeling important, but as an opportunity to share knowledge with a group of people with the same interests. As someone that doesn't have the same equipment knowledge, it is fascinating to learn about different aspects of the game and try to learn from those with more experience in things like club building.

Speaking of which, I would enjoy reading about your putter builds and find that it might prove to be a great way to start a relationship with the forum. We love reading about things like that.