TESTERS WANTED! ×

2023: Want To Be a MGS Forum Tester? Read Here!

GolfSpy_APH
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

DO NOT APPLY WITHIN THIS THREAD FOR TESTING

Want to make your own review on a product and follow our testing template? This is a generic template to follow, however uses the same star rating system that any of the "official reviews" will have for this season and moving forward. (half stars are okay as well). The generic template gives you the opportunity to be a little more creative while following the same general template we will use for any and all official tests.
Here it is: Member Review Testing Template

Please please use the search function before creating a new thread as many of these products/reviews can be posted into existing threads. We can add in a front end message like this one to the top of the thread linking your review to make it more visible on request as well. This helps us keep the forum cleaner and without too many repeating threads. 

Have more questions? Reach out to myself @GolfSpy_APH or any of the other mods via our staff page: Forum Staff 

2023 Update Post: HERE

For more information and data we have an independent study that was done by a member which can be found: HERE!

For those asking how to apply, read the quoted post below. If you still have questions ask away! Looking forward to seeing you around the forum. 

On 2/9/2022 at 4:52 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Hello all! (Apologies for how long this is, but I want to cover as much as I can)

As we approach the 2022 testing season it is a good idea for us as a mod staff and community to welcome all the incoming members and guide them in how to best improve everyones chances of becoming a MGS Community tester. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First please do NOT apply in this thread. It won’t help and any and all signups are done through the individual testing signups throughout the season.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also a few quick house keeping notes before getting into it.
- have questions about the process or anything that may have been left out? Just ask!
- As mods we try to be as transparent as we are allowed to be and won’t hide things from the community as we are members just like you!
- We hope to have a lot of new opportunities this year and encourage everyone to take a look at these pretty basic steps in order to better your chances.
- Don’t want to read through the thread? Check out the FAQ page 

Okay! So a lot of this may be repeat and many of you will already know this, but here we go!

You must be a MGS Forum Member in order to be selected.
- Sounds pretty straight forward, but I ran some of the numbers and on average 90% of our signups are what I would classify as one off signups with 1 or fewer posts. Then if we look at those with 50 or more posts that number is only 2% of the overall signups.

Complete your profile!
- This includes a profile picture - this is one of the first things we look for with tester selections.
- Although the new Player Profile is not a requirement, it is high encouraged and will not only help us, but you and other members. For you, signups will be quicker as much of the info is pulled from your profile and for members it helps them see how their game relates to their own.

Get involved!
- I want to state that we actively work to get a well rounded group for all testing selections. This includes attempting to get at least one brand new tester per test as well as include international members as well.
- That being said, being active on the forum, creating new content for the community is huge. We want to make sure the OEM and community gets the best possible review (I mean completed, not good as in praise) and having a body of work even if minimal is important.
- Only ever involved in sign up testing threads? Not likely going to increase your chances. Just being honest, likely not going to happen.

Really want to stand out?
- Do a unofficial review! We may have more on this coming soon which will hopefully help our review catalogue, but having unofficial review gives us a insight as to what you are able to do! 

- Want to make it a more official unofficial review? Send us a PM and we can provide you with the template that is used for all the official reviews.
Do you have to be a donor?
- No, although being a donor can be used as a tie breaker it is not a necessity to become a tester. Not only that but we cannot see how much anyone has donated.
- While we are on this, if you have donated and don’t have the tag send myself (tag) a PM with your transaction number for it to be added.

That is the basics to becoming a tester. Pretty simple right? We don’t ask for much, but we do want to see these things in order to make our selections more trustworthy.

Now all the other nuances

I believe it is important for us (mods) to be transparent about all of this as again we are members like you as I said.

So for those that don’t know or want a bit of a sneak peak of what happens behind closed doors… or computer screens let me do a bit of a run down for everyone.

Once a test is created everyone signs up and during this process we actively take a look at who has applied and create a short list. We are fortunate to have a wealth of info at our disposal to make this a robust list.

Examples? We look at recent activity, been a tester before? We look at your review(s) grades (more on this later), yes donor status, number of posts, number of reactions, location, handedness, and more.

As well the mods add in notes for thoughts on each member who has made a short list. We also look at what members have tested in the past. If you tested a set of irons the previous year, chances are we won’t look to do another iron selection for this year.

There is no limit to how many members we can have on a short list, it can be 5 or it can be 40. All depends on how everyone feels about the members who have applied.

We aim to have the short list completed within 2-3 days after the signup has closed. It is then roughly a week later that we want our 4 or however many testers are required to be selected and then announced before moving onto the next test.

In order for us to select someone for testing it needs the go ahead from at least 3 mods. This way no one mod can control or have bias towards certain testers.

What happens after being selected?

- A group PM is made with the selected testers asking if they agree to completed and participate in the review process. We expected good efforts on all reviews and for members to follow the guidelines/templates and instructions from the mods during the process. It is perfectly okay for someone to back out. It happens, life happens and maybe the commitment is too much which again is perfectly okay! In that case we go back to our short list and grab someone else.|

- Remember reviews are work and not just winning a prize.

- After everyone has agreed to completing the review and participating we move onto the order process for the product (if fittings are required this can take a little longer) the order is placed through the mods and we wait for the product to arrive.

- During this time intros are worked on and when the product arrives unboxing/first impression posts are completed.

- After everyone has their kit we (mods and testers) discuss a timeframe for when reviews are to be completed (this was a complicated one last year with product wait times…)

- Final reviews are posted then as mods we have more work to do as reviews are graded. This is outlined in the templates for testers to see as well as what makes for a 1 out of 5 and 5 out of 5 and everything inbetween.

- These grades are REALLY important. As if someone bails on a review, it is good luck getting in on another review. We take pride in these reviews and our selections and being ghosted or having someone take zero effort is really disappointing.

- For reference we understand life happens and there can be situations that cause someone to have a review completed late or something come up which make it harder to do the review and are of course lenient. I will send several follow up messages for those that are late in posting or gone mia, but after a few of those I will record it in our overall record that said member has gone mia and should not be considered for further reviews. 

Review grades are used for future selections. Good review scores better a testers chances at another review in a following year where poor reviews lesson those chances. So as a first time tester it is certainly best to do the work and get in a good review IF you want to better your chances next year.

We do our best as a mod team to promote and create engagement within each review thread (last year with the new system was tough we all know), but in the end it is a lot on the testers to put out updates during their review to bring eyes to the thread.

Finally a few general rules of thumb

- Testers are generally only selected for one test per season. Exception being a Golf Ball test or lesser valued items.

- Brand new testers are often selected for lower valued items, like golf balls. However this is not exclusive. Example I was selected for Ping i210 irons with my first ever review. Again it is a general guideline and a first time tester who has put out good content to the community can of course be selected for a higher valued item.

- Testers are generally not selected for the same equipment type year over year. Meaning tested a driver last year? More likely you won’t get a driver test again this season. Again general rule as sometimes it is interesting to see someone test the progress of a product year over year. 

Apply for what you WANT to test. Of course you can apply for everything and anything, but truly it is best to apply for a product that excites you. It is pretty easy for us to notice the same name applying in testing for every single test even when they are currently testing a product! 

Most importantly, enjoy the experience, have fun with it and ask questions. Be creative and although there is a template do what you can within those guidelines and make a unique review that will be remembered.

Finally follow up is encouraged, whether it be with the mods or in the testing thread it is noticed and very much encouraged as members are often still curious about what is going on. 

For those that made it ALL the way down here, well done. Seriously. Have more questions just ask away!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

24 minutes ago, Big moose said:

I will be 68 next month, I am 6' 3" tall weigh 275 and just went to regular flex shafts. My swig speed is 89 mph now. My last  2 sets of clubs were callaway. I would like the opportunity to try a different brand out. Thanks 

Appreciate the background information, unfortunately this isn't where we take me applicants.

That will be when we announce tests. 

This thread is for your benefit in learning how we select our testers and the process of how to better your chances. 

If you have questions let us know and we will be happy to help! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Absolutely,  retired mid handicap, been playing over 50 years. Have played down to a 4 but been creeping up over the years. Played almost every brand of club and ball. Love trying new gear and am very responsive with feedback. 

TaylorMade Stealth HD

Ping i20 5 wood

Mizuno JPX923 Hot Medals 5-G

Ping eye 2 + S and L

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

1 hour ago, Jdneer said:

Absolutely,  retired mid handicap, been playing over 50 years. Have played down to a 4 but been creeping up over the years. Played almost every brand of club and ball. Love trying new gear and am very responsive with feedback. 

This thread is really intended to tell you what to do to improve your chances to be selected.  You might want to go to the very beginning and read the very first post.  The most important thing to do is to participate, welcome to MGS!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 2/27/2023 at 2:42 AM, Rodney Russell said:

yes, I want to be a testing.

On 2/27/2023 at 2:43 AM, Rodney Russell said:

yes, I want to be a tester.

12 hours ago, Jdneer said:

As mentioned previously. Please read the post. 

Signing up here or saying you want to be a tester here will not help your chances at getting selected. The top of the thread says do no apply here. 

If you have questions about how to become a tester please let us know. It is important to read the instructions and posts linked so you can better inform yourself.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

As mentioned previously. Please read the post. 

Signing up here or saying you want to be a tester here will not help your chances at getting selected. The top of the thread says do no apply here. 

Adding on,  testing for this year hasn't started but the PGA, DP, LIV, LPGA tours are in full swing, new equipment has been released, MGS most wanted testing is in full swing so there are lots of topics that are ongoing so you can start working on the participation aspect that is part of being selected.     

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 2/26/2023 at 2:30 PM, chisag said:

...  I would like the opportunity to test a tester. I am not being testy figuratively but testy literally. Have them take a reading comprehension test, then test their test results. 

Where was your post when we had the Odyssey putter giveaway 😁

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 minutes ago, Swampy said:

Get me involved ☺️

Be sure to check out the original post and if you do you'll have a clear guide on what we look for and how to better your chances at being a tester in the future!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

39 minutes ago, Swampy said:

Get me involved ☺️

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Be sure to check out the original post and if you do you'll have a clear guide on what we look for and how to better your chances at being a tester in the future!

I should also add you will really want to make sure you read it and follow it as this year is looking to be one of if not the best year for testing to date!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Just now, ORIGINAL SCARP said:

Interested. Do you want any testers in Canada? I live in Toronto.

Hello!
All depends on the test. We do our best to have most if not all tests international eligible, however it largely depends on the OEM and what they are able to do and provide. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to eventually being a tester.  MyGolfSpy has provided me excellent input and reviews on equipment and balls and would love to give them two-cents worth of info.  Michigan is not the best for testing in the winter months, but I usually spend February and March in Florida.

glnelson7

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Speed 2021 11.5 degree, Rogue Fairway 3W 2019 15 degree, Rogue 4H 2018 21 degree, Rogue 2018 6I-AW irons, SureOut Wedge 58 degree

:cleveland-small: CG Black 3H 2015 19 degree, CBX SW 54 degree 2019

Taylormade Raylor 22 degree 2010

:odyssey-small: White Hot V-Line Mallet 2013 35 in.

5 hours ago, glnelson7 said:

I'm looking forward to eventually being a tester.  MyGolfSpy has provided me excellent input and reviews on equipment and balls and would love to give them two-cents worth of info.  Michigan is not the best for testing in the winter months, but I usually spend February and March in Florida.

I am right with you on this.  I have only been a member of MyGolfSpy for a few months but the information they provide has made a huge impact on what I have purchased. I would have never found Sub70 and now I am a huge fan and have them for most of my bag. I have tied different balls than I would have ever tried and really like them and they are saving me money.  I am sure testing is fair amount of work and I would be honored to do it so I can sort of give back and provide feedback that will hopefully help others like the product feedback I have received in making my decisions.  Living in AZ I get to play year round so I can do whatever whenever.

Driver      PXGLogo.png.1340f112fc949f428cfc644109898c61.png           0211    2021 10.5 - Project X Evenflow Riptide 50 6.0 Stiff
Fairway  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            4W        949X - Project X Mid Launch 6.0 Stiff
                PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    3H         G Hybrid - Alta 70 Stiff
Irons     Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4U         699 Pro Utility - Project X 6.0 Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png              5-PW    639CB Forged Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
Wedges  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            AW       699 Pro - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                              Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            SW       TAIII 54LB - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                MizunoLogoBlue.png.d31312b724dab9151820c2d97b393879.png              LW        S23 Satin Chrome 60.06 X Grind - Project X LZ Black
Putter    368532612_LABGolf.jpg.e21b53ae4c47d5f3cfc2622cc66b2f4e.jpg             L.A.B     DF2.1
Ball        BridgestoneBlackLogo-SmallCropped.jpg.72110691d0627f2c80b847b41fec7f06.jpg             Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    2022 Hoofer Lite in Grey
Shoes   SqairzLogo.jpg.b72c9f55f7b63f0f5f6b531422f8e6ab.jpg  Speed Bold in Black
Glove   RedRoosterLogo.png.8ab7e5022e0052c04f2a8a208b191ceb.png

Would love to be a tester for the Callaway Paradym irons.  My current set of irons are Callaway Diablo, 4-AW.  Might be time to upgrade and testing a set would be great!

Mike - volunteer firefighter & close to retirement NYS worker.

Just now, Mike Nesor said:

Would love to be a tester for the Callaway Paradym irons.  My current set of irons are Callaway Diablo, 4-AW.  Might be time to upgrade and testing a set would be great!

Hey Mike,

Sorry not the spot for sign up and we do have a do not Signup here posted up top. 

Be sure to check out the first post and it will help guide you to getting to learn how we select testers.

It's a good reminder to all that read this thread these are not contests to be won. We hand pick our testers and if someone is brand new and hasn't contributed anything or only posted in testing threads go sign up, well they won't be picked. 

There is a good amount of responsibility to the forum, staff, community and OEM with equipment testing and having a bit of s track record is key for us when getting down to our shortlist.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

New to the forum I did eventually sign up in the correct spot.  Totally understand where you are coming from. Can you please explain what you mean by contributing? Like I said brand new here and would love to contribute anyway I can and willing and eager to pay my dues ! 

Michael Ingrassia

Just picked up my new Paradym Driver and 5 wood yesterday and am considering replacing my Mizuno JPX 919 forged irons with the new Paridyms. Would love to be included in this years testers. Good luck to everyone…

:callaway-small: Jaws 58 wedge

:callaway-small:Paradym 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P, AW, GW

:callaway-small: Paradym 3wood, 5wood, 7wood and Driver

:odyssey-small: White hot OG Seven putter

Just now, Mike ingrassia said:

New to the forum I did eventually sign up in the correct spot.  Totally understand where you are coming from. Can you please explain what you mean by contributing? Like I said brand new here and would love to contribute anyway I can and willing and eager to pay my dues ! 

Contribute meaning getting involved in the community. Gets some posts in threads you like, maybe do a WIYB or even better a Personal club review that shows us your ability to write a review!

There are a ton of threads here for all, and a lot of non golf as well. 

Hop on in and see what this community has to offer you!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 minutes ago, Mike ingrassia said:

Awesome thank you ! Looking forward to it. 

The search feature is great in the beginning before you have a bunch of threads you're following.

In the top right corner, the search lets you put in a thought or a word like "gapping" (works best with a single word) and will bring up every post that mentions it.

I'm always surprised how many people on here are thinking/assessing the same thoughts about golf I'm processing.

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

6 minutes ago, Mike ingrassia said:

Awesome thank you ! Looking forward to it. 

It's a great community and everyone is fanatical about golf.

Welcome 🏌‍♂️

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

Long time lurker but finally signed up.  I have read many reviews and followed the ball testing.  At over 60 and playing competitively, the ball seems be more important and I have settled on Callaway chrome soft for what I perceive as more consistent performance.  This year I would like to get back to getting more spin but that is my needed swing adjustment.  I use the triple track with an Odyssey triple track putter.  The combination has really help with consistency on short putts.