TESTERS WANTED! ×

Game improvement

Paul Hedrick

I am assuming every golfer would like to play better.  My goal has always been to play today better than I did yesterday. It does not always work out that way but that is a post for another time!   Thinking back, I am torn as to what I have done that has improved my game the most.  I have come up with two choices; being fitted for my irons, or simply playing more.  I am uncertain as to which has improved my game the most.  Several years ago my wife, for my birthday, bought me a set of fitted irons.  At the time she told me 'You have to play more'.  LOL who was I to argue?  I am not one to go to the range very much.  Once you learn how to make ball contact, simply hitting ball after ball does not do much for me, in my opinion.  Currently, weather permitting, I play at least once a week.  More if I can sneak by my boss!  LOL

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

I'm picking up what you're putting down. I may go for a tune-up lesson in April/May but my goal for this year is to play more because I think that's where the improvement will come from.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Lessons were the single most influential thing that helped my game.   There have been two points that this was the case.  Back in the 90s when I was scoring in the upper 80s I took a series of full swing lessons and within two lessons I shot a 76; personal best at the time, and quickly started scoring in the 70s pretty regularly and dropped my handicap to a 4.  About a year and a half ago I started short game lessons which also got my short game back on track. Having someone knowledgeable about the golf swing helping you is IMO crucial to playing better.  Playing golf everyday can help but I don’t think you will see the same dramatic effects lessons can provide.   As for fitting clubs,  I do think they can help optimize what you have and can help shave a few strokes off you game.  

@Paul Hedrickyou said that once you learn how to make ball contact hitting ball after ball doesn’t do much for you.   Ball contact is one thing, but good ball contact is another.  For example, I hit the ball fairly well but struggle from a toe strike/pull hook. I don’t see how just playing golf would help me fix that problem.   I can hit 7 out if 10 well one day and 5 out of 10 the next round.  How do you go about fixing swing problems to get better?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Paul Hedrick said:

Thinking back, I am torn as to what I have done that has improved my game the most.  I have come up with two choices; being fitted for my irons, or simply playing more.  I am uncertain as to which has improved my game the most. 

It’s probably a combo of both. Having clubs that work with your swing instead of making a swing to get the clubs to work is going to be helpful in consistency and ease. Playing more typically helps you learn how to get around the course and make better decisions and minimize mistakes. 

2 hours ago, Paul Hedrick said:

Once you learn how to make ball contact, simply hitting ball after ball does not do much for me, in my opinion. 

Anyone can make ball contact. Can they make it in the same spot repeatedly and then can they make it in the sweet spot consistently. Lastly can they compress the ball properly. This last part is what the best players do more times than not. 

For me lessons and practice what I learned in the lessons is what helped me a lot. Playing with better golfers helped me to learn course management helped me as well. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 2/9/2022 at 6:27 AM, cnosil said:

Lessons were the single most influential thing that helped my game...Playing golf everyday can help but I don’t think you will see the same dramatic effects lessons can provide.   As for fitting clubs,  I do think they can help optimize what you have and can help shave a few strokes off you game.  

I feel the exact same way, I have taken 4 lessons now and have noticed a substantial improvement in ball contact and consistency. I have never been able to break 80 so I am excited to see what I shoot once the courses are open. My plan is to play the first half of this year with my current 14 year old clubs and then evaluate what I need more, lessons or some new equipment. Curious to see where this journey takes me!

Avid recreational golfer with a 9 handicap, looking to make major equipment upgrades this year

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra S2 3-Wood 15° with Fujikura Regular flex 65g shaft

Founders Club Hybrids (3 & 4) and Irons (5-PW) with Regular shaft

Cleveland Golf - Wikipedia          50° and 56° CG14 with Zip Groves and 8° & 11° bounce with Wedge Flex shaft

60° REG.588 Tour Action with Wedge Flex shaft

Home - TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Ghost TM 110 Putter 34"

undecided | DevpostUndecided on what Golf Ball to use this year

I had several things impact my game.

The first was having my courses Pro look at my swing and game. It was a very short session. He said your fundamentals are fine you just need to play more to hone your skills. You will learn more on the course than you will on the driving range. I probably dropped 3 strokes off my handicap by playing more. But remember the fundamentals were already in place and I was around a 10 handicap.

The second thing was putting in a simulator. Even though it was an Optishot, I was able to really work on getting the club path correct thus squaring the club face through impact zone. That system looks at the club face and will show you how many degrees open or closed the face was. 

The third thing was being selected for testing. This really forced me to focus more. I had a purpose for practice or play. I had a responsibility to do good reviews. So there was a warm-up, a purposely planned test, and held myself accountable for a detailed report on the result. Then obviously several other planned tests to be able to compile a complete review.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 2/9/2022 at 6:45 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s probably a combo of both. Having clubs that work with your swing instead of making a swing to get the clubs to work is going to be helpful in consistency and ease. Playing more typically helps you learn how to get around the course and make better decisions and minimize mistakes. 

Anyone can make ball contact. Can they make it in the same spot repeatedly and then can they make it in the sweet spot consistently. Lastly can they compress the ball properly. This last part is what the best players do more times than not. 

For me lessons and practice what I learned in the lessons is what helped me a lot. Playing with better golfers helped me to learn course management helped me as well. 

I used to play a lot more than I do now; 4-5 times a week and now only 2-3... unless I am on a golf trip!  I learned how to get around MY course, but that doesn't translate well to an unfamiliar course.  Being able to properly strike the ball does translate into better golf... no matter where you play.

Over the last couple of years I have been focusing on improving my swing and ball contact through Monte clinics and his videos.  I still have a long way to go, but I did shoot my lowest scores last year.  I really didn't understand what "compressing the ball" was and what I have to do in my swing to achieve it.  Lessons are huge for me, and the best part is that I really enjoy the interaction and challenge to accomplish what I'm supposed to do.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I really didn't understand what "compressing the ball" was and what I have to do in my swing to achieve it.

I think this is true for nearly every normal golfer. It was either last year or year before that I was talking with a friend in Cali who said the samething until he had some work with him on his swing. It’s something I struggle with as well and working on it myself. 

The one thing I used to like about going to Congressional for Tiger’s tourney was sitting on the range and watching the pros hit balls. The sound on all their shots sound nothing like what you hear on the range or course. I remember watching Tiger at the practice round for the presidents cup at RTJ in VA. Was on the tee box when he hit driver. Never heard a sound like that in golf before

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Lessons were and are a big help for me, but getting on the course more was also helpful as well to hit shots from different lies and distances. Lots of different ways golfers can improve based on what they personally need to do. 

19 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The one thing I used to like about going to Congressional for Tiger’s tourney was sitting on the range and watching the pros hit balls. The sound on all their shots sound nothing like what you hear on the range or course. I remember watching Tiger at the practice round for the presidents cup at RTJ in VA. Was on the tee box when he hit driver. Never heard a sound like that in golf before

I love going to TPC Boston and sitting on the range. Holy cow the impact sound & flight from pro golfers across the bag is just otherworldly. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 2/9/2022 at 8:27 AM, cnosil said:

Lessons were the single most influential thing that helped my game.

Ditto. When I joined MGS in Dec. 2018 I figure I was somewhere around 25-30 handicap. Broke 90 once in my life during college when I was playing 2-3 times a week. In 2019 I got my handicap down to an ugly 11-something just by playing more, going to the range everyday and watching YouTube. I call it an "ugly" 11 because my swing was awful all around, driver went 240 total on "perfect" swings but would go 180-210 way right. I just played a slice and went with it.

I stated taking lessons in Nov. 2019 and have taken about 10-12 since then (with the rate I pay, honestly I've spent about as much as a new driver in total). While my handicap has only dropped as low as a 7-something last summer, golf is more fun and I'm continuing to see improvements in my game. I'm no longer playing a slice around the course and have the expectation that I can go low any day. I shot even par once last summer and am itching to go out and do that again.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

24 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Lessons were and are a big help for me, but getting on the course more was also helpful as well to hit shots from different lies and distances. Lots of different ways golfers can improve based on what they personally need to do. 

I love going to TPC Boston and sitting on the range. Holy cow the impact sound & flight from pro golfers across the bag is just otherworldly. 

I don’t remember if it was 2010 or 2011 but I had Thursday tickets and DJ was at the end of the range hitting balls. It was a stripe show like I’ve never seen. I stood behind Charles Howell and watched him hit irons. They were some of the crispest shots I heard that day. The last year it was the at& when tiger played there was my favorite. I was watching woodland smash balls, Vijay comes overs and sets up on two places over to the left of him where there want even a station and he’s hitting driver off the deck. Then the security forces start showing up and you know tiger is coming. I was lucky to be in the spot I was in. He was one spot over from where I was. His contact was different than anyone else. I could sit on the range all day and watch the pros hit balls

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, gerardoweaver said:

I'm a newbie to golf. I love it, I even download and play golf games on my Android phone whenever I'm free.

Uh oh!  He's got the bug... way to go!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 8 months later...

Practice, lessons, more playing time, fittings. All good stuff. I play a lot, at least three times a week, so for me that's the ticket for steady ball striking. Real improvement for me means analyzing what happened between the ears. I generally hit solid balls so the best thing for me is to analyze a round after I play. Not talking a full on strokes gained thing, more a process of where did my head work go wonky. Did I rush a decision or swing, was a goal clearly in mind for the shot, did I take on to much. We don't have to many level shots on my home course, so did I clearly aim for the shot shape I know I usually hit off that lie? Since I pretty much am always going to go for it, did I super prepare for that swing? Was my mind rehearsal clear? Once I set up to the ball, did I close the mind to any other thoughts. Which pretty much works for all parts of my game other than putting which sucks and is mostly the only thing I practice.

Thinking about why these questions weren't answered before the shot keeps me from making that mistake again, at least for awhile. I feel I had a good round if I was present for most shots and accepted the result. Score is not all that important.

Actually, I may be kidding myself because if you could see me putt, you would know why process is more important and scoring isn't!!!! I would shoot in the mid 70's every time if I could just make a bloody putt.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

• 2 months later...