Ask Me Anything - Matt Blois | Golf

thechrisgibbs

AMA

Along with everyone else thank you so much for taking the time to do this. We really appreciate it and we are all truly excited to see what you will accomplish in the future!

You've done a lot of testing... As a lefty myself what club have you seen in RH only that you really wish was made on LH for you to try out?

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

⛳🛄 as of Sept 7, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

Love it!

Matt on mental health 1) what do you think the biggest contributing factor is for athletes and those folks like yourself in the limelight? 2) What do you find is the most helpful with those struggling (whether that is meetings or something that people can do every day like workout etc)

• Like 7

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Yes!  Matt!  

First, thanks for joining us for an AMA!  You’ve got quite a fan base here on the forums.  I was moved by your recent move to create an organization to help those in need with mental health issues.  To not only share your story publicly, but have the vision and drive to help others must have taken a lot of courage.  I hope that you and Preserve get all the attention needed and can flourish under your lead.  I know I will be sharing whatever stories and posts I can to support you in that endeavor, as I’m sure other members here will.  It truly is an amazing cause and thank you for that.

Now,  Some more lighthearted golf related questions.  What is the biggest thing you’ve learned about your game since starting on the road to becoming a YouTube golf sensation?  Do you have any idea what you’re handicap would be if you played from the right side of the ball?  Your swing already looks pretty good there.  And last, what is your biggest struggle to take your game that we all see on the simulator and in test environments to the course?  Watching you hit virtually the same spot over and over is awesome and maddening at the same time, even if we didn’t see all the shots!

Thanks again for taking the time to join us for an AMA!

• Like 6

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus TR Red 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

Hi Matt! I loved watching you over on the TXG channel. A couple of questions:

1) You're like a robot hitting the ball. Do you spend more time practicing or playing?

2) I don't know if you can or care to get into it, but what was the biggest reason for the TXG split? It seemed that you and Ian had such amazing chemistry when you were both on camera or behind it. 

I wish you all the best!

• Like 6

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Welcome Matt, Thanks for doing this.

So my questiion is, Was editing my fitting video the toughest edit job you had to do in the 4 years of the channel 🙂

Thanks and looking forward to seeing what comes in your next chapter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Matt, I want to say I’m very proud of you for sharing your challenges with all of us. I lost my brother to depression this past July, so thank you for what you’re doing to show men it’s ok to go get help and confront these issues. It means a lot to me personally. I’m praying for you!!!

As time went on at TXG we knew you were going through numerous swing changes and going to various coaches. You are now working with Tyler McGhie, whom I’ve had the pleasure of working with as well, and he teaches a specific type of swing. My question is why did you switch between at least two coaches in the last couple years, and what specific swing issues were you facing that prompted you to look for someone new? Then, how do you know it’s time to look for another set of “eyes”?

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Driver: Honma TR 460 8.5*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 S, 45 1/4"; Ping G425 LST, Fujikura Speeder TR 661 S, 45 1/2"

hybrids: Cobra King Tec 17* and 21*, both with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105 X

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4-6, ZX7 7-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil F4, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Hey Matt! Thanks for taking the time to visit with us on the forum! The more we see people address mental health and wellness, the more approachable and de-stigmatized it becomes: best of luck in your endeavors!

As a high swing speed player, what gains do you realistically expect to see year over year from driver releases? 

• Like 3

0CDA9F85-FD71-4495-9BD9-CF9DB38DF4E5.png

Like the comments before, thank you Matt for opening up about your own mental health struggles, many of us suffer on the shadows because it is an invisible disease, a lot who have to face this struggle in a daily basis do not open up, because of the unfortunate fear of being ridiculed about it.

I do also appreciate the efforts with Preserver to help those struggling mentally, having lost family and friends to suicide, as well as having family members who attempted and failed to commit suicide, it hit hard and very close to home when you think that someone might be suffering so much that the only way they se out is by ending it all. Again that is absolutely awesome of you and I am glad that you found the help you needed in the past year.

Now for my golf questions:

First, can you teach me to play golf left handed? right handed has not worked well, so a change might help.

Second, what can a Tuesday league high handicapper do to improve his/her game?

Lastly, what does the future hold for you, any big plans? Maybe a Matt Blois golf academy in the works?

• Like 6

My Reviews:

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Hi Matt - really enjoy your work.  My question is how does all that indoor golf affect your outdoor golf game? Does the practice make you a better outdoor player, does it lead to bad habits when playing "real golf" off grass... after a long cold winter, I would assume that keeping your swing in tune is important, but what have you noticed happens to your game after hitting so much indoors?  I ask because I've only been able to play indoors this winter and I'm not sure what to expect when we go out in the sun again. Thanks in advance.

• Like 5

Hi Matt, 

Thanks for taking time and answering our questions, my question is what piece of Golf equipment that you tested surprised you the most ? 

• Like 4

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Thank you so much for doing this!! 

With all of your experience at TXG, what would be one thing you wish the golf industry would change about demos and/or fittings?

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Matt, I already said this on one of your videos but I'm so happy to see you on YouTube, and even more happy to see you healthy and doing what you love. Thanks for coming on here to do this AMA. I have two questions.

1. What are your goals in the game of golf? You're putting so much work into getting better and it shows. Do you want to compete at some point? If so, at what level? Or, is it just that you're a competitive person and strive to be better than you are?

2. I was the person that sent you and Ian the Edison Forged wedges that you guys did a review on. Ian did the testing for the video, but with you having such a good righty swing I have to know if you tried them out. You spoke nicely of them in the video but I always wondered if you were able to hit them.

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone Big Tour 13.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small: KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: :srixon-small: ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: Maxfli TourX (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

GPS: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch (Thanks MGS!)

What is your fondest memory of golf as a kid or young adult? 

• Like 3

Avid recreational golfer with a 9 handicap, looking to make major equipment upgrades this year

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra S2 3-Wood 15° with Fujikura Regular flex 65g shaft

Founders Club Hybrids (3 & 4) and Irons (5-PW) with Regular shaft

Cleveland Golf - Wikipedia          50° and 56° CG14 with Zip Groves and 8° & 11° bounce with Wedge Flex shaft

60° REG.588 Tour Action with Wedge Flex shaft

Home - TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Ghost TM 110 Putter 34"

undecided | DevpostUndecided on what Golf Ball to use this year

Again like others, thank you for speaking publicly about mental health. You never know who needed to hear your story that day. 

Golf question: when I see you bombing the ball as far as you do, I wonder what is the hardest part of the game for you? 

Thanks again for doing this! 

• Like 5
  • Ping G10 3 Wood, 15.5°
  • Cobra Baffler, 3 hybrid 
  • Mizuno MP-67, 3-PW
  • Ping Glide Forged Pro, 52° & 56°
  • Evnroll, ER2

Like the comments before, thank you Matt for opening up about your own mental health struggles, many of us suffer on the shadows because it is an invisible disease, a lot who have to face this struggle in a daily basis do not open up, because of the unfortunate fear of being ridiculed about it.

I do also appreciate the efforts with Preserver to help those struggling mentally, having lost family and friends to suicide, as well as having family members who attempted and failed to commit suicide, it hit hard and very close to home when you think that someone might be suffering so much that the only way they se out is by ending it all. Again that is absolutely awesome of you and I am glad that you found the help you needed in the past year.

Now for my golf questions:

First, can you teach me to play golf left handed? right handed has not worked well, so a change might help.

Second, what can a Tuesday league high handicapper do to improve his/her game?

Lastly, what does the future hold for you, any big plans? Maybe a Matt Blois golf academy in the works?

• Like 3

My Reviews:

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Excited about your new channel Matt! You've been doing great work. 

I'd love to hear about your practice plan/habits. How do you divvy up your time?  Full swing, short game, putting. Do you have a plan each day/week that you stick to?

• Like 3