Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Spaulding Tour golf balls urethane cover

RATOUR7

When did Spalding return to golf--or is it actually a new company called Spaulding?

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I've seen these balls at Wal-Mart and they're a good price ($24.99) for a urethane ball, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on them as I don't know anything about them. I can get the MaxFli tour at 2/$60 and I've heard good things about them. Hopefully, someone will have some thoughts on the Spalding. 

It was my impression that Callaway bought all the rights to Spalding golf balls and then sold the "Top Flite" name to Dick's.

If it's really a Spalding product, it would mark the return of one of America's very first golf equipment companies.

Wouldn't mean much to younger folks, I imagine.  

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Callaway bought the Top Flight brand name and most importantly I them, the intellectual property. They have since sold the name to Dicks.

Spalding is now the property of Nitro golf, and came full line of balls. The Tour and Tour X are three piece urethane balls now on close out at RBG. They are as good as any ball on the market for less than the most skilled among us, at least that is the few few reviews I found.  Don’t know what the others are like. 

I'm not a golf ball experimenter.

I don't like to think about the ball at all,

so I usually don't change models until the ball that I'm using goes out of production.

For nostalgia's sake, however, I'd like to try the new Spalding ball if it's still around in April.

If I didn't notice a difference, I'd save a lot of money playing it.  Either way, it's worth the price of a dozen to try, just for fun.

I played the original 336 dimple Spalding Top Flite model from when it was introduced until IT went out of production.

I play the Pro V1x now, which is substantially differnt in playing characteristics, but not nearly as much as wound Titleists used to be.

I remember when Spalding, Wilson, and MacGregor were the "Big Three" in golf--clubs anyway.  Dunlop and Titleist were also big in balls.

All three were like Mizuno--sporting goods companies as opposed to pure golf companies.

They all made inexpensive department store model clubs, but their serious equipment was sold only at green grass pro shops back then.

The modern "Big Five,"  Callaway, Cobra, Ping, TaylorMade, and Titleist, are all pure golf brands.

Plus they're not just sold on actual golf courses anymore, obviously.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

8 hours ago, BostonSal said:

It was my impression that Callaway bought all the rights to Spalding golf balls and then sold the "Top Flite" name to Dick's.

If it's really a Spalding product, it would mark the return of one of America's very first golf equipment companies.

Wouldn't mean much to younger folks, I imagine.  

Callaway purchased all of Spalding’s golf property out of bankruptcy in 2003 in a bidding war with TMaG (who then acquired Maxfli from Dunlop later that year). Spalding Golf included the Top Flite, Strata, Hogan brands and all golf IP, the Spalding name was not included. Callaway sold the Top Flite name to DSG and the Hogan name to Perry Ellis in 2012. 

This new revival of Spalding balls is under licenses by Reliable of Milwaukee who is behind the Nitro brand and a few refurbished/refinished brands. The balls are produced white label by Feng Tay in Vietnam (also produces the Vice Pro Zero).

Edited by storm319

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

Back in the late 70's when I began playing golf, I played a Spalding ball. Actually had a hole-n-one with one.

image.jpeg.0132c23adb1e9fda8906b011ff759dde.jpeg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

21 hours ago, storm319 said:

Callaway purchased all of Spalding’s golf property out of bankruptcy in 2003 in a bidding war with TMaG (who then acquired Maxfli from Dunlop later that year). Spalding Golf included the Top Flite, Strata, Hogan brands and all golf IP, the Spalding name was not included. Callaway sold the Top Flite name to DSG and the Hogan name to Perry Ellis in 2012. 

This new revival of Spalding balls is under licenses by Reliable of Milwaukee who is behind the Nitro brand and a few refurbished/refinished brands. The balls are produced white label by Feng Tay in Vietnam (also produces the Vice Pro Zero).

Thanks for the info!

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Spalding:

image.png.980c98f9f4e0365c4b739f86fda3d41b.png

Spaulding:

image.png.86dcac791bfa07d3fa0eaa975c2cd036.png

You'll get Nothing, and LIKE IT!

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I bought a few dozen SD Tour X balls on eBay last fall and I’m working my way through them.  Overall, I like them…they are noticeably firmer than my normal ball, TM Tour Response, and they may spin a bit more but I wanted to try them out due to price (roughly $1.25/ball) and the MGS mantra of soft is slow.  I live on the Oregon Coast and they aren’t great into the wind but not horrible either; they spin a lot so what do you expect.  The covers seem to scuff a touch more than the TM, but honesty at the price I just pull out another ball and don’t worry about it.  They do get some off looks from my random playing partners, but as long as you’re fine with that, I’d recommend them for winter balls. 

I think I'd feel better if Spalding were actually making the balls rather than licensing the name.

Callaway has taken over their Massachusetts ball making factory, however.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 2 weeks later...

This was the absolute worst ball I have ever hit

They felt dead

I bought a dozen of the SD Tour at Wal-Mart for $17.99 and it was not worth it

The ball was at least a club short on irons and felt dead when putting.  I had to really nail the ball to get it to on a putt.

They lasted 3 holes and I went back to my ball and my ball was flying normal, so it was the ball.

I might have gotten a bad batch, but I am not going to try it again.

Maybe your experience would be different but mine was bad.

I'll stick with the Snell

Driver: Cobra RadSpeed 9.5*

5 wood: PING G425 16.5*

Hybrid: PING G410 22*

Irons: PING G 400 5-UW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54*/ Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter: PXG Closer 34'

Ball: Wilson Triad

On 2/14/2022 at 7:43 AM, Tiftaaft said:

Spalding:

image.png.980c98f9f4e0365c4b739f86fda3d41b.png

Spaulding:

image.png.86dcac791bfa07d3fa0eaa975c2cd036.png

You'll get Nothing, and LIKE IT!

The ball you have pictured about a year or so ago Wal Mart here had them---- A friend of mine bought 2 dozen and gave me a sleeve. They went good for me and I had no problem spinning them and he liked them too. Went back to Wal Mart and they never had any more at least not here. My bud even though he has won a lot of Srixon balls plays the Kirklands they sell now and swears by them

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, sg419 said:

This was the absolute worst ball I have ever hit

They felt dead

I bought a dozen of the SD Tour at Wal-Mart for $17.99 and it was not worth it

The ball was at least a club short on irons and felt dead when putting.  I had to really nail the ball to get it to on a putt.

They lasted 3 holes and I went back to my ball and my ball was flying normal, so it was the ball.

I might have gotten a bad batch, but I am not going to try it again.

Maybe your experience would be different but mine was bad.

I'll stick with the Snell

See comment above--- You  may have had a bad batch or maybe they just were not the fit for your swing or game. One ball does not fit all. On the putting I can see some difference especially if you are like using an Odyssey putter with an insert.  I use an older Scotty without an insert or either an old Ironmaster. I had no problem with the feel on putting. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G